Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 102

Thread: Lance not allowed in Conseco

  1. #26
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He said that he's being restricted by team physicians, and believes he could go more full out if unbridled... and seemed eager to get his career back on track.
    .... and that is why he's restricted. He doesn't know how to half *** it. If he got back out there he'd be going wild with absolutely nothing for the team to gain from it. The only end result of such an action would be a bad one, or a neutral one. No reason to risk it.

    Makes me hopeful that he feels like he's able to do it though. That would imply to me that most (or hopefully all) of his symptoms are gone.

  2. #27
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,147

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Ok... I looked it up... We bought Tinsley out a week or so before the hearing thus rendering the hearing unnecessary (and so there was no decision). David Aldridge reported at the time:
    Pacers will give Tinsley approximately $11 million of the $14.7 million that remained on his deal.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  3. #28

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .... and that is why he's restricted. He doesn't know how to half *** it. If he got back out there he'd be going wild with absolutely nothing for the team to gain from it. The only end result of such an action would be a bad one, or a neutral one. No reason to risk it.

    Makes me hopeful that he feels like he's able to do it though. That would imply to me that most (or hopefully all) of his symptoms are gone.
    That, and apparently he's flying. Not sure how vertigo works on airplanes, but my guess is he couldn't fly if it affected him.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  5. #29

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    I wonder if there is any chance Lance gets a deal (perhaps paying the woman a few 100K) so that the charge is reduced to a misdemeanor resulting in public service and a fine or maybe 30 days in home (or gym) arrest? Has it gone too far for that? I forgot to get my law degree 40 years ago.

  6. #30
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if there is any chance Lance gets a deal (perhaps paying the woman a few 100K) so that the charge is reduced to a misdemeanor resulting in public service and a fine or maybe 30 days in home (or gym) arrest? Has it gone too far for that? I forgot to get my law degree 40 years ago.
    I keep thinking that ultimately the charges will be dropped altogether. I'm not saying that they should be or that I'm pulling for that to happen. I just think that's where this is heading and Lance will be back on the team before the preseason is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  7. #31
    Get well PG! DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,037

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    I, for one, still would like to see Lance Stephenson in action for the Pacers and hope that he has learned from this that he can't put himself in bad situations. I'm no judge so I can't convict him or throw him in jail, but as a fan I can hope for the best and root him on to success if he is proven innocent. I feel Larry is doing the right thing by keeping him away from the team at the moment so that there are no distractions, and to let the other rooks/new players gel with the team before having to deal with Lance's problems.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:


  9. #32
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,147

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if there is any chance Lance gets a deal (perhaps paying the woman a few 100K) so that the charge is reduced to a misdemeanor resulting in public service and a fine or maybe 30 days in home (or gym) arrest? Has it gone too far for that? I forgot to get my law degree 40 years ago.
    Lance might pay her some number under the table if she agrees not to cooperate with investigators and the prosecutor... which would force their hand to go forward without the victim's co-operation (making a conviction more difficult). Which would put the state in the position of deciding if that was worth it versus offering some type of lesser charge in a plea agreement hoping to get something versus working hard and getting nothing... or dropping the charges altogether. And I suppose a deferment is always a possibility in that scenario...

    Any deal where Lance pays his girlfriend will not be a deal negotiated through the prosecutor's office or even negotiated above the table.

    And she may feel she can pursue the criminal charges and then sue civilly and 'put him where he belongs' AND collect a check... so she might not be inclined to accept an apology and check under the table and let him escape justice...

    Or she might decide she loves him and doesn't want to see him go to jail...

    The police do not need the victim to pursue charges, but it gets way more difficult to try a case under those circumstances...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  10. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    12
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I keep thinking that ultimately the charges will be dropped altogether. I'm not saying that they should be or that I'm pulling for that to happen. I just think that's where this is heading and Lance will be back on the team before the preseason is over.

    I agree. It seems like more often than not you have this scenario play out regardless of what might be right or wrong. Bottom line is that unless this guy gets tossed in jail or some other "guilty" action then he will be on the team. It's hard to punish a guy when things go like that.

    But, if this doesn't play out with reduced or no charges then I think life goes on until he does something that gives the pacers a good legal reason to release him.

  11. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think so

    If he is proven not guilty then what leagl right would they have to "bannish" him

    Players union would step in, we would lose just like we lost the Tinsley arbitration
    That case never went to arbitration.........

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  13. #35
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,684

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think so

    If he is proven not guilty then what leagl right would they have to "bannish" him

    Players union would step in, we would lose just like we lost the Tinsley arbitration
    I guess I'm on your "ignore" list

    Read my post about this particular aspect:

    My guess is that they learned from the whole Tinsley lockout and that this type of issue was brought up as part of negotiation tactics on Tinsley's side. Lance is technically working out at a Pacers facilities....just not the main one that everyone else is working out at.
    From a legal perspective, technically....Lance is not "bannished" per se.....he is practicing and using A Pacer facility ( which I assume is something that is loosely spelled out in his contract )....he's just not allowed to practice at Conseco itself where everyone else would be practicing.
    Last edited by CableKC; 09-03-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  14. #36
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,612

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The trial won't be until the first of the year at the absolute earliest.
    Thats my point

    If he has been charged, but not been to trial , he is presumed innocent under the law

    I really dont think they can make a move until either a plea agreement is reached or he is found guilty or not guilty
    Sittin on top of the world!

  15. #37

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They have him [Lance Stephenson] quarantined so he doesn't contaminate the other rooks apparently...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If this is how it's going to be, they may as well just cut him.
    I don't know...I don't think you can cut a player who has a guaranteed contract unless he has been convicted of a infractions (crime) per league rules. But keeping him away from Conseco isn't a bad thing. It will certainly send a message to the rest of the team that if you screw up, you will suffer the consequences.

  16. #38
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,612

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    I guess I'm on your "ignore" list

    Why would you say that?

    You are one of the people here I enjoy conversing with

    In fact I dont even know how to "ignore" anyone

    Not the case my friend
    Sittin on top of the world!

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  18. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,624

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Admitting or being found guilty has nothing to do with the options the Pacers have. They can request waivers on him at anytime.

    Training camp opens a couple weeks before his first court date so when the Pacers start making the news again, his name will naturally get mentioned. Nothing about Lance & his situation will be positive for the Pacers. The longer he remains with the team the longer the negative press.

    I hope the dude gets his **** together just as much as anyone else. Bird has spent the better part of his time here clearing out the knuckleheads & attempting to clean up the image of the team. Allowing this punk to wear a Pacer uni would undo all the work that he has done.

    He should have been gone already.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:


  20. #40
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,684

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would you say that?

    You are one of the people here I enjoy conversing with

    In fact I dont even know how to "ignore" anyone

    Not the case my friend
    NP...j/k. As mentioned before.....IMHO...this isn't a true case of "bannishment". What's unfortunate, if not sad, is that our luck with Players is so bad that this isn't the first time that the FO had to resort to this. Bad stuff like this happens so often that the FO has a prepared script on what to do when we get hit by this bad PR stuff.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  22. #41
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,147

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I'm on your "ignore" list

    Read my post about this particular aspect:


    From a legal perspective, technically....Lance is not "bannished" per se.....he is practicing and using A Pacer facility ( which I assume is something that is loosely spelled out in his contract )....he's just not allowed to practice at Conseco itself where everyone else would be practicing.
    But you're assuming this 'pseudo' banishment is a banishment at all. It could have more to do with simply not wanting Lance photographed with the other players and/or not wanting any type of disruptions of this nature at practice for now.

    It may even be something entirely different that isn't even the Pacers' doing or idea but something that Lance's legal team wanted to help shield Lance from questions.

    Without more info I don't think anyone should assume this is any type of lesson learned from the Tinsley case. Both sides blinked BEFORE the hearing in the Tinsley case. And both sides got some relief ultimately as well.

    And let's not forget, the Pacers wanted to 100% banish Tinsley. They might not be so inclined for Lance...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  23. #42
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,085

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he's just not allowed to practice at Conseco itself where everyone else would be practicing.
    Yes, or . . . it may not be a mandate or order. They may have asked, and he agreed, given all the circumstances.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  25. #43

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Perhaps the FO is just trying to show that they are taking an active role in rehabilitating Lance and after all is said and done will give him a second chance. They are trying to show its not business as usual.

    All kinds of possibilities exist as mentioned on this thread but it is not impossible that he will be a pacer this year. They are going through a lot of trouble for a player some seem to think will be cut or traded.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:


  27. #44

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps the FO is just trying to show that they are taking an active role in rehabilitating Lance and after all is said and done will give him a second chance. They are trying to show its not business as usual.

    All kinds of possibilities exist as mentioned on this thread but it is not impossible that he will be a pacer this year. They are going through a lot of trouble for a player some seem to think will be cut or traded.
    No, not impossible. Depends on what comes out at trial -- if there is one. Then the Pacers can investigate and ask questions, and it depends on what comes out of that. I'm sure part of the reason Lance is quarantined is because if he talks to anyone -- Pacers brass, players, staff, whoever -- they can be called as a material witness. There's no way, NO WAY, they want any chance of that, so they're controlling the environment.

    The Pacers hate their rep with knuckleheads, but they also don't want a rep for making arbitrary, unfair judgments.

    So yeah, nobody knows. But if the allegations are believed by the Pacers, it's hard to imagine that Lance will stay on board.

  28. #45

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know...I don't think you can cut a player who has a guaranteed contract unless he has been convicted of a infractions (crime) per league rules. But keeping him away from Conseco isn't a bad thing. It will certainly send a message to the rest of the team that if you screw up, you will suffer the consequences.


    I've said this b4 that the Pacers can cut Stephenson to make a roster spot for Rolle. Cutting a 2nd rounder with a guaranteed contract was done with White, so a precedent has already been set. The Pacers don't have to give a reason why they cut Stephenson.

  29. #46

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Juice..*don't quite get why..* I like that they give the guy with the shortest name the nickname. :P

    You also don't want players getting into it with Lance. It's not going to shock me if there are some guys that are not happy with Lance in this situation, and it just might be better to keep him away from "the guys" unless he is proven innocent. (Which, that's going to be INCREDIBLY hard to prove.)

    I hope people aren't "hoping" Lance gets off easy so he can play basketball..because..there are some priorities there..

  30. #47
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,751

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Juice..*don't quite get why..* I like that they give the guy with the shortest name the nickname. :P

    You also don't want players getting into it with Lance. It's not going to shock me if there are some guys that are not happy with Lance in this situation, and it just might be better to keep him away from "the guys" unless he is proven innocent. (Which, that's going to be INCREDIBLY hard to prove.)

    I hope people aren't "hoping" Lance gets off easy so he can play basketball..because..there are some priorities there..
    hahah i think its kind of cute. AJ = apple juice = juice?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  31. #48

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hahah i think its kind of cute. AJ = apple juice = juice?
    oooo I get it now. Hahahah

  32. #49
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,598

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    Again, I just have a hard time thinking the Pacers would have him working with the assistant coaches right now if they had the intention to cut him. Nothing is going to change between now and his court date, which is after training camp opens, so it just doesn't add up.

    Why would you have your coaches spend time and effort on a guy, just to say "oh wait, just kidding. We're going to cut you now even though you haven't even gone to court."

    I imagine he still makes the team, guilty or not guilty. But that was his one strike. Next time, he's gone.

    Just my take on it. I could be wrong. I have been before

  33. #50
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,279

    Default Re: Lance not allowed in Conseco

    I don't think he will ever play a game for the Pacers. I think they are trying to a) keep the media at bay, b) help a troubled, young man and c) keep his skills warm for a trade.

    As for what happened, is there a denial? I would need to hear a whole lot of denying...including some from the Pacer organization...to not believe the basic story published.

Similar Threads

  1. wade ,rose, mayo, lance?
    By Pacers2012 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 04:55 PM
  2. Pacers face uncertain future at Conseco Fieldhouse
    By Brad8888 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 07:03 PM
  3. Conseco Fieldhouse Still #1 for Fans
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 02:27 PM
  4. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 07:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •