Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

  1. #1

    Default Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    Really? Its not that serious

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...iamscavs092010



    Life after LeBron: Williams tries to move on
    Marc J. Spears

    By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports 5 hours, 37 minutes ago

    *
    Share
    *
    retweet
    * Email
    * Print

    Mo Williams(notes) is 27, healthy and has three years and $26 million remaining on his Cleveland Cavaliers contract. But none of that mattered much to him this summer after he watched LeBron James(notes) leave the Cavs to join the Miami Heat. Williams said he was so depressed by James’ exit that he considered walking away from the NBA.

    “That’s how bad it got,” Williams said. “I contemplated it. I really sat down and envisioned life after basketball. …I really saw myself not playing.
    Mo Williams teamed with LeBron James to lead the Cavs to the NBA's best record from 2009-10.
    (NBAE/Getty Images)

    “It just didn’t make sense to me. …It doesn’t make sense to me.”
    More From Marc J. Spears

    * Milwaukee's test: Chemistry 101 Sep 14, 2010
    * Anthony prefers move to Bulls, Knicks Sep 8, 2010

    Williams played alongside James the past two seasons, serving as the Cavs’ starting point guard and second-leading scorer as they finished with the NBA’s best record two years in a row. Cleveland’s regular-season success, however, didn’t translate to the playoffs, where the Cavs fell short of reaching the NBA Finals both times. Still, Williams felt comfortable in his role next to James. He was named to the All-Star team in 2009 and remained hopeful that, together, they could deliver a championship to Cleveland in the 2010-11 season.

    Those hopes all but disappeared on July 8 when James announced he was leaving. By the time of James’ televised special, Williams had heard from enough people around James to know his days of playing next to the two-time reigning MVP were over – even if Williams didn’t want to admit it.

    “As anyone tied to the Cavs, you want to be in denial,” Williams said. “…You never want to say, ‘Yeah, OK, he’s gone.’ ”

    Williams didn’t hide his disappointment, even tweeting in the hours after the announcement that he hoped James would change his mind. Williams also publicly expressed his regret for how James broke the hearts of Clevelanders and for the earlier firing of coach Mike Brown, who had lost James’ support.

    “I had to get it off my chest,” he said.

    Williams said he and James remain friends, but he’s also tried to use the past two months to move on.

    “You get back here to Cleveland, get around the new coaching staff, start a few workouts, get around the young guys and basically accept the fact that we are not what we once were,” he said. “We don’t have the No. 23 jersey hanging in the locker before every game now.”

    James wasn’t the only key figure in the organization to leave in the offseason. Brown was fired and eventually replaced by Byron Scott. Former general manager Danny Ferry parted ways with the franchise, and his assistant, Chris Grant, was named the new GM. Assistant GM Lance Blanks left to help run the Phoenix Suns. The Cavs didn’t make any headline moves, acquiring role players in guard Ramon Sessions(notes) and center Ryan Hollins(notes), while trying to preserve future roster flexibility. Veteran forward Antawn Jamison(notes) is still on the roster, but both he and Williams could eventually find themselves on the trade block as the Cavs continue to rebuild.

    “This summer was very, very stressful for me,” Williams said. “I really lost a lot of love for the game this summer.

    “You play this game for one reason. You play to win games and win championships. I couldn’t understand why a lot of things were happening to our organization, to a really good basketball team. I couldn’t really understand it. And when you don’t understand things, it can really stress you out.”

    Williams is slowly adapting to the new Cavaliers, who, along with their new coaching staff, will have a new offense that will be heavy on pick-and-rolls. Scott might play Williams at shooting guard with Sessions or Daniel Gibson(notes) running the point. In addition to being relied upon to score more, Williams inherits additional leadership responsibility with James and veteran center Zydrunas Ilgauskas(notes) gone.

    “It’s crazy because ever since [James left], everybody I see, they approach me and say, ‘Hey, you’re going to be able to play your game now,’ ” Williams said. “ ‘You are going to be able to show everybody what you got,’ or ‘you’re going to be able to do this.’ I was happy with my role. We were winning basketball games. I was coming home every night a winner.

    “Who can’t love that? That is what playing a role on a team is all about. …Everybody can’t be the star. I was perfectly comfortable being that piece.”

    How long will it take for Williams to grow comfortable with his new role? Not even he knows. But after two months, he also understands it doesn’t make much sense to sit around pining for his departed teammate.

    “We just got to go to work, man,” Williams said. “…At the end of the day we still have to move forward because the only people who feel sorry for us are the ones who have the Cavs uniform on and whoever is in the stands rooting for the Cavs. That’s it. Everybody else could care less.”

  2. #2
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left



    I've never liked Mo Williams. Just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. This doesn't help his cause

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I've never liked Mo Williams. Just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. This doesn't help his cause


    I remember that GW shot he made against us like 5 years ago have to admit I didn't like him during that moment back when he was with the Bucks

  5. #4
    High Flyers ThA HoyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasco, wa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    Maybe lebron wouldn't have left if he showed up more consistently in the playoffs... O

  6. #5
    PROUD 2 B A PACERS FAN! xtacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TURKEY
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,748

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I've never liked Mo Williams. Just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. This doesn't help his cause
    exactly my thoughts.

  7. #6
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    I'm not sure if that's the kind of mentality I'd want out of my starting Point Guard.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    He went from going on his hands and knees pleading that he doesn't want to leave the Cavs now he's willing to stop playing basketball.

    I'm sorry, but I look at what he's considering to be a loser thing to do.
    Last edited by Trophy; 09-21-2010 at 07:34 AM.

  10. #8
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,184
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    When does his contract expire? Might be trying to go to Miami.......
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    pacer fan since 88-89 Mr_Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis/Noblesville
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,505

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    Mo has got to be kidding me
    Give the ball to your best playmakers to win

  13. #10
    PROUD 2 B A PACERS FAN! xtacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TURKEY
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,748

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When does his contract expire? Might be trying to go to Miami.......
    may be he's trying find another team to choke in the playoffs.

    i never liked him but this thing made me start hating him. he's the definition of a loser.

  14. #11
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    He sounds like a jilted girlfriend swearing off men.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  15. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,657

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I've never liked Mo Williams. Just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. This doesn't help his cause
    Really? I guess it is just a matter of how you read the article and what you place emphasis on.

    I would have to say that if I were playing Robin to LeBron's Batman, I would be extremely hurt and disappointed if my teammate left me high and dry, too. I don't know if that would be enough to make me walk away from $27M, but it would certainly rattle my cage a bit. And, I would probably sulk a bit while trying to figure out how to make it work.

    But what I culled from the article is that Williams is a player who created the most of his role. More importantly, there was no animosity about his role, he knew, accepted and was extremely willing to play his role every time he put on the uniform. He and LeBron were on the same page, as were all members of the their team. A lot of making all the pieces work is not just the will of your star player and your coach to define the roles, but is up to your point guard to execute it and make it happen.

    I guess as I have written this, that I have become even more bitter toward LeBron. The Cavs had a great coach, someone that I've always liked and respected. And, why again was it he was forced out?

  16. #13

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? I guess it is just a matter of how you read the article and what you place emphasis on.

    I would have to say that if I were playing Robin to LeBron's Batman, I would be extremely hurt and disappointed if my teammate left me high and dry, too. I don't know if that would be enough to make me walk away from $27M, but it would certainly rattle my cage a bit. And, I would probably sulk a bit while trying to figure out how to make it work.

    But what I culled from the article is that Williams is a player who created the most of his role. More importantly, there was no animosity about his role, he knew, accepted and was extremely willing to play his role every time he put on the uniform. He and LeBron were on the same page, as were all members of the their team. A lot of making all the pieces work is not just the will of your star player and your coach to define the roles, but is up to your point guard to execute it and make it happen.

    I guess as I have written this, that I have become even more bitter toward LeBron. The Cavs had a great coach, someone that I've always liked and respected. And, why again was it he was forced out?
    He couldn't get a 60 + win team to a title let alone a Finals appearance(when he did they didn't win that many games) I think he had to go regardless however they probably figured that would get LeBron to stay.. Um nope

  17. #14
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe lebron wouldn't have left if he showed up more consistently in the playoffs... O
    Thank you! He should've considered retiring after the way Rondo embarrassed him in the Playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  18. #15

    Default Re: Mo Williams considered retiring after LeBron left

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He sounds like a jilted girlfriend swearing off men.
    I didn't want to say it...

    I can understand players coming to a team just because of a particular player (or coach), but really? You're going to base your entire career on whether or not an All-Star caliber player stays or goes? Pardon me for saying, but how much of a puck (and that's being mild) does one have to be if he doesn't believe in himself enough to carry on without a player? Must you be so connected at the hip that you can't cut the umbillecal and move on? I mean, really!

    Mo Williams, get over it, dude! LeBron's gone. As the 2nd-leading scorer currently w/the Cavs either you step up as a player and takeover the team and lead it or you step aside and make room for someone else to come in who you can once again stand in his shadows, ride coat-tail and get your nose all up in there and...

    Y'all know what I mean. 'Nuff Said!
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 09-22-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Marvin Williams might be available
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
  2. Cadillac Williams article
    By birdman in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 10:58 AM
  3. Jay Williams
    By wickedstick in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 02:35 PM
  4. OT - Insider NFL Mock Draft
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •