Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selfish egotistical SOB

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Selfish egotistical SOB

OK, this is going outside of my area here. I am not a lawyer, I just travel occasionally in litigation circles.

CONTACT A LAWYER, preferably the one who is handling the last will and transfer of estate. Handling crap like this is probably part of his or her mandate.

But most of all - STOP THE ALL-CONSUMING WORRY AND FRIGHT AND TERROR OF LAWYERS. THESE FAMILIES ARE GOING THROUGH ENOUGH, SO CUT IT OUT. Just hand the case over to an attorney to get rid of and worry about it in a year or two or whenever it comes back around.

- - - - -

Now, this is just my opinion: It's likely that what the suing lawyers were trying to do is put pressure on the fathers' insurance companies by hassling the insured. If the insured goes ape on the insurance company for not settling, then it may get the insurance company to raise their number. They are trying to make their client as much money as they possibly can for the injuries sustained, the best way to do that is by suing the multi-billion dollar insurance industry, not the random family man.

Now, if the surviving wives don't want to pay the estate's lawyers to handle it, I simply recommend that the surviving wives tell the suing parties that the defendants are dead. I recommend this be done as informally as possible. A simple letter with a copy of the death certificate should be enough. Do not mention lawyers, do not mention estate, inheritance or marriage. Just say "I thought you should know that the defendant in *case number* died on *date*. Please find a copy of the death certificate and a published obituary in this envelope." It is likely that the attorneys for the plaintiff will drop the case against the men and just stick to the men's insurer.

But seriously, just give the bull-crap over to the lawyer and let them handle it. And one that's done, stop talking about it. It's doing nothing but causing more pain and anguish to the family.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, this is going outside of my area here. I am not a lawyer, I just travel occasionally in litigation circles.

CONTACT A LAWYER, preferably the one who is handling the last will and transfer of estate. Handling crap like this is probably part of his or her mandate.

But most of all - STOP THE ALL-CONSUMING WORRY AND FRIGHT AND TERROR OF LAWYERS. THESE FAMILIES ARE GOING THROUGH ENOUGH, SO CUT IT OUT. Just hand the case over to an attorney to get rid of and worry about it in a year or two or whenever it comes back around.

- - - - -

Now, this is just my opinion: It's likely that what the suing lawyers were trying to do is put pressure on the fathers' insurance companies by hassling the insured. If the insured goes ape on the insurance company for not settling, then it may get the insurance company to raise their number. They are trying to make their client as much money as they possibly can for the injuries sustained, the best way to do that is by suing the multi-billion dollar insurance industry, not the random family man.
    Now, if the surviving wives don't want to pay the estate's lawyers to handle it, I simply recommend that the surviving wives tell the suing parties that the defendants are dead. I recommend this be done as informally as possible. A simple letter with a copy of the death certificate should be enough. Do not mention lawyers, do not mention estate, inheritance or marriage. Just say "I thought you should know that the defendant in *case number* died on *date*. Please find a copy of the death certificate and a published obituary in this envelope." It is likely that the attorneys for the plaintiff will drop the case against the men and just stick to the men's insurer.

But seriously, just give the bull-crap over to the lawyer and let them handle it. And one that's done, stop talking about it. It's doing nothing but causing more pain and anguish to the family.
    That is basically what I told sis. No death certificate will be issued for up to 8 weeks....coming from the Coroners. We are trying to get in to the lawyer now. There was not will.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

I have rec'd the letter I mentioned earlier from the manic depressent. However it is in pdf format and I cannot copy it. I've tried saving it to my desktop in txt format but come up with an empty file when I do.

Any suggestions?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I have rec'd the letter I mentioned earlier from the manic depressent. However it is in pdf format and I cannot copy it. I've tried saving it to my desktop in txt format but come up with an empty file when I do.

Any suggestions?

It is not clear friom the question what you want to do. Why do you want to copy it? PDF files are easy to transfer. If you want a paper copy, you can print from the PDF.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    It is not clear friom the question what you want to do. Why do you want to copy it? PDF files are easy to transfer. If you want a paper copy, you can print from the PDF.
    I had promised to post it here once I had received it...but I cannot do the copy/paste function with a pdf file.

Ah. try this:

Open a post, then click on Go Advanced, and then scroll down and look for Manage Attachments.

If you select that, you can "Upload a file from your computer" as long as it is smaller than 19.5 K.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Honestly I'm not sure. Alcoholism itself definitely worsens depression big-time, but I don't know much about alcohol withdrawal + depression. My whimpy tummy (GERD) has always kept me from any serious drinking.
    thats how my DAD died please that bottle will kill you. Alcoholism is a horrible thing it just sucks it is not worth it.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I also lost one of my best friends to suicide. Had the "honor" of sharing his last meal with him. It took many years before I got over the fact that I didn't recognize the "signs" of what he was planning to do that night.

Geezer, your family is in my prayers.
    ill be praying for both of you guys when i go to bed to nite it is a tuff thing losing people you love

Mood

This is the letter the sister-in-law rec'd from her brother. It helped me understand a bit better, hopes it helps you too.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 09-29-2010 at 11:14 PM.