Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jermaine O'Neal broke down crying in his car after his last game as a Pacer

Default Jermaine O'Neal broke down crying in his car after his last game as a Pacer

I think this talk better of him

“Any athlete can preach to this, that when things aren’t going well, you tend to bring it home, and the people that take the brunt of it is the family,’’ O’Neal said. “Whether it’s you not wanting to be around anybody, whether it’s you not wanting to do anything, whether it’s you being sensitive, whether it’s you being frustrated.’’

Eventually, the strain was too much.

“When I noticed that it was starting to weigh on my family, I asked to leave Indiana,’’ O’Neal said. “I never expected to leave Indiana. That was the breaking point for me.’’

He broke down crying in his car after his last game as a Pacer. His wife was in the passenger’s seat. He wanted to retire right then.

“She knew it because I told her that I actually understood the effects of those dark days on my family,’’ O’Neal said. “It started really bothering her to see me physically the way I was and emotionally and mentally the way I was.

“That was basically the reason why I felt like it was time to go. It was a very difficult decision.’’
    This is the link: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...e_ring/?page=4

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal broke down crying in his car after his last game as a Pacer

Poor guy.

$20 million a year and can't stand the pressue...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal broke down crying in his car after his last game as a Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Poor guy.

Come on man. Is that $20 million supposed to make him not care about his family or for basketball? We should be so lucky to have a league full of players who don't let all the money jade them.

5. The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Poor guy.

I personally know people who are considerably more wealthy than O'Neal who go through plenty of misery similar to what Jermaine is describing, and much of it is often related to family and relationships. Money does not provide you from immunity from such things.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JO was always an interesting character.

Do I think he cared? Absolutely. He wanted the Pacers to succeed.

However, I think he always thought the best way to succeed was through him. In a way, he was selfish because of this, but at the same time I think his intentions were for the team to win, he was just misguided. If that makes sense.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

His wife must not have thrown him the ball.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

JO used to be my favorite player, until I got to know him better. Sorry he had issues, but for 20M/year, you just have to grin and bear it. It's not that long nor that important in the scheme of life. Dude probably still needs to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    JO used to be my favorite player, until I got to know him better. Sorry he had issues, but for 20M/year, you just have to grin and bear it. It's not that long nor that important in the scheme of life. Dude probably still needs to grow up.
    Please! Enough of this talk. Ever think that maybe he felt he wasn't earning his money? You would prefer he just takes his paycheck and grins through losing because he's making so much money? Come on now. That's not the type of player any of us want.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    It's not that long nor that important in the scheme of life. Dude probably still needs to grow up.
    He needs to grow up because he put his family ahead of his commitment to his employer? If only we could all be so immature. I suppose it's more mature to just say kiss my *** to the wife, and kids and just get a divorce?

I'm not following this logic at all.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I once heard it said that the only difference between a rich man and a poor man is that the poor man thinks all his problems would be solved if he just had more money. A rich man knows better.
    “It is what we learn after we know it all that really counts” - John Wooden

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dlewyus For This Useful Post:

If not for Artest, Reggie and JO probably have a ring. Remember the Lakers "infighting" and Detroit goes on to win. Nobody on here says anything about JO and heart if that happens. All of a sudden JO is worth his money. Apology or not, Artest will always remain my least favorite very talented player.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aceace For This Useful Post:

Jermaine does break down fairly often, in more ways than one, it seems
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    If not for Artest, Reggie and JO probably have a ring. Remember the Lakers "infighting" and Detroit goes on to win. Nobody on here says anything about JO and heart if that happens. All of a sudden JO is worth his money. Apology or not, Artest will always remain my least favorite very talented player.

Without Artest, JO wasn't going to sniff a ring with the Pacers whether Reggie was here or not. JO wanted to be Batman... instead he was the guy wearing hockey pads (Batman The Dark Knight reference there).
    Last edited by Bball; 09-12-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I'm just ready to move on.

Danny Granger, Tyler Hansbrough, Roy Hibbert, Darren Collison & Paul George are now the focus of the Indiana Pacers and that is where I want to stay.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

I think that sums up the fact that JO was forced into a leadership role with the Pacers that he never was actually suited for emotionally, and when the team failed to perform he took it personally while at the same time wanting to be anywhere else besides Indiana because deep down he knew he could never be what was being asked of him here, especially without any other players to carry any part of the load from a skill or leadership standpoint.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

I broke down and cried after watching a few of JO's games before his last.

If the pressure was too much he could have asked the franchise have the contract voided for family medical reasons like Derek Fisher did.

The team probably would have been happy to wipe that contract off the cap and they could have helped out poor JO and his family at the same time.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    I think that sums up the fact that JO was forced into a leadership role with the Pacers that he never was actually suited for emotionally, and when the team failed to perform he took it personally while at the same time wanting to be anywhere else besides Indiana because deep down he knew he could never be what was being asked of him here, especially without any other players to carry any part of the load from a skill or leadership standpoint.
    This.

Some of the problem is on Donnie Walsh.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry, but some of the comments in this thread are pretty *****ing callous. I will NEVER understand why some people are expected to be "less human" and "more character", because they make millions of dollars. More money =/= Better Christian.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

It's fairly nonsensical to ask us to care what JO's state of mind was. We're basketball fans cheering for a basketball team. Why should any of us care JO was cracking under the pressure any farther than it hurt our team?

Besides, even if we did care, people deal with harsh pressure everyday under circumstances that make JO's look like a satirical mockery of something that actually matters. Guy plays a game for a living. This isn't life or death. This isn't cold or warm, starving or fed, it's a game. Cry me a river about the mental pressure of a game.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

I loved watching JO in his prime! He played hard on both ends and with emotion and passion! He was generous with his time and money while here. He had an injury that limited his explosiveness and he was never the same but that does not change the great things he did on and off the court. I wish more people would remember the many monster dunks we saw form JO. He was exciting to watch and I wish we had more JO style dunks on this team and less long jumpers. Maybe more people would want to watch if we did.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to will567 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Bullseye.

At the time, I never bought into J.O. as the "leader" of the Pacers. He was definitely the franchise player, but I still thought of it as Reggie's Team even though his role and production took a huge step back in those last few years.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

boo hoo.

i still don't like him.

i like jax better than jo, if that says anything.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

$20 million.

That's a lot of money.

Criticism comes with the job of playing ball.

If your family doesn't like having to deal with the criticism, move them to Florida.

If you can't stand the pressure or criticism, get some counseling to figure out how to deal with it or talk to other players. There's support systems available for $20 million.

Never liked the turn around fade-away shot of his... too low percentage... and I didn't like the fact that he was always talking and explaining away stuff in interviews. Too much talk and not enough winning.

His teams had talent.... they just didn't work well together. Is team chemistry his fault? Not solely, but there is some blame to go around for everyone.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Please! Enough of this talk. Ever think that maybe he felt he wasn't earning his money? You would prefer he just takes his paycheck and grins through losing because he's making so much money? Come on now. That's not the type of player any of us want.
    I agree that he probably wasn't happy with his play but I think what overall had him down was that the team wasn't winning and the fans were throwing him under the bus.

He played through major injuries, injuries requiring surgery, because he was making the big bucks and he knew the team needed him. All that money did was put a huge bullseye on his back for the fans and media to shoot at when the Pacers were struggling. His feelings were hurt more than anything else and both he and Larry Bird made the decision to split.

Luckily we got Roy Hibbert out of the deal and JO got to move on to a situation with less pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Poor guy.

We may need a "no thanks" button.

You're entitled to your opinion, so I'm not saying you should not post it.

Its his career, and maybe the money wasn't the most important thing to him. Even though he had plenty of it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you