Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford's take on the Pacer's offseason improvements... from ESPN Insider

Default Chad Ford's take on the Pacer's offseason improvements... from ESPN Insider

3. Indiana Pacers

Key additions: Darren Collison (trade), James Posey (trade), Paul George (draft), Lance Stephenson (draft)

Key subtractions: Troy Murphy

Larry Bird and David Morway may have pulled off the trade of the summer in August. Desperately in need of a point guard and some fresh blood, they were able to grab Collison in a four-way trade that cost them just Murphy.

Collison is the point guard the Pacers have been longing for … forever. As a rookie starter for the Hornets during the second half of last season after Chris Paul went down with an injury, Collison averaged an impressive 18.8 ppg and 9 apg, while shooting 48 percent from the field and 43 percent from 3-point range. Those are rookie of the year numbers. Pair him with Danny Granger and an emerging Roy Hibbert and the Pacers finally have a young core to build around.

The Pacers also made some noise in the draft. George has Tracy McGrady-type talent. Whether he ever lives up to his abilities is still up for debate -- but at the 10th pick in the draft, he was worth the gamble.

The real steal, however, could be Stephenson. The second-round pick wowed scouts in the Orlando summer league with his play and drew a few comparisons to last season's rookie of the year, Tyreke Evans. A domestic assault charge for Stephenson and a five-game drug suspension for Brandon Rush put a bit of a damper on the summer but shouldn't set the team back too much.

The Pacers now look as if they have a legit shot at making the playoffs this season and should be $20 million under the cap next summer. After a long dark spell, things are finally looking up in Indy.

Grade: A-

Not a bad review, we're 3 behind Miami and Washington. Was going to post the whole article but it's quite long...

Link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...es-East-100914
    Last edited by dadscout; 09-14-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: adding link
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dadscout For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Chad Ford's take on the Pacer's offseason improvements... from ESPN Insider

Quote Originally Posted by dadscout View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3. Indiana Pacers

Key additions: Darren Collison (trade), James Posey (trade), Paul George (draft), Lance Stephenson (draft)

Larry Bird and David Morway may have pulled off the trade of the summer in August. Desperately in need of a point guard and some fresh blood, they were able to grab Collison in a four-way trade that cost them just Murphy.

Collison is the point guard the Pacers have been longing for forever. As a rookie starter for the Hornets during the second half of last season after Chris Paul went down with an injury, Collison averaged an impressive 18.8 ppg and 9 apg, while shooting 48 percent from the field and 43 percent from 3-point range. Those are rookie of the year numbers. Pair him with Danny Granger and an emerging Roy Hibbert and the Pacers finally have a young core to build around.

The Pacers also made some noise in the draft. George has Tracy McGrady-type talent. Whether he ever lives up to his abilities is still up for debate -- but at the 10th pick in the draft, he was worth the gamble.

The real steal, however, could be Stephenson. The second-round pick wowed scouts in the Orlando summer league with his play and drew a few comparisons to last season's rookie of the year, Tyreke Evans. A domestic assault charge for Stephenson and a five-game drug suspension for Brandon Rush put a bit of a damper on the summer but shouldn't set the team back too much.

The Pacers now look as if they have a legit shot at making the playoffs this season and should be $20 million under the cap next summer. After a long dark spell, things are finally looking up in Indy.

Not a bad review, we're 3 behind Miami and Washington. Was going to post the whole article but it's quite long...

Link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...es-East-100914
    Chad Ford has always been pretty kind to the Pacers (in reviews)

I like how they say George has "McGrady like talent" but then say that Lance wsa the steal of the draft and "wowed" everybody at the SL
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: Chad Ford's take on the Pacer's offseason improvements... from ESPN Insider

Other than Chad's apparent ignorance with regards to the severity of Lance's charges (unless he knows something we don't), I agree.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

it is interesting to read a national perspective on the Lance and Rush situations

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With Lance being back I would say there is substantial evidence proving his innocence. Otherwise, IMHO, his little timeout would probably still be in effect.

Ford has really been a heavy Bird apologist for quite some time. I'd put more stock in what Hollinger has to say.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan View Post
    With Lance being back I would say there is substantial evidence proving his innocence. Otherwise, IMHO, his little timeout would probably still be in effect.
    It probably just means the Pacers could have a harder time waiving him and keeping the money (players bargain) before he's convicted. Sort of the whole, "innocent until proven guilty"

before he's convicted.
    It really sounds like your taking this case personally. So much so that you referred to Lance's situation with the above quote

How will you feel if he is found innocent? Will you look at him as someone who "got off" rather than someone that was falsely accused?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    it is interesting to read a national perspective on the Lance and Rush situations
    Ford doesn't seem to think much of it at all. Maybe the perception that the Pacers are a bunch of "thugs" hasn't left the Indianapolis area, but the national perception of the Pacers might be more positive now that Tinsley and SJax are long gone. Just speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawne#4 View Post
    Ford doesn't seem to think much of it at all. Maybe the perception that the Pacers are a bunch of "thugs" hasn't left the Indianapolis area, but the national perception of the Pacers might be more positive now that Tinsley and SJax are long gone. Just speculation.
    I am sure it is. think how long iot took Portland to rid themselves of being called the "jailblazers"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    Ford has really been a heavy Bird apologist for quite some time. I'd put more stock in what Hollinger has to say.
    He really has. If you go back and read his reviews on the Pacers' summers and drafts for the past 3 or 4 years, he almost always gives them a higher grade/review than anyone else. I think he has a good relationship with David Morway, actually. He touts Morway a lot and never fails to mention him in a "top candidate to run an NBA team" type of discussion.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I really hope all of this offseason stuff kind of just blows over. The positive things form this offseason way out weigh the negative. I don't condone what Lance did, but didn't Jason Kidd get in trouble for domestic violance back when he was with New Jersey or Pheonix? He go past it. I know he was a proven player then, but he was older and should of had more life experience and should have known better. Lance is young and maybe we give him a second chance.
    He can become a spokesperson against domestic abuse.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Ford can see the forest for the trees and sees the plan here in Indy for rebuilding and respects that TPTB have stuck to their patient, logical plan. I think too many reporters outside of Indy have no clue about Roy's development, Granger's talent, and the young guys on the roster who could really develop this as a Blazers East team.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    It really sounds like your taking this case personally. So much so that you referred to Lance's situation with the above quote

How will you feel if he is found innocent? Will you look at him as someone who "got off" rather than someone that was falsely accused?
    I apologize if it came off that way. That wasn't my intention.

I just meant they probably figured they can't punish him before the law decides if he needs to be punished.

And yea, as a woman and as a person who detests domestic violence for a multitude of reasons, I am taking it a bit personally. If he's innocent, than no harm. But I don't want a domestic abuser on the team, and if he's one, I'm not all for letting him off the hook because he has potential. (And I wouldn't be for letting him off the hook if he was Lebron)

It bothers me that people want to let this slide because he's "young" (He's twenty, he should know better..and if ignorance and immaturity is his defense do you REALLY want him on the team.) or because he's talanted. That's what I'm taking offense too. I am sick of people getting let off easy on these things. And on a personal level, Lance has a DAUGHTER. If he did it (which, the probability is extremely high) he needs to get his issues solved..or he needs to be kept away from that daughter and the mother of his child.

I'll give him this, at least he hasn't been dumb enough to violate the restraining order (Nate Miles did that at Uconn..)

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I just meant they probably figured they can't punish him before the law decides if he needs to be punished.
    Why would that matter? Tinsley was never even charged with anything I don't believe, and they punished him.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Why would that matter? Tinsley was never even charged with anything I don't believe, and they punished him.
    And didn't they have a hard time with the CBA because of it?

Plus, in this case..either what he did was illegal or he didn't do it. So you probably should wait and see if he's convicted before punishing.

I'm not quite sure I agree with it, because I still say there could be some issues in the locker room with this. It may cause chemistry issues between some of the guys, if Lance has anger issues that extends farther than against women (assuming of course its true) that could inevitably be a problem..ect..but in terms of covering their butts, I can see why the Pacers might let him back in Conseco.
    Last edited by Sookie; 09-14-2010 at 04:44 PM.

And didn't they have a hard time with the CBA because of it?
    I guess if you call no punishments and a scheduled arbitration hearing that never even took place .... a hard time.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Here are the rest of the grades as handed out by Ford:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=SummerGrades-East-100914
    1. Miami Heat

Key additions: LeBron James (trade), Dwyane Wade (re-signed), Chris Bosh (trade), Udonis Haslem (re-signed), Mike Miller (FA), Zydrunas Ilgauskas (FA), James Jones (re-signed), Juwan Howard (FA)
    Key subtractions: Michael Beasley, Daequan Cook, Jermaine O'Neal, Quentin Richardson
    Grade: A+
    2. Washington Wizards

Key additions: John Wall (draft), Kirk Hinrich (trade), Josh Howard (re-signed), Yi Jianlian (trade), Kevin Seraphin (draft), Trevor Booker (draft), Ted Leonsis (owner)
    Key subtractions: Mike Miller, Randy Foye, Shaun Livingston
    Grade: A
    3. Indiana Pacers

4. Chicago Bulls

Key additions: Carlos Boozer (FA), Kyle Korver (FA), Ronnie Brewer (FA), Tom Thibodeau (coach)
    Key subtractions: Kirk Hinrich, Brad Miller, Hakim Warrick, Vinny Del Negro
    Grade: B+
    5. New York Knicks

Key additions: Amare Stoudemire (trade), Anthony Randolph (trade), Raymond Felton (FA), Ronny Turiaf (trade)
    Key subtractions: David Lee, Al Harrington, Chris Duhon, Tracy McGrady, Sergio Rodriguez
    Grade: B
    6. Boston Celtics

Key additions: Paul Pierce (re-signed), Ray Allen (re-signed), Shaquille O'Neal (FA), Jermaine O'Neal (FA), Nate Robinson (re-signed), Avery Bradley (draft)
    Key subtractions: Rasheed Wallace, Tony Allen, Tom Thibodeau
    Grade: B-
    7. Milwaukee Bucks

Key additions: John Salmons (re-signed), Corey Maggette (trade), Drew Gooden (FA), Larry Sanders (draft)
    Key subtractions: Luke Ridnour, Dan Gadzuric, Charlie Bell, Kurt Thomas
    Grade: B-
    8. New Jersey Nets

Key additions: Troy Murphy (trade), Travis Outlaw (FA), Jordan Farmar (FA), Derrick Favors (draft), Damion James (draft), Avery Johnson (coach), Billy King (GM)
    Key subtractions: Yi Jianlian, Courtney Lee, Rod Thorn, Kiki Vandeweghe
    Grade: C+
    9. Philadelphia 76ers

Key additions: Evan Turner (draft), Andres Nocioni (trade), Spencer Hawes (trade), Doug Collins (coach), Rod Thorn (president)
    Key subtractions: Samuel Dalembert, Eddie Jordan
    Grade: C+
    10. Atlanta Hawks

Key additions: Joe Johnson (re-signed), Jordan Crawford (draft), Larry Drew (coach)
    Key subtractions: Josh Childress, Mike Woodson
    Grade: C
    11. Detroit Pistons

Key additions: Tracy McGrady (FA), Ben Wallace (re-signed), Greg Monroe (draft)
    Key subtractions: Kwame Brown
    Grade: C
    12. Orlando Magic

Key additions: J.J. Redick (re-signed), Chris Duhon (FA), Quentin Richardson (FA), Jason Williams (re-signed), Daniel Orton (draft)
    Key subtractions: Matt Barnes
    Grade: C-
    13. Toronto Raptors

Key additions: Leandro Barbosa (trade), Linas Kleiza (FA), Amir Johnson (re-signed), Ed Davis (draft)
    Key subtractions: Chris Bosh, Hedo Turkoglu, Marco Belinelli, Antoine Wright
    Grade: D+
    14. Charlotte Bobcats

Key additions: Tyrus Thomas (re-signed), Kwame Brown (FA), Shaun Livingston (FA), Erick Dampier (trade), Michael Jordan (owner)
    Key subtractions: Raymond Felton, Tyson Chandler, Robert Johnson
    Grade: D
    15. Cleveland Cavaliers

Key additions: Ramon Sessions (trade), Ryan Hollins (trade), Byron Scott (coach), Chris Grant (promoted to GM)
    Key subtractions: LeBron James, Shaquille O'Neal, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Delonte West, Mike Brown, Danny Ferry, Lance Blanks
    Grade: F

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan View Post

"Wo, wo wo. Let's just say you know nothing about Lance's charges and leave it at that. If Lance's status with the Pacers told you anything at all about what the New York prosecutors are planning to do, they wouldn't be any good at there jobs."

And I'm going to stop quoting right there.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

It really is a very favorable review, given that the Pacers' acquisitions are all question marks. Collison did very well and there's only a small question mark as to whether he can do it again in Indy and do it for a full season.

But George and Stephenson are very big questions marks. Kenny Williams-sized question marks. James White-sized question marks.

But a good review is a nice thing.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    But George and Stephenson are very big questions marks. Kenny Williams-sized question marks. James White-sized question marks
    ..... when aren't draft picks question marks? The real question is whether the position in which you were drafting was equal to the amount, and severity of question marks surrounding that player.

No need to apologize and this is avery sensitive subject for me as well. Im proud to say Im a "mamas boy" and can put into words what I would do if anyone touched my mom.

the reason peole say "he's young" is because we would like to believe he can make ammends and change his life, more so then a 30 year old

I appreciate, and enjoy your posts

I apologize if it came off that way. That wasn't my intention.

And yea, as a woman and as a person who detests domestic violence for a multitude of reasons, I am taking it a bit personally. If he's innocent, than no harm. But I don't want a domestic abuser on the team, and if he's one, I'm not all for letting him off the hook because he has potential. (And I wouldn't be for letting him off the hook if he was Lebron)

It bothers me that people want to let this slide because he's "young" (He's twenty, he should know better..and if ignorance and immaturity is his defense do you REALLY want him on the team.) or because he's talanted. That's what I'm taking offense too. I am sick of people getting let off easy on these things. And on a personal level, Lance has a DAUGHTER. If he did it (which, the probability is extremely high) he needs to get his issues solved..or he needs to be kept away from that daughter and the mother of his child.

I'll give him this, at least he hasn't been dumb enough to violate the restraining order (Nate Miles did that at Uconn..)
    If he is convicted and sentenced to something, as long as he serves his sentence it isn't our place or the Pacers' to keep punishing him. I went through this argument before with someone over the Vick situation. If he serves his punishment that the court deemed appropriate for his crime, then he ought to be given every opportunity to play if that's what he chooses to do. And we have him under contract, so he ought to be given a shot to play here. Just my opinion of course. I'm not condoning his (purported) behavior by any means, I'm just saying that if/once he serves his time he is a free man.

Quote Originally Posted by dadscout View Post
    Cleveland Cavaliers:

Key additions: Ramon Sessions (trade), Ryan Hollins (trade), Byron Scott (coach), Chris Grant (promoted to GM)
    Key subtractions: LeBron James, Shaquille O'Neal, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Delonte West, Mike Brown, Danny Ferry, Lance Blanks
    Grade: F
    Holy cow, I knew the Cavs lost a lot this offseason, but I didn't realize it was that bad. They practically lost their entire team and front office! They are in seriously bad shape...

How the hell are we ranked ahead of Philly, Chicago and the Knicks in offseason moves? I'm as big a Collision fan as anyone. But is he a better player today than Boozer, Stoudamire, Evan Turner or even Anthony Randolph?

This looks like a Mike Wells list more than a Chad Ford list.