Thread: Anyone been to Rib Fest - Indianapolis, Labor Day weekend

Default Anyone been to Rib Fest - Indianapolis, Labor Day weekend

I have never been, but might be going this weekend. Concerned about price though. Mainly want to go to sample the ribs.

I know if you get there before 1 admission is free. But otherwise how expensive is it. They have 10 different makers of ribs. I would like to try all of them or at least 7 or 8. But don't want to spend $30 to do it.

Anyone ever been in the past 4 or 5 years

Default Re: Anyone been to Rib Fest - Indianapolis, Labor Day weekend

I've been every year since back when it was held in the Murat parking lot.

A few things.

1. It is expensive. There is just no other way around it however what they will tell you is that you are paying for the entire event with admission. Remember they have musical acts all weekend long and while you probably could care less about the music it does draw a huge crowd when they have bigger name acts.

2. Pig Foot, Sgt. Oink & Joey's Texas thunder BBQ are always good to eat but the best, at least in my opinion is our very own local Squealers.

3. If it's your first time I would probably just by the three bone sampler from each place. It is more expensive this way but if you want to try them all or at least a majority of them then this is the way to start.

4. If your there for the ribs or BBQ don't fall into the trap of buying other treats they have there. Beleive me fried oreo's and the fire roasted corn on the cob are out of this world but if you want to sampe the ribs go this route.

5. Go early if you can, yes you will save on the entrance fee that way. But you are not going to be able to eat each place for under $30.00

6. Wear lose fitting cloths.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6. Wear lose fitting cloths.
    Why?

The weather is supposed to be very nice Saturday and Sunday, a little warmer on Monday

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love it, but it's rediculously expensive.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Why?

The weather is supposed to be very nice Saturday and Sunday, a little warmer on Monday
    To make room for all the food you are going to eat DUH!

I have not found a good bbq palce in ages (granted I was spoiled with NC BBQ and some good ol GA bbq when I lived in Jacksonville). My favorite had to be this palce in Murfreesboro Tennessee, such big portions and AMAZING food

oops, yeah i see, loose clothes so I can eat a lot

Peck, I've been going since the Murat parking lot days, too. I finally quit going a few years ago. I would regularly embarrass myself. I'm a beast when it comes to BBQ. UB, I echo everything Peck said, including the comment about Squealers. Just my opinion, although I'm a "wet" ribs kinda guy, try to get the dry rub at different places when you can to get a better sense of how good the ribs are. You can always get a side of sauce.

On a side note, I gotta say I'm REALLY disappointed in the musical lineup this year. Not even close to the diversity of years past. Where's Morris Day and the Time? The Motown Revue? There seems to be a real good, old boy musical flavor to the Ribfest this year.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 09-01-2010 at 05:58 PM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I see one of the bands is Collective Soul this year. Take your earplugs. I like Collective Soul but, unless they've changed FOH engineers this summer, this guy is HORRIBLE. He brutalizes the band's sound and nobody in the big chair could think that it sounds good unless he has real problems with his ears. I rarely comment about the art of mixing and something that can be a subjective critique... But this guy has no business mixing live sound. He's that bad...

I have no idea how he can possibly keep that job...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sgt. Oinks was a HUGE dissapointment this year. Ribs were burnt, little meat and stringy.

BTW, the cost of everything has gone up again this year except admission. 3 tickets for corn on the cob which was horrid btw. Day 1 was not as good this year as normal.

I hope to make it over a couple more times before the weekend is over.

Texas Thunder's ribs on the other hand were out of this world good. The line for squealers was so long that I could not find the end of it so I have to hit them up another day.

BTW, the older I get the older everybody my age gets the more pathetic it is for me to see them dressed as though it were 1987 again. Ugh, Bret Michaels was on stage and the 40+ year old females that were dressed as though he were going to choose them to hit the road with was emberassing or depressing I can't make up my mind which. Actually it was both.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

My favorite BBQ place in Indy is Pa and Ma's, at 27th and Rader. I like it because it reminds me of a police standoff that happened near there while I was a cop-beat reporter circa 1983.

A guy comes into the neighborhood candy&cig shop demanding money, but the clerk hits the button and the cops respond before the robber gets out the door. So he's inside and within a few minutes the place is surrounded by police and reporters and people and it becomes a real Dog Day Afternoon situation though it was October.

The first officers who approach the door get fired at, so they back off. But then the guy inside won't answer any calls and the situation stays tense for several hours. Until long about 10:00pm the police storm the place to find nobody, and they figure out that the bad guy had escaped out the back in the first minutes of the siege, and that the shots had been the bullets from the gun going off in the stove where the bad guy had thrown it in order not to be caught committing armed robbery.

We ate Pa and Ma's that night waiting for something to happen, and ever after that was MY rib place even thought it wasn't exceptional in any other way.

The RibFest is kind of a funny event, isn't it? The food isn't the best, because, as Peck has pointed out, you can go to Squealers any day of the year. And the music isn't the best, unless there is an act that you really want to see under any conditions. I guess the best thing you can say for Indy RibFest is that it is the best rib fest in Indy.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Nerd.
    Mood

I agree with the notion that Squealer's is excellent. Mmmmm....so good, so tasty.

I ended up not going. Choose not to spend the money at this time.

Maybe will just a full rack of ribs from Squealers instead.

I ended up not going back. Combination of work and time.

However I will say this year I walk away dissapointed. The price has increased for the food to the point that is really almost to much even with the free entertainment.

Going to Squalers is a better idea anyway.

Mood

Any of you BBQ fans dig GT Souths?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Any of you BBQ fans dig GT Souths?
    Not as much as Squealers. Try the BBQ nachos. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .................