Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

  1. #26

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he needs to quit smoking pot, and announce publicly that he is quitting smoking pot.

    I'd rather Larry Bird announce he's quitting Brandon Rush.

    I don't expect that to happen, and I don't expect any other posters to agree. But that is what I would like to see. I don't really care what Brandon does hereafter.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Parachromis HC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hartford City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,802
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather Larry Bird announce he's quitting Brandon Rush.

    I don't expect that to happen, and I don't expect any other posters to agree. But that is what I would like to see. I don't really care what Brandon does hereafter.
    I have to agree with you to an extent. How many of you have been given this many chances, and walked away with your jobs? Just because he can play basketball does not give him a free pass to be ignorant. He needs to be held accountable, moreso than sitting out for five games. What is that going to solve? To me it is just another slap on the wrist. Why continue to enable him? I don't care if he gets high or not personally, but it is the law. The average person suffers serious consequences for marijuana, and so should he. Furthermore, as another poster stated, even if it was legal the NBA would ban it. All I see here from Brandon is a ongoing cycle of not caring about the rules or the consequences of breaking them. In my eyes Brandon has shown a complete lack of respect or awareness in matters pertaining to the association, the Pacers, and us the fans.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

  4. #28
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,188

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you don't think he should quit smoking pot? It's illegal. It's against NBA rules. Is this how most people on this forum feel?

    If he really wants to quit and honestly admit he has a problem with it then, yes he should
    announce it publicly. I he just wants to avoid failing tests then I don't want to hear anything.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  5. #29
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,188

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    And then release him at the end of the year or trade him if his play and decision making
    ramain impaired.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  6. #30
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,062

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    No, because he will look like an even bigger dumbass when he fails his fourth drug test.

  7. #31
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,263
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    [cough, cough]Dudes, I am here today to anounce that I, Brandon Rush, has...uh...uh...what was I talking about?!"

  8. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    I rather he announce that he is going to be more aggressive offensively.

  9. #33
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    Maybe quitting pot would help with that

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  11. #34
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    Holy crap our past troubles have some ready to dump anyone over anything. Don't look at a camera funny Granger! You'll be next!

    Can you say overboard?

  12. #35

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Holy crap our past troubles have some ready to dump anyone over anything. Don't look at a camera funny Granger! You'll be next!

    Can you say overboard?
    The high level of criticism is reserved for those who commit explicit crimes regardless of whether fans think they are crimes or not as in the case of Rush..And if Rush had simply smartened up the first or second time he would not be receiving this criticism.

    So Danny is in no trouble. Not to worry.

  13. #36
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,136

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Holy crap our past troubles have some ready to dump anyone over anything. Don't look at a camera funny Granger! You'll be next!

    Can you say overboard?
    I would have to say, yes, I think purging Rush is probably going overboard. Should he stop smoking? Yes. Does it hurt his game? I think so. However, he's still good enough to make it worth the baby sitting fees since he doesn't do other stupid things we've seen in the past.

    At the same time, I think the Pacers should put him on the block. No hurry to trade him, but if you can replace him with a player of equal talent who does not have this particular issue, you do it.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  15. #37
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    Yes he should apologize, yes he should quit his use altogether, yes he should admit he was wrong to smoke the stuff to begin with.

    Can't really say much else without getting into areas we don't dicsuss in this forum.

  16. #38
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    I don't care about the legality of it. Since all of the marijuanna advocates tell us its not chemically addicting and that he/ they/ anyone can quit at any time... and since there are rules prohibiting NBA players from using it -- but only during the season and not during the offseason... then the message here is that he'd prefer to smoke dope than be eligible to help his team. It can't be the drug's fault, so its all on the user. Like everything that involves marijuanna, 100% of the blame goes the self-centered user not the substance itself.

    He doesn't us the fans an apology. He owes his team and teammates an apology. He owes it to them to quit using, so that he doesn't risk letting them down again.

    This is obviously the first time the Pacers were made aware (although they might have suspected his use), so I can understand if they let him back into the lineup when his suspension ends. Its the "next" time - now that his employer knows and even worse, the public knows, how little he respects his teammates - that's a big deal. If he gets in trouble for this again, he should be banished to the end of the bench. Something that the Pacers have gotten pretty good at doing.

    Let's see how he responds.

    Chris Mullin was drinking himself to oblivion and got help from himself and had a long, productive career.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  17. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  18. #39
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,813

    Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

    I was just trying to react to the aurgument saying its wrong because its illegal. For his own financial security it is not a good or smart thing for him to be smoking. I am just a person who thinks right and wrong have a higher meaning than legal illegal. Laws are created by politicians who typically care nothing for the well being of society only there personal interest. In perfect world laws would trully be meant to protect the people and they would then not need to fear the badge or red and blues. In reality laws are about control and money (research who fought to make it illegal in the first place 60 years ago or so).What Brandon is doing is, however, bad business and hurts our team. If he wasn't a member of the pacers his smoking would be none of our business. Since he is, and it hurts our team, it is very disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I call shenanigans and internet legends on many of the alleged 'laws' at that site.

    There might be some weird ordinances in some towns that need appealed but show me the Indiana Code for these alleged 'state laws'.

    Even if they did exist (which they don't), how many would stand up to Constitutional review? And besides that, they are supposedly no longer enforced... which creates a problem with the premise that they suddenly absolve Brandon Rush of any wrong-doing.

    First, there is no question of Constitutionality here. The NBA can clearly ban pot and there are laws against its use as well.

    That said, laws evolve over the years and maybe one day pot won't be illegal. But today it is. And even if it was legalized the NBA could still ban it.

    Whether Brandon needs to give up pot for his own good is a question I can't answer. Being an athlete and getting busted for dope 3 times doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he doesn't have a substance abuse problem and NEEDS to walk away from it. He knows it's off-limits, can hurt his long term career if caught, can hurt his short-term career (and wallet) if caught... and yet he was caught using 3 times. That doesn't sound like a recreational user that can take it or leave it and can save his tokes for the off season.

    But I don't think he needs to make a big deal out of this for us and proclaim he's going lay off it... instead he needs to do it for himself.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 06:58 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 09:33 AM
  3. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 04:12 PM
  4. Remember the Name: Brandon Rush
    By rocksballer58 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
  5. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •