Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 78

Thread: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

  1. #26
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,945

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, you're correct there are a variety of ways to become homeless.

    However there's not a variety of ways that nobody on planet Earth is willing to help you to avoid staying that way.
    I'm not claiming you're sheltered because you're obviously not.

    Have you ever met anyone from a rough part of a big American city? Inner cities chew people up and spit them out. There is little concept of family or loyalty. You've got fathers who aren't around and mothers who will literally sell the food from their kids' mouths for their next fix. In this environment I think it's entirely conceivable that there will be people with no one to really help them out.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You must live in some bubble my man. Seriously, you have 0 clue of what you're talking about. People don't have to be "affluent" to have someone stay with them.

    I was raised dirt freaking poor, not even knowing where my next meal was going to come from sometimes when I got home from school. To the extent where my brother would bring home MRE's from his National Guard weekends, and sometimes that's all we would have. Seeing as how that's how I was raised, and who I was around, believe me I saw plenty of poor people letting other poor people move in with them to keep them from being homeless.

    My dad is a severe alcoholic (awake at 5, drunk by 6 .... AM), and at times a huge piece of **** ... to put it nicely. I let him move in with me at one point to help him out, then he had to go when he started letting crackheads in the house I was paying for. Then his other alcoholic friends let him live there. Then another friend a year later after he burned that bridge. They're ALL poor. They're all struggling, but they still help each other out when the situation calls for it.

    If my asshat father can find people to let him live there, I can't fathom how much of a complete .... (fill in the blank) you have to be to not have SOMEONE willing to do so.

    I've been there, and lived it. I've seen it with my own eyes.


    I'll admit that 'affluent' is the wrong word, and an exaggeration. However your own personal history does not account for every possible case of homelessness. Again, the mentally ill. And trust me, I'm not speaking from a bubble here. Those afflicted with psychosis often don't have a home, and it's not because they're jerks.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Begging for money should be personally degrading. It should make a person feel so ashamed that they want to never have to do it again. It should force them to review the series of events that led them to that point, find out what went wrong and to start taking steps to get out of the hole that they're in. Easier said than done, I know. And I'm sure not everyone has that kind of resolve. They might need help to start that process, but again, that's where charitable organizations come in. But until they find the motivation to do that, they'll begging on the streets indefinitely. As long as they feel like begging is a real option for them, I don't think anything will change.

    You're not a bad person for giving them money. Quite the opposite. And I understand your reasoning. I just don't think it's the help that they really need.
    I dunno. My experience with degradation is that you hit bottom, and then you tend to stay at that humiliating bottom for quite a while. I mean, what you describe here—
    It should force them to review the series of events that led them to that point, find out what went wrong and to start taking steps to get out of the hole that they're in.
    —is the thought process of a sane, rational, and non-addicted mind. (Also generally the thought process of a mind with some strong social support system in place.) If you truly hit bottom, you are at least missing two of those three traits.

    I think it helps to emphasize how hard it is to escape from the cycle of degradation. It's excruciating, and the existence of whatever charitable organizations does not guarantee it. I know how easy it is to just think "they should work on finding a way out," or "they should find someone to help them with finding a way out," and, sure, I guess at some level that's correct. They should! But every "way out" is swimming upstream against the extreme weight of what was the "way in." And sometimes there just isn't a way out.

    And even if there is a way out, clearly not everybody reaches its end. Many die in that same state of extreme degradation. So, assuming I meet a stranger whose life has and will be one continual trainwreck of suffering--what happens if I give him five bucks? His life is hell, and then he dies--except this time he's got five more bucks. Hard to say what exactly I've enabled, one way or the other.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 08-29-2010 at 11:43 PM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  6. #29
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,366
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I'm sorry, I was not speaking about the truly homeless and meant no disparagement to them. Rather, my comments are directed at those people described in PacerDude's original post. What he describes there are the scam artists we all see every day, and for them I have NO MONEY.


    BTW....two years ago there was a man and woman that worked the intersection at I-70 and Post road. Every once in a while you would see her give him a kiss as they worked throughout the day. Then came winter and they were gone. Last year they returned with with warm weather and she was obviously pregnant (or had one of those body suits that make you look as if you are).....I haven't seen them this year. A new group is working that intersection.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  7. #30
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Say it's a coke addict and they need their fix. . . where exactly are they supposed to go detox? In jail? I have no problem making things a little more bearable for them for a day.
    So you're cool with giving money to a coke addict, so he can go score?

    As someone who's brother is a crack addict, who has made the choice to live on the streets and just get high......

    I'm not saying every homeless person is like that, I bet less than half, but like others have said, there's charities like Salvation Army where you can go.

    If for some odd reason I saw you, or anyone for that matter, giving my brother money I would make quite a public scene.

    They don't give a **** how they look to others. All they care about is scoring. If that means they have to beg you, they will not hesitate. Hell, they won't remember doing it 20mins later. If they have to rob you, they will. If they have to cut you while robbing you, they will.

    My brother has stolen and then sold my moms bike (after he rode it 10miles) to score. He's stolen my checkbook and withdrawn money from places like Marsh that don't ask for IDs anything less than $25. He's sold multiple cars that my parents bought him, he's stolen his "girlfriend's" truck and sold the tool box for the bed.

    If you want to "do good" for them. Then buy them food. Buy them clothes. Buy them other resources, but don't give them money.


    Addicts don't "detox," If they happen to sober up before they come down, they're looking for a way to get their next score.

    There's a reason why you don't see obese chronic addicts. It's because they will use that money to score before they buy food.

  8. #31
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you're cool with giving money to a coke addict, so he can go score?

    As someone who's brother is a crack addict, who has made the choice to live on the streets and just get high......

    I'm not saying every homeless person is like that, I bet less than half, but like others have said, there's charities like Salvation Army where you can go.

    If for some odd reason I saw you, or anyone for that matter, giving my brother money I would make quite a public scene.

    They don't give a **** how they look to others. All they care about is scoring. If that means they have to beg you, they will not hesitate. Hell, they won't remember doing it 20mins later. If they have to rob you, they will. If they have to cut you while robbing you, they will.

    My brother has stolen and then sold my moms bike (after he rode it 10miles) to score. He's stolen my checkbook and withdrawn money from places like Marsh that don't ask for IDs anything less than $25. He's sold multiple cars that my parents bought him, he's stolen his "girlfriend's" truck and sold the tool box for the bed.

    If you want to "do good" for them. Then buy them food. Buy them clothes. Buy them other resources, but don't give them money.


    Addicts don't "detox," If they happen to sober up before they come down, they're looking for a way to get their next score.

    There's a reason why you don't see obese chronic addicts. It's because they will use that money to score before they buy food.
    Yes, crack loans are sad. I know of someone who has stolen his child's TV, along with multiple cell phones, video game systems, PCs, etc. All for cocaine.

  9. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Perhaps I am a cold *******, but I do not like giving these guys any money.

    I understand **** happens, but normally I offer to buy them a burger if I am outside a restaurant, or pick them up a bag of chips if I am outside a grocery store.


    9 times out of 10 I get an "F you" or "really man, you can’t just throw $20 my way"


    I actually give a lot of charities I like (nothing but nets, special Olympics, I do a lot with the mentally challenged because of personal experiences I have had, etc) but I also was kind of frustrated/disappointed a few years ago when Fox 5 did a special on people in DC who have a FULL TIME JOB and still went around places in DC wearing only worn out bed sheets begging for money. One man admitted to making as much as $45,000 a year from pan-handling. That is disheartening for many reasons, not the least of which is the money he is taking away from people who really do not help.

  10. #33
    Child Of Scorn MnvrChvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    My father is the pastor of a church on East 38th st. I grew up in that church and have seen thousands of people come through asking for handouts. It used to be legitimate issues. Unwed pregnant girl gets kicked out of her parents house and can't find food. Now there are charities like WIC for that stuff. Personally I wish more people would rely on churches for this kind of stuff since it is part of what they do. Anymore though, we cannot give money. We offer to feed them or find them clothes. 9 of 10 will keep walking to the next church, and most of the final 10% will come with you and get upset when you say "that's all I got." I feel like a bouncer half the time because I have to sort through people before I let them in. Sounds horrible, right? I have no choice. My church is predominantly old people, and our old women (who almost all live off welfare) will give every last cent they have to help a person in need. MOST of these people don't care a hoot that they are taking this woman's money for food! Honestly, I want to help people, if for no other reason, than so I can feel like a hero and self-aggrandize, but it really is only enabling them to stay in their condition.

    Here's another frustrating story. I took my wife on a date (very rare) to PF Chang's downtown. It was the nicest restaurant we'd been to in forever. We actually splurged and ordered two separate meals instead of splitting like normal. Anywho, we ended up only eating one and boxing up the other for our dinner the next night (it makes the bill feel a little less painful). As soon as we walk out the door we are accosted by a dude asking for money for food. He said he had a little girl that was starving. I knew he was lying, but frankly I'm not gonna even take the chance that he wasn't because that would haunt me till my dying day. So I offered him the very expensive meal we had in a bag. The dude was mad that I didn't have any money! I said, "I'm going to pretend you didn't just do that," and we walked away.

    On the other hand I took my church youth group downtown one night and ran across a guy begging. I actually gave that guy $20 and he stood up and gave my kids a very good speech about avoiding sin because sin lead him to his situation. It came across very sincere and the kids actually responded to it which is a miracle for teenagers. That one was worth every penny no matter what the guy uses it for.

  11. #34
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,832

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    First & foremost we have morphed this conversation away from the title. Panhandler, beggars, lazy freaking people was the title and nowhere did I see homeless.

    Being homeless and being one of the above are not one and the same.

    Just like there is a vast vast vast difference between being homeless and living on the streets.

    A lot of people are homeless, not all of them live on the streets.

    I can only speak for Indiana here but in Indiana we still have township governments. The township trustee is responsible for the indigent living within the township.

    A lot of people do not know that btw.

    In Indiana no one has to live on the streets. They either do so because they do not know the resources that are available to them or they have a mental illness that prevents them from finding the resources or they are impaired by addiction and do not either want to use the resources or they do not have the mental capacity to use the resources available to them.

    Resources btw include both government (townships) and private institutions (Salvation Army, etc.)

    However none of this has anything to do with panhandlers & beggars.

    I have had several experiences downtown in Indianapolis and several other cities’ I have visited. Nashville TN was a particularly troubling place for this.

    However the one I want to share with you is one right from the parking garage of the fieldhouse.

    Last year in early December we (my family & myself) are walking from our truck to the entrance of the fieldhouse via the 3rd floor bridge. As we were walking to the door to enter the bridge a woman who appeared to be in her late 40's to early 50's dressed in very nice cloths approaches me and tells me that she has locked herself out of her car and while she hated to ask me for this she needed to borrow $30.00 to pay for the locksmith to get her keys out of her car.

    Now while I have been approached several times from people wanting money I will say this one did not come across as a scam at first. She was well groomed, had on nice cloths we were at the fieldhouse to see the trans siberian orchestra so she appeared to be a fellow concert goer.

    So I actually fell for her story. But there is a twist to this our company's service truck happened to be about 10 blocks away so instead of reaching for my wallet I reached over and pulled out my cell phone. I thought I was doing a really good thing when she say's "what are you doing" I explain that I am calling for our company's service vehicle and that he would have her car unlocked in a jiffy and that there would be no charge for this.

    Well needless to say she starts back peddling about the story and now can't remember where her car is located. By this time my radar had kicked back on and I am now pretty much convinced that she is a scammer. When I offer to help her look for her car she turns around and goes down the ramp and when I try to follow her to help her look for her car she takes off running.

    I then go into the concert.

    Now fast-forward by about two weeks and I am going in at a Pacers game. Same woman walks up to me with the same exact story obviously forgetting that she has tried this on me before.

    When I say to her "you locked your keys in the car again" she gives me a curious look. I then inform her that she tried to pull this scam on me before to which she just turned around and walked away.

    However instead of leaving she went to the next group of people that was coming along. I was not about to let them get scammed so I actually followed her and told them that she had been pulling this scam for awhile. She actually threatened to call the cops on me for this saying I was harassing her so I said let's call them together shall we?

    However while I was doing this my wife went and got security from the fieldhouse who contacted security at the garage who came a running. She took off running again with security chasing. I never saw if they caught her or not but I know she has never been back.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  13. #35
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you're cool with giving money to a coke addict, so he can go score?

    As someone who's brother is a crack addict, who has made the choice to live on the streets and just get high......

    I'm not saying every homeless person is like that, I bet less than half, but like others have said, there's charities like Salvation Army where you can go.

    If for some odd reason I saw you, or anyone for that matter, giving my brother money I would make quite a public scene.

    They don't give a **** how they look to others. All they care about is scoring. If that means they have to beg you, they will not hesitate. Hell, they won't remember doing it 20mins later. If they have to rob you, they will. If they have to cut you while robbing you, they will.

    My brother has stolen and then sold my moms bike (after he rode it 10miles) to score. He's stolen my checkbook and withdrawn money from places like Marsh that don't ask for IDs anything less than $25. He's sold multiple cars that my parents bought him, he's stolen his "girlfriend's" truck and sold the tool box for the bed.

    If you want to "do good" for them. Then buy them food. Buy them clothes. Buy them other resources, but don't give them money.


    Addicts don't "detox," If they happen to sober up before they come down, they're looking for a way to get their next score.

    There's a reason why you don't see obese chronic addicts. It's because they will use that money to score before they buy food.
    So basically, you're saying that addicts behave like addicts. I understand all that. If he's accosting me in the street, he's clearly not in a rehabilitative center, and he probably doesn't even want to kick it. I mean, really, what are the options here? I lock him in a room and say, Sorry buddy, no more crack for you!? He's addicted. Either he's going to score, or he'll end up dead or in jail because he did something stupid while trying to score. Either way, he'll have done it with five more bucks.

    I'm not concerned with "doing them good," at least not in this situation. I'm not their doctor, I'm not their pastor. If a guy asks me for some money because he's scrounging up the $ to score, I sure as hell ain't giving him a cheeseburger.

    You cannot always resolve a problem entirely. Judging some dude because he's an addict doesn't help anyone. He's got a pressing need: more crack. Okay. More than likely he's years away from his first serious attempt to quit. In the meantime he can have five bucks.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  14. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So basically, you're saying that addicts behave like addicts. I understand all that. If he's accosting me in the street, he's clearly not in a rehabilitative center, and he probably doesn't even want to kick it. I mean, really, what are the options here? I lock him in a room and say, Sorry buddy, no more crack for you!? He's addicted. Either he's going to score, or he'll end up dead or in jail because he did something stupid while trying to score. Either way, he'll have done it with five more bucks.

    I'm not concerned with "doing them good," at least not in this situation. I'm not their doctor, I'm not their pastor. If a guy asks me for some money because he's scrounging up the $ to score, I sure as hell ain't giving him a cheeseburger.

    You cannot always resolve a problem entirely. Judging some dude because he's an addict doesn't help anyone. He's got a pressing need: more crack. Okay. More than likely he's years away from his first serious attempt to quit. In the meantime he can have five bucks.
    I can not express in words how much I disagree with this attitude.

    To each their own though.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  16. #37
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I honestly cannot believe you are willing to give people money to buy crack.

    I pray that you never have to deal with a close friend or relative with a high end addiction like crack, because you will be in for a very rude awakening. It seriously makes me sick to my stomach after reading that.

    You might as well go buy it for them, and hold the lighter so they can smoke it. I've hoped for many years that the news would come that my brother had OD'd or has gotten busted enough time that he will never leave prison. That's a cold hard reality to wish that your own flesh and blood will somehow leave society so the mental and phsyical anguish I watch my mother go through will lessen or somehow stop all together.

    No matter how long you convince yourself, you are NOT helping the situation the slightest.

    I regret openning this thread.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  18. #38
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,391

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I remember sitting in Mongolian BBQ and a guy came up in the restaurant and gave us this sob story about how his car was out of gas and his daughter was having a baby. I quickly told him we did not have any money for him because I recognized him from the days I worked at this local library when I was in college. He did the same story outside the library!

    He got mad at us and stormed off and then next thing I know he is hitting up another family that is across the restaurant.

    The manager eventually removed him.

    I try to help the ones who are of need by donating clothes to the Salvation Army and offering to buy a sandwich or something, but I will never give money to a homeless person.

  19. #39
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,989

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Peck, I enjoyed your story involving the woman who I suspect was pretty good at getting $30 a pop. if she got 3 people to buy her story that is $90 - not too bad for 30 mins of work.

    The sad thing is next time someone is truly in a bind and needs some help you are going to be a lot less likely to believe that person and much less likely to help.

    I've been approached by people at gas stations and they give me their story about losing their wallets, needing just $5.00 for gas to get home. I always just say no, but I do wonder if someday someone who does truly need $5.00 to get home and I turn them away, and you know I would be more than happy to help someone who isn't scamming.

  20. #40
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I heard about this one guy this one time who tried to scam the cable company out of NBA League Pass. Luckily their radar was on and they saw through his charade......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


  22. #41
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,900

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was coming out of a Blockbuster once on the west side of Indy. It was Christmas eve 2002 and I had just started the job I still have today which I was very fortunate to get. I was still getting established and had little money though and was only carrying $2 after renting a couple movies. I came out and a guy hit me up with his sob story. "I'm from Michigan and trying to get to Bloomington to see my daughter for Christmas but my car here is out of gas blah blah blah". I sat there for a few seconds and listened and started to reach for my wallet but something stopped me. He had pointed at a car that was close by the door when he said "my car here". So I asked him "your car here? As in this car right here?" pointing to the same one he had pointed at. He said yeah. I said "I only have two bucks on me but If you can open this car I'll give it to you". He just turned and walked away. It wasn't his car and he obviously didn't have the keys for it. I get the desperation. I get that folks need money. But there are plenty of welfare programs that we all contribute to. Use them. That's what they're there for.
    How funny would it have been if he had pointed at your car?

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  24. #42
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly cannot believe you are willing to give people money to buy crack.

    I pray that you never have to deal with a close friend or relative with a high end addiction like crack, because you will be in for a very rude awakening. It seriously makes me sick to my stomach after reading that.

    You might as well go buy it for them, and hold the lighter so they can smoke it. I've hoped for many years that the news would come that my brother had OD'd or has gotten busted enough time that he will never leave prison. That's a cold hard reality to wish that your own flesh and blood will somehow leave society so the mental and phsyical anguish I watch my mother go through will lessen or somehow stop all together.

    No matter how long you convince yourself, you are NOT helping the situation the slightest.

    I regret openning this thread.
    Already have dealt with it. And of course it's different when they are your friend or family. You've got more options.

    I'm talking about a random guy in the street. "Hey man, can you spare like five bucks?" This isn't about helping. If I'm not helping by giving him money, neither are you by not giving $--nor by giving him a precious sandwich. It's a ****ed up situation, and the chances of this random dude ever escaping his misery are slim. If I can afford to part with the money, I give. If I can't or am feeling incredibly *****y that day, I don't.

    As for the "you might as well hold the lighter for them" junk--please.

    As for the more general question of giving at all—once I gave a beggar in Broad Ripple $10. She then asked for a ride to a grocery store so I took her. She came out with a sackful of milk, bread, and lunchmeat, and I took her home. On her way home we stopped by all the nearby church food-giveaway charities, and they all came up dry.

    A decent % of these people just want to eat. She was also obviously mentally ill—I think she said bipolar?—so it's not like she could just "deal."

    Eventually we got her set up with social services, so, woohoo. Of course doing the same thing--giving a dude a ride somewhere--also almost got me killed by a crazy guy w/ a knife once, so, you know, I might be an idiot. But your money doesn't always go to waste! And personally, the scammers are super-easy to spot. [Their cycles and routines are just toweringly dumb.] Just don't give to them!
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 08-31-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:


  26. #43
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Can we get away from the druggie stuff, please?

    This wasn't about them, and this area isn't something I really care to have discussed here.\

    Thanks.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  28. #44
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,989

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I heard about this one guy this one time who tried to scam the cable company out of NBA League Pass. Luckily their radar was on and they saw through his charade......
    LOL that is just so wrong.

  29. #45
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    In high school my father had pirated directv. That was pretty awesome!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  30. #46
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can we get away from the druggie stuff, please?

    This wasn't about them, and this area isn't something I really care to have discussed here.\

    Thanks.
    Maybe not, but it says quite a bit about where we are in society.

  31. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Already have dealt with it. And of course it's different when they are your friend or family. You've got more options.

    I'm talking about a random guy in the street. "Hey man, can you spare like five bucks?" This isn't about helping. If I'm not helping by giving him money, neither are you by not giving $--nor by giving him a precious sandwich. It's a ****ed up situation, and the chances of this random dude ever escaping his misery are slim. If I can afford to part with the money, I give. If I can't or am feeling incredibly *****y that day, I don't.

    As for the "you might as well hold the lighter for them" junk--please.

    As for the more general question of giving at all—once I gave a beggar in Broad Ripple $10. She then asked for a ride to a grocery store so I took her. She came out with a sackful of milk, bread, and lunchmeat, and I took her home. On her way home we stopped by all the nearby church food-giveaway charities, and they all came up dry.

    A decent % of these people just want to eat. She was also obviously mentally ill—I think she said bipolar?—so it's not like she could just "deal."

    Eventually we got her set up with social services, so, woohoo. Of course doing the same thing--giving a dude a ride somewhere--also almost got me killed by a crazy guy w/ a knife once, so, you know, I might be an idiot. But your money doesn't always go to waste! And personally, the scammers are super-easy to spot. [Their cycles and routines are just toweringly dumb.] Just don't give to them!
    Be careful man.

    I know you have good intentions, but even with all of my schooling and training I will never give a ride to someone I do not know.

  32. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peck, I enjoyed your story involving the woman who I suspect was pretty good at getting $30 a pop. if she got 3 people to buy her story that is $90 - not too bad for 30 mins of work.

    The sad thing is next time someone is truly in a bind and needs some help you are going to be a lot less likely to believe that person and much less likely to help.

    I've been approached by people at gas stations and they give me their story about losing their wallets, needing just $5.00 for gas to get home. I always just say no, but I do wonder if someday someone who does truly need $5.00 to get home and I turn them away, and you know I would be more than happy to help someone who isn't scamming.
    That reminds me of when my CC was stolen last year and used at like 7 or 8 diffrent gas stations.

    Apparently a popular scam is to tell people you are desperate for cash, and offer to fill up their car with gas if they give you half of the cost (so for $40 worth of gas you pay the guy $20 in cash). The catch is the card is stolen, so the person just made an easy $20.

    Thank goodness Chase caught it and asked me if I had my card on me. Luckily they also follow trends and they saw I only go to one brand of gas stations so seeing a variation was a big surprise.

  33. #49
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Already have dealt with it. And of course it's different when they are your friend or family. You've got more options.

    I'm talking about a random guy in the street. "Hey man, can you spare like five bucks?" This isn't about helping. If I'm not helping by giving him money, neither are you by not giving $--nor by giving him a precious sandwich. It's a ****ed up situation, and the chances of this random dude ever escaping his misery are slim. If I can afford to part with the money, I give. If I can't or am feeling incredibly *****y that day, I don't.

    As for the "you might as well hold the lighter for them" junk--please.

    As for the more general question of giving at all—once I gave a beggar in Broad Ripple $10. She then asked for a ride to a grocery store so I took her. She came out with a sackful of milk, bread, and lunchmeat, and I took her home. On her way home we stopped by all the nearby church food-giveaway charities, and they all came up dry.

    A decent % of these people just want to eat. She was also obviously mentally ill—I think she said bipolar?—so it's not like she could just "deal."

    Eventually we got her set up with social services, so, woohoo. Of course doing the same thing--giving a dude a ride somewhere--also almost got me killed by a crazy guy w/ a knife once, so, you know, I might be an idiot. But your money doesn't always go to waste! And personally, the scammers are super-easy to spot. [Their cycles and routines are just toweringly dumb.] Just don't give to them!
    I know you're an intelligent kid, but probably one of the dumbest things you can do is give a ride to a complete stranger, especially with no one else in the car. You may be able to spot the scammers, but you can't always spot psychotic.

  34. #50
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,802

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Already have dealt with it. And of course it's different when they are your friend or family. You've got more options.

    I'm talking about a random guy in the street. "Hey man, can you spare like five bucks?" This isn't about helping. If I'm not helping by giving him money, neither are you by not giving $--nor by giving him a precious sandwich. It's a ****ed up situation, and the chances of this random dude ever escaping his misery are slim. If I can afford to part with the money, I give. If I can't or am feeling incredibly *****y that day, I don't.

    As for the "you might as well hold the lighter for them" junk--please.

    As for the more general question of giving at all—once I gave a beggar in Broad Ripple $10. She then asked for a ride to a grocery store so I took her. She came out with a sackful of milk, bread, and lunchmeat, and I took her home. On her way home we stopped by all the nearby church food-giveaway charities, and they all came up dry.

    A decent % of these people just want to eat. She was also obviously mentally ill—I think she said bipolar?—so it's not like she could just "deal."

    Eventually we got her set up with social services, so, woohoo. Of course doing the same thing--giving a dude a ride somewhere--also almost got me killed by a crazy guy w/ a knife once, so, you know, I might be an idiot. But your money doesn't always go to waste! And personally, the scammers are super-easy to spot. [Their cycles and routines are just toweringly dumb.] Just don't give to them!
    I know you're trying to help people out and I think that's great, but picking up strangers as you cruise the streets of Indy has to be one of the most dangerous things I've ever heard of anyone doing. There are a lot of scary people in Indy - people who have no money, no prospects, no life. All many of them care about is getting that next score and if hurting someone to get that score is what it takes then they'll do it. I know not all people on the street are like and that many really do just want to eat, but enough of them have bad motives in mind which means that I'm going to treat all of them that way out of concern for my own safety.

    The immediate Broad Ripple area is decent, but the war-zone areas aren't too far away which means that transients head up there in hopes that drunks will hit them up with some change as they hit up the bars on a Saturday night. Unfortunately, some of them have worse motives in mind as is evidenced by the decent amount of robberies that have taken place there recently. These happened to people minding their own business as they walked the street, so you can only imagine what would have happened if one of these thugs would have found their way into someone's car. It sounds like you picked this woman up during the day, but still.....

    You're obviously a smart guy and you live in Indy so you certainly know what goes on here. I know I'm not telling you anything that you haven't heard before, but I really do wish you would find alternatives to helping the disadvantaged which wouldn't put your own safety at jeopardy. Picking up a friendly stranger in small town USA would be a risk-but picking one up in Indy is about as dangerous as it gets.

    As to the panhandler topic: I've always thought that Indy has had a high amount of them. It seems to me like there are more in Downtown Indy than there are in other cities I've been in, though maybe I'm just imaging things. I was in NYC this summer and didn't see near as many there, but maybe I just didn't notice them because of the massive crowds. Ones in Indy are going to standout due to the fact that it's smaller and because the panhandlers here tend to be extra-rude, IMO. There have been several instances downtown where the pandhandlers have been persistent to the point where it's extremely annoying and a little uncomfortable. Downtown Indy just breeds pandhandlers due to the fact that there is always something going on: Colts, Pacers, conventions, nice restaurants, Circle Center - lots of people carrying a lot of cash....
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-01-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. The problem is that Chucky Atkins is right.....
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 03:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •