Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

Watched both videos and Kemo is right. If we had a solid roster we were happy with and a couple open spots, I would sign that guy for the PR value alone. I don't know how many other NBA players can speak that well... maybe a handful. Very inspirational.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know how many other NBA players can speak that well... maybe a handful. Very inspirational.
    LOL , hell As I alluded to above.. I don't know that many people period (let alone NBA players), that can speak that well..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Hi. I'm Lance's college roommate. Answers to a few questions:

Yeah, the hearing is a problem on the court. But he has incredible peripheral vision, which is usually the case with deaf people. He relies sooo much on sight that I think it almost is an advantage. Body language is something he reads extremely well.

His parents left the polygamist sect when he was younger. In fact, I had no idea he came from a polygamist group when we were roommates. He kept that under wraps for obvious reasons (imagine trying to date!).

He can hear (slightly) with a hearing aid, if there is no ambient noise. He does not wear his hearing aid in an NBA arena.

Yes, he is very well spoken and very well read. He double major'd in history and english and was actually a "student-athlete".

Obviously, I'm rootin' for him and I'm biased.

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to larsondjs For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Wow..Can we just cut Solo and TJ now..and give him a spot? I gotta give him a lot of respect. I think Catch is legally deaf. She also said the same thing about the hearing aids, she used to not wear them. It wasn't until Pat Summit said to her "I wear glasses because I can't see that well, you need to wear your hearing aids to help you hear" before she started wearing them regularly.

OCD is an interesting one, although I think it's more prominent in athletics than people realize.
    Last edited by Sookie; 09-20-2010 at 10:27 PM.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who was the first illegally deaf player?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tsm612 View Post
    What's that supposed to mean?
    He's probably surprised, as am I, that it's not extremely common knowledge that Granger disassociates himself from the national anthem. Don't get me wrong, I have 0 problem with it and feel like people should be able to do what they want. I'm just pointing out between that, and this guy coming from a polygamist community, the Pacer's look like they're cornering the market on the alternative religion front.

LOL - imagine if this guy hits some game/series winning shot one day and starts to thank people; it may top RonRon thanking his psychiatrist when this dude says "I'd like to thank my wife...and my wife...and my wife".

I've mentioned it before, but I live in Utah, and a guy I play pick-up ball with mentioned that Allred is now LDS mormon (as opposed to other smaller mormon sects--like the one he originally belonged to). So it looks like the Pacers now have a mormon and a JW.

This same guy also told me that the Pacers drafted a mormon kid from BYU way back in the early eighties. I looked it up and his name is Devin Durrant. Interesting stuff...

Wow, I didn't know Granger was a JW

Maybe Larry Bird wants to get the most diverse set of white guys he can find

Quote Originally Posted by elcharanguista View Post
    This same guy also told me that the Pacers drafted a mormon kid from BYU way back in the early eighties. I looked it up and his name is Devin Durrant.
    So close, yet so far away...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indyaway View Post
    He's probably surprised, as am I, that it's not extremely common knowledge that Granger disassociates himself from the national anthem. Don't get me wrong, I have 0 problem with it and feel like people should be able to do what they want. I'm just pointing out between that, and this guy coming from a polygamist community, the Pacer's look like they're cornering the market on the alternative religion front.

LOL - imagine if this guy hits some game/series winning shot one day and starts to thank people; it may top RonRon thanking his psychiatrist when this dude says "I'd like to thank my wife...and my wife...and my wife".
    If you took the time to read anything about (it has even been brought up in this thread) Allred you would see that his family disassociated themselves from the polygamist community when he was 13 years old.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by larsondjs View Post
    Wow, I didn't know Granger was a JW

Maybe Larry Bird wants to get the most diverse set of white guys he can find
    Man, I must be really down on my Pacers knowledge...I didn't know Granger was white now...

Jeez louise....

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Man, I must be really down on my Pacers knowledge...I didn't know Granger was white now...

Jeez louise....
    Sorry, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

Jeez louise....
    I must be different, because that definately made me chuckle. I find it funny because it shows just how out of touch the whole "Larry Bird only wants white guys" theory really is.

To be honest, I thought he was joking, but maybe not seeing his comment after this one.

Quote Originally Posted by larsondjs View Post
    Sorry, my bad
    Haha, it's alright.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Wouldn't be surprised if we see more Mormon basketball players. Used to live in Salt Lake City and almost all of the churches? temples? (sorry, no offense meant, don't know correct nomenclature) have gyms inside of them. It was great for pick-up games during the summer.

Of course, there have already been a few Mormon ballers, including Danny Ainge, Shawn Bradley, and a few others, I'm sure.

And I should also note that "Mormon" is very different from "Fundamentalist, Polygamist Mormon" and I'm not sure if Lance keeps any ties to the more mainstream religion.

Anyway, bottom line, good for him.
    2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by indyaway View Post
    I don't think that's what he was saying, though. Here is his comment that I was refering to:

I'm actually kinda surprised he's been a pacer for this long and this is surprising.
    Why be surprised that he's still a Pacer? Because of his religion? Does he think Pacer fans or the front office would demand that he be traded because of his religious views, or rather, a lack of having the same view as the majority of fans? I may reading into it, but to me it looked like an accusation of religious bigotry. That's why I asked him for clarification.

Personally, I don't understand why this is getting so much attention. Why does anyone care what religion our players are?

...did you seriously stop reading my post mid-sentence at the parts that your yourself bolded?

It meant exactly what indyway said it meant. I don't understand how anyone could possibly read it any differently.

If you'd like, you're free to read however you like. I personally find it hilarious that you took it as a bigoted accusation of the entire Pacers organization. That's a Bob Beamon-sized leap, and I'm very curious to see where you're going from there.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-22-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ...did you seriously stop reading my post mid-sentence at the parts that your yourself bolded?

It meant exactly what indyway said it meant. I don't understand how anyone could possibly read it any differently.

If you'd like, you're free to read however you like. I personally find it hilarious that you took it as a bigoted accusation of the entire Pacers organization. That's a Bob Beamon-sized leap, and I'm very curious to see where you're going from there.
    No, I read the whole sentence. I bolded the part that I was referring to. The second half of the sentence was saying something separate from the first half. And no, I wasn't saying that it was a bigoted accusation of the entire Pacers organization, (did you read all of my post, or just the part that would be the easiest to exaggerate?) but seemed like more of a jab against Hoosiers in general. You have to know very well what some of the stereotypes are.

I'd still like clarification about your original post. I understand that you're surprised by Granger's choice of faith, but that doesn't explain why you're surprised he's still a Pacer. Indyway's post in no way explains why you would say that. So tell me: why, because of Danny's choice of faith, are you surprised that he's still a Pacer?

When exactly did I say I what surprised me was that Granger was still a Pacer? Why am I even surprised by his choice of faith? I've known he was a JW for nearly half a decade now. I was the one that brought it up to begin with!

When exactly did I say I what surprised me was that Granger was still a Pacer? Why am I even surprised by his choice of faith? I've known he was a JW for nearly half a decade now. I was the one that brought it up to begin with!
    There's a picture of Granger standing during the medal ceremony, but just starting blankly ahead away from the flag with his hands down at his sides. If you didn't know his background, it's easy to mistake him for being a jerk, because his face looks like he doesn't want to be there.

I'm actually kinda surprised he's been a pacer for this long and this is surprising.

Also, are you or are you not surprised about Granger's choice of faith? You just said that Indyway's post is exactly what you meant, which was that you were surprised.

Again...

Wow. Now you're not only reading my post wrong, but you read indyway's wrong as well...

What I wrote:

What you read:

I'm actually kinda surprised he's been a pacer for this long. This is surprising.

What indyway wrote:

He's probably surprised, as am I, that it's not extremely common knowledge that Granger disassociates himself from the national anthem.
    what you read:

He's probably surprised, as am I, that Granger disassociates himself from the national anthem.
    Stop reading what you want to read.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-23-2010 at 12:44 AM.

I like Allred. I should. I have had to have a hearing aid in one ear (10 percent hearing without an aid) since I was 3, I have about 40 percent hearing in the other ear, I have a form of autism (Asperger's Syndrome), I became a sports editor, and I gave seminars to other editors about management styles. However, after 39 years of marriage, for my own safety I don't think I'll mention to her the subject of taking a few other wives.

Wow. Now you're not only reading my post wrong, but you read indyway's wrong as well...

What I wrote:

What you read:

What indyway wrote:

what you read:

Stop reading what you want to read.
    You were correct that I read Indyways post incorrectly. I apologize for that. But you still didn't clarify your post for me.

I'm actually kinda surprised he's been a pacer for this long. This is surprising.
    Both of these statements are exactly the same, except the second one is the grammatically correct one. I'm not reading what I want to, but rather the way it should be read. The first one is a run-on sentence, meaning there should be a period after long, "and" should be dropped, and "this" should be capitalized. Those sentences are literally saying the exact same thing. This is why I asked for clarification before jumping to conclusions and attacking what I thought you were trying to say.

Actually, they really aren't the same thing. You just lack comprehension and took it totally out of context by reading it in a vacuum.

Good lord. Instead of making this "a thing," why not just explain what you were saying instead of all of this nonsense?

All that needed to be done was to clarify.

I'm actually kinda surprised he's been a pacer for this long and that this is surprising to Pacer fans.
    Fixed!

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: