Thread: The FIBA commish should mind his own business...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The FIBA commish should mind his own business...

Of all the FIBA rules that annoy me, this one is #1 by a country mile. It's such a ****ing gimmick that you can knock the ball off the rim in international play. Watching players on dead-ball free throws scramble frantically to keep the ball from spinning in is embarrassing.

I don't care if they change their rules to be more like ours, but leave our game the hell alone.

Oh yeah, and 3-on-3 basketball. Maybe they should have a H-O-R-S-E competition, too....I guess the Olympics gave up on standards when they allowed ballroom dancing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/...ory?id=5549848

FIBA discusses rules changes

* Email
    * Print
    * Comments59

By Chris Sheridan
    ESPN.com
    Archive

ISTANBUL -- The secretary general of FIBA, the governing body of international basketball, would like to see the NBA change its goaltending rules to allow players to knock the ball off the rim.

The official, Patrick Baumann, made the comment during a lunch meeting with eight selected American and European journalists Thursday before the final two quarterfinal games at the FIBA World Championship.

FIBA rules allow players to knock the ball off the rim after it touches the cylinder, whereas in the NBA that would constitute a goaltending violation.

Baumann also said the chances of Great Britain being awarded a spot in the 12-team field for the 2012 Olympics will be made next March during a meeting of the FIBA executive committee, but will be contingent in large part on the British Basketball Federation's road map toward building the growth of the sport for the long term.

FIBA will be instituting two rules changes at the conclusion of this tournament, abandoning the trapezoid lane in favor of an NBA-sized rectangular lane, and moving the 3-point line back by a half-meter (19˝ inches) from its current distance of 20 feet, 6.1 inches.

Baumann said the next rule change FIBA wants to institute is widening the court by 50 centimeters on each side, in large part to create additional room for players to attempt 3-point shots from the corners. FIBA courts are slightly smaller than NBA courts, measuring 91 feet, 10 inches long (compared to 94 feet in the NBA) and 49 feet, 2˝ inches wide (versus 50 feet in the NBA).

But Baumann, along with outgoing FIBA president Bob Elphinston of Australia and incoming president Yvan Mainini of France, said they are opposed to any changes in the number of timeouts (FIBA allows two per team in the first half and three in the second half, plus one in each overtime period) or the length of the game -- 40 minutes, as opposed to 48 in the NBA.

Baumann also said FIBA will continue to push the International Olympic committee to expand the field from 12 to 16 for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, along with making a push for adding 3-on-3 basketball as a separate competition.

FIBA has been trying for eight years to increase the size of the field, but has met resistance from the IOC, which wants to retain a limit of 10,500 athletes at the Olympic Games. Two sports, baseball and softball, have been dropped from the Olympics for 2012, while two other sports, golf and seven-man rugby, have been added.

"We think it makes perfect sense -- 16 for '16," Baumann said, adding that having four groups of four teams would actually shorten the amount of time needed to play the Olympic tournament by two days. "We're trying to enlarge the quality of the countries to play at the highest level, so that we have a more competitive field."

"There's a lot of politics in this environment," Baumann added. "But if you look around the world and get the statistics of what's the most popular sport in the age group 14-18, it's basketball across all genders. I don't think we have an issue on gaining hearts and minds; we do have a problem in turning those hearts and minds into the level of the structure that supports having 16 teams."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The FIBA commish should mind his own business...

3 on 3 basketball as a separate competition?

Is he for serious? What a clown.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Irrelevant ^_____^
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

3 on 3.... NBA Jam style........lol
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Wow. Streetball getting some international love! Rule the asphalt!

I wonder if the local Gus Mackers 3 on 3 tournaments will feed into state, regional, and national qualifiers to allow the best from each country to go to the Olympics? Maybe some of the "Gus Busters" officials could qualify for international competition at the same time? Maybe they will even have slam dunk competions where players jump over cars or whatever else they can dream up and are judged by an international panel of "experts" like figure skating and gymnastics?

What a joke.

Also, there is a reason goaltending rules have developed as they have here in the US, and that won't change. What will inevitably change is the increasing athleticism of the international players, and that will eventually necessitate a change in the international game where the goaltending rules will need to change to being more like the US as time goes by, especially with the lane no longer trapezoidal after this tournament (if I read that correctly), and that time might have already arrived, IMO.

Forgetting the rest, I wouldn't necessarily be offended if the NBA tried adopting the FIBA goal-tending rules. With the athleticism of this league, it could be fun or annoying. I'd have to see it in action before I could decide which way I lean.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3 on 3.... NBA Jam style........lol
    Blasphemy. That's that ****ty NBA Street nonsense.

Jam should ONLY be 2 on 2. I remember when they did 3 on 3, I believe it was for the PS2/XBOX versions. Terrible move. Terrible game, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Forgetting the rest, I wouldn't necessarily be offended if the NBA tried adopting the FIBA goal-tending rules. With the athleticism of this league, it could be fun or annoying. I'd have to see it in action before I could decide which way I lean.
    Ive seen it far too much already. There's a good reason why the NBA banned this already after the Wilt years.

If you get a good shot off, it should be given a fair chance to go in. Period.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

With the overall level of athleticism in the NBA, I think it would end the jumpshot as we know it. The game would evolve into nothing but layups and dunks, because such a high percentage of shots that touched the rim would be swatted away.

I fully expect FIBA to do away with the rule relatively soon. It's just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Blasphemy. That's that ****ty NBA Street nonsense.

Jam should ONLY be 2 on 2. I remember when they did 3 on 3, I believe it was for the PS2/XBOX versions. Terrible move. Terrible game, too.
    Agree with you that NBA Jam should be 2 on 2, but I liked NBA Street, too. At least the original, Vol. 2, and Vol. 3. Didn't care for the one that came out for the 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    With the overall level of athleticism in the NBA, I think it would end the jumpshot as we know it. The game would evolve into nothing but layups and dunks, because such a high percentage of shots that touched the rim would be swatted away.

I fully expect FIBA to do away with the rule relatively soon. It's just dumb.
    Honestly, and maybe I need to pay better attention, I don't notice a lot of shots rattling around the rim off of a jumpshot. I think of those kinds of "bobbles" off of field goal attempts in the paint/around the rim (floaters, tear drops, layups, tips), but not jump shots from further out.

Yeah, it would absolutely kill the mid-range game, which relies heavily on putting good backspin on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Honestly, and maybe I need to pay better attention, I don't notice a lot of shots rattling around the rim off of a jumpshot. I think of those kinds of "bobbles" off of field goal attempts in the paint/around the rim (floaters, tear drops, layups, tips), but not jump shots from further out.
    Like any skill, I think it would be practiced and perfected. What is currently happening now, with how the US performs the task in FIBA play, isn't what I would expect to happen if it was introduced into the NBA.

You would have to hit the shots cleanly, not touching the rim or atleast hitting the back of the rim square so it drops straight down. I think anything that hits the rim and bounces up would get knocked away. We're talking about athletes that already have such high wing spans that they can reach over 9ft, Hans standing reach was at 8-11 (I think that's what I saw in the other thread).

But then again, it might give a premium on offensive boxing out and keeping defenders away from the basket.

The only time I really see the US using it, is when the ball bounces multiple times and they have the time to think about doing it. If it was allowed in the NBA, it would happen a lot more just to it being more a reaction as opposed to a thought out action.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Yeah, it would absolutely kill the mid-range game, which relies heavily on putting good backspin on the ball.
    it's alive?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you allow goaltending then the game just deteriorates into soccer with an elevated goal. And the only position that matters is goalkeeper. That's not basketball, that's boring.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you