Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoutsí Views: 5 guys about to make it big [Collison mentioned]

Default Scoutsí Views: 5 guys about to make it big [Collison mentioned]

1. Jrue Holiday(notes), PG, 76ers. He is long and talented and has really only scratched his potential. But the more he played last season, the better he got. The question has always been: How well can he run a team? And if you are going to have him as your one, you want to have a two who can be a playmaker, too. That's what they have with Evan Turner(notes).

2. Darren Collison(notes), PG, Pacers. When you look at the numbers he put up as a starter when Chris Paul(notes) was hurt, obviously, if he gets big minutes he is going to produce. The one thing that worries me, though, is whether he'll fit Jim O'Brien's system. It's not a traditional offense where the point guard simply creates and racks up assists. That's what he did in New Orleans, and O'Brien will have to adjust a bit.

3. Kevin Love(notes), PF, Timberwolves. He has gotten better as a rebounder, and he is one of the more versatile power forwards out there. He can shoot it from medium and long range, and he is a tough matchup. He has to get better defensivelyóif he had been healthy all of last year, he would have made some natural improvements.

4. D.J. Augustin(notes), PG, Bobcats. Someone has to be the point guard. He took some steps backward last year, but that was because Larry Brown really wanted to make Ray Felton into a pretty good point guard. And he did. Now, with Felton gone, he can do the same with Augustin. He can shoot the 3, but he has to do better at playing within Larry's system and not trying to do too much on his own.

5. J.J. Hickson(notes), PF, Cavaliers. There is a reason everybody wanted this guy at the trading deadline, but the Cavs will be happy they kept him. He is a beast inside and a great athlete. He could eventually block 2.5 to three shots per game. He will be a good rebounder, and although he might not have the smoothest offensive game, he runs the floor very wellóand they're going to be a good transition team.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...lug=tsn-166987

Yahoo! Sports
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Scoutsí Views: 5 guys about to make it big [Collison mentioned]

Glad to see Collison and Kevin Love on that list. I still contend that we should do whatever we can to get Love.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glad to see Collison and Kevin Love on that list. I still contend that we should do whatever we can to get Love.
    If we want Love, we're looking at trading Granger.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If we want Love, we're looking at trading Granger.

As unpopular as this likely is in Indy... I'd definitely do that trade. I just doubt that Minnesota would.

As unpopular as this likely is in Indy... I'd definitely do that trade. I just doubt that Minnesota would.
    You never know..Minni was ready to give Jefferson for Granger. But then again, some beleive Minni traded Jefferson because him and Love didnt get along well

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm under the impression that Jefferson was indeed traded to make more room for Love.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In this thread,we overrate Kevin Love.
    Pacers,baby!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeliumFear For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Just how good can Collison be? A Robin to Granger's Batman or, dare I say, even better than Danny?

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Just how good can Collison be? A Robin to Granger's Batman or, dare I say, even better than Danny?
    I would say he could be as good as Danny at some point. However playing PG he could have much more influence on the result of the game. That said, I still believe we need a 3rd player at their talent level to really compete. Be that Roy stepping up, or Paul George in a year or two, or what we do with our cap space this year. In my dream scenario, that's Roy stepping up, PG being a very good SG, and getting a player of that level at PF this offseason.

*sigh* ..... dream dream dream ....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HeliumFear View Post
    No we don't. Minnesota would reject Granger for Love.

I'm under the impression that Jefferson was indeed traded to make more room for Love.
    I had this problem with my freshman year roommate. Jefferson must have been a c**kblock.
    2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    No. We wouldn't offer Granger for Love.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

No doubt!

Granger >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Love
    and that is coming from a non-indiana fan.... What love has done is nothing as yet, his team is still on the bottom of the ladder so his stats are padded. Similar to Curry's in GS uptempo offense.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Magic-man For This Useful Post:

and O'Brien will have to adjust a bit.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post

Kahn is collecting SFs this year. There's no way he would pass Granger up.

On a serious note,Love would look like junk if he had to bare the offensive load Danny does. He doesn't do enough in other areas of the game to make up for that,either.

Granger > Love
    Pacers,baby!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Magic-man View Post
    No doubt!

Granger >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Love
    and that is coming from a non-indiana fan.... What love has done is nothing as yet, his team is still on the bottom of the ladder so his stats are padded. Similar to Curry's in GS uptempo offense.
    The Pacers also finished out of the playoffs last season, so I wouldn't really bring up team standings. And how can your stats be padded when you're playing less than 30MPG? If Love was playing 36MPG he'd probably be leading the league in rebounding.

Kahn is collecting SFs this year. There's no way he would pass Granger up.

On a serious note,Love would look like junk if he had to bare the offensive load Danny does. He doesn't do enough in other areas of the game to make up for that,either.

Granger > Love

Right now, I agree that Danny is going to have a better season... but he's also turning 28 this sesason, whereas Love just turned 22. Which player would you rather have in three years? And I'll remind you that per-36 minutes, Kevin Love does just about everything better except scoring (and he rarely got plays called for him last season). To me, Kevin Love's game is the definition of "doing the little things." He's improving as a defender (while Danny is on the decline there) and is a great passer who boxes guys out and sets screens. Did I mention he has three-point range and generally takes good shots? There's a big difference between being a better player and being a more valuable player. To me there are only a handful of guys in the league that can bring as much offensively as Love, whereas there are probably a couple dozen guys that could score 20+ PPG if they were taking 18 FG (7 3PT) per game.

I hope I don't come across as a Danny hater, because I really love his game and go to bat for him a lot in conversations outside of the Digest, but I'd really have a guy that can put up numbers AND do the little things than a guy that puts up less well rounded numbers while doing few of the little things.

yeah, I've watched Kevin love play, and I am not impressed. perhaps he is one of those guys that is better the more you see him.

24-25 point a game scorers don't grow on trees. Even if you adjust for the crappy team factor, he's still a 20 plus point a game scorer, easy.

If Paul George would start to reach his potential in 3 - 4 years and you could sign and trade Danny (at the end of his contract) for a guy like Love, it makes sense. At that point, it still wouldn't work for the other team due to Danny's age, probably.

As for right now, I think it would be cutting off your nose to spite your face scenario.

That said, I really do like Love, just not for Danny and not right now.

depending on what george shows us this year I would be okay with trading granger for a kevin love type player.

trade high.

I would not want Kevin Love if we're going with Hibbert as a long-term starting center. Someone like Love needs a Dwight Howard type of player next to him to be most effective since a center like that could make up for Love's weaknesses.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    I would not want Kevin Love if we're going with Hibbert as a long-term starting center. Someone like Love needs a Dwight Howard type of player next to him to be most effective since a center like that could make up for Love's weaknesses.
    Well anyone could use a Dwight Howard type player next to him and be effective.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree that Love and Hibbert together might not be an ideal combination, but I think both have the potential to improve to the point where they can both be average to above-average defenders. If you put them next to wings that can stay in front of their man, then you've really got something. And man, I really like the idea of having two bigs that are as good as passers as Roy and Love.

Mood

The Pacers also finished out of the playoffs last season, so I wouldn't really bring up team standings. And how can your stats be padded when you're playing less than 30MPG? If Love was playing 36MPG he'd probably be leading the league in rebounding.

Right now, I agree that Danny is going to have a better season... but he's also turning 28 this sesason, whereas Love just turned 22. Which player would you rather have in three years? And I'll remind you that per-36 minutes, Kevin Love does just about everything better except scoring (and he rarely got plays called for him last season). To me, Kevin Love's game is the definition of "doing the little things." He's improving as a defender (while Danny is on the decline there) and is a great passer who boxes guys out and sets screens. Did I mention he has three-point range and generally takes good shots? There's a big difference between being a better player and being a more valuable player. To me there are only a handful of guys in the league that can bring as much offensively as Love, whereas there are probably a couple dozen guys that could score 20+ PPG if they were taking 18 FG (7 3PT) per game.

I hope I don't come across as a Danny hater, because I really love his game and go to bat for him a lot in conversations outside of the Digest, but I'd really have a guy that can put up numbers AND do the little things than a guy that puts up less well rounded numbers while doing few of the little things.
    You kinda make it sound like Danny is some chucker. I actually just read another post in another forum about this: "I think people tend to look at his FG percentage which was 44.7 and 42.8 last two years and assume he is just a chucker. The truth is he just takes a lot of threes and he converts them at a good enough rate to make him efficient. He averaged 26 points on 58 percent true shooting last year and 24 points on 56.4 percent true shooting. Not to imply that he is as good as them at scoring but both those percentages were better than what Melo, Kobe and Wade posted during those years." (Thanks to Ninja Sheppard of the GameFAQs.com S&R NBA board)

Not everyone could score an efficient 20+ PPG,but Danny does a good job of it.

Kevin Love can do "the little things". Is that really worth giving up a star? It's not.
    Pacers,baby!

Banned

Danny IS a chucker now. He made it official with his "I score the ball, that's what I do" comment a few weeks ago.
    His game has shown it the past 2 years.
    His defense has become invisible and he doesn't rebound or block shots 1/2 as well as he used to.
    This team will never go anywhere with Danny scoring 25pts on 20 shots per game.
    He's not a "Star".
    He's simply the closest thing we have to one, so he gets the shots.
    He COULD be the all around "star" type player if he had the attitude correct.
    But it appears he's become another NBA mentality victim.
    "gotta score to be the man"........

That role will soon pass to Roy as he will be a more efficient scorer with better percentages and better offensive rebound opportunities for himself and others.
    IF Danny can man up to the affront to his manhood that not being "the man" with the ball at he end of the game, he COULD still become a star with 18ppg, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks.
    Last edited by MLB007; 09-08-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Mood

Define chucker. Distinguish between chucker and scorer.