Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Trade Jamal Crawford

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Let's Trade Jamal Crawford

2) The Atlanta Hawks trade Jamal Crawford to the Indiana Pacers in exchange for T.J. Ford and Dahntay Jones

Despite the offensive prowess Crawford has unleashed in the Hawks lineup, lockdown defense has not nor will it ever become a strong part of his game. Last season departed head coach Mike Woodson set him loose in his heavy isolation offense.

Times are changing as Drew has went on record this summer stating that he'll want more defensive accountability from his team and the offense will feature much less one on one isolations.

Enter Dahntay Jones, who has carved out a longer career than most projected on the strength of aggressive, tenacious and ball smothering defense. Last season, Jones posted career-highs in points and rebounds at 10.2 and 3.0 respectively. He is also owed only $8.1 million over the next three seasons. Guys that can consistently annoy players such as Dwyane Wade, Ray Allen, and Vince Carter on the defensive end are at a premium. Jones is one of the rare players out there willing and able to roll up his sleeves in order to handle the dirty work. His perimeter defense would be an instant asset.

Keep in mind, the Pacers organization remains high on Jones, but the Hawks' main objective in this deal would be prying T.J. Ford and his $8.5 million expiring deal out of Indy.

Using the term pry might be too strong of a sentiment, since Ford has routinely rotated in and out of head coach Jim O'Brien's doghouse. The Pacers have been actively shopping Ford all summer and after acquiring last season's rookie surprise, Darren Collison, it would appear that Indy would like to ship Ford out before the start of training camp. From the Hawks perspective, bringing in a proven veteran such as Ford gives Teague another year to learn the ropes. Plus, the two players possess similar dribble-drive speed games which would give Teague even more seasoning on how to maximize all the tools within his skill set.
    Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz0zWXHLLcU

Would you guys take a look at that move? It rids us of Ford, but not sure what type of contract Crawford would be looking for
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: Let's Trade Jamal Crawford

That's a move that doesn't excite me nor does it make me upset. I've always kind of thought Crawford was chucker, but he's a talented scorer and can light you up in a hurry.

Not to mention, Dahntay and TJ would be gone, giving us one other spot for Magnum.

I could live with it I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a move that doesn't excite me nor does it make me upset. I've always kind of thought Crawford was chucker, but he's a talented scorer and can light you up in a hurry.

Not to mention, Dahntay and TJ would be gone, giving us one other spot for Magnum.

I could live with it I suppose.
    I was in between. I mean on the one hand it gives us a TJ Ford free team, on the other Crawford is a scorer but also a tweener

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have too many wings as it is and this trade doesn't do anything to alleviate that problem. I like JC but adding him to the mix would only take minutes away from Paul George and slow his development.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I'm not a huge fan of Crawford, but I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Clear a roster spot, get rid of Ford, slash future salary, and bring back a starting caliber player who can play both guard spots? Sounds good to me.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Crawford, but I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Clear a roster spot, get rid of Ford, slash future salary, and bring back a starting caliber player who can play both guard spots? Sounds good to me.
    You would not really be cutting salary, if you intend to hold onto Crawford. He wants an extended contract for fairly high dollars.

He is a bit of a chucker, but I had not heard that his defense was that weak. Can anyone add comments about his D?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

like it cause we could trade him at the deadline to a good team for good value or keep him which i would like 2

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, considering that JC torches us pretty much every time we play against him, maybe the "If you can't beat em..." mentality isn't such a bad thought...
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Well it gets you out from under TJ and really D Jones too. I'm not a Crawford fan for exactly the reasons they say, he's not good defensively, but honestly, he's no worse than what Danny's been giving them.

As for Crawford's salary expectations, he's crazy, he's not getting 10 million a year. If so, let him walk.

The log jam a the wing wont' be worse, really. I think they are going to alleviate that by playing Posey and DG at the PF, much to our dismay. Honestly, I think D Jones' defense is woefully overated.

I really don't see a down side on this trade. He improves your team now, he's an expiring contract, he moves TJ, and D Jones smaller, but longer contract. To me, it's a no brainer.

On the good side, Crawford has really been pretty clutch throughout his career. He'd clearly be the best two guard available on this team at this point.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    You would not really be cutting salary, if you intend to hold onto Crawford. He wants an extended contract for fairly high dollars.
    He is a bit of a chucker, but I had not heard that his defense was that weak. Can anyone add comments about his D?
    Overview: A very talented offensive-minded shooting guard. Has solid size for the two at 6-4 without shoes. Possesses a terrific 6-10 wingspan. Adds great quickness and leaping ability as well. Shows good lateral quickness defensively. Not very strong, and could stand to add some muscle to his frame. A very capable shooter with the ability to get to the rim. Will tally some assists, but looks for his shot first. Doesn’t offer much on the defensive end. Played at the storied Rainier Beach HS in Seattle. Needed only one season at Michigan to propel himself into the lottery. Scored at an impressive rate for a freshman in the Big Ten. Took a couple of seasons to adjust to the NBA, but became a prolific scorer by his fourth season in the League. Brings a lot to the table on the offensive end, but doesn’t have the efficiency to be relied on to carry the load. Typically a league-leader in minutes and field goal attempts, but struggles with his shooting percentages and defense. Puts up big per-game numbers on bad teams, and has never played on a winning team in his career. Gives back off the court and has matured quite a bit during his career.

Offense: A talented scorer that puts up great numbers with mediocre efficiency. Gets about half of his offense running pick and rolls and going one-on-one. Will also get some touches as a spot up shooter in drive and dish situations and in transition. Has a nice jump shot with good arc and nice lift. Good three point shooter, but can get streaky. Very good in catch and shoot situations, having the ability to create separation coming off screens and shoot with a hand in his face. Shows the ability to drive in either direction and pull up for jumpers. Not a great shooter when forced to pull up going right, opts to go left much more often. Will over-dribble at times when he doesn’t create separation immediately, tending to go right into the heart of the defense and force up some tough running jumpers off-balance. Very good with the ball in his hands, showing great change of direction quickness with his crossover and a lot of nice hesitation moves. Not a great finisher at the rim due to his lack of strength. Still goes to the line at a good rate and isn’t entirely averse to taking contact. Shoots a great percentage from the foul line. Does a good job finding his teammates when he’s pushing the ball or turning the corner on the pick and roll. Turns the ball over at a fairly low rate due to how heavily he relies on his jump-shot. Will put up great numbers, but is better suited as a complimentary scorer than a leading one.

Defense: Has the lateral quickness and length to a factor, but tends to shy away from taking advantage of his tools when he’s not motivated. Comes up with a few steals by virtue of his incredibly quick hands and superb wingspan. Doesn’t make hustle plays, but shows some anticipation and timing. Won’t show a lot of effort playing defense on the ball. Tends to avoid getting in a low stance, allowing slower players to beat him into the lane. Will go under some screens and has a hard time fighting to get through solid picks on the perimeter. Gets a hand up when his man looks to score, but doesn’t get in position to effectively use his length. Usually opts to sag off his man, allowing him to accumulate some mid-to-long rebounds over the course of a game. Isn’t a great weakside defender either. Doesn’t leave his man, which is a good thing, but closes out very high and will sometimes take himself out of the play. Often winds up having to guard taller players, making it hard for him to be effective. Was much more effective defensively when he was coming off the bench and was playing with a sense of urgency.
    From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz0zWoEAjcp
    http://www.draftexpress.com

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post

Crawford's salary is about the same as Ford's and Jone's combined. He is also in the last year of his contract and wants an extension.

Because he is in the last year of his contract and is a players that would easily break into our rotation, I'd say this deal would be a no-brainer.

Further strengthening the deal is the likelihood that Crawford is a highly desirable asset probably coveted by several teams. Since we have already traded our Murphy, having Crawford would give us a very tradeable asset that we would probably be willing to part with. I think that Crawford could be used to acquire a very good player around the trading deadline or as part of a sign-and-trade next summer.

This deal would give us a player that would play a key role for us as long as we choose to keep him in exchange for a player that the Pacers do not want on their roster. And, both players are in the last year of their contracts. The decision on this trade is about as simple as it gets; perhaps even simpler than the decision to part with Murphy to acquire Collison.

if we were to do this, would we ultimately be helping them retain Horford?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    No. If anything, we'd be affecting their cap situation by adding $2.7 million to their 2011-2012 payroll (and if Dahntay picks up his 2012-2013 option, they'd have $2.9 million on the books for that season).

I like the trade because it gets rid of two players, allowing us to sign Rolle. Getting rid of Ford for Crawford to me is mostly neutral since they are both expiring. Getting rid of Dhantay is a positive because it mean we don't have his contract on the books, and puts him on a team where he may have a better chance of playing.

Sports Logo

I don't understand the need for a PG by the Hawks if they have Bibby. On top of that, unless they have determined that Jeff Teague is more of a SG then he is a PG....then I'd think that they want to continue to see what Teague can do for them. Getting TJ maybe a move to solidify their roster for the Playoffs that would not affect their bottomline.

I don't mind moving Inferno....but I'd want to get a clearer picture of what we do ( if anything ) with BRush and Lance.

Also....if the only way that Crawford accepts this trade is by taking an extension....then my answer is "pass". My guess he's going to ask for a huge one. He's a very competent scorer...but I don't want him as a long-term answer at the SG spot.
    Last edited by CableKC; 09-14-2010 at 03:28 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd do it and be thinking about trading JC come the trade deadline, if the right deal came along.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Also....if the only way that Crawford accepts this trade is by taking an extension....then my answer is "pass". My guess he's going to ask for a huge one. He's a very competent scorer...but I don't want him as a long-term answer at the SG spot.
    I agree with this. The only way this is worth it is if we can easily and quickly get rid of him.

I agree with CableKC and Eleazar. I want to give PG a chance to win the starting job at SG. He might not start the season at the starting spot, but if we get Crawford for the long term, where does that put PG. On the bench? I want to at least give him a chance, because I am betting that in Jan or Feb PG will show he is the answer at SG.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Nope. Not interested. T.J. will expire a year from now anyway. If need be let him sit on the sidelines or in the stands, I don't care. If it's better then to make a deal for a player who we don't need while losing some grit in Jones then I'm opposed to this move.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    We have too many wings as it is and this trade doesn't do anything to alleviate that problem. I like JC but adding him to the mix would only take minutes away from Paul George and slow his development.
    Unless PG shows that he's an impact player in his rookie year at training camp, I'm more inclined to believe that PG will take a hit in the minutes department with Dunleavy and ( most likely ) Posey in the mix for minutes in the next season or two. My guess is that he will get as many minutes as Granger did in his rookie year.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Unless PG shows that he's an impact player in his rookie year at training camp, I'm more inclined to believe that PG will take a hit in the minutes department with Dunleavy and ( most likely ) Posey in the mix for minutes in the next season or two. My guess is that he will get as many minutes as Granger did in his rookie year.
    I could live with that.

78 games 22.6 minutes

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Nope. Not interested. T.J. will expire a year from now anyway. If need be let him sit on the sidelines or in the stands, I don't care. If it's better then to make a deal for a player who we don't need while losing some grit in Jones then I'm opposed to this move.
    what if it helps us sign Magnum?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Then I'm still not sure if this is the right move. You need some veterans in your team also on the defensive end.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Then I'm still not sure if this is the right move. You need some veterans in your team also on the defensive end.
    couldn't Posey fill that role?