Thread: Matt Barnes, former Sacramento King, arrested for domestic violence

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Matt Barnes, former Sacramento King, arrested for domestic violence

http://www.news10.net/news/story.asp...=94658&catid=2

FAIR OAKS, CA - Former Sacramento Kings forward Matt Barnes told News10's Bryan May "I was the victim but still got arrested" after police say he was involved in a physical fight with his girlfriend Wednesday at the couple's Fair Oaks home, according to a Sacramento County Sheriff's spokesman.

Deputies responded to a 911 call from the home on the 8100 block of Sunset Avenue in Fair Oaks around 4:15 p.m. Wednesday, Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran said.

Investigators determined the two had been involved in a "physical confrontation" and that Barnes prevented the woman from talking with 911 operators, Curran said.

Curran said Barnes, 30, was arrested after deputies spoke with Barnes and the woman who Barnes "lived with and with whom he had a dating relationship."

Both Barnes and the woman had visible injuries, according to the deputies.

Barnes was booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail on the felony charges of domestic violence and maliciously obstructing the use of a telephone line, Curran said.

Barnes posted $50,000 bond and was released just after 9:30 p.m. He was scheduled to be arraigned Monday.

Barnes responded to a text message from News10's Bryan May late Wednesday, texting, "U know any domestic violence situation 9 outa 10 times the man gets arrested. That's the case here I was the victim but still got arrested. No matter what I say people are gonna think what they want..."Barnes continued his defense on his Twitter page Wednesday night, tweeting, "DON'T LET YOUR EARS WITNESS, WHAT YOUR EYES DIDN'T SEE!!!"

Barnes, who grew up in Sacramento and attended Del Campo High School, has played for nine NBA teams, including a stint with the Kings from 2004 to 2005. Barnes recently signed a two-year, $3.6 million with the Los Angeles Lakers last month.
    News10/KXTV
    Copyright 2010 / All Rights Reserved
    Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Matt Barnes, former Sacramento King, arrested for domestic violence

Matt Barnes arrested for domestic violence after being considered by the Indiana Pacers this offseason.
    Somebody's gotta do it...

I wanna know how bad he got beat up.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

It will be very interesting to watch how the Lakers deal with this vs how the pacers deal with Lance. In Lance's defense at least he is "young". Barnes is a grown az man

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will be very interesting to watch how the Lakers deal with this vs how the pacers deal with Lance. In Lance's defense at least he is "young". Barnes is a grown az man
    At first glance the situations as reported seem quite different. Lance's situation seems much worse. (Disclaimer - obviously I wasn't a witness to either situation, so I am only going by the info reported)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    At first glance the situations as reported seem quite different. Lance's situation seems much worse. (Disclaimer - obviously I wasn't a witness to either situation, so I am only going by the info reported)
    In what ways Buck? Because of the alleged "bashing of the head at the bottom of the stairs"?

In what ways Buck? Because of the alleged "bashing of the head at the bottom of the stairs"?
    throwing someone down the stairs and yes then bashing someone's head.

Plus Matt Barnes is claiming he was the victim (that might be completely false) but there has been no such declarations from lance or Lance's attorney (unless I missed it)

Also there are supposedly some witness to what lance did and probably more of a he said she said situation with matt barnes

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    throwing someone down the stairs and yes then bashing someone's head.

Plus Matt Barnes is claiming he was the victim (that might be completely false) but there has been no such declarations from lance or Lance's attorney (unless I missed it)

Also there are supposedly some witness to what lance did and probably more of a he said she said situation with matt barnes
    Yeah I understand that part, but they both feel like an attemp to force a settlement of some sorts

Yes the head bashing really makes that case very different from the Barnes case. It seems like the Barnes case is a conflict between two differently abled people.

Lance was attacking a 100% defenseless person.

Obviously this isn't a good situation, but it's a relief that this isn't Pacer related. Or is it...?

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
    Yes the head bashing really makes that case very different from the Barnes case. It seems like the Barnes case is a conflict between two differently abled people.

Lance was attacking a 100% defenseless person.
    Im not sure I would call her defenseless plus if she had a friend or friends wouldnt they have jumped on Lance if he truly did that?

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Notice they didn't say "L.A. Laker Matt Barnes arrested for domestic violence" ...they went out on a limb and said "...former Sacramento King" even though he played for the Magic last season. The media is messed up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    Notice they didn't say "L.A. Laker Matt Barnes arrested for domestic violence" ...they went out on a limb and said "...former Sacramento King" even though he played for the Magic last season. The media is messed up.
    This is report from a Local Sacramento Station using the local connection to address its viewers.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Both Lance and Barnes have felony charges.

The main difference is that Barnes immediately claimed innocence. Lance waited for his agent to do so a few days after the fact.

In trial by media, Barnes appears to be doing much better. We shouldn't try Lance by media, but by due process.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    I think thats only becasue the report came out of Sacremento

..ugh....it's just...ugh...

I'll take our pothead.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Im not sure I would call her defenseless plus if she had a friend or friends wouldnt they have jumped on Lance if he truly did that?
    Well you may indeed be right. I am referring specifically to the portion of the alleged incident in which a woman was pushed down a flight of stairs by a professional athlete and then subjected to having her head smashed against the bottom stair. I'm not sure what sort of defense she was supposed to mount against him at that point.

I guess what I'm saying is Lance seemed to mean to inflict injury and harm on this girl in a very real sense. While Matt Barnes seems to have been involved in your run of the mill cops episode maybe?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    ..ugh....it's just...ugh...

I'll take our pothead.
    By a mile. Rush is like an angel.

BTW, the differences between Lance and Matt are several. Lance has a bad reputation. Has Matt Barnes been cut from teams for attitude/selfishness? I have not heard that. Has he grabbed any girls azz? Oh, probably...;<) ...but seriously, the allegations are entirely different and quite honestly I would still be more concerned about bringing Lance on to play simply because of his Tinsbury attitude. The fact he may be prone to domestic abuse simply pours gasoline on a very big fire.
    LeWade are going down.

Banned

He's 6'5 225lbs. And mean looking.
    YOU wouldn't have intervened.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    He's 6'5 225lbs. And mean looking.
    YOU wouldn't have intervened.
    got to respectfully disagree

I know plenty of women who would have defended their girlfriend if she was in danger, regardless of the size of the one inflicting the danger

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Both Lance and Barnes have felony charges.

The main difference is that Barnes immediately claimed innocence. Lance waited for his agent to do so a few days after the fact.

In trial by media, Barnes appears to be doing much better. We shouldn't try Lance by media, but by due process.
    Some of us would say the main difference is there is no accusation of putting a womans head into a step AFTER pushing her down the stairs.

Banned

got to respectfully disagree

I know plenty of women who would have defended their girlfriend if she was in danger, regardless of the size of the one inflicting the danger
    Respectfully as well, disagree.
    I think it's very easy to imagine oneself and others being heroic in those situations, and a hell of a lot harder to actually take the first step.
    Easy when the girl is wrestling with the guy or something like that. Nobodies really gotten hurt and it's a tussle situation.

WHOLE nother thing when you've seen someone tossed like a rag doll in a very
    overpowering manner.
    Then slammed further while already down and probably hurt.
    Violence witnessed does intimidate.
    Men too.
    Women especially.
    Don't kid yourself, this isn't high school.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sounds like there's a difference in the number of witnesses potentially:

Barnes situation: 0
    Lance situation: at least 1

Goes from a he said/she said situation, which courts and cops and prosecutors won't be able to figure out much, to one where there's going to be a seperate account (granted, not necessarily unbiased).

This Barnes situation reminds me potentially of Tawney Kitaen and Cliff Lee (?) situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    Respectfully as well, disagree.
    I think it's very easy to imagine oneself and others being heroic in those situations, and a hell of a lot harder to actually take the first step.
    Easy when the girl is wrestling with the guy or something like that. Nobodies really gotten hurt and it's a tussle situation.

WHOLE nother thing when you've seen someone tossed like a rag doll in a very
    overpowering manner.
    Then slammed further while already down and probably hurt.
    Violence witnessed does intimidate.
    Men too.
    Women especially.
    Don't kid yourself, this isn't high school.
    Thats my point, I mean Im not saying the girls would put a whoping on him, just that they would not stand by ideally while their friend was under attack, and if he had pushed her down the stairs AND followed her they would run down there and try and pull him away from her at least.

Agian Im speaking of some, not all, women, but I know too many that would fight a man if it meant protecting their friend