Thread: Moving back to Indiana

Default Moving back to Indiana

Its been 3 years since I last lived in Indiana. I've moved from Northern Indiana to Cincinnati to Spokane,WA.

We thought we would be in Spokane for at least 10 years, but I got transferd back to the midwest due to company downsizing on the west coast. It really took my family and I by surprise. We really love it out here in Spokane..its absolutely beautiful out here and the people are some of the nicest ive ever met in my life. But we have no family out here, everyone is back in Indiana..which is about 2,000mi away.

While we are very happy to get back to Indiana (we just had our first baby about 6mo ago). We arent exactly excited about what town (Terre Haute)...Ive drove through there before..but thats the extent of my experience with the area. And from what we've read online its not the greatest town. Does anyone know anything about the area?

One thing we always missed about Indiana was the food...yes I know that sounds crazy. But out of all the places i've traveled to across the US I must admit that Indiana has some of the best resturants. And one big thing is we miss getting breadsticks and cheese. If you ask for cheese with your breadsticks out here in Spokane they look at you like you are from another planet.

Anyways...we hope Indiana welcomes us back with open arms!
    Last edited by Brian; 09-06-2010 at 11:56 PM.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Moving back to Indiana

I'm a Hautian born and raised and I'm not alone. There are several posters here who grew up there. What company transferred you to TH if you don't mind me asking? Do you know where you'll be living?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a Hautian born and raised and I'm not alone. There are several posters here who grew up there. What company transferred you to TH if you don't mind me asking? Do you know where you'll be living?
    Well we are actually looking for a place. Ive heard north t.h. is nice, and there is a really nice house for rent in the south part of town in a country sub division.
    LoneGranger33 said

Mood

I grew up in North Terre Haute. I never thought the schools were anything special, but after seeing the schools over here in Indy I have a new appreciation for them. Maybe that's not a concern for you. I like the North much more than South Terre Haute. Laid back, good neighborhoods, easy to get around. If you have any other questions just let me know.

The new-mown hay sends all its fragrance
    O'er the fields you used to roam.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

If you don't mind a half hour commute every morning, my wife is from Clinton, IN, and it seems like a really nice small town. It was founded by Chicago mobsters as their home away from home, so there's some really nice houses that are now selling for a very good price due to the shut-down of the VX gas facility that was nearby.

I'm an Indy native, so this is all from my wife, but she did her high school years in Vigo/Vermillion county and does not like it at all, but likes Clinton a little better than TH.

As usual it's what you make of the situation or put the effort into it. THaute like many of the mid size Indiana towns has had hard economic times so much of the industry moved out during the 80s. Along with that alot of the entertainment stopped coming to town when that happened.

However, it seems they are really trying to get it together and make Terre Haute fun again. They are concentrating on becoming a little more worldly with some great art being placed around town. Some smaller clubs are begining to bring in some neat entertainment at an affordable price, and they are pushing to become more of a college town.

Pricing on homes is reasonable, but a little higher for the same house you can find in and around indy (lack of competition in the home market).

Here are a few events taking place in THaute this weekend. You've got the Blues fest, a Cuban concert, or racing to check out. Actully for a town of 56,000 not too bad.

www.bluesatthecrossroads.com
    www.rose-hulman.edu/hatfield
    www.theactiontrack.com
    www.tribstar.com
    www.indianatheater.com

If you like comedy on the cheap www.mulliganssportsbar.net usually has some of the middle tier comedians every month. Price tag is $8 bucks pre-date and $10 day of the show. Most of these guys are known to be on Bob and Tom. Here is a list since around May. Tommy Johnagin (was runner up on this years NBC's Last Comic Standing), Tim Cavanagh, Auggie Smith, Sean Morey, and Dan St. Paul.

And finally.....you're only an hour away from Indy.
    Last edited by RWB; 09-09-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Terre Haute is a creative hotbed with its own distinct sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    If you don't mind a half hour commute every morning, my wife is from Clinton, IN, and it seems like a really nice small town. It was founded by Chicago mobsters as their home away from home,
    Grew up there and actually looked at one of Capone's old places. The basement had two false walls that you could push and go into hidden rooms. What was really freaky was a very tiny room in the basement that had a drain and these dark stains all over the floor. Supposedly this was the salami making room or as the realtor said (I hope so).
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Terre Haute is a creative hotbed with its own distinct sound.
    And smell too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

I thought Steve Martin blew up Terre Haute?
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    And smell too!
    They just announced yesterday they are closing Tangent (railroad tie and creasote plant) in November. Comercial Solvents closed many years ago and the other stinky plant was Tangent. Guess THaute is going to smell better, but the economy around here still smells like *****.

Mood

But the feed plants and the sewage facility will still be open right there right? That place that makes horse feed, that stuff stinks too. I worked there for a short time. Some poor horse somewhere ate a ground up pair of my eye glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Some poor horse somewhere ate a ground up pair of my eye glasses.
    Suspect your glasses probably didn't have the same protein factor as the GIANT RATS I'm sure that got mixed in as well.

I ended up finding a really nice duplex on the eastside of TH...I am pleased.
    LoneGranger33 said

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I ended up finding a really nice duplex on the eastside of TH...I am pleased.

That is good to hear, Brian. Welcome home.

There are nice neighborhoods in every town. Except Danville. And Brownsburg.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And Gary...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods