Thread: PACERS VIDEO: MMA training for Hibbert, George

Thumbs up PACERS VIDEO: MMA training for Hibbert, George

Pacers.com recently put up this video actually showing their workouts .. pretty cool ..

MODS.. if this has been posted before.. please merge threads.. didnt find any with this video .. THX!

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2010...100901-1404871

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep">
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: PACERS VIDEO: MMA training for Hibbert, George

Rookie of the Year and Most Improved.

I like it......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Mood

On a "do I worry about this guy off the court or not" level, I'm encouraged that Paul seems to be bonding with Roy.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    On a "do I worry about this guy off the court or not" level, I'm encouraged that Paul seems to be bonding with Roy.
    yea..let's make poor Roy babysit all of our rookies..every year..

You wanna know the difference between Roy Hibbert and David Harrison? Just watch the video. If David would have put 1/4 the effort that Roy has in becoming a better player David would still be in the NBA and not in China or wherever trying to make a team.

I am thrilled beyond words that Paul & Roy seemed to have bonded. If he emulates Roy's work ethic the sky is the limit for the youngster.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

It's good to see Roy and George working so hard in the off season.

Any kind of training that makes Randy Coulture look like a freak at age 47 is bound to do some good

Roy's a guy who makes his teammates better, natural leader. I think we'll see he's more and more a leader the more veteran he becomes. Really worth his weight in gold from that perspective, imo.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I do not know who recommend this type of training to big Roy. But IMO it is exactly what he needed, this is going to make him very very explosive and light on his feet. I am very anxious to see how it translates to the basketball court and most importantly his pick and roll defense.

I can just see the next time a little guard drives the lane and throws them in the sleeper hold while yelling out "CAN I GET A HOLLA HOLLA from my 55 Squad" lol

Now if we could only get him to download http://www.jumpmaunal.com and go through the program we might have a baby dwight howard lol.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Rookie of the Year and Most Improved.

I like it......
    I LOVED that part!

Roy has slimmed down so much that he should be a load for opposing centers to handle now. Most big guys make the mistake of putting on tons of weight and not working on developing lean muscle mass and it just makes them slow and more prone to injury. He should be modeling his game and physique after David Robinson and not Shaq.

Love Roy! Looking forward to a breakout season for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

I hope towards the end of the summer we'll get to see them sparring. I wonder how many other NBA players are trying out the MMA training.

just a few random thoughts
    Shaq does MMA too right?
    Remember the Magnum Rolle "project" vid on youtube that had him boxing? I wonder if Magnum ever trains with these two...
    follow me @KeifDye - lets talk Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watching this makes me wonder just how much more "tough" this team will be this year compared to years passed. Training like that is no joke and is bound to make anyone going through it a little more hard-nosed. Take this on top of the toughness we will hopefully be getting with Hansbrough coming back (video for emphasis ) and the passion of Darren plus the added work that everyone seems to be putting in, this team could look quite a bit different.
    Definitely a lot more heart. For the first time in several years I'm legitimately excited about the upcoming season.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan View Post
    Watching this makes me wonder just how much more "tough" this team will be this year compared to years passed. Training like that is no joke and is bound to make anyone going through it a little more hard-nosed. Take this on top of the toughness we will hopefully be getting with Hansbrough coming back (video for emphasis ) and the passion of Darren plus the added work that everyone seems to be putting in, this team could look quite a bit different.
    Definitely a lot more heart. For the first time in several years I'm legitimately excited about the upcoming season.
    Really awesome video! Makes me exited and concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Really awesome video! Makes me exited and concerned.
    Seriously, Psycho T could be like a young Foster with rabies and an exponentially superior offensive game. I just hope he can come back 100%.

I love Roy, can't say it enough! He has been working his tail off since the end of last season, and I look for him to take another big leap this year!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Seriously, Psycho T could be like a young Foster with rabies and an exponentially superior offensive game. I just hope he can come back 100%.
    I guess I just don't get the Foster comparison. Tyler is brute strength personified and we did nothing but complain about a young Foster for being a finesse defender who was super athletic. Jeff didn't use to get tough rebounds either and often times the complaint was that he was chasing down loose balls and they were counting as rebounds.

Now as Jeff has gotten older and lost his athleticism he has bulked up and now uses strength and leverage instead of quickness.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I guess I just don't get the Foster comparison. Tyler is brute strength personified and we did nothing but complain about a young Foster for being a finesse defender who was super athletic. Jeff didn't use to get tough rebounds either and often times the complaint was that he was chasing down loose balls and they were counting as rebounds.

Now as Jeff has gotten older and lost his athleticism he has bulked up and now uses strength and leverage instead of quickness.
    I'm basing my comparison off of "hustle plays" and the way both players are willing to sacrifice their bodies. My rabies reference was kind of an analogy to his brute strength.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watching the video of Roy and PG was great. The workout will obviously be great for each of them to improve core strength and stamina, and they'll be able to fight through defenders and take a hit without slowing down.

But, as many of you have mentioned, the best part about this is Roy taking PG under his wing a little and working with him and bonding with him. When PG was drafted, all we heard about was his friendship with Danny and that they both looked forward to working with each other. I'm sure they have, but seeing Roy taking the initiative and showing the rookie the ropes of the NBA, it's really great.

Danny is great, but I don't know if he does this stuff.
    JO was a great player for us, but did he ever take the rooks and do this?
    I don't even know if Reggie ever did this with the new guys (partly because in Reggie's prime, I was too young to really get into the behind-the-scenes stuff).

A growing sentiment around here is that Hungry Hungry Hibbert might be working his way to "face of the franchise" status, and I think it's right on target. As good as Danny is, on and off the court, Hibbs might be the more personable, marketable guy.

I can't decide if it's a good thing or bad that Roy didn't bring Lance along with him and PG to train...

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I was just thinking about Roy's twitter comment about Tyler looking like he's been lifting boulders. Have anyone seen a picture of the "bigger" Tyler, plus does anyone he maybe one the strongest players at the PF spot? It seems like current PF's are mostly "lean". My Karl Malone comparison is looking like it may come true for Hansbrough.

I agree with the previous posts...if the team is 100% healthy and given Hibbert's and George's offseason dedication, we could be a BIG time sleeper during the season.

Tylers strength is either going to do one of two thing.

1. His bulk will limit his speed and leaping ability making him a liability on defense and become a shot blockers dream on offense.

2. He will become the Juggernaut and as we all know nothing can stop the Juggernaut.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Jim O'Brien said he looked like the Hulk, and now Roy's saying he looks like he's been lifting boulders.

I don't know how different he'll look on camera, but I'd imagine it's impressive in person.

I know his arms looked huge the first time I saw him play live last year vs, I think, Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Jim O'Brien said he looked like the Hulk, and now Roy's saying he looks like he's been lifting boulders.

I don't know how different he'll look on camera, but I'd imagine it's impressive in person.

I know his arms looked huge the first time I saw him play live last year vs, I think, Washington.
    Seriously man go back and watch Imawhats reviews of Tyler and look at his size vs. the Golden State guys. Magette while a guard has always been a thick guard but he is just eclipsed by Tyler.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seriously man go back and watch Imawhats revies of Tyler and look at his size vs. the Golden State guys. Magette while a guard has always been a thick guard but he is just eclipsed by Tyler.
    I haven't watched imawhat's video, but this was the game where Tyler shocked me. I specifically remember that Corey Maggette couldn't stay in front of Tyler. Or didn't want to be in front of him. Tyler kept taking him off the dribble which thew me for a loop.

Tylers strength is either going to do one of two thing.

1. His bulk will limit his speed and leaping ability making him a liability on defense and become a shot blockers dream on offense.

2. He will become the Juggernaut and as we all know nothing can stop the Juggernaut.

Option 2, please.