Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 78

Thread: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

  1. #51
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Hmmm. I deleted the other post because I felt like it was kinda personal, but I wanted to make it clear that I didn't delete it because I like staunchly disagree with you guys or something. I know it's dumb. For a long time I was suicidal and so did a lot of stupid things by myself around the 38th st area of Indy at night. Which I know doesn't really make sense, but you're impulsive when you're deeply suicidal (or at least I was), and my instinct was always to head out in that area--partly, I'm sure, because I knew I wouldn't have to face any of my hoity-toity, "I go to a 40k/year school" Butler friends over there. [Everyone always wondered where I was!]
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  2. #52
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmm. I deleted the other post because I felt like it was kinda personal, but I wanted to make it clear that I didn't delete it because I like staunchly disagree with you guys or something. I know it's dumb. For a long time I was suicidal and so did a lot of stupid things by myself around the 38th st area of Indy at night. Which I know doesn't really make sense, but you're impulsive when you're deeply suicidal (or at least I was), and my instinct was always to head out in that area--partly, I'm sure, because I knew I wouldn't have to face any of my hoity-toity, "I go to a 40k/year school" Butler friends over there. [Everyone always wondered where I was!]
    What part of 38th were you hanging around? 38th by the Art Museum and the river isn't too bad. I know someone that lives over there and head to that area routinely. There seem to be a lot of students (grad and undergrad) there. I feel safe at the apartment complex, though it can be a big sketch getting there at night. If you go north of that area along Knolton Rd you run into some really nice houses. I've never been to the scare mall area at night and don't plan to. I haven't been to East 38th period as that area is a complete war-zone.

  3. #53
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    14,864
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What part of 38th were you hanging around? 38th by the Art Museum and the river isn't too bad. I know someone that lives over there and head to that area routinely. There seem to be a lot of students (grad and undergrad) there. I feel safe at the apartment complex, though it can be a big sketch getting there at night. If you go north of that area along Knolton Rd you run into some really nice houses. I've never been to the scare mall area at night and don't plan to. I haven't been to East 38th period as that area is a complete war-zone.
    It is? Wow, I'd better quit driving thru there.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  4. #54

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Anyone who wants to follow crime in Indianapolis can do it by clicking on this link:

    http://imaps.indygov.org/publicsafetymaps/

    You can specify an intersection or a neighborhood and see every (reported) crime that occurred there in the past 6 months.



    .
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


  6. #55
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What part of 38th were you hanging around? 38th by the Art Museum and the river isn't too bad. I know someone that lives over there and head to that area routinely. There seem to be a lot of students (grad and undergrad) there. I feel safe at the apartment complex, though it can be a big sketch getting there at night. If you go north of that area along Knolton Rd you run into some really nice houses. I've never been to the scare mall area at night and don't plan to. I haven't been to East 38th period as that area is a complete war-zone.
    Laffeyette Square, Georgetown rd area.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  7. #56
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,152

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Not Lafayette Scare!

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  9. #57
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I used to live at 38th and Post!

  10. #58
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,990

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to live at 38th and Post!
    And you are still alive?!?! You are one of the lucky ones. 38th and post and 42nd and Post - that whole area has gone downhill so much in the past 10 years it is a little scary.

  11. #59
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I lived just south of there at 36th and Post. We actually never had problems until about 4 years ago when kids (we assume) kept breaking into our house. We eventually moved to my uncle's house in Noblesville.

  12. #60
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you are still alive?!?! You are one of the lucky ones. 38th and post and 42nd and Post - that whole area has gone downhill so much in the past 10 years it is a little scary.

    You're right, it is scary. Thank God you made it out OK Pig Nash, and I'm being 100% serious when I say that.

    The far east-side has basically turned into a complete hell-hole. The influx of those cheap, vinyl village homes that have turned to Section 8 have expanded the ghetto and completely ruined the area. These are homes that went into foreclosure and were purchased by companies who turn them into Section 8 places by either selling them at extremely cheap prices or by renting them. This attracts a thuggish element and has expanded the ghetto to the far east side, well beyond 465. For many of these people, it's not good enough that they have a roof over their heads for pennies on the dollar. Nope, they want the plasma TV, they want the rims, they want the weed, they want the cash. Thus, good decent people like Pig Nash get terrorized by people breaking into their homes and have to live in fear that it will happen again.

    It used to be you could count on being pretty safe anywhere beyond 465. That's not the case anymore. The far east side beyond 465 is without a doubt one of the most dangerous areas in the city and now rivals the eastern part within 465 which has always been bad. Basically the entire East Side is rotten until you get into Hancock county.

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS02/80304038

    Look at the homicides that take place in that area this year and in previous years. There are at least 8-10 a year in the 38th street vicinity beyond 465. So far this year there have been 4 and if this year lives up the precedent set by the prior 4 there will be another 4 or so before the year is out. The area is a pure war-zone. Basically, I wouldn't venture over to the far-east side for anything unless I was on I-70 heading out of town.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-01-2010 at 12:42 PM.

  13. #61
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,135

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you are still alive?!?! You are one of the lucky ones. 38th and post and 42nd and Post - that whole area has gone downhill so much in the past 10 years it is a little scary.
    That was the first question that came to my mind.

    I remember the first time I went by my wife's school she taught at about 1.5 years ago and just remember being told which colors I was not to wear.

    That whole area over there is somewhere I never want to be when the sun starts to go down.

  14. #62
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    14,864
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right, it is scary. Thank God you made it out OK Pig Nash, and I'm being 100% serious when I say that.

    The far east-side has basically turned into a complete hell-hole. The influx of those cheap, vinyl village homes that have turned to Section 8 have expanded the ghetto and completely ruined the area. These are homes that went into foreclosure and were purchased by companies who turn them into Section 8 places by either selling them at extremely cheap prices or by renting them. This attracts a thuggish element and has expanded the ghetto to the far east side, well beyond 465. For many of these people, it's not good enough that they have a roof over their heads for pennies on the dollar. Nope, they want the plasma TV, they want the rims, they want the weed, they want the cash. Thus, good decent people like Pig Nash get terrorized by people breaking into their homes and have to live in fear that it will happen again.

    It used to be you could count on being pretty safe anywhere beyond 465. That's not the case anymore. The far east side beyond 465 is without a doubt one of the most dangerous areas in the city and now rivals the eastern part within 465 which has always been bad. Basically the entire East Side is rotten until you get into Hancock county.

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS02/80304038

    Look at the homicides that take place in that area this year and in previous years. There are at least 8-10 a year in the 38th street vicinity beyond 465. So far this year there have been 4 and if this year lives up the precedent set by the prior 4 there will be another 4 or so before the year is out. The area is a pure war-zone. Basically, I wouldn't venture over to the far-east side for anything unless I was on I-70 heading out of town.
    Exactly where I live. One mile into Hancock County. Still very nice neighborhood and Cumberland Police patrol it heavily. I expect a major comeback if they ever get the US 40 project done. (grrr)


    Seriously, look at 38th Street all the way east to west. That seem to be the trouble area.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 09-01-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  15. #63
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,683

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I wish everyone would stop picking on SiG.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:


  17. #64
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,890

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    To say I disagree with that whole post would be mild.

    SiG is virtuous because he gives, no matter what. Peck is virtuous because he doesn't just give, but would rather fullfill a direct need that turns out to be a scam.

    But again, SiG is virtuous because he just gives them money, no matter what.....

    I don't want to pile on SiG, and while I've never personally been through anything like he just confessed, I still feel for him. But at the same time, I wouldn't drive him back down to those parts of the city, because it wouldn't be "good" for him. There are other ways to help, than to just cave into his temporary wants.

    Just like an addict. Giving them money to score isn't "helping" anything, eventhough the saying is "it's the thought that counts."

    I don't want to sound like a dick, and think that I'm jumping on his back. Not at all. I have friends with a lot of different view points on a lot of different subjects and it doesn't affect our interactions. I wouldn't hesitate to sit down to eat with anyone of you. I can disagree with your opinions, without disagreeing with you personally.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  19. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,882

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I like everyone in this thread (hell I like most everyone at PD) but because we disagree with SIG we are picking on him? Umm, I guess I missed something but only one poster came across harsh, and after he explained his [personal] situation it helped explain why he had such a strong opinion.


    It is possible to disagree with someone and not be "picking" on them.

    As for the whole generosity is a virtue thing, fine. My personally I would rather donate to a organization (and after getting scammed in his by a company that took 60% of donation for "overhead I do a lot of research on companies before I donate) but if you choose other means, then fine.


    I will respect the man who donates his old clothes to Salvation Army just as much as I respect the man who donated to panhandlers. Just like I respect the soldier just as much as I donate the man who donates to a panhandler (Actually, that’s a lie. There are only a few heroes in my world, and a good number of them are the men and women serving our country. But that is a topic for another day)

  20. #66
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I didn't feel like I was being picked on.

    And I wouldn't be too quick to praise my compassion either. When I give I almost always try to make sure I get something out of the transaction. Understanding is an asset, but it's not like I can just go up to the guy next to me right now in the cafe and be like, "So, man, what's your story?" "Well, the love of my life divorced me half a year ago, and the only real form of companionship I've had since then has been my epileptic Spinone. Right out of college I was offered a position with what is now the bottled water empire Aquafina, but I turned it down to work in the "family business"--a podunk little antique shoppe. And at night I cry myself to sleep, convinced that I've become a withered shrunken husk of what I should have been. . ."

    It turns out that it's incredibly hard to get strangers to talk openly to you when they don't need your money. I once paid $5 to learn a little bit about what it's like to be stuck with an atrophied nubbin of a leg because your abusive husband slammed your spine up against the edge of a filing cabinet. Pretty sure I came out in the black on that one.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  21. #67
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One was SiG's statement that he gives when he can. Generosity is a virtue, and no one can make it not virtuous.

    General Jeffrey Amherst would beg to differ.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  22. #68
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    StL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,716

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I lived just south of there at 36th and Post. We actually never had problems until about 4 years ago when kids (we assume) kept breaking into our house.
    Never had any serious problems here until a building about 2 miles from my house had a hostage situation today. Apparently not everyone is happy to live each week like it's Shark Week...

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It turns out that it's incredibly hard to get strangers to talk openly to you when they don't need your money.
    Not if you have a card table, two microphones and an empty chair.


    EDIT: The video isn't embedding for some reason but here's the link:

    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 09-02-2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Slate video code embedding issues

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:


  24. #69
    Member Merz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,078
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    Not if you have a card table, two microphones and an empty chair.



    [/IMG][/URL]
    Plus a camera


    Some people will do anything to get on TV or the internet

  25. #70
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,101
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I just got back from a week in D.C. and if you think we have a homeless problem in Indy, you NEED to go check out the area around D.C.'s Union Station. There is a difference though. The folks in D.C. do not hustle you for money. They might ask for a buck as you pass, but they leave you alone if you refuse and do not loudly follow you down the street, shake a cup in your face, or anything of the like.

    The absolute WORST experience I've ever seen with homeless people is Key West Florida though. Due to the awesome climate, they have year round professional street people, complete with a union like pecking order regarding which corner you can stand on and which hours you can "work".

  26. #71
    Member ChristianDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,575

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I agree with you. If someone is actually homeless and you can tell, my family will always either 1) give them a few dollars or 2) buy them a burger or 2 or something like that. There is a lot of just plain laziness of not wanting to work and a bunch of this disability crap when the people have nothing wrong with them and they just make up ailments, but I'm always for helping out people in need when they really need it and aren't just bluffing. And I'm not pointing out any specific people about the disability comment of mine, I just have a little bit of that going on with some relatives right now and they're just rediculous and it is quite comical about the things they think they can get disability for.

  27. #72
    Child Of Scorn MnvrChvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    404

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't hesitate to sit down to eat with anyone of you.
    Hey... You gonna eat those fries?

  28. #73

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it wrong that I want to scream and say that I pay taxes which goes to support welfare
    I don't know whether it was wrong or not and I don't mean to criticize you.

    But paying taxes to support "welfare" doesn't mean anything if the person doesn't qualify for welfare. You probably didn't take the time to find out the guy's situation sufficient to know whether any of the programs you support with your taxes could have helped him.

    If you live in Maryland and he was in California, then your taxes didn't contribute to general poor relief because that is a state-based program. If he hasn't been employed, your contributions to the Unemployment Insurance fund can't help him. You've contributed to the federal program for Women, Infants and Children program, but he's a man and can't get any help from that. So, it is quite possible that none of the programs your tax contribution have paid into would do anything for that particular guy.

    I'm not even saying that particular fellow deserved any help. All I'm saying is that "I pay taxes" isn't a meaningful reply to a person in need.


    (And I, for one, sympathize with you for bearing the Maryland tax burden. I did it, too, for a couple of years.)
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


  30. #74
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,277
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    I deleted my own post because I didn't want it to lead the discussion somewhere I didn't want it to lead and, on 2nd reading of my own post, I noted that it could be construed as hangry soapbox material that doesn't belong here on PD.

    Thanks Putnam for dropping some knowledge.

    Watched The Blind Side last night and know that I'm very priviledged and shouldn't take it for advantage.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:


  32. #75

    Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

    Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I deleted my own post because . . . on 2nd reading of my own post, I noted that it could be construed as angry soapbox material that doesn't belong here on PD.
    .

    You're good. I at least didn't think you were going the wrong way. I just saw an opportunity to note that the US "safety net" leaves a lot of people out.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. The problem is that Chucky Atkins is right.....
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 03:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •