Thread: Rot in Hell Brighthouse - need your help dealing with Brighthouse

Default Rot in Hell Brighthouse - need your help dealing with Brighthouse

I think this qualifies, but if anyone thinks this isn't a big deal, I want to hear it.

I am a Brighhouse customer and have been for 3 years, have cable and internet.

Ok, so last Sunday all of a sudden my cable box starts acting up and after unplugging it and re-plugging I decide I better call, so I call and the guy tries to re-set, after about 20 minutes he says we need to send someone out. He looks at the schedule and says Saturday is the earliest someone can be out. I said Saturday really 6 days from now? OK, so we set a time for between 2-4.

I re-arrange my Saturday schedule to be home from 2-4, I wait, I wait and then when 4 rolls around I decide to call, after being on hold for 90 minutes. The guy says I am the last one on the list for today. He puts me on hold and supposedly calls the technician, comes back and tell me he will be there, almost done with last appt. I ask, is there a specific time at which he won't come, like it is is after 7 or 8. No the guy assures me he will be there.

So I change my early evening plans on Saturday night. At 7 I say he isn't coming, at 8 I know he isn't coming. Well he didn't show up, no phone call, no nothing. I have not heard from Brightouse at all yesterday or yet today.

OK, here is where I want your opinion. Ideally what I want is to get - is the most free stuff I can. I have other cable options or could go with U-Verse......but I would rather just stay with Brighthouse, but I want free stuff.

My plan is to call later today ask to speak with a supervisor, throw a big fuss, threaten to leave Brighthose or I'll stay for $120.00 off my current bill plus free NBA League Pass. I wonder if they would have less freedom to give NBA League pass away and maybe I should ask for more than $120.00 credit.

Anyone have any suggestions? What parts of my story should I play up, what stuff does a supervisor have more freedom to offer for free?
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-30-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rot in Hell Brighthouse - need your help dealing with Brighthouse

I have nothing to add, but good luck

I would think NBALP would be a reasonable request, but me personally the $150 seems kind of low. (Granted I am not sure what you pay per month, I know cable is a bit pricy here but we also just left Comcast and got FIOS)

I would definitely make them keep pushing you up the chain of command (normally the supervisor is not the highest, at least not in my experience deaing wtih CS call centers)

Lastly, be patient. I just filed a BBB complaint against Ashley's Furniture and their respective delivery company, but even after all that it still took quite some time for my issue to be resolved (and they did not do either thing I asked for, instead they came out and touched up my furniture, but that is a different story for another day)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I worked on getting this new house I just moved into since April. From there until the 16th I checked at&t's site religiously to see if I could get my U-verse moved to the new address. Until then it was no, then that Monday morning I checked and it was available.

I am so happy I got to stay with U-verse. No doubt in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I worked on getting this new house I just moved into since April. From there until the 16th I checked at&t's site religiously to see if I could get my U-verse moved to the new address. Until then it was no, then that Monday morning I checked and it was available.

I am so happy I got to stay with U-verse. No doubt in my mind.
    I would have switched to U-Verse a year ago, (or was it two years agop) but they don't have NBATV or NBA LP, so that rules them out for me.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I would have switched to U-Verse a year ago, (or was it two years agop) but they don't have NBATV or NBA LP, so that rules them out for me.
    I've lived just fine without those two channels...

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I've lived just fine without those two channels...
    that isn't possible

woman without a team

Good luck trying to get money off your bill. Whenever I pitched a fit to DirecTv all they ever gave me was 3 months of Showtime for free...which is why I switched to Dish.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I do love me some U-Verse.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

When you talk to BrightHouse, be a dick.

Well that didn't go as well as I hoped. First I explained the situation to the CSR, she transferred me to her suupervisor. He didn't really seem like he wanted to help or maybe he just didn't have the authority, and then when he told me that the soonest they could get a technician out was September 5th, I could not believe it.

The problem is I don't have a lot of choices. U-Verse doesn't have NBATV or NBALP, there is another local cable co that services the area, but they don't have NBATV or NBALP either and no Fox Sports HD. Dish and Directv isn't really practical in my situation. So I could get mad, switch services, but then punish myself and not have NBATV, NBALP - what good does that do me.

So my threats to leave are idle threats, and they didn't seem too concerned.

Bottomline Brighthouse is coming out tomorrow to fix what needs to be fixed and they are crediting my account $60.00 in addition to the $20 they credited it for missing the appt and the 10 days or so I have been without cable which should be another $40 I think

I ditched cable a while ago due to screw-ups like this. I use DirecTV now, and the few times they've made a mistake they've been quick to fix it and have given me credits, discounts, etc., to make it right. With them, it's important to get on the phone with customer retention.

Having said that, I think I'd switch to U-Verse if it were available. What drives me craxy is that apparently Duke lives in the Bloomington/Bedford area and gets it, and I live literally 2 miles from downtown and can't get it. I love the thought of being able to record 4 shows at once and having access to super fast internet. I guess what I'm saying is that if I were in your shoes, UB, I'd go get U-Verse and never look back. NBA LP isn't a big deal to me, I get enough NBA from watching the Pacers play. If it's that important to you, stay with your provider and get a big, fat discount or free stuff. Threaten to leave, but don't make any threats you're not willing to execute.

I warned you that Brighthouse's customer service is terrible.

After having Comcast for the last year, I've found that they haven't improved much in the last decade, either.

AT&T owns the crap out of both of them. Unfortunately, for some insane reason, their service in my area ends right across the street...in the same freaking neighborhood!

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I warned you that Brighthouse's customer service is terrible.

After having Comcast for the last year, I've found that they haven't improved much in the last decade, either.

AT&T owns the crap out of both of them. Unfortunately, for some insane reason, their service in my area ends right across the street...in the same freaking neighborhood!
    Comcast customer service is a JOKE!

I just moved to downtown Indy and unfortunately became a Brighthouse customer. The HD/DVR is fine, but the internet is DOWNRIGHT AWFUL. I think I would have faster internet if I went back to 1998 and used dial-up. I ordered the "turbo" package for an extra 15 or so a month but that has only made a marginal difference at best. A guy is coming this weekend to take a look at the router (it's a crummy NetGear one) and hopefully something can be done. Having sluggish internet in 2010 is downright inexcusable for any legitimate company. We are forking out like 144 bucks a month and might have to look at other options if something isn't done soon.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    I just moved to downtown Indy and unfortunately became a Brighthouse customer. The HD/DVR is fine, but the internet is DOWNRIGHT AWFUL. I think I would have faster internet if I went back to 1998 and used dial-up. I ordered the "turbo" package for an extra 15 or so a month but that has only made a marginal difference at best. A guy is coming this weekend to take a look at the router (it's a crummy NetGear one) and hopefully something can be done. Having sluggish internet in 2010 is downright inexcusable for any legitimate company. We are forking out like 144 bucks a month and might have to look at other options if something isn't done soon.
    Is the tech coming to look at the gateway or the router?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    I ditched cable a while ago due to screw-ups like this. I use DirecTV now, and the few times they've made a mistake they've been quick to fix it and have given me credits, discounts, etc., to make it right. With them, it's important to get on the phone with customer retention.

Having said that, I think I'd switch to U-Verse if it were available. What drives me craxy is that apparently Duke lives in the Bloomington/Bedford area and gets it, and I live literally 2 miles from downtown and can't get it. I love the thought of being able to record 4 shows at once and having access to super fast internet. I guess what I'm saying is that if I were in your shoes, UB, I'd go get U-Verse and never look back. NBA LP isn't a big deal to me, I get enough NBA from watching the Pacers play. If it's that important to you, stay with your provider and get a big, fat discount or free stuff. Threaten to leave, but don't make any threats you're not willing to execute.
    Yeah, I live 2 miles from "Downtown" Bedford. I have the new iNID service. I am capable of getting up to 61mbps downloads if I wanted to pay for it.

I love U-verse, DirecTV was great, but man is U-verse something else. The only thing I miss really is MLB Network (which is coming soon).

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Just be glad Hughesnet isn't your ISP.... Satellite internet sucks! Oversold. Overpriced. FAP too restrictive (especially considering the price structure). Painfully slow at times. But of course when it's that or dialup...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I've found Brighthouse internet service to be excellent

UB AT&T customer service is not much better. I experienced about the same thing you did with my Uverse. My guy was almost 4 hours late, but at least he showed up. I talked to a manager and got about the same reaction as you did.

The tech that came out a month ago was great and he was on time.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    UB AT&T customer service is not much better. I experienced about the same thing you did with my Uverse. My guy was almost 4 hours late, but at least he showed up. I talked to a manager and got about the same reaction as you did.

The tech that came out a month ago was great and he was on time.
    I've found that the techs who come out are fine, and I understand that some jobs can take a lot longer than scheduled, so I don't have a problem with that. But they should have communicated with me, told me he is running late, not sure if he can make it, instead of assuring me he'll be there soon.

Actually I am a very easy person to please, I'm not that picky, never cause much of a fuss, just be reasonable and honest and I'm good. And I never take my frustration out on the tech or service person - not their fault

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Just be glad Hughesnet isn't your ISP.... Satellite internet sucks! Oversold. Overpriced. FAP too restrictive (especially considering the price structure). Painfully slow at times. But of course when it's that or dialup...
    So you're the one hogging MY Hughesnet bandwidth, eh????

You're totally right, though, it does unquestionably suck especially after the 24 hour allotment is reached, especially when there are lots of windows updates. Once I exceed my 24 hour allotment, I believe dialup probably actually beats it in my case.