Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starters?

Default Starters?

May be too early, but we are officially 3 weeks away from the first training camp practice, my friends.

So who are the starters?

I think we can comfortable state this.

DC at the Point
    Roy at the Center
    Granger at 3 or 4.

What's that leave us?

I, personally, have no idea, but I'm interested to hear what others prefer.

Default Re: Starters?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    May be too early, but we are officially 3 weeks away from the first training camp practice, my friends.

So who are the starters?

I think we can comfortable state this.

DC at the Point
    Roy at the Center
    Granger at 3 or 4.

What's that leave us?

I, personally, have no idea, but I'm interested to hear what others prefer.
    Hibbert, Granger, Collison.

I'd like to see either Hansbrough or McRoberts show enough in Training Camp to at least get the "short minute" starts - similar to what Hibbert got as a rookie.

Rush will be the starting 2, once he returns. I'm not sure what happens with the backup wings. A lot depends on how well McRoberts or Hansbrough can play in order to solidify the 4. If they struggle or aren't healthy enough, then you'll see Danny get more minutes at the 4, which will open more time for George/DJones/Dunleavy/Posey. It's impossible to tell at this point who will get minutes among those guys.

I am also hopeful that Price is ready to go at least short minutes from the start of the season, and he would be the backup 1. I do not expect Stephenson to be a part of this team.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

I tend to agree with count. Ideally I don't want Granger to start at the 4 (although I fully expect and accept the fact that he is liable to play more minutes at the 4 than anyone else we currently have on our roster)

Rush - who knows at this point. I suppose if he plays well in training camp he'll be in the starting lineup in game #6.

Here's what I've been thinking about.

What about Foster starting next to Roy at PF?

I think there are a bunch of question marks with Jeff's health, coaches M.O. for the PF position, who then backs Roy up at Center?

As far as an on-court fit, my mind keeps going back to this possibility. Match up flexibility (Jeff takes the better frontcourt player defensively, veteran prescence, energy, offensive rebounding.

If you start Jeff, his back will be warmed up, too. If you could get 8 minutes each half I think it would maybe set the tone and give some consistency to that starting group.

My best guess...

PG - Collison (lock)
    SG - Dunleavy (I think he'll return to form and stick past game 5)
    SF - Granger (lock)
    PF - McRoberts (hopefully Hans can play at some point this season)
    C - Hibbert (lock)

Call me crazy, but I don't think BRush will start at any point this season. In fact, I'm hoping against all hope that PG will come in and shine big time and take the backup minutes at SG from him as well...

Here's what I've been thinking about.

What about Foster starting next to Roy at PF?

I think there are a bunch of question marks with Jeff's health, coaches M.O. for the PF position, who then backs Roy up at Center?

As far as an on-court fit, my mind keeps going back to this possibility. Match up flexibility (Jeff takes the better frontcourt player defensively, veteran prescence, energy, offensive rebounding.

If you start Jeff, his back will be warmed up, too. If you could get 8 minutes each half I think it would maybe set the tone and give some consistency to that starting group.
    I have never liked this idea in the least, and it wastes the only backup center we have. I don't expect O'Brien to seriously consider it, and I don't think pairing them helps the team in any significant way.

At this stage of his career, Jeff is basically just a center.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just like last season, there is no "3" and there is no "4". If you really want to use the old 1-2-3-4-5 numbering system, Troy was an oversized wing (2/3) in a three-wing lineup, not a "4".

Anyway, I think this year, after game #5, the lineup will be:

Collison - Rush - Dunleavy - Granger - Hibbert.

Except on the rare occasions we anticipate a matchup problem at one of the forward spots, and then it will be Collison - Rush - Granger - Tyler - Hibbert.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Indiana is going to have to do one more trade to get rid of some of our wing players. Plus, there's no real information on Hansbrough and Foster. Until we hear something different, my guess will be Dunleavy at the 2 and McRoberts at the 4 to start the season.

Mood

I expect the starting lineup, on opening day, to be Collison, Dunleavy, Granger, Hansbrough and Hibbert. After his suspension Rush may get a nod depending on Mike's production. Tyler will have a chance to keep his job, McBob is a possibility if Tyler falters. Twill be interesting to see if George can progress to the point of getting serious minutes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I have never liked this idea in the least, and it wastes the only backup center we have. I don't expect O'Brien to seriously consider it, and I don't think pairing them helps the team in any significant way.

At this stage of his career, Jeff is basically just a center.
    Agreed about it using our backup center. But otherwise I think 180 degrees opposite. I think it would be a very nice combination and it would help the teams rebounding in a very significant way.
    Jeff would ave double figure rebounding without a doubt. And our interior defense would be much stronger.
    Unfortunately we don't have another center to spell Roy, so that will be a limited time lineup for sure.

What I would like to see as our starting 5 on day 1...

PG - Collision
    SG - Dahntay
    SF - Danny
    PF - McRoberts
    C - Roy

From the defensive standpoint:
    I like the idea of Dahntay and Collison pressuring the opposing team's backcourt from a defensive standpoint. Danny hasn't shown much dedication to defense throughout the FIBA world championships, so I doubt he's going to blow our minds by showing up to training camp with defense on his mind. I like the idea of having McRoberts over Tyler from the benefit of weak side rotation or help side shot blocking, as well as the ability to guard the athletic 4's that have torched the Pacers early in the game during the Murphy era. If Dahntay and Collison can stay with their man and McRoberts can do even a slightly better job than Murphy did at keeping his man in front of him, I think it will help quite a bit in keeping Roy out of early foul trouble.

From an offensive standpoint:
    McRoberts and Roy work better together in my mind than Tyler and Roy, simply due to diversity with Roy taking low post options and McRoberts taking high post options on offense. Tyler's passing ability or court vision is nowhere near that of McBob, so I like having that diversity thrown into the mix. Dahntay gives you someone who can slash, attack the basket and provide mid-range scoring to prevent the sort of "all in or all out" problem the pacers have had at times over the past couple of years. The diversity in the options, I believe, will give Collison the flexibility that he needs in order to orchestrate the offense effectively...again, rather than just having the one or two options that our past PGs have had, those being either throw it in the post, or look for someone out at the arc. Danny can do what Danny seems to feel comfortable doing: fill in the empty spaces, catch and shoot. I would like for him to add "catch and create" to that, but I'm a realist. I really expected him to benefit from the FIBA experience, but from what I've seen on the court, I've seen little improvement in his game over the summer...unlike what I've seen out of Rudy Gay and Iggy which has been very pleasing.

What I think Jim will likely have as our starting 5 on day 1...
    PG - Collison
    SG - Dunleavy
    SF - Posey
    PF - Danny
    C - Roy
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Interesting and not to side track things. New Orleans offense had alot of pick and pop with David West built in. Thats really not McBob or Tyler's game. A guy who's game it could be? Magnum Rolle. I'm not suggesting he's a starter or even a rotation guy at this point; he still has to make the team. However, after reading some of these thoughts, I'd love to see Collison and him play together at some point. It seems like a match, maybe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I'm surprised how many people see McBob as a possible starter, I didn't expect that. That's a big jump from where he's coming from.

I'm surprised how many people see McBob as a possible starter, I didn't expect that. That's a big jump from where he's coming from.
    McRoberts is quality. Dumb O'Brien was just stubborn and never gave him a chance until late last year. I've always been high on McRoberts, he can straight out ball. He's fine tuning his game, and would not be surprised if he's a double double guy not this season, but the next.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to luis3ep For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luis3ep View Post
    McRoberts is quality. Dumb O'Brien was just stubborn and never gave him a chance until late last year. I've always been high on McRoberts, he can straight out ball. He's fine tuning his game, and would not be surprised if he's a double double guy not this season, but the next.

I'll give you a single double in minutes, but at least that would be a good starting point.

Assuming the other four starters that I show below, just for the purposes of discussion, who would you put at the 4 spot...and, of course, why?

PG - Collision
    SG - Dahntay
    SF - Danny
    PF - ?
    C - Roy
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Interesting and not to side track things. New Orleans offense had alot of pick and pop with David West built in. Thats really not McBob or Tyler's game. A guy who's game it could be? Magnum Rolle. I'm not suggesting he's a starter or even a rotation guy at this point; he still has to make the team. However, after reading some of these thoughts, I'd love to see Collison and him play together at some point. It seems like a match, maybe.
    From Kevin Arnovitz back when we asked people about Hibbert:

Hibbert has very soft hands and is able to catch the ball in traffic then finish. This makes him a valuable pick-and-roll guy, which, in most systems around the league, is 50 percent of a centerís grade.
    McBob should be a decent PnR guy, as well.

This could be a false memory, but I'd swear that it was mentioned in last year's pre-season that Tyler Hansbrough had never run a PnR in his life before coming to the Pacers. Sounds outlandish, but I'm sure that was what I'd heard last year around this time. That being said, being the roll guy ain't rocket science, and he should be able to pick that up.

Keep in mind that there's a difference between being a "starting quality player" and being a guy who starts. McRoberts is not a starting quality player, but on this roster, it doesn't seem unreasonable to use the 15-20 minutes he can give you - or at least a 6-minute chunk of it - at the start of the game. The same could be said for Hansbrough.

Let me put it this way: I can see either one of them getting starts on a regular basis - I can't see either one of them playing 30 minutes, or even 24 minutes, on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts View Post
    Assuming the other four starters that I show below, just for the purposes of discussion, who would you put at the 4 spot...and, of course, why?

PG - Collision
    SG - Dahntay
    SF - Danny
    PF - ?
    C - Roy
    All things being equal, I'd put Tyler there. Roy and Tyler played very nicely together in the summer league two years ago, but not just that. I think Hansbrough physical rugged style compliments Roy perfectly.

I like McRoberts athleticism and I think he's much improved defensively, maybe even underated. I also think he's a much better passer than Tyler.

That said his style isn't and really doesn't need to be that bull in the china shop that is a Hansbrough.

So if Roy is a finesse center, I want the most physical option next to him. That's Tyler to me.

I like McRoberts to still get minutes, but as a break running, excellent passing, energy guy off the bench.

And really if Jeff doesn't have much in the tank, McRoberts might get as many minutes as Tyler for what I'd do.

So for me, it's about the complimentary pieces. Things Roy doesn't do, Tyler does, things Tyler doesn't do, Roy does. And that goes on both ends of the court, imo.

McRoberts brings you a bit of both guys, so I'd bring him off the bench.

Agreed, but I'm not sure who else the Pacers have that can fill the PF spot right now. Hans probably won't play at the beginning of the season if at all, Foster is probably our backup center, SJones likely won't be in the rotation, and I doubt Rolle can come in and land a starting job. So really, what is the other option at PF besides Josh? Or Danny if the Pacers start small? We have no legit PF right now, so McBobs is listed by default.

I must admit that like you, I am super excited about Magnum. Give him a year or two though...

For me, McRoberts is just the default starting PF until we know the situation with Hansbrough. Given the choice, Hansbrough would be my starting PF everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    From Kevin Arnovitz back when we asked people about Hibbert:

McBob should be a decent PnR guy, as well.

This could be a false memory, but I'd swear that it was mentioned in last year's pre-season that Tyler Hansbrough had never run a PnR in his life before coming to the Pacers. Sounds outlandish, but I'm sure that was what I'd heard last year around this time. That being said, being the roll guy ain't rocket science, and he should be able to pick that up.

Keep in mind that there's a difference between being a "starting quality player" and being a guy who starts. McRoberts is not a starting quality player, but on this roster, it doesn't seem unreasonable to use the 15-20 minutes he can give you - or at least a 6-minute chunk of it - at the start of the game. The same could be said for Hansbrough.

Let me put it this way: I can see either one of them getting starts on a regular basis - I can't see either one of them playing 30 minutes, or even 24 minutes, on a regular basis.

On the pick and roll part, I was meaning pick and pop, exclusively. So a guy who in one fluid motion can set up at 17 feet and hit that shot all day, like David West, PJ Brown, Udonis Haslem come to mind. Roy can do that I think, but he's a slow shooter so he really needs to be wide, wide open, if that makes sense.

Reason I say pop, is I agree rolling to the basket is easy enough and really easy enough to guard or at least easier. You're rolling into help. Pick and pop is really hard to guard if you set a good enough pick and have a smart point guard (hopefully finally.)

With the pick and pop, McBob doesn't get his body quiet enough/quick enough to do this effectively. Tyler's really the same almost, they both almost need to shoot set shots to be effective or no more than one dribble to their strong hand. A guy who does look to have good body control setting up for his shot and a really really really nice 17 foot shot is Magnum. Magnum has light feet and gets into his shot very smoothly. His shot is so consistent looking.

As for the McBob/Tyler thing, I hope your wrong more than I can make a good enough argument against.
    Last edited by Speed; 09-07-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Collison, Dunleavy, Granger, Hansbrough, Hibbert
    Collison, Rush, Granger, Hansbrough, Hibbert
    Collison, Rush, Dunleavy, Granger, Hibbert

I believe those are the 3 options.

I still expect another trade to take place in the next couple of weeks though. I can't see Rolle not being on the roster

Mood

I'd like it to be

Collison
    Rush
    Granger
    Hansbrough
    Hibbert

But obviously, Rush will miss a few games and Hans' status is uncertain. So, I won't be surprised if we start

Collison
    Rush
    Dunleavy
    Granger
    Hibbert

...but I will be disappointed.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Collison, Dunleavy, Granger, Hansbrough, Hibbert
    Collison, Rush, Granger, Hansbrough, Hibbert
    Collison, Rush, Dunleavy, Granger, Hibbert

I believe those are the 3 options.

I still expect another trade to take place in the next couple of weeks though. I can't see Rolle not being on the roster
    I would like to see another trade too, but if it doesn't happen then Rolle gets Stephensons spot. (assuming the worst)

Tyler's .360 fg percentage still worries me. Maybe the ear infection had something to do with it.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to KennerLeaguer For This Useful Post: