Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

  1. #26
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,141

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    What better shooter is there than a 37-year old Ray Allen that is progressively losing his range every year? I could give you a couple dozen.

    That would be an insult to pick up that fossil when you have the entire American-born population of the NBA to choose from. Same with a 38-year old Marcus Camby who won't even be a starter in 2 years.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-16-2010 at 09:36 PM.

  2. #27

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I don't get it. What exactly does he do better than Gordon? Yes, he's more apt as a PG than EJ, but we already have a TON of points to choose from for 2012, and Gordon is a better scorer and defender.
    Honestly, it's just the name. He's a shooter, he was on the world team..that's all it is.

  3. #28
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,141

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    I don't quite how we got to the point where we're going to take mediocre players and put them on the olympic team because they happen to be 3-point specialists. Where was the 3-point specialist on the original two dream teams? They both had shooters who were also great players.

  4. #29
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,055

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't quite how we got to the point where we're going to take mediocre players and put them on the olympic team because they happen to be 3-point specialists. Where was the 3-point specialist on the original two dream teams? They both had shooters who were also great players.
    International ball isnt quite the same as it was when the original Dream Team was assembled. IMO, you need to add some "mediocre" players to today's team to balance it out... With a team full of stars, you have redundancy in the skill sets that they bring... So you find some players to fill the holes... Not to mention the me first mentality that exists... To many stars on a team anymore... To many egos to keep in check...

    And how many players are there today that are considered "great" and also "shooters"... I cannot think of very many personally...

  5. #30
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,141

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    The 3-point line is moving back, and the paint is being shortened to NBA size. FIBA is moving away from the 3-point reliance, if anything.

  6. #31
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 3-point line is moving back, and the paint is being shortened to NBA size. FIBA is moving away from the 3-point reliance, if anything.
    Don't you think, if anything, that's more of a reason for the USA team to have a 3-point specialist on their roster? I mean, if they're trying to "move away" from the 3-point line, then why not bring on a guy who can hit that same shot in the NBA at a high percentage and have it be an extra weapon in the USA Arsenal?

  7. #32
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,141

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    No, it means the 3-point line is going to become less essential to winning games at the international level, and you'll probably see more conventional lineups as the years go by.

    A team with Durant, Roy, Kobe, Paul, etc. has enough pure shooters on it already anyhow. They don't need someone to camp behind the arc.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-16-2010 at 10:08 PM.

  8. #33

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    Not that different from yours KSTAT. I do think Westbrook will start at PG. I picked Lopez for backup center because Bynum has so many injury issues. I know he isn't a teenager but Odom played so well in the Worlds I can't leave him out. Besides he is a better than Carmelo Anthony who is only really good at taking lots of shots.

    My lineup

    C: Dwight Howard
    SF: Kevin Durant
    PF: LeBron James
    SG: Dwayne Wade (Kobe won't play)
    PG: Russell Westbrook

    Bench:

    Centers: Brook Lopez
    Forwards: Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Lamar Odom
    Guards: Eric Gordon, Chris Paul, Brandon Roy

    BTW: good post

  9. #34
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, it means the 3-point line is going to become less essential to winning games at the international level, and you'll probably see more conventional lineups as the years go by.
    I sort of agree in that the three point shot will probably lose a little importance, but not much. International players learn the game differently than American players. That's why so many of these 7' guys can drain threes and stretch the floor. They learn fundamentals a little more. Their guards, by and large, don't have the quickness to penetrate the lane like they do here, so it's tougher for them to blow by people and score in the paint.

  10. #35
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,141

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    I'm highly amused that a 7-foot basketball player that can't play with his back to the basket can be praised for "fundamentals"....

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  12. #36
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm highly amused that a 7-foot basketball player that can't play with his back to the basket can be praised for "fundamentals"....
    Okay, I can rephrase it if the wording irks your majesty. How about something like, "International players learn the game differently, because they play the game differently. They value the increased reward of the three point shot and shooting the basketball."

  13. #37
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,141

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    We'll see how much that changes when the kiddie line moves back, and the 3-second lane moves closer. The post game might actually mean something now.

  14. #38
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We'll see how much that changes when the kiddie line moves back, and the 3-second lane moves closer. The post game might actually mean something now.
    ...but probably not, because none of the big men over there have a back to the basket game.

  15. #39
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,141

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    the rules were a big reason for that.

    In the short term, it just adds to the dominance of American basketball. In the long term, it'll make better basketball players out of them, because they are going to be trained to do more than just set picks and shoot 22-footers.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-17-2010 at 04:16 AM.

  16. #40
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the rules were a big reason for that.

    In the short term, it just adds to the dominance of American basketball. In the long term, it'll make better basketball players out of them, because they are going to be trained to do more than just set picks and shoot 22-footers.
    If you say so. I'm a little more skeptical that they adapt their game to the NBA when it doesn't really benefit them to do so, but I'll go with it.

  17. #41
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,141

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...

    It benefits them now. The 3-point line is farther away and the paint is closer in.

Similar Threads

  1. The PD NBA Draft - Selection 10 - New Jersey
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 06:26 AM
  2. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 7
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 01:46 AM
  3. The PD NBA Draft - Selection 5 - Memphis
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 03:45 PM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 4
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 08:33 PM
  5. Can someone please cut & paste this article?
    By Los Angeles in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 10:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •