Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT - compared to other sports: NBA gets the highest % of its audience from young, from blacks and from hispanics

Default Re: OT - compared to other sports: NBA gets the highest % of its audience from young, from blacks and from hispanics

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they stick with their current form of commercials, and individualistic form of basketball yes. If they push a more team oriented approach (i.e. like every other major team sport) then they would be successful.
    Unfortunately, team sports don't exactly sell.

NASCAR, for example, people are fans of individual drivers.

The NFL absolutely markets the individual stars the same as the NBA, it sells.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: OT - compared to other sports: NBA gets the highest % of its audience from young, from blacks and from hispanics

I think you're looking at it a little more derogatory than I meant. Hip-hop yes, gangster no. If that makes sense.

Just like not all farmers are hicks. Although that's not an accurate analogy, because there is some overlap in the hip-hop/"gangster" demographic. Stern wants those corporate sponsors, so he goes for a clean image, which is a good marketing move.

However, the NBA specifically targets it's top demographic, which is young, urban and suburban American males. Has nothing to do with race, but in general, black males identify more with the image because they can identify with the stars and the image more. Speaking completely generally, not in absolutes.

The NBA is fantastic at marketing. They target the hip-hop subculture (which includes all races) which is predominately black and hispanic, which is why these numbers are higher.

Fantastic points, and I much appreciate your use of hip-hop vs gangsta. For those of us over 30 who can rememebr hip-hop back to the Eric B and Rakim days, it never used to be about being a "gangsta". It was more about culture, bragging and sometimes inspirng (think Grandmaster Flash "the Message")

I loved your respone
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by icebergin View Post
    NFL marketing would work, but NASCAR, and to some extent baseball, are a different demographic and it would be mostly a waste of marketing dollars.
    Yes but I applaud NASCAR as they have made aconcentrated effort to market towards young African Americans . I think Brad Daugherty had a big hand in that, till he hurt his back (kidding on the back)

I got to say I am really proud of the way this post has been handled. UB posted a potentially "drama starting thread"

instead all have had good posts and good commentary without any bickering back and forth

Kudos!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by icebergin View Post
    Unfortunately, team sports don't exactly sell.

NASCAR, for example, people are fans of individual drivers.

The NFL absolutely markets the individual stars the same as the NBA, it sells.
    Yes they market the individuals along side the teams, the NBA doesn't market the teams at all.

I don't think it is a coincidence that as the NBA form of basketball moved more and more away from team oriented basketball towards individual oriented basketball they have lost their appeal to the market they had in the 80's and 90's.