Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 71 of 71

Thread: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

  1. #51
    Member tsm612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Noblesville
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, they really aren't the same thing. You just lack comprehension and took it totally out of context by reading it in a vacuum.
    Sorry, but they actually are the same exact statements. The first one is not actually a sentence because it has two independent clauses. You either have to split them into two sentences or rewrite it so it's a complex sentence with an independent clause and dependent clause. Otherwise, the reader will disregard them as being unrelated. An easy fix would have been to insert "that" in the sentence.

    I'm actually kinda surprised he's been a pacer for this long, and that this is surprising.
    That gives the sentence a new meaning, and the meaning you were going for. Since the second half of the statement is now a dependent clause, the reader knows that it's essential to the meaning of the independent clause, or the first half of your statement, something that was missing from your original post.

    If you meant to say "I don't understand why so many people are surprised by this, considering that Granger has been on the team this long" then perhaps that's more like how you should have stated it. No part of your post showed that was the context that you were using it in. In fact, I read it as just the opposite. The entirety of your post was that Granger is a JW and that he doesn't acknowledge the National Anthem. If you were relying on context to make up for the fact that your statements lack clarity, then your post should have mentioned something about how this should be common knowledge.

    If you believe that I'm taking it out of context, tell me which part of your post indicates that it's surprising that not everyone knows this.

  2. #52
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Quote Originally Posted by tsm612 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you believe that I'm taking it out of context, tell me which part of your post indicates that it's surprising that not everyone knows this.
    Did you read the earlier posts, or was that too much to ask?

  3. #53
    Member tsm612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Noblesville
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you read the earlier posts, or was that too much to ask?
    Again, I don't see where I was taking anything out of context. I'm reading things within the context of your post. It's not my fault that you were vague. I understand that others were confused by his behavior, and that you came to enlighten everyone as to why he acted this way. But for all I know, you could have just recently discovered this yourself by reading the other thread. (I brought up the fact that Danny's a JW in another thread right after they won the gold.) Hence, why you could have also been surprised. That's the drawback to conversing online. You're talking to strangers, people who don't know you for the most part, who also can't read your body language or hear the tone in your voice. That's why things need to be communicated in a clear manner, and also why people shouldn't become so easily offended when their statements are said to not be very clear.
    Last edited by tsm612; 09-23-2010 at 01:39 AM.

  4. #54
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Actually, it is your fault that you were the one person confused by this, were given clarification by another poster, and then demanded further clarification from me. It's not my job to convince you that my post wasn't vague. You were given an explanation a long time ago, and you kept at it. That's on you.

  5. #55
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,006

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Haha, amazing discussion this!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  6. #56
    Member tsm612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Noblesville
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, it is your fault that you were the one person confused by this, were given clarification by another poster, and then demanded further clarification from me. It's not my job to convince you that my post wasn't vague. You were given an explanation a long time ago, and you kept at it. That's on you.
    Excuse me for not knowing that you let other posters speak for you. For some reason, I thought you were responsible for the things you say. I don't care if you do or do not try to convince me that your post wasn't vague. It just would have been nice if you would have offered up clarification without throwing a temper tantrum and getting unnecessarily nasty, though that seems to be your calling card. I even hesitated in asking for clarification in the first place, having seen the manner in which you talk to others who seem to disagree with you. That's fine. I'm done here. I'll go back to disregarding your posts, and you can go back to your ivory towers.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:


  8. #57
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Sorry, but I refuse to legitimize your claim by re-writing it to fit your sensibilities. It was made clear to you by more than one person, including myself, what that post meant. I even left about 58 subtle hints that wouldn't have been more obvious if I beat you over the head with them. If all of that isn't enough for you, then you and your high horse can go wanting. I care not.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-23-2010 at 02:20 AM.

  9. #58
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,645

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Ahhh, our resident Pistons fan/professional instigator is up to his usual shenanigans. Sorry I bothered to read this nonsense.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  11. #59
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Can you ever forgive me for my unnecessarily provocative post that consisted of:

    To clarify, Danny Granger is a Jehovah's Witness, and among other things, they believe in separatism from many social functions, including patriotism, which means they do not acknowledge the national anthem.

    Of course, this begs the bigger question why he wore a uniform that said "USA" on it for a month, but I'm not a JW, so maybe there's a loophole or something.

    There's a picture of Granger standing during the medal ceremony, but just starting blankly ahead away from the flag with his hands down at his sides. If you didn't know his background, it's easy to mistake him for being a jerk, because his face looks like he doesn't want to be there.

    I'm actually kinda surprised he's been a pacer for this long and this is surprising.
    I know it's a lot to ask, given the obviously offensive nature of said post, but maybe you can find it in your heart to forgive me?
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-23-2010 at 02:44 AM.

  12. #60
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,827

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Chill, Kstat. You worded that sentence very awkwardly and a number of people probably had to parse it a few times to get the right meaning out of it.

    How hard is it to just restate it if someone interprets it differently than you meant, rather than assume they are morons and act like it was obvious. In this case, it really wasn't.

    You meant:

    I'm actually kind of surprised this is surprising, given he has been a pacer for this long

    but a VERY valid reading in a forum context would be:

    I'm actually kind of surprised he's been a pacer for this long. He's been a pacer for this long and this is surprising.

    It is an unfortunate consequence of so many people (not you!) not paying attention to their wording and preferring to be fast and witty rather than accurate. It means people get used to fighting their way through bizarre construction and having to make meaning from unusual sentence structures.

    Sentences with no punctuation and multiple thoughts will almost always get misinterpreted, usually minimally and harmlessly, but sometimes in ways that spiral off toward the pits. When in doubt, make two sentences:

    He's been a pacer for this long and this is surprising? I'm actually kinda surprised [at that].

    RULE: If the other person doesn't understand what you said, the communication failed. It doesn't matter who is at fault, the communication failed.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  14. #61

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Anyway, back to Lance.

    I live in Ohio, gonna drive out to catch Lance in the preseason. I've only been to a handful of NBA preseason games, most pretty mellow. I'm assuming Pacers are the same in that regard, right?

  15. #62
    Old school Dab or new Dab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Gosport
    Age
    42
    Posts
    879
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    BillS said about everything that I was thinking regarding the phrasing controversy. I know that when I post, I have what I want to say in my head and it may have a certain inflection there that doesn't across when it's read by others.

    Awww, that last paragraph wasn't phrased well either, never mind.

    Congrats to Lance! My sister is deaf, and a proud graduate of the Indiana School for the Deaf and Gallaudet University, so of course I'm pulling for him.

  16. #63
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,645

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Congrats to Lance! My sister is deaf, and a proud graduate of the Indiana School for the Deaf and Gallaudet University, so of course I'm pulling for him.
    First off, every time I see Lance in this thread I think of Lance Stephenson out of habit. Makes for some fun reading

    Second, that's awesome. I took four semesters of sign language at IU. All the professors (except for the intro course lady) were deaf, so it was a nice little glimpse into deaf culture. All the deaf people I met were extremely nice, and very touchy, if that makes any sense. We took a trip up to the Indiana School for the Deaf up in Indy, which they said was one of the nicest such schools in the country.

  17. #64
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,840

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Quote Originally Posted by indyaway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's probably surprised, as am I, that it's not extremely common knowledge that Granger disassociates himself from the national anthem.
    I'm actually not kinda surprised he's been a pacer for this long and this is surprising because nobody actually attends pacers games anymore.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


  19. #65

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Center Lance Allred will likely be cut. He was brought in as an extra body for camp.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...Ctext%7CSports

    Is this columnist usually pretty accurate? If so, it was fun while it lasted. Y'all had the most interesting 17th man in the NBA for a few weeks

  20. #66
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,159
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Quote Originally Posted by larsondjs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...Ctext%7CSports

    Is this columnist usually pretty accurate? If so, it was fun while it lasted. Y'all had the most interesting 17th man in the NBA for a few weeks
    Usually pretty reliable, but it was kind of common knowledge with most of us hardcore Pacer fans that Lance was a big body for training camp. It sucks cause it seems the kid is nothing but pure class, but I'm sure he'll get a gig somewhere else in the NBA or one of the other leagues around.

    We will all wish Lance Allred the best once/if he's released, and maybe you can be a rival team fan of his on this board still. It was nice to get a real inside source about his talents and his story and skill set.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:


  22. #67

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Usually pretty reliable, but it was kind of common knowledge with most of us hardcore Pacer fans that Lance was a big body for training camp. It sucks cause it seems the kid is nothing but pure class, but I'm sure he'll get a gig somewhere else in the NBA or one of the other leagues around.

    We will all wish Lance Allred the best once/if he's released, and maybe you can be a rival team fan of his on this board still. It was nice to get a real inside source about his talents and his story and skill set.
    Yeah, kinda figured that once I saw your contract situation.

    One good thing about when Lance made the Cavs... I live in Ohio, and bought an Allred jersery, rather than a LeBron jersey While Lance isn't a Cav anymore, it is still wearable. I saw some LeBron Cav merchandise about 95% off at a store the other day. May as well just donate that stuff to impoverished countries.

    I hope he's still a Pacer by Friday, as I have plans to drive to Indy for the Magic game.

  23. #68
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,159
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    I'd see no reason why they'd cut him before that date. They'll prolly wait till near the last minute to cut him.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  24. #69

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Conseco Fieldhouse! Awesome! Love it, I think I may come to a couple of regular season games, with or without Lance Allred. Got a post-game pass, made eye contact with Larry Bird. That dude has serious swagger.

    Pacers hooked him up with a nice hotel room and a good car for camp and preseason (2010 Buick LeSabre, fits 6'11" guys well), which is nice. Much nicer than some of Lance's D-League perks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd see no reason why they'd cut him before that date. They'll prolly wait till near the last minute to cut him.

  25. #70
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Quote Originally Posted by larsondjs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Conseco Fieldhouse! Awesome! Love it, I think I may come to a couple of regular season games, with or without Lance Allred. Got a post-game pass, made eye contact with Larry Bird. That dude has serious swagger.

    Pacers hooked him up with a nice hotel room and a good car for camp and preseason (2010 Buick LeSabre, fits 6'11" guys well), which is nice. Much nicer than some of Lance's D-League perks.

    Glad to see you enjoyed your trip to the "House that Reggie Miller built", and to see that the Pacers are treating Lance right.
    Grown Man Ball

  26. #71

    Default Re: Pacers Sign 1st Legally Deaf Player, Lance Allred

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glad to see you enjoyed your trip to the "House that Reggie Miller built", and to see that the Pacers are treating Lance right.
    That's exactly what I thought when I walked in! "This is the house that Reggie built"

Similar Threads

  1. Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center
    By Lance George in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2258
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
  2. Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0
    By Whtwudusay in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
  3. NBA Image problem - what or who do you blame?
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 09:41 AM
  5. Tbird analysis: 2009 draft night leaves more questions than answers
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •