Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jermaine O'Neal broke down crying in his car after his last game as a Pacer

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal broke down crying in his car after his last game as a Pacer

I always thought that Jermaine was a class act. He was a good voice for the team, and like it or not, the guy put out a lot of himself for the franchise, city, fans, etc. He loved it all.

As for the injuries, etc., the guy just worked too hard and his body gave out too fast. It's that simple. Now is he the same player that earned that $20+ million contract? No, not close. But as most of you all said, he definitely deserved it when he got it.

It's hard to put my head around why anyone would criticize someone for being upset over losing something they genuinely loved. If Jermaine wanted to remain here, then so be it. It'd be just like any of you devout fans moving because of your job, etc., and having to be so far away from the team you love. Granted, it's on an entirely different level but I'm sure you all could relate if put in that position.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal broke down crying in his car after his last game as a Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Come on everybody *****ing and moaning about JO's contract has never made sense. He earned the deal and was paid his market value at the time. He didn't screw us or bamboozle us. Everyone likes to revise this, remember the other team that was pursuing JO very actively? The San Antonio Spurs. I guess they're a bunch of idiots for thinking JO was worth a max deal too? I think we'd all like to be run by the Spurs management group.
    Do we know what the Spurs were willing to offer or just how interested they really were?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Robinson was retiring. They thought JO might be his replacement.

And, frankly, the Spurs had a better plan to play JO alongside Duncan than the Pacers had by playing JO without Brad Miller.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry if I have zero sympathy for Mr. O'neal. I understand that money doesn't buy happiness, but his desire to be paid like he was helped create the mess. Him pounding his chest and being the leader helped create the mess. Him pounding his chest and demanding touches, AFTER 8 GAMES, helped create the mess.

JO not only had a finger in the bad situations, he was smack dab in the middle. He's no where near a victim.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    I personally know people who are considerably more wealthy than O'Neal who go through plenty of misery similar to what Jermaine is describing, and much of it is often related to family and relationships. Money does not provide you from immunity from such things.
    Wait, you personally know multiple people worth way more than $150 million? Wow! Are you a Simon or something? Haha...

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Robinson was retiring. They thought JO might be his replacement.

And, frankly, the Spurs had a better plan to play JO alongside Duncan than the Pacers had by playing JO without Brad Miller.
    Yeah, it was pretty well documented that Jermaine was offered the max by SA.

I think you're entirely right, though, Jay. Jermaine would have been much better off playing with Tim Duncan than Jeff Foster. He'd have rings, he'd have his money, and he'd have his health.

He stayed with the Pacers in part because he looked up to Reggie and wanted to be loyal to a franchise like Reggie was. And in larger part because his mentor, I.Thomas, was the Pacers coach and he didn't want to leave Zeke high and dry.

Which is why it was bush league for Donnie to sign JO and then hire Bird. There's no way Jermaine would have stuck around if Zeke had been fired first.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Yeah, it was pretty well documented that Jermaine was offered the max by SA.
    Didn't JO cancel his meeting with the Spurs to accept the Pacers offer? I still don't remember any leaks of other offers to JO... only that the Spurs were interested.

Edit: I'm talking numbers, not whether there were offers... or teams reportedly going to make an offer...
    Last edited by Bball; 09-17-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Wait, you personally know multiple people worth way more than $150 million? Wow! Are you a Simon or something? Haha...
    I know one multibillionaire, actually. You'd know his name. He has very wealthy friends. Lots of them. I used to live in California and happen to know some very wealthy people.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    I know one multibillionaire, actually. You'd know his name. He has very wealthy friends. Lots of them. I used to live in California and happen to know some very wealthy people.
    Nice. Make sure he's a Pacers fan. We might need his help buying the team and keeping it in Indiana one of these days.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Banned

mr birdy shouldnt have send JO to toronto. What a wrong decision..

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine_TR View Post
    It was Jermaines decision to leave...read the article
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

I am sorry, but are you slow or something? Not only is this thread from years ago, That trade netted us RHibbert. Go away!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Do you realize we got Roy Hibbert out of that?

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

again,

*sigh*

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Banned

Seriously, who the **** is hibbert? huh? or otherwise you guys comparing hibbert with JO? Pacers traded JO, he didnt want to leave pacers everyone knows that. What are you 2009 newbie or something?

Wow, some of you are huge jerks. I can understand some of this venom for Artest, or Tinsley. But JO? Really?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

is it Jermaine O'Neal appreciation day? Why are these threads being bumped...

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Mood

Is this reverse day or something and no one told me?! WTH is going on?

Seriously, who the **** is hibbert? huh? or otherwise you guys comparing hibbert with JO? Pacers traded JO, he didnt want to leave pacers everyone knows that. What are you 2009 newbie or something?
    Oh nobody other than one of the top 5 centers in the NBA. A first time all-star. A defensive anchor of our ball club. A good low post scorer. An above average passer. A very good rebounder and most importantly a great character player who has given his own tickets to form a fan section to bring life into the fieldhouse.

Other than that, nobody.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

28. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

This guy
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Oh nobody other than one of the top 5 centers in the NBA. A first time all-star. A defensive anchor of our ball club. A good low post scorer. An above average passer. A very good rebounder and most importantly a great character player who has given his own tickets to form a fan section to bring life into the fieldhouse.

Other than that, nobody.
    wow that stats and successes really impressed me! opposite of this, 6 time all-star guy and alltime block leader of pacers! well done fella!

Mood

I have tons of respect for JO, but seems like we have a troll on our hands.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

Mood

wow that stats and successes really impressed me! opposite of this, 6 time all-star guy and alltime block leader of pacers! well done fella!
    What has he done since the trade, fella?

Trolling?

I love JO as much or more than any one... But your post here is absurd...

BTW- Jermaine, himself, told me he would want to leave if Larry took over the franchise... This was obviously when Donnie was still running things...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Somebody got bored and decided to start trolling it looks like.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

36. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post: