Thread: Ok, Let's Say We're Finished

Default Ok, Let's Say We're Finished

We're done, this is it. Is everyone happy with this team the way it is? Are we in a better position to take it all than we were last year?

I understand that we had injuries last year which IMO don't think that it would have made much diference, But does anyone feel that we're in better shape this year than last with the team we have in tact now?

Burt_Reincarnated

Default Re: Ok, Let's Say We're Finished

I think we need another big guy, losing AL hurt this team.
    Can we really count on Bender? no, even if he somehow plays more than 40 games, he isn't a banger like AL.
    I've heard nothing but bad stuff about Harrison, but I have yet to see him in action, I dont think we can count on the Rook either.

JO and Jeff are awesome, but alone as the 2 bangers with Ron the next best banger on the team isn't gonna cut it. I'm not even including Pollard, but he might get alot of minutes out of neccesity, and that isn't neccesarily a good thing.

That's my take.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Burt said it all.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

If Ron continues to improve on the court, then yes.

I'm not sure if the "we're finished dealing" sentiment is a result of the Indy Star article or not, but I didn't get the impression after reading it that we're done necessarily. If Sacto decides it has to trade Peja, we'll be one of the first in line, I'm sure. And I expect us to do something about adding some post presence to this team, whether it's Dampier, Scott Williams, Marcus Fizer or whomever...
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think all we need is one more big guy.Even if we don't get a big guy I would say we still have a good chance to get over the hump.But we better not trade Ron!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Jerm

I have no doubt we will be a great team this season but I'm not sure we will be better then last year.

We lost one of our two post players when we traded Al for SJ and I don't feel SJ is the answer for our perimeter shooting woes.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/stephe....html?nav=page

Looking at those shooting percentages doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I mean, his FG% isn't horrible I guess.. but I'm not impressed overall. Granted, I haven't seen him play much so I still hope for the best.

As long as we don't trade Ron though, I think we will be contenders again.
    [edit=347=1092415977][/edit]

I think that we are a more balanced team right now. We aren't overloaded at any position. But we do need some size. One more person will do it, and we cannot rule Dampier out in this situation.

I do think that Austin will be able to play a better role this year than before, and he will really help us out more than some people might think.

And Ron will be fine. As long as he is here, we will be in good shape to getting to the Finals. I firmly believe if he is traded, we are no longer going to be able to beat Detroit to get to the Finals. But I don't think he is going anywhere.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Am I okay with us being done? Yep. In fact, I'd prefer it if we were.

If we do add anyone else, I firmly believe it's gonna be a training camp, Greg Foster type addition. Big body journeyman for emergency post work only.

Scott Williams would be cool, but I think that's a longshot. Marcus Fizer? Why would you want a black Austin Croshere when we've already got the original?
    [edit=67=1092420638][/edit]
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I okay with us being done? Yep. In fact, I'd prefer it if we were.

If we do add anyone else, I firmly believe it's gonna be a training camp, Greg Foster type addition. Big body journeyman for emergency post work only.

Scott Williams would be cool, but I think that's a longshot. Marcus Fizer? Why would you want a black Austin Croshere when we've already got the original?
    Well, I'm sure Bird wouldn't want one.

I worry the most about who is going to play PF when Jeff goes out and JO is playing center or who will we go to in the post when JO is out.

It will most likely be Cro and I know he did it with the 2000 fianls team but I still worry.

"They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We're not done until after Dampier is gone.

And, I'll go on record with a prediction.

I say we that Dampier will choose to sign with use to what is left of our MLE (about $2.4M - $2.5M) before he will choose to sign a contract with the Hawks for the full MLE for a single year.

In other words, if he doesn't sign with us, then he also hasn't signed with Atlanta.

"We lost one of our two post players when we traded Al for SJ and I don't feel SJ is the answer for our perimeter shooting woes."

You don't watch the Pacers alot do you. We have these two guys named Artest and O'Neal

"Looking at those shooting percentages doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I mean, his FG% isn't horrible I guess.. but I'm not impressed overall. Granted, I haven't seen him play much so I still hope for the best."

For the Pacers needs S-Jax>harrington

Quote Originally Posted by beast23

I say we that Dampier will choose to sign with use to what is left of our MLE (about $2.4M - $2.5M) before he will choose to sign a contract with the Hawks for the full MLE for a single year.

In other words, if he doesn't sign with us, then he also hasn't signed with Atlanta.
    I'm with you in that I think we have as good - if not better - of a chance signing Dampier as Atlanta, but keep in mind if he signs with Atlanta it wouldn't be for MLE money - they're offering around 6yrs/50M.

So, if a sign-and-trade can't be worked out between GS and either us, NY, or Memphis, then he'll be choosing between Atlanta's $ and no playoffs, or a one year deal with either a real shot at the title (w/ us), or a 1st/2nd round playoff exit (NY/Memphis).

Tough choice.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Burt_Reincarnated

What this team really needs is... Al Harrington maybe we can trade Pollard for him.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

You all know that I'd have fewer ulcers if a certain player that I believe is selfish; mentally weak when under pressure; disruptive to team chemisty; and ultimately hurts the team more than he helps the team (especially in the long run) would be traded.

But if not... on paper we still look pretty good. And I believe we'll be fine.*

Like many of you, I'd really like one more post player. And I'd like an outside shooter with a proven track record. SJax may be okay, or by the middle of next season we may be dreading the next 5.5 years.

I fear next season will be a funky transition period - we're halfway between a team designed in Isiah's image and a team designed in Larry's image. For the people that didn't want the team "blown up", you may get your wish. And we may all get a reminder of "be careful what you wish for, because it may come true..."

* unless we hit a rough spot or some unexpected adversity or play a bunch of high pressure games in a row, say in the ECFs.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Jerm

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    "We lost one of our two post players when we traded Al for SJ and I don't feel SJ is the answer for our perimeter shooting woes."

You don't watch the Pacers alot do you. We have these two guys named Artest and O'Neal

"Looking at those shooting percentages doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I mean, his FG% isn't horrible I guess.. but I'm not impressed overall. Granted, I haven't seen him play much so I still hope for the best."

For the Pacers needs S-Jax>harrington
    Actually, I only missed a couple of the games last season. Al and JO were our post game. I guess you could call Artest a post player but he is a small forward and plays alot of different roles on offense. But my point still stands that we lost some post presence.

As for the second part, I hope you are right but to beat Detroit I fully believe you need some lights out shooting from the perimeter.
    [edit=347=1092428450][/edit]

I'll go on record with another prediction:

If Dampier's available about ten teams with their full MLE will give him offers - including the Knicks.

I predict Dampier will not sign for half the MLE when there are several teams willing to give him the full meal deal. Isiah wants to get him for the 2-year MLE with the option to pay him big bucks afterwards to stay if he's still worth it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    You all know that I'd have fewer ulcers if a certain player that I believe is selfish; mentally weak when under pressure; disruptive to team chemisty; and ultimately hurts the team more than he helps the team (especially in the long run) would be traded.

I'm sorry,,,,I thought Al Harrington was already traded

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick

If Dampier's available about ten teams with their full MLE will give him offers - including the Knicks.

I predict Dampier will not sign for half the MLE when there are several teams willing to give him the full meal deal. Isiah wants to get him for the 2-year MLE with the option to pay him big bucks afterwards to stay if he's still worth it.

Great point, but if Damp has to come to the conclusion that he will only sign a one year contract, money is just a moot point in that situation. I think the the team he decides on signing with heavy depends on their projected success or prestige (or more than likely ptential payday next year).

P.S. I could care less if we get him or not.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned
    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick

Great point, but if Damp has to come to the conclusion that he will only sign a one year contract, money is just a moot point in that situation. I think the the team he decides on signing with heavy depends on their projected success or prestige (or more than likely ptential payday next year).

P.S. I could care less if we get him or not.
    We'll see if it holds up, but he was quoted saying that he really appreciated the interest Isiah showed in him, including inviting him to town and showing him around, introducing him to people, etc. I'd say we have a good shot.

BTW - Dampier the 8 million dollar man I can do with out. Dampier for the MLE for two years suits me just fine.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Basketball is a team game. Teams win basketball championships.

The Pacers are a basketball team.

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    The Pacers are a basketball team.
    Somebody give this man a gold star!
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222

I'm sorry,,,,I thought Al Harrington was already traded
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74