Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

We haven't heard a peep from Brandon publicly.

I think he needs to quit smoking pot, and announce publicly that he is quitting smoking pot. An apology would also be nice.

Does anyone disagree with this?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

A public apology would be a good idea, but to publicly announce he's giving up pot?

It's a terrible idea. I'd actually respect him less if he did this.

I'm not saying he should go on record saying he won't give it up, but come on now. That's going way overboard and nobody's going to see it as genuine.

Just stop smoking during the periods where they test for it. Everybody wins. No need for a big grandiose morality play to get on the public's good side, and making promises you aren't going to keep.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-05-2010 at 08:29 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he's not stopping then no he should not come out and say he sorry for smoking pot. Maybe something like "I'm sory I was caught smoking pot."
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He shouldn't apologize for smoking it in the first place. He should apologize for letting his team down, and thus his fanbase.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He should privately apologize to his teamates. As far as the public is concerned, I think the less noise that is made out of this, the better.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd settle for him not failing any more drug tests.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Just stop smoking during the periods where they test for it. Everybody wins. No need for a big grandiose morality play to get on the public's good side, and making promises you aren't going to keep.
    So you don't think he should quit smoking pot? It's illegal. It's against NBA rules. Is this how most people on this forum feel?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    So you don't think he should quit smoking pot? It's illegal. It's against NBA rules. Is this how most people on this forum feel?

See Brandon rush thread.

Would yu really want him to be a lair as well?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes...or that's at least how I feel. I really don't find it to be a big deal at all - as long as it doesn't lead to any more prolonged suspensions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sobchak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post

Would yu really want him to be a lair as well?

WHO is this Yu guy , and WHY would he want brandon to be in a lair?

hehehe..... sorry ..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

I think he should apologize to the team and fans for hurting the team. Pot should be legalized and I find it ridiculous that it's not, but rules is rules. I would say that the majority of rich and famous people enjoy pot every now and then. They have nothing to fear but a possible fine. So if a pro athlete smokes it, it doesn't distress me or surprise me. Just follow the rules.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

I think he should quit smoking pot for a variety of reasons...one because it supports criminal enterprise. I'm not saying I support or do not support legalization. That's for another thread. Other reasons include: I think it a) may take needed focus away from his preparation and b) may actually impact his game on the court and c) might have some impact on his health. Some of these issues may be very minor I know, but I think at least a couple take away from his potential.

Otherwise, I think he should apologize for his lack of commitment to the team, but not say anything to the public. I think the public might be owed some apology, but I don't think there's much real value in doing that...and I think it is more likely to hurt him in the eyes of the public...a group of people that probably will not notice he's been suspended.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

He should apologize to his teammates certainly, not for smoking pot in general, but for doing it in such a way as to become suspended.

He really does not owe the public an apology imo, certainly not for smoking weed in the first place. Perhaps an apolgy along the lines of letting down his team and transitively his fanbase. It really isn't neccesary or a good idea to pledge to stop smoking pot altogether.

1. It would absolutely bury him if he ever got caught again.
    2. It wouldn't come off as genuine, the guy has already got caught enough and the public wouldn't even know about it otherwise, he should just let his actions do the talking.

He should quit smoking pot. What has it gotten him. Supended 5 days and making himself look like an jerk. It is illegal to smoke it, who is to say he won't get arrested for having weed in the car or something like that. If you don't quit when you have already tested positive twice, then you have a problem. I know most people think Marijuana is not addictive, but of he have an addictive personallity then you can become addictive to a lot of stuff, Marijuana being one of them. If the NBA only tests him during the season, which I would think not that he has been busted 3 times, they should be able to test him whenever they want to. The road he is going down it looks like it is going to get worse for him not better.

I think by reading number 6 on the NBA and NBAPA Anitdrug Program, I think they can test him whenever the want to, or the treatment facility can.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sp...all/index.html

6. Treatment

Any player that enters the program must comply with the in-patient and aftercare ordered by the Medical Director, including, but not limited to, random testing for prohibited substances and alcohol. If a player seeks treatment outside the program, he may be required to be tested without notice.

Now about announcing it or not, I could care less just quit and never test positive for it again.

Brains of the Operation.

No need to apologize....this positive test was simply due to underachieving athlete syndrome....he didn't actually smoke pot. Write that down....it is similar to Brian Cushing syndrome, but opposite.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlerichard54 For This Useful Post:

We haven't heard a peep from Brandon publicly.

I think he needs to quit smoking pot, and announce publicly that he is quitting smoking pot. An apology would also be nice.

Does anyone disagree with this?
    Actually, we have "heard" something from Rush, via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/IamThaKing25

pacerhowell317: @IamThaKing25 Dude Please dont give this team a bad image! We arent thugs! Act like you care! Pacers have Passion and Pride for the game!!

IamThaKing25: @pacerhowell317 I care. Just made a few mistakes n my life n that was a big one. I just hope ppl can get passed it.

pacerhowell317: @IamThaKing25 Ur still cool in my book I just dont want this to team 2 go back to those days. Our friend Lance Stephenson needs to learn too

IamThaKing25: @pacerhowell317 thanks, man. Good to hear that from a pacer fan
    Notice he doesn't say that he's done. Totally a frustrating one for me... as the kid has got natural skills.

He need not to do a public apology. It will just be another media distraction. What he needs to do is just stop using it, talk to Bird and company and to the whole team and apologize, and just use the remaining time in the offseason improving his play and conditioning, just like Roy, George, Hans, AJ and Danny.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It wasn't as big of a deal as when he was arrested in college for driving drunk, but he should at least say he'll try and quit smoking in front Bird and/or his teammates.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

I don't think Brandon should announce he is quitting. I know at least I wouldn't believe him if he said that.

I understand that players will smoke pot among other things. That in itself really doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the getting caught thing. From what I understand had he just waited until after April he wouldn't have got caught 3 times, correct?

And getting caught 3 times is like saying he doesn't care. Which he probably doesn't and that's too bad. It's sad because I think most people on here care more about the Pacers than some of the players. Since 2004 this crap hasn't stopped it seems like. I wish these players cared half as much about the Pacers, their career, as the posters on here do. Show some appreciation for your gifts and some understanding that this crap has gotten old.

http://www.bitoffun.com/stupid_laws_indiana.htm

Sorry but as long as taking a bath in the winter is illegal, and a 17 year old going barefoot in an 18 year olds car are illegal the "because its illegal argument is bunk." I am sure you do one of the things on this list. Ever stand in a bar?

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    http://www.bitoffun.com/stupid_laws_indiana.htm

Sorry but as long as taking a bath in the winter is illegal, and a 17 year old going barefoot in an 18 year olds car are illegal the "because its illegal argument is bunk." I am sure you do one of the things on this list. Ever stand in a bar?
    I call shenanigans and internet legends on many of the alleged 'laws' at that site.

There might be some weird ordinances in some towns that need appealed but show me the Indiana Code for these alleged 'state laws'.

Even if they did exist (which they don't), how many would stand up to Constitutional review? And besides that, they are supposedly no longer enforced... which creates a problem with the premise that they suddenly absolve Brandon Rush of any wrong-doing.

First, there is no question of Constitutionality here. The NBA can clearly ban pot and there are laws against its use as well.

That said, laws evolve over the years and maybe one day pot won't be illegal. But today it is. And even if it was legalized the NBA could still ban it.

Whether Brandon needs to give up pot for his own good is a question I can't answer. Being an athlete and getting busted for dope 3 times doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he doesn't have a substance abuse problem and NEEDS to walk away from it. He knows it's off-limits, can hurt his long term career if caught, can hurt his short-term career (and wallet) if caught... and yet he was caught using 3 times. That doesn't sound like a recreational user that can take it or leave it and can save his tokes for the off season.

But I don't think he needs to make a big deal out of this for us and proclaim he's going lay off it... instead he needs to do it for himself.
    Last edited by Bball; 09-06-2010 at 04:01 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Why are you guys upset with Brandon failing the drug test if you don't believe he needs to stop using drugs?

Isn't "the right thing" to stop using drugs? If you are not upset with him for failing to do the right thing, are you merely upset that he was not clever enough in the way he went about using drugs?

Doesn't that just blur everything? How can there be a standard when it is only based on what is deemed clever or not clever? Isn't being illegal or against NBA rules a better standard?

Mood

1. Announcing an apology just brings more media attention we don't need.

2. If he failed again after apologizing it would just make the pacers worse.

3. There is no "right" or "wrong", many people question why it is illegal, and many many many NBA players smoke from time to time, likely even "high" character guys we know and love, we don't have a problem with them smoking if it doesn't effect their games, or lead to suspensions.

4. Brandon is no different, most people don't care what he does in his free time, tons of people smoke pot, presidents have smoked pot, it realy isn't that big of a deal.

5. Essentially people have a bigger problem with brandon being dumb enough to be caught 3 times when he knows that the team has every right to test him randomly during the season.

This is not to say that there aren't other reasons why brandon shouldn't quit pot personally, and it is perhaps indicative of a systematic problem if he cannot stop long enough to stop getting caught this much, but the actual act is less important than the punishment that is detrimental to the team.

If everyone else can avoid getting caught why can't Brandon? That is the bigger issue, and a better argument for why he should stop in this context than some moral diatribe against the substance itself.

Brandon should apologize to his teammates and fans for letting them down. He shouldn't smoke pot again while he's in the NBA because this is part of the rules of the NBA and it has a negative impact on the team when he's suspended. You except rules with any employer just as you do a dress code. I don't think there is a moral issue beyond this.
    It is a violation of Federal law for now but that doesn't make it wrong. It's an issue that is changing yearly with 14 states having medical marijuana laws. Where I live in Colorado several large counties have gone farther and decriminalized it, and the state generates a lot of tax revenue from the dispensaries. It's only a matter of time before the federal government acts similarly and goes after this huge tax engine waiting in the wings.