Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

  1. #1

    Default Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...s.php#comments

    Lou Amundson reaches deal with Golden State Warriors
    Mon Sep 13,2010 11:02 AM ET By Kurt Helin
    Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for amundson_blog_090117_300.jpgThey may not have a classic big man, but the Golden State Warriors have an athletic and interesting front line.

    One that just got more interesting with news that Lou Amundson has reached a deal with the Warriors, a two year deal worth just less than $5 million, with the second year a player option according to tweets from Mark Stein of ESPN.

    New Orleans had been considered the frontrunners for Amundson, but they had luxury tax issues and they could not offer more than $1.9 million. Golden State offered more -- and even at what they paid this is a great deal.

    For that money, the Warriors get a hustle guy who can crash the boards, shoot a little and will bring it hard every night. He was a key part of the bench in Phoenix for just that reason.

    Golden State now has an interesting front line. They are expected to start David Lee and Ronny Turiaf, but off the bench they bring Andris Biedrins, Dan Gadzuric and now Amundson. That is not your traditional front line, but in the Don Nelson system -- and right now we will assume it will be the Don Nelson system but that could change when ownership changes in the coming weeks -- those four could make an interesting fit.

  2. #2
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,408

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    We should make a play for Biedrins.

  3. #3
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,603

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should make a play for Biedrins.
    No we shouldn't

    Overpaid, soft , and GS has been trying to get rid of him

    In fact, we should be barred from ever again trading with GS
    Sittin on top of the world!

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,616

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    I wonder if the Knicks will be pissed that Turiaf will be starting for another team?

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,981

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No we shouldn't

    Overpaid, soft , and GS has been trying to get rid of him

    In fact, we should be barred from ever again trading with GS
    Hmm... I wouldn't mind adding this Stephen Curry chap sometime .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

    BBQ

  9. #6
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if the Knicks will be pissed that Turiaf will be starting for another team?
    Right, wasn't Turiaf part of the Lee deal?!?!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

  10. #7
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,228

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Good. Lou is not the long-term answer for us.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,745

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should make a play for Biedrins.
    Has anybody ever seen his ft %'s? I thought it was a typo at first.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  13. #9
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,745

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right, wasn't Turiaf part of the Lee deal?!?!
    yea turiaf is on the knicks
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  14. #10
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,529

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No we shouldn't

    Overpaid, soft , and GS has been trying to get rid of him

    In fact, we should be barred from ever again trading with GS
    I disagree when it comes to Biedrins. IMHO, if we didn't have Hibbert....I would love to get my hands on a player like Biedrins. He's a highly efficient scorer, a solid rebounder ( better then Hibbert ) and a very solid shotblocker that is priced at $9 mil a year for 5 years ( which IMHO is incredibly cheap for a player that has averaged...prior to this last year due to injury....close to a double double with a 58% on 8+ attempts a game ).

    If anything, he is what I'd hope that Hibbert turns out to be.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  15. #11
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,408

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Exactly Biedrins is pretty solid in every facet of the game, perfect back up center for the Pacers.

  16. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly Biedrins is pretty solid in every facet of the game, perfect back up center for the Pacers.
    Uh....no.

    Biedrins shot an NBA worst 16% from the FT line last year. That might be the worst in league history. Not exactly solid.

    He's been playing basketball his entire life but still can't score the ball unless he's within 5 feet of the basket. Somebody should take a look at his shot chart and see if he's ever scored from beyond 10 feet even once in his career.

    He'll give you some decent help defense and is alright defending pick and rolls, but his man defense stinks. He's not strong enough holding position inside. He's also talking about retiring by the time he's 30 because he's realizing how much of the physicality and harsh NBA schedule takes a toll on his body. Basically, if you're looking for a defensive anchor inside, he's not the guy you're looking for.

    Another tidbit. His nickname given to him by other GS players is "Goose". He's had it for years now. At first we all wondered where the heck this came from. Turns out Goose is short for Grey Goose. The guy parties and drinks a lot, even by NBA standards. Consider that it was OTHER NBA PLAYERS who gave him that name.

    I like Biedrins, but he's overpaid for what he does. He's a good guy and a good hustle player, but he makes about $5M more than he should for what he brings. And given that the guy makes $9-10M a year, he's not exactly an ideal backup.

  17. #13
    Member Mr. Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    704

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly Biedrins is pretty solid in every facet of the game, perfect back up center for the Pacers.
    Maybe if his contract wasn't worth $36 million per year over the next four years...

  18. #14
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's been playing basketball his entire life but still can't score the ball unless he's within 5 feet of the basket. Somebody should take a look at his shot chart and see if he's ever scored from beyond 10 feet even once in his career.
    This isn't his full career, but it's plenty crazy enough.

    Over the last four years, per Hoopdata, Biedrins has taken 1,792 shots - all but 34 of them from inside 10 feet. He has hit .604 of his shots inside of 10 feet (including .661 of his shots at the rim).

    He has only hit 8 of his shots from outside of 10 feet, including 1 for 11 from 10-15 feet, or .235.

    For reference, Ben Wallace has taken 1223 shots over the last five years - 166 of them from outside of 10 feet (though he's only hit 38, or .229).

    So Wallace took almost 14% of his shots outside of 10 feet, while Biedrins took 1.9% of his shots away from the basket.

    Shaq took 181 of 2341, or 7.7% of his shots over the last 5 years away from the basket, and he hit 63 of them, or a little over a third.

    Jeff Foster took almost a quarter of his shots outside of 10 feet over the last 4 years (254/1032), hitting 82 of them (.323).

    Yikes.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,823

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly Biedrins is pretty solid in every facet of the game, perfect back up center for the Pacers.
    Pay $9 million per year for a backup C???????? I'll pass...
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  21. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,653

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    I would much rather include one of our first round draft choices in a trade for a really decent player/prospect than pay a player $9M to come off the bench for 15-20 minutes a game.

    So, I guess I'm now up to Rush, McRoberts, rights to Lorbeck and Rolle and a #1 for Jason Thompson. Thompson was near a double/double last year (12.6/8/5), could conceivably do it this year, is still on his rookie contract and has a much more complete game than Biedrins. If we acquired one of the top free agent PFs next summer, Thompson would still be our first big off the bench, backing up either frontcourt position.

    When it's quality (Thompson) you are after, make the sacrifice. Otherwise, pass (Biedrins). Plain and simple, I wouldn't touch Biedrins, and his salary would eventually, if not immediately, get in the way of our signing better players at PF and/or SG.

  22. #17

    Default Re: Lou Amundson joins the Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, I guess I'm now up to Rush, McRoberts, rights to Lorbeck and Rolle and a #1 for Jason Thompson. Thompson was near a double/double last year (12.6/8/5), could conceivably do it this year, is still on his rookie contract and has a much more complete game than Biedrins. If we acquired one of the top free agent PFs next summer, Thompson would still be our first big off the bench, backing up either frontcourt position.
    Thompson is nice and all, but I think that's a little too much to give up for him. I'd rather keep our guys if that's their asking price.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 11:20 AM
  2. Replies: 173
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 10:47 AM
  3. Webber to return to Warriors
    By Erik in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 06:04 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 05:46 PM
  5. Barnes (finger) joins list of injury-riddled Warriors [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 07:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •