Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Real World Champion

Default The Real World Champion

No, Team USA isn't the favorite to win the gold. Spain won't have the Lakers' Pau Gasol, but it still has such proven NBA performers as the Grizzlies' Marc Gasol and the Blazers' Rudy Fernandez. Spain also boasts the young, dynamic point guard, Ricky Rubio, who one day is expected to join the Timberwolves, who made him their top pick in 2009. Argentina won't have the Spurs' Manu Ginobili, but still will feature Andres Nocioni of the Sixers; Carlos Delfino of the Bucks and the Rockets' Luis Scola. Then there is Brazil, with the Cavaliers' Anderson Varejao, the Raptors' Leandro Barbosa and Tiago Splitter, the Spurs' newest 7-footer.

It's not just the competition that presents problems for Krzyzewski's crew. As Americans, we might not take the World Championships as seriously as the Olympics, but we're in the minority.
    "As I learned when I played overseas years ago, the World Championships are bigger than the Olympics for most teams, and even the European Championships are a bigger deal," said Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, Krzyzewski's lead assistant who didn't travel with the team due to back problems. "Coach K addressed it the first day of camp. He told the guys, "Hey, the world champions aren't really the Los Angeles Lakers. It's whoever wins this tournament.' He's impressed on the players that half the world thinks we're pretty arrogant calling our NBA champions the world champions, when we haven't won it in so long."
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/t...-championships

So what do you guys think? Is the winner of the NBA playoffs the legitimate "World Champion"? Or is it the winner of the world championships?
    we will be known forever by the tracks we leave

Default Re: The Real World Champion

Maybe I am old fashion but the NBA champion is the world champion.

Lakers are in my mind the best team in the world by far
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-25-2010 at 04:29 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe I am old fashion but the NBA champion is the word champion.

You think the Laker team would beat Team USA?

EDIT: Let's assume identical matches could be made for Odom, so he could play with both.

Maybe I am old fashion but the NBA champion is the word champion.

Exactly. If they put the championship team from the NBA in the FIBA, I think that it would be total domination for the US.

The talent pool is really just that deep in the US. I'm confident the team we have assembled this year will win it all. Durant and Rose are going to massacare FIBA teams. I could see Granger hitting the highest 3 percentage in the whole tourney if he plays.

Having Coach K sure doesn't hurt either.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 08-25-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

EDIT: Let's assume identical matches could be made for Odom, so he could play with both.
    This US team, absolutely.

The real US team, no.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Lakers would not beat either incarnation of the USA team.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

which rules?

yes I think the Lakers would beat team USA. Unless team USA played a full NBA season, full playoffs, then maybe they would beat the lakers.

And some exhibition game where the lakers wouldn't care, doesn't count

I'd take the Lakers over Team USA or any team in the FIBAs. Lakers been together for over 100+ Games, they have the best player from USA and the best player from Spain. Also probably one of the best defenders in the world. Not to mention the best Coach ever.

which rules?

yes I think the Lakers would beat team USA. Unless team USA played a full NBA season, full playoffs, then maybe they would beat the lakers.

And some exhibition game where the lakers wouldn't care, doesn't count
    Huh? You think that LA would beat Team USA, unless they went through a NBA season, but you also want to throw out an exhibition game because the Lakers wouldn't care?

That kind of....contradicts each other, no?

Or are you saying that if LA could enter the World's they would win the tourney?

Huh? You think that LA would beat Team USA, unless they went through a NBA season, but you also want to throw out an exhibition game because the Lakers wouldn't care?

That kind of....contradicts each other, no?

Or are you saying that if LA could enter the World's they would win the tourney?
    They would Dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I'd take the Lakers over Team USA or any team in the FIBAs. Lakers been together for over 100+ Games, they have the best player from USA and the best player from Spain. Also probably one of the best defenders in the world. Not to mention the best Coach ever.
    And then after that they have a 40year old PG that would have to defend either Rose, Westbrook, Curry, or Billups and then when he went out his backup would have to guard them.

Pau might get his on the offensive end, but do you really see him stepping out and guarding Gay, Iggy, or Granger? How about Bynum guarding them?

Team USA presents more matchup problems, with starters not to mention backups that LA does.

Kobe and Pau better combine for 100+ points, because that's what it would take to beat Team USA or Team Spain for that matter.

Kobe would also have to slow down Durant and spend his energy there. Team USA just has too many weapons to really be challenged by a regular NBA team.

Geez guys, Team USA is basically an All-Star team. They've taken the best players from teams and put them on one. The only team that has the star power to match would be Miami, and they (LBJ, Wade, Bosh) would have to play all 48mins.

The NBA Champion is just that. The NBA champion. Toronto doesn't count as being "the world."

They would Dominate.
    Maybe against Puerto Rico. Ask Tim Duncan how dominant he was during the '04 Olympics.

Sorry, but his kind of attitude is exactly why we got our asses handed to us for these past couple of years.

"We're the NBA and we're the biggest baddest asses in the World" just doesn't cut it anymore. We can't just field a team together with NBA players and think we're just going to roll the competition.

This is 2010. Not the Worlds in Indy during 2002.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

And then after that they have a 40year old PG that would have to defend either Rose, Westbrook, Curry, or Billups and then when he went out his backup would have to guard them.

Pau might get his on the offensive end, but do you really see him stepping out and guarding Gay, Iggy, or Granger? How about Bynum guarding them?

Team USA presents more matchup problems, with starters not to mention backups that LA does.

Kobe and Pau better combine for 100+ points, because that's what it would take to beat Team USA or Team Spain for that matter.

Kobe would also have to slow down Durant and spend his energy there. Team USA just has too many weapons to really be challenged by a regular NBA team.

Geez guys, Team USA is basically an All-Star team. They've taken the best players from teams and put them on one. The only team that has the star power to match would be Miami, and they (LBJ, Wade, Bosh) would have to play all 48mins.

The NBA Champion is just that. The NBA champion. Toronto doesn't count as being "the world."
    Haha just reverse it and ask, is Gay or Iggy or Granger gonna be able to guard Gasol or Bynum? How do they rebound against 2 seven footers?

Ron Artest already proved that he can shut down Durant. So really the only real talent advantage Team USA would have is the at the PG. But you are talking about a one on one advantage. Lakers are great at team defense. They run an actual system, rather than give it up to who ever can go on on on.

Maybe against Puerto Rico. Ask Tim Duncan how dominant he was during the '04 Olympics.

Sorry, but his kind of attitude is exactly why we got our asses handed to us for these past couple of years.

"We're the NBA and we're the biggest baddest asses in the World" just doesn't cut it anymore. We can't just field a team together with NBA players and think we're just going to roll the competition.

This is 2010. Not the Worlds in Indy during 2002.
    Wrong the real reason we lost so badly in 2002, is that fact that they just threw a bunch of player out there with no regard for chemistry and team play. Its been said over and over. Most of the guys on these other national teams play with the national team for several years, some players been on the national team for over a decade. Thats the real advantage that Team USA always has to overcome, putting together a squad that is so talented that no Team can compete no matter how seasoned they are. So it only stands to say that if you just took the NBA champion from that year, you would have the best team in the world to complete with the national teams, and most likely you would dominate.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, I think any of the top 5 NBA teams could go to the Worlds or the Olympics and win the whole thing. Continuity and chemistry are both such huge advantages that a healthy team playing together for 6 months (or even 5-6 years) would absolutely tear other teams apart.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Honestly, I think any of the top 5 NBA teams could go to the Worlds or the Olympics and win the whole thing. Continuity and chemistry are both such huge advantages that a healthy team playing together for 6 months (or even 5-6 years) would absolutely tear other teams apart.
    I agree that chemistry is the most important thing. However, players from other countries DO have chemistry and continuity. Those teams stay together for years and are able to outplay teams with superior talent (example: The United States). Since the Dream Team the United States has always staged the team with the best individual playersbut it does not always mean they are the best team.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I think this is a real issue. A lot of the other teams in the world all go home to work together for their country team. The US players don't typically all get together and work on their games. This is why the structure of the new USA Basketball is immensely important for the US staying the most elite basketball country in the world. The Spanish, Greek, Lithuanian, Argentinian, Brazilian, French, Australian, etc. all bring their players to a central location in the off-season to work as their country's team. Their chemistry and continuity outclassed the US's by miles up until this past Olympics. With the current team, most of these guys have never played together before and it is obvious. There are a lot more isolations from US players, because they don't have experience with one another. And they are talented enough to play that brand of basketball. We are catching up to the rest of the world.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by mmpfm1 View Post
    I agree that chemistry is the most important thing. However, players from other countries DO have chemistry and continuity. Those teams stay together for years and are able to outplay teams with superior talent (example: The United States). Since the Dream Team the United States has always staged the team with the best individual playersbut it does not always mean they are the best team.
    Beat me to it!!!

You want to compare different things (apples with orranges). World championship is not the world basketball club championship. Of course, clubs are more prepared at the peak than 1-month-togeather national team. Top 4 euroleague teams would beat some 80% national teams. Or even maybe some EL teams could manage to beat all of the europe championship teams. But no one is calling euroleague winner - "europe champions"
    The world championship is about only national teams. It's about what team nation is able to send to the competition. No one restricts sending the whole Lakers team and let it prove to be world champions. If USA is unable to send its best club team, then it's not the world problem.
    And if this USA team wins gold, then this team actually will be the world champions and not the Lakerss. Or do you think Lakers should still get world champion title?
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

The winner of the world championships.

Quote Originally Posted by DeS View Post
    No one restricts sending the whole Lakers team and let it prove to be world champions.
    Pau Gasol probably wouldn't join the "Lakers" in the World Championships. He is from Spain. There are other foreign players on the Lakers also.

The Lakers would clean house with every FIBA team, and I don't think any game would be less than a double digit win.

Quote Originally Posted by mmpfm1 View Post
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/t...-championships

So what do you guys think? Is the winner of the NBA playoffs the legitimate "World Champion"? Or is it the winner of the world championships?
    When another pro league can make a case that they boast the best basketball players on the planet, they can make a case to call their best team the world champs.

Until then, it's just sour grapes.

Comparing a professional league with an international competition is so apples/oranges I'm not sure why anybody would even debate it. They can both be world champs.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-25-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Beat me to it!!!
    I beat all ya to it as I said the same thing many posts up. LOL.

Ron Artest already proved that he can shut down Durant.
    "shut down" to the tune of 25 and 8....

I've come to the conclusion that Durant is the greatest player in the world, if holding him to 25 and 8 means you're the best defender ever.