Thread: Starters?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Starters?

PG Collison
    SG Dunleavy
    SF Granger
    PF Hansbrough (or McRoberts)
    C Hibbert

I think Mike will be ready to take that starting position. He'll do better starting than coming off the bench I think, like he did a few seasons ago.

Tyler on the other hand, maybe wishful thinking that he'll be ready for the starting PF spot right away, but if he's not full back to his regular self, then it should go to Josh.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Who I would like:

Collison, Rush, Granger, Hansbrough, Hibbert

Who I would like for games 1-5:

Collison, I want to say George, but he's probably not ready so I'll say Jones, Granger, Hansbrough, Hibbert

Who I expect: (though I really don't know at the PF spot)

Collison, Rush, Granger, Posey, Hibbert

Expect for first five:

Collison, Dunleavy, Granger, Posey, Hibbert

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who I would like:

Who I would like for games 1-5:

Collison, I want to say George, but he's probably not ready so I'll say Jones, Granger, Hansbrough, Hibbert

Who I expect: (though I really don't know at the PF spot)

Collison, Rush, Granger, Posey, Hibbert

Expect for first five:

Collison, Dunleavy, Granger, Posey, Hibbert
    Posey at PF?

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I have never liked this idea in the least, and it wastes the only backup center we have. I don't expect O'Brien to seriously consider it, and I don't think pairing them helps the team in any significant way.

At this stage of his career, Jeff is basically just a center.

What about Magnum ?

He is 6"10 correct?

I think having him out on the court with a handful of minutes will free up Foster being able to slide to the 4 with Hibbert ....

Same thing with McRoberts..
    He has played minutes last season at the 5 , and done quite well actually..
    He is 6"10 as well .. So I don't really see much barring Foster playing the 4 position in short stretches or spot minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

I also like the idea of McRoberts playing Center , with Hansbrough at the PF spot .. In some situations ..

Could you imagine the intensity, and the "b@lls-to-the-wall" play on both ends of the floor with this group out there at the same time??

This would be my "small-ball" lineup , that I'd prefer.. IF JOB were going to go small...
    Which we ALL know it's his fetish .. LMAO

McRoberts
    Hansbrough
    Granger
    Price
    Collison

Granted I wouldn't like to see a whole lot of AJ playing as a small sg .. but for a quick scoring burst ,with 2 nice ball-handlers/passers on the floor .. It will make it so much easier for Tyler and McBob to get the easy lobs ..

Note : I don't condone small ball.. lmao .. But with JOB , I expect it...

I'm not gonna include the rooks , not untill I see them play throughout the season and see what they can contribute to this team..

But they look mighty promising...

Last edited by Kemo; 09-07-2010 at 06:20 PM.
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Posey at PF?
    Yep. It's no worse than Danny at the 4 in terms of "can he play there, even if it's for a short stretch."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I would be willing to bet that, assuming health - which I realize is a big assumption, we will come to see Tyler as a very effective mid-range shooter. I don't know if the pick and pop game will be there right away, but it's something he'll improve on dramatically over the next couple years to the point where he's just as good as West.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

"such is life" SYDNEY MILLER AUSTRALIA31's Avatar

i would go for

pg-collision
    sg-dunleavy
    sf-granger
    pf-foster
    c-hibbert

y i chose to go with foster i believe defensively we need him and it sort of evens things out in the starting line up, by having atleast 2 players interested in playing defense in foster and collision and maybe granger if they rub off on him and then you have four players who can score and with foster picking up the rebounds/setting screens instead of looking to score. thats what the pacers have known him to do and we know we can rely on foster to do his job, let tyler watch from the bench so he knows what standard foster is setting so he can emulate it him self
    THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU HEAR MY VOICE , NEXT TIME YOU WILL SEE MY FACE

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I also like the idea of McRoberts playing Center , with Hansbrough at the PF spot .. In some situations ..

Could you imagine the intensity, and the "b@lls-to-the-wall" play on both ends of the floor with this group out there at the same time??

This would be my "small-ball" lineup , that I'd prefer.. IF JOB were going to go small...

McRoberts
    Hansbrough
    Granger
    Price
    Collison

Granted I wouldn't like to see a whole lot of AJ playing as a small sg .. but for a quick scoring burst ,with 2 nice ball-handlers/passers on the floor .. It will make it so much easier for Tyler and McBob to get the easy lobs ..

I'm not gonna include the rooks , not untill I see them play throughout the season and see what they can contribute to this team..

The thing is, Jimmy likes Small ball so he can play Rush at the 3 and Granger at the 4. I think we will see

Collison
    Price
    Rush
    Granger
    Hibbert

With this...

Personally, I like Rush at the three and Granger at the 4..SOMETIMES.

Collison and Price..*sigh* I suppose it's better than TJ and Earl. Honestly, too bad one of them wasn't bigger because I do think they can compliment each other. The issue with the smaller lineup is obvioulsy defensively. Both, at least try defensively, and I suppose AJ or Darren guarding the 2 is probably going to be better than Dun guarding the 2..but still...we're just going to get killed on PnRs because both of them typically get bounced out of the way when someone sets a pick on them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    The thing is, Jimmy likes Small ball so he can play Rush at the 3 and Granger at the 4. I think we will see

Collison
    Price
    Rush
    Granger
    Hibbert

With this...

Personally, I like Rush at the three and Granger at the 4..SOMETIMES.

Collison and Price..*sigh* I suppose it's better than TJ and Earl. Honestly, too bad one of them wasn't bigger because I do think they can compliment each other. The issue with the smaller lineup is obvioulsy defensively. Both, at least try defensively, and I suppose AJ or Darren guarding the 2 is probably going to be better than Dun guarding the 2..but still...we're just going to get killed on PnRs because both of them typically get bounced out of the way when someone sets a pick on them.
    That team gets killed on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    That team gets killed on the glass.
    Any small ball team would get killed on the glass. (Which was what I was talking about)

And honestly, with Roy not being a fantastic rebounder, and us not really having a PF..we're going to get killed on the glass regardless.

Any small ball team would get killed on the glass. (Which was what I was talking about)

And honestly, with Roy not being a fantastic rebounder, and us not really having a PF..we're going to get killed on the glass regardless.
    I hoping that Roy will get 2 more boards a game on average this year. 5.7 to 7.7 is what I'm thinking/hoping.

Partly because he'll get more minutes, partly because of improved mobility, partly because of improved understanding, and partly because the designated defensive rebounder is gone.

I don't ever see him as a dominant rebounder, he's not an explosive leaper or quick twitch kinda player. I do see him hovering around 8 in his prime. Thats good enough, I think.

Roy half joked about 'most improved' this year, I think he'll for sure get some votes when it's all said and done.

Keep in mind, I am one of the guys with the Roy avatar. <--

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I hoping that Roy will get 2 more boards a game on average this year. 5.7 to 7.7 is what I'm thinking/hoping.

Partly because he'll get more minutes, partly because of improved mobility, partly because of improved understanding, and partly because the designated defensive rebounder is gone.

I don't ever see him as a dominant rebounder, he's not an explosive leaper or quick twitch kinda player. I do see him hovering around 8 in his prime. Thats good enough, I think.

Roy half joked about 'most improved' this year, I think he'll for sure get some votes when it's all said and done.

Oh I didn't mean anything against Roy. I love the guy. And I think he'll get more rebounds this season too. It's just rebounding isn't one of the qualities he excells in. And because we don't really have a power forward (or one that's going to be getting a ton of rebounds) Any lineup we throw out there is going to get killed. We just have to either create enough turnovers (which I suppose, is an incentive for the small ball lineup), or shoot a high enough FG percentage to make up for the rebounding difference.
    Last edited by Sookie; 09-08-2010 at 03:38 PM.

McRoberts
    Hansbrough
    Granger
    Price
    Collison

Actually I think that line-up would be really effective for short periods of time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Let's all keep in mind that Roy averaged over 8 rebounds per game when Troy was out. I don't think that's an unrealistic number for him at all.

Regardless, rebounding still is a weakness of this team, but it was last year, so it's not like much has changed.

However, if we get 15 minutes a game of Foster at C and a steady diet of Hans/McRoberts at PF, we could be an average rebounding team next season.

- Salman Rushdie

McRoberts
    Hansbrough
    Granger
    Price
    Collison

Skill set wise, the lineup works much better with McRoberts at PF and Tyler at C.

- Salman Rushdie

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SYDNEY MILLER AUSTRALIA31 View Post
    i would go for

pg-collision
    sg-dunleavy
    sf-granger
    pf-foster
    c-hibbert

y i chose to go with foster i believe defensively we need him and it sort of evens things out in the starting line up, by having atleast 2 players interested in playing defense in foster and collision and maybe granger if they rub off on him and then you have four players who can score and with foster picking up the rebounds/setting screens instead of looking to score. thats what the pacers have known him to do and we know we can rely on foster to do his job, let tyler watch from the bench so he knows what standard foster is setting so he can emulate it him self
    Sydney, may I introduce you to the period: .

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Actually I think that line-up would be really effective for short periods of time.

That's what I was thinking too .. as you said .. in "short periods of time.."

I was thinking , that JOB is gonna go small at times, that's a given.. I just think that ... THAT particular lineup would be excellent for a short burst of unadultrated energy off the bench.. and having both AJ and DC , being able to handle the ball and both able to make plays .. it would fascillitate McRoberts and Tyler greatly in the PnR , and on fastbreaks for the slam ..

My preference for a starting 5 would be:

Collison
    Dunleavy
    Granger
    McRoberts (As long as he doesn't try to be Troy Murphy)
    Hibbert

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:

This could be a false memory, but I'd swear that it was mentioned in last year's pre-season that Tyler Hansbrough had never run a PnR in his life before coming to the Pacers. Sounds outlandish, but I'm sure that was what I'd heard last year around this time.
    I know, right? It's not what they do at Carolina, so it's at least fair to say that he lacked experience in it - and that's especially outlandish, in your word, because Tyler was made to play NBA pick and roll basketball. They should have him working on the jumper from elbows extended, I think, but the good old roll should be his bread and butter because he makes good things happen in the paint.

Last year was a write-off for him in a lot of areas, but it seems pretty clear that he can draw fouls and make good decisions with the ball at the NBA level.

Let me put it this way: I can see either one of them getting starts on a regular basis - I can't see either one of them playing 30 minutes, or even 24 minutes, on a regular basis.
    I don't agree, at least when it comes to Tyler; I think 24 minutes is very possible this season. He played over 17 per last year, most of it restricted because of the anterior compartment syndrome or stress reaction or whatever it was; O'Brien really really wanted him on the floor, and would've played him more if he could've - and the biggest change in personnel so far this year is the departure of Murphy, who plays Tyler's position.

McRoberts should be a good candidate for pick and rolls, too, as far as that is concerned - very smart with the ball, great feel, good passer, and at the same time athletic (unusual combination); the only problem to this point is that he doesn't have a lot of ways to get the ball to go into the basket. That could change; remember Bird saying in April that if he were Josh he'd be in the gym shooting jumpers every day.
    :
    :

"Defense doesn't break down on the help, it breaks down on the recovery." - Chuck Daly

"The first shot does not beat you." - Chuck Daly

"To play defense and not foul is an art that must be mastered if you are going to be successful." - Chuck Daly

If/when everyone is available:

Only exception I'd like to see is switch out Hans for George, but I don't forsee George as ready to start anytime soon. Dunleavy, if truly healthy, could make a nice contribution off the bench, IMO. If he just kind of muddles around at last year's level of play, though, we might not see him that much with D. Jones, Posey, George all cued up in the wing player mold.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Banned

So magnify it as much as possible???
    Think not likely.

Banned

Oh I didn't mean anything against Roy. I love the guy. And I think he'll get more rebounds this season too. It's just rebounding isn't one of the qualities he excells in. And because we don't really have a power forward (or one that's going to be getting a ton of rebounds) Any lineup we throw out there is going to get killed. We just have to either create enough turnovers (which I suppose, is an incentive for the small ball lineup), or shoot a high enough FG percentage to make up for the rebounding difference.
    Where are you pulling this assumption that our 4 is invisible?
    Tyler will likely be a very good NBA player and Jeff already is.
    Jeff WILL get a ton of rebounds if he's healthy and he plays the minutes.
    Not going to happen with us shrinking each position (1 playing 2, 2 playing 3, 3 playing 4)

Quote Originally Posted by O'Bird View Post
    I know, right? It's not what they do at Carolina, so it's at least fair to say that he lacked experience in it - and that's especially outlandish, in your word, because Tyler was made to play NBA pick and roll basketball. They should have him working on the jumper from elbows extended, I think, but the good old roll should be his bread and butter because he makes good things happen in the paint.

Last year was a write-off for him in a lot of areas, but it seems pretty clear that he can draw fouls and make good decisions with the ball at the NBA level.

I don't agree, at least when it comes to Tyler; I think 24 minutes is very possible this season. He played over 17 per last year, most of it restricted because of the anterior compartment syndrome or stress reaction or whatever it was; O'Brien really really wanted him on the floor, and would've played him more if he could've - and the biggest change in personnel so far this year is the departure of Murphy, who plays Tyler's position.

McRoberts should be a good candidate for pick and rolls, too, as far as that is concerned - very smart with the ball, great feel, good passer, and at the same time athletic (unusual combination); the only problem to this point is that he doesn't have a lot of ways to get the ball to go into the basket. That could change; remember Bird saying in April that if he were Josh he'd be in the gym shooting jumpers every day.
    :
    I am speaking only of this year.

My concern with Tyler first and foremost is health preventing him from playing any minutes at all. However, assuming full health, I still think that he has a lot to prove before you can expect long minutes for him. If he had stayed healthy all last year, but not become consistent with his midrange jumper and not learned how to get his shot off in the post better, those flaws would have (and should have) limited the amount of time he'd be on the floor. Those issues remain, until he proves otherwise.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yep. It's no worse than Danny at the 4 in terms of "can he play there, even if it's for a short stretch."
    Anyone else have a feeling that Possey will become the "new Murphy" ?

In the sense that he will love this veteran and play him more minutes than we might like?
    Sittin on top of the world!