Thread: Let them start!

Default Let them start!

hansbrough and george needs to start at the beginning of the season. this is the only way to develop them. 10th overall pick coming off the bench? George has so much potential.

Default Re: Let them start!

How is it the only way to develop them?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Love your enthusiasm and welcome

You have to understand though if you start a kid based off of being a high draft pick and nothing more, it send a bad message to the veterans on the team

Playing time should be earned , not given or the coaches will never be respected by the team

Now what I hope for, and proably you do as well, is they are given a CHANCE to prove they belong and earn minutes

Its a win-win for all
    Sittin on top of the world!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

It is what I want to see, personally.

Well, with the caveat that George isn't in over his head and averaging 5 turnovers a game.

On TH, I wonder even if everything goes perfectly, if they won't put him on a minute restriction to ease him back into it.

I mean I want to see it because they represent a part of the future, but that doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rookies do not need to be "given" minutes. If they are good enough, they will take minutes by themselves, by outplaying the other players at his position.

There are exceptions, but I really hate the idea of giving too much to rookies too early. They need to get used to the idea of competing for what they want.

I'm not a fan of having rookies play huge minutes early in the season. The difference in speed of all games in college compared to the pros is huge. I think they need to have some PT but not a huge amount. IF they show they can handle the adjustment well by all means let them play more
    Doing the twitter thing JonnyB83
    Also JonnyB83 on facebook....we should be friends!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hansbrough and george needs to start at the beginning of the season. this is the only way to develop them. 10th overall pick coming off the bench? George has so much potential.
    i love 2much4u but it isnt the ONLY way to delvlope gordon hayward is the 9th pick ther is no way he will start but if he puts the wirk in I HOPE HE EARNS a starting job which isnt easy with JOB!!
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 09-10-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We need to be sure Tyler can walk a straight line better than a drunk taking a sobriety test on the side of the road before we worry about him starting.

I agree, earn your minutes rookies! I know Tyler isn't a rookie, but he practically is one with the time he played last year.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    We need to be sure Tyler can walk a straight line better than a drunk taking a sobriety test on the side of the road before we worry about him starting.
    He's already back to doing everything a basketball player does with the exception of being officially allowed to go "full contact" when he plays the game. Unofficially, I've heard that he already does play with contact when it's a situation the team doesn't directly have control over (pickup games). I think we're well past walking in a straight line.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He's already back to doing everything a basketball player does with the exception of being officially allowed to go "full contact" when he plays the game. Unofficially, I've heard that he already does play with contact when it's a situation the team doesn't directly have control over (pickup games). I think we're well past walking in a straight line.
    psssssssssssssssstttt... Don't tell anyone but Tyler was going full contact today with other players from the team at the fieldhouse according to a little bird.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I'm aware. I was mostly just being a smart ***. The other part was out of fear it won't stay as it is today. I love Tylers game and ability to get under opponents skin just by playing so hard. I will still carry the fear of some relapse for a while. They still haven't said they know exactly what caused it. If it was the concussion then it very well could come back. Last thing I want to see, but I'm in fear of it.

My question is, for how long? Is this the sort of condition that lingers?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    psssssssssssssssstttt... Don't tell anyone but Tyler was going full contact today with other players from the team at the fieldhouse according to a little bird.
    Just a thought. I wonder how much of what the Pacers put out in the media in regards to injuries is for legal purposes. I mean right now the Pacers have told everyone Tyler is not cleared to go full contact, I'm sure they have that documented, so if Tyler has problems down the road the Pacers can claim they never cleared him to practice in Sptember 2010.

To answer my own question. A huge YES!!!

I used to work for the insurance company who insured the NBA. (Don't tell anyone - been a few years though) .

That is one reason why I always get a kick out of it when fans complain about the pacers not being honest in the media when it comes to injuries. Why are they always hiding things, never telling us exactly what happened. They need to do that to protect themselves and the NBA

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Great news! I feel bad for Roy and McBob, but still good news.

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    Hansbrough need to get healthy before anything
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I don't think Paul should be starting yet.

He still needs to get used to playing SG and the pro style of basketball.

I say if Tyler is healthy and ready to go, then why not start him?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Rookies do not need to be "given" minutes. If they are good enough, they will take minutes by themselves, by outplaying the other players at his position.

There are exceptions, but I really hate the idea of giving too much to rookies too early. They need to get used to the idea of competing for what they want.
    Yes, reasonable coaches do that...

I'm hoping this year, that whoever earns minutes, gets minutes. If that's Hans and PG. Good.

Let them battle it out in cam p and the preseason games. Whoever plays the best should start. It could be a good or bad thing if Paul George wins the starting spot. It could mean we found a stud SG and our answer at the position, or it could mean Dunleavy is still not 100% and not ready to start, and Rush is still playing lackadaisical(after he comes back from his suspension) like he does every year.
    As for the PF spot if Hansbrough is healthy it is his spot to lose, but I would not count out McRoberts.

Mood

IMHO I think that IF Tyler is completely healthy he should start at the 4 spot but there should be good minutes tossed to McBob, Rolle and a few to Danny (situationally). For George it's a little different. I think he should get 5-10 minutes a game starting out and if he is doing things well enough to take it to the next step easing him into an increased role slowly throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
    My question is, for how long? Is this the sort of condition that lingers?
    It depends on exactly what's going on, and it's been a while since I looked into it with any degree of depth (and by depth, I just mean looking back over how his condition was described and then googling/reading about what it might be for a while), but my understanding is that he theoretically could have relapses.

Now, I want to say I recall reading that while those relapses may occur, we don't know for sure if they will last days, weeks, or months.

So to me, if relapses are inevitable (and I'm not saying for sure they are or aren't), the best you can hope for is that it side lines him for as long as a moderate injury would (days to weeks versus months) and that he comes back much more quickly during a relapse that he has this initial time.