Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - compared to other sports: NBA gets the highest % of its audience from young, from blacks and from hispanics

Default OT - compared to other sports: NBA gets the highest % of its audience from young, from blacks and from hispanics

This thread is not meant to discuss race at all, just more of an FYI. Not sure if anyone else is interested in ratings, but I am.

Most of this is to be expected I assume, but the difference between the NBA draw to minorities and college basketball's draw is somewhat striking to me.

I think it is interesting to know who is watching what sports.

certainly the NFL gets more total viewers, but the NBA gets a greater % of its audience. NBA got 31% of its audience from blacks while the NCAA basketball chamopionship game only got 13%. I find that interesting

In order to read the chart at the bottom you'll need to click on the link

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010...d-in.html#more

Monday, August 30, 2010

Demo Reel: How Major Events Did In Several Demographics

Ratings for several recent marquee sporting events -- the 2009 World Series, 2010 NBA Finals, 2010 Bowl Championship Series, 2010 NCAA Final Four, 2010 Winter Olympics, and the NFL postseason -- in the key adults 18-49 demographic as well as the Hispanic and African American demographics.

Data is based on weekly primetime television ratings released by Nielsen, meaning that events that began during the afternoon -- including the Rose Bowl, the Michigan St./Butler National Semifinal, several NFL playoff games and the World Cup -- are not included.

Why these three demographics? Weekly ratings for the Hispanic and African American demographics are consistently made available by Nielsen, as are weekly ratings in the adults 18-49 demographic. Ratings for individual telecasts in other demographics are not as easily accessible.

Adults 18-49
    Not surprisingly, the Super Bowl topped the charts among adults 18-49, drawing a 38.6 rating and 50.820 million viewers. The demographic made up 48% of the audience for the game, on par with the three other primetime NFL playoff games this year (47% to 48%). The NFL games topped all other events measured -- except for the NBA Finals.

The NBA Finals had the largest proportion of adults 18-49, with the demographic accounting for 51% to 55% of the audience for each game. The series as a whole averaged a 7.3 rating and approximately 9.6 million viewers in the demo, topping the World Series (6.2, appx. 8.2 mil) and Winter Olympics (6.5, appx. 8.5 mil).

The NBA Finals also drew the single largest non-NFL audience in the demographic, as Game 7 scored an 11.4 rating and 15.036 million viewers (53% of the game's total audience). The second most-viewed non-NFL telecast was the BCS National Championship Game, which drew a 10.5 and 13.380 million in the demo (43% of the audience).

The Winter Olympics had the smallest proportion of adults 18-49, as the demographic made up approximately 35% of the audience for NBC's primetime telecasts. The Orange Bowl had the smallest single audience, with a 3.6 and 4.796 million (still 44% of the total audience).

African Americans
    Again, the Super Bowl topped the list, drawing a 43.8 and 11.242 million viewers in the demographic. However, African Americans made up only 11% of the audience for the Super Bowl -- the smallest of the four primetime playoff games (the other games ranged from 12% to 15%) and comparable to the BCS (11% for the four primetime games) and Final Four (12% for the two primetime games).

None of those events could compare to the NBA Finals. African Americans made up approximately 31% of the audience for the series, averaging just over 5.6 million viewers for the seven games. Game 7 drew a whopping 35.3 rating and 7.758 million viewers in the demo, and the series accounted for the seven largest non-NFL audiences in the demographic. By comparison, the NCAA Basketball National Championship Game averaged a 15.4 rating and 3.004 million in the demographic, just 13% of the audience.

On the flip side, African Americans made up a much smaller segment of the audience for the World Series and Winter Olympics. The demographic made up just 9% of the audience for the World Series, averaging less than 1.8 million viewers per game. Meanwhile, only three primetime Winter Olympics telecasts even made the weekly Top 25 in the African American demographic (one each week of the event) -- and for those telecasts, the demographic made up just 4% to 5% of the audience.

Hispanics
    The Super Bowl also topped the charts among Hispanics, averaging a 28.4 rating and 8.277 million viewers -- or 8% of the game's total audience. Hispanics made up 6% to 8% of the audience for the other three primetime NFL playoff games.

As in the Adults 18-49 and African American demographics, the NBA Finals had the largest proportion of Hispanic viewers. Hispanics made up 13% of the audience for the NBA Finals, averaging approximately 2.3 million viewers -- topping the World Series (appx. 2.1 million, 11% of the audience). Of the events examined, the NBA Finals, NFL postseason and World Series were the only ones where Hispanics made up at least 10% of the audience.

Hispanics made up just 6% of the audience for the BCS National Championship Game and just 4% of the audience for the NCAA Basketball National Championship Game. The latter drew just a 5.7 rating and 1.036 million in the demographic, well below any game of the NBA Finals or World Series -- and the Duke/West Virginia National Semifinal two nights earlier drew a remarkably low 2.7 and 493,000 in the demo (just 3% of the game's total audience).

Though Hispanics only made up 4% of the audience for the Winter Olympics, the primetime telecasts consistently finished among the ten highest rated English-language programs of the week in the demographic.

Conclusions
    Excluding the NFL, the NBA Finals averaged more young and minority viewers than any other event examined -- and a larger percent of those viewers as well. Based on the ratings, there would appear to be some cultural differences between the NBA and college basketball, as the two primetime NCAA Final Four games had fewer young/minority viewers and substantially smaller proportions of both.

The World Series outdrew the NBA Finals as a whole, but lagged behind in all three demographics examined -- even among Hispanics, who represent a larger percent of Major League Baseball players than NBA players.

The Winter Olympics was the only event measured in which adults 18-49 made up less than 40% of the average audience, and the only event in which both African Americans and Hispanics made up less than 10% of the audience. That said, the event still put up strong numbers overall.

Ratings/Viewership For Recent Marquee Sporting Events Among Adults 18-49, African Americans and Hispanics
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-30-2010 at 03:29 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: OT - compared to other sports: NBA gets the highest % of its audience from young, from blacks and from hispanics

If teams like Kentucky and Kansas made it to the Final Four, one might see more crossover of NBA fans who are interested in seeing who might be playing in the NBA the next year.

It'd be interesting to see how to rates change over the years.

Default Re: OT - compared to other sports: NBA gets the highest % of its audience from young, from blacks and from hispanics

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If teams like Kentucky and Kansas made it to the Final Four, one might see more crossover of NBA fans who are interested in seeing who might be playing in the NBA the next year.

It'd be interesting to see how to rates change over the years.
    That is an interesting point that I hadn't considered. Duke and Butler is probably a little less appealing to certain viewers. Although Duke vs Butler was a very highly rated game, so I doubt if it would make a huge dofference if it was KY vs KA
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-30-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Sports Logo

I would have been interested to see the World Cup included in this study.

(First post, might be only post, I prefer lurking)

This is largely because the NBA markets it's stars and culture towards the black/hip-hop culture than any of the other major sports.

And it's on purpose, IMO. I work in marketing, and I'm pretty certain that the NBA knows their demographic that they are marketing to; the hip-hop subculture.

From a marketing perspective, this is a fascinating topic.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to icebergin For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    I think in terms of US ratings, the NBA Finals still would've been higher than any 1 World Cup match, maybe the final game gets a bump over a couple of the Finals games.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    if you click on the link you and do a search you can see the ratings for the World Cup. I don't recall the specifics, but it had a greater % of younger viewers than the NBA. Overall viewers, I think the highest rated WC match was 15.5M and the NBA Finals game #7 had over 28M. But 15.5 Million is excellent

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010...saengland.html

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010...na-on-abc.html

Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-30-2010 at 04:13 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by icebergin View Post
    (First post, might be only post, I prefer lurking)

This is largely because the NBA markets it's stars and culture towards the black/hip-hop culture than any of the other major sports.

And it's on purpose, IMO. I work in marketing, and I'm pretty certain that the NBA knows their demographic that they are marketing to; the hip-hop subculture.

From a marketing perspective, this is a fascinating topic.
    Welcome aboard.

Taking your topic and going a little farther with it I want to ask a question I've asked before.

While it certainly is smart for the NBA to know its market and obviously direct marketing monety that way have they made the mistake of putting to many eggs in one basket so to speak.

I haven't taken the time to look at all of the charts but isn't it basically saying that while blacks and hispanics make up almost half of the demographics the other half is not?

If half of the people watching are not of the hip hop culture then why do they do so little to promote the product with their largest fan base?

This is a great topic btw and I hope to God we can keep this one from devolving into social commentary?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Taking your topic and going a little farther with it I want to ask a question I've asked before.

While it certainly is smart for the NBA to know its market and obviously direct marketing monety that way have they made the mistake of putting to many eggs in one basket so to speak.

I haven't taken the time to look at all of the charts but isn't it basically saying that while blacks and hispanics make up almost half of the demographics the other half is not?

If half of the people watching are not of the hip hop culture then why do they do so little to promote the product with their largest fan base?

This is a great topic btw and I hope to God we can keep this one from devolving into social commentary?
    Or we could have a place to discuss social commentary......but I digress

Welcome aboard, icebergin. I actually was thinking the same thing Peck was, so I hope you sneak out and post again.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I completley, respectfully, disagree

In fact I think it is the opposite, Stern has been trying to "clean up" the NBA image and increase coporate sponsorship. I think you will find that a lot of young african americans follow the NBA stars because a lot of the NBA stars grew up in the same enviornments, with the same likes as a lot of the young african american viewers
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    if you click on the link you and do a search you can see the ratings for the World Cup. I don't recall the specifics, but it had a greater % of younger viewers than the NBA. Overall viewers, I think the highest rated WC match was 15.5M and the NBA Finals game #7 had over 28M. But 15.5 Million is excellent

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010...saengland.html

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010...na-on-abc.html

From your links:

The combined ABC/Univision audience for USA/Ghana (19.4 mil) would rank as the 6th-largest audience*. (of sporting events in 2010)

*Excludes the NFL and primetime Olympic telecasts.
    Not bad.

Thank you for highlighting this information.

According to the below website, the World cup (England Vs USA) got 17million viewers when you take into consideration the fact it was played on ABC and Univision. Making it more watched than the first 4 NBA finals games. Were the NBA finals on other channels?

http://www.epltalk.com/england-usa-v...a-finals/20914

I have to say the World Cup numbers suprised me. I was not expecting them to be so high considering the times the games were played at. Was the England Vs USA game not at 3pm GMT and therfore early morning for America?

Apparently the British viewing figures for England vs USA were approx. 18.5 million. I think this shows Englands obsession with Football considering there are almost 6 times as many people in the USA as there are in the UK (one would also assume that a larger proportion of England watched the game, so that statistic is skewed by Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland).

On a side note, the best estimate FIFA could give for the number of viewers of the World Cup Final is 715.1 Million. Approx. 1 in 10 people world wide.
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/wor...really-is-the-

I think that is a very large number. Although, how reliable that is could be questioned. FIBA claim that 400 Million people World Wide play structured basketball, which sounds very high to me.
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post

In fact I think it is the opposite, Stern has been trying to "clean up" the NBA image and increase coporate sponsorship. I think you will find that a lot of young african americans follow the NBA stars because a lot of the NBA stars grew up in the same enviornments, with the same likes as a lot of the young african american viewers
    You can "clean up" a sport and still keep your target markets the same.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

White people also listen to rap music and hip hop culture, so I doubt they're alienating anyone.

In fact I think it is the opposite, Stern has been trying to "clean up" the NBA image and increase coporate sponsorship.
    Hip-hop isn't at odds with corporate sponsorship or a clean image. Plenty of big corporations use rap music in their ads and gear their products to a hip hop audience.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    White people also listen to rap music and hip hop culture, so I doubt they're alienating anyone.

Hip-hop isn't at odds with corporate sponsorship or a clean image. Plenty of big corporations use rap music in their ads and gear their products to a hip hop audience.
    Indeed they do. In fact probably a larger number of white people listen to hip hop then all others combined, however not a higher %.

Having said that though I still believe the NBA has made the mistake over the past decade of not reaching out to other demographics than just that of the hip/hop mindset.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Great point, in fact it is because white kids have listened to rap that allow these rappers to earn the kind of money they do
    Sittin on top of the world!

I think to suggest that marketing is the reason for this is garbage. Marketing might have some small marginal impact, but that is not the reason for the large differences.

I would love to see the income breakdowns

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm with you. I don't think the NBA's marketing department targets African-Americans more than any other other demographic. The NBA has a greater percentage of African-American athelete than any other sport. It's less about marketing and more about familiarity and culture.

Now if you were to say that video game franchises like NBA Live and NBA2k target the hip-hop culture, I'd agree with you. However, that's mainly the strategy of EA Sports and 2k Sports and not necessarily the NBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I'm with you. I don't think the NBA's marketing department targets African-Americans more than any other other demographic. The NBA has a greater percentage of African-American athelete than any other sport. It's less about marketing and more about familiarity and culture.

Now if you were to say that video game franchises like NBA Live and NBA2k target the hip-hop culture, I'd agree with you. However, that's mainly the strategy of EA Sports and 2k Sports and not necessarily the NBA.
    I agree with you. And I can certainly understand it when comparing the Winter Olympics vs the NBA. But I'm surprised the NBA is that much more than college basketball.

Watch NBA commercials, (especially for basketball shoes), clearly the NBA targets the hip-hop audience. I think you're looking at it a little more derogatory than I meant. Hip-hop yes, gangster no. If that makes sense.

Just like not all farmers are hicks. Although that's not an accurate analogy, because there is some overlap in the hip-hop/"gangster" demographic. Stern wants those corporate sponsors, so he goes for a clean image, which is a good marketing move.

However, the NBA specifically targets it's top demographic, which is young, urban and suburban American males. Has nothing to do with race, but in general, black males identify more with the image because they can identify with the stars and the image more. Speaking completely generally, not in absolutes.

The NBA is fantastic at marketing. They target the hip-hop subculture (which includes all races) which is predominately black and hispanic, which is why these numbers are higher.

Of course, it's also a chicken/egg paradigm. Does the NBA market to this demographic because that's who buys the product, or does the demographic buy the product because that's who the NBA markets to?

It's both.

It's tricky. You market the NBA professionally so that you can get all the markets. Predominately, it is not just the NBA and it's stars, but the products endorsed by the NBA that markets towards this group.

The short answer is; they do both.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post

And because of your first paragraph, the NBA markets to those demographics whether intentional or not.

And EA/2K market to those demographics because they'd be stupid not to. Two types of fans buy NBA games, basketball fans and casual fans. They don't need to market too much to get the basketball fans, but their casual fans are much more likely to come from the hip-hip subculture demographic than from other demographics.

In my statements, I was a painting with a big brush. I should have stated that I was also meaning to include NBA-endorsed products in the discussion. My mistake.

The NBA can't get out of its own way to promote the product. You remember seeing all these great NBA Commercial Campaigns over the last several years? Where Amazing Happens? Defense is in my Backbone, Knock it down, etc.. Where did you see those commercials. During NBA games! WTF? Why not advertise during Sunday NFL games, MLB games, Nascar even. I'm already watching, and going to the games.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    The NBA can't get out of its own way to promote the product. You remember seeing all these great NBA Commercial Campaigns over the last several years? Where Amazing Happens? Defense is in my Backbone, Knock it down, etc.. Where did you see those commercials. During NBA games! WTF? Why not advertise during Sunday NFL games, MLB games, Nascar even. I'm already watching, and going to the games.
    NFL marketing would work, but NASCAR, and to some extent baseball, are a different demographic and it would be mostly a waste of marketing dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by icebergin View Post
    NFL marketing would work, but NASCAR, and to some extent baseball, are a different demographic and it would be mostly a waste of marketing dollars.
    If they stick with their current form of commercials, and individualistic form of basketball yes. If they push a more team oriented approach (i.e. like every other major team sport) then they would be successful.