Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

Default Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

I've had enough. Just today, I went to the bank, to get a haircut and to pick up some stuff @ Menards.

Coming out of the bank - COMING OUT OF THE BANK - there was #1. 'Scuse me sir, but I'm a hard working person and I really hate to be doing this, but I'm stranded with no money for gas ................. Sorry bud, I made a deposit.

In the parking lot of the hair place ........... 'Scuse me sir, but I hate to admit the situation I'm in, but I need to get back to ............... Sorry bud, I carry plastic. No cash.

Next stop - Menards. IN THE FREAKIN' STORE ........... 'Scuse me sir, but yada-yada ............ Sorry bud, I carry plastic. His reply - Well, they have an ATM across the street.

Come on you freakin' losers. And yes I did mention what was going on to each place of business. Not sure what they can do about it, but anyway .........

I'm fed up with it. Every damn place you go, people are asking for some handout. And the response when you politely decline - they're p'd off. Upset. Like I owe you anything ?? I know - next time, I'm going to say "Wow - what a coincidence - I was going to ask you for some money myself. Imagine that !!'

Sorry - just had to vent ......................

Default Re: Panhandlers, beggars, lazy freakin' people .......

If this becomes a political discussion, I'm going to close it. I'm not sure how it won't, but I'm willing to wait and make sure.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This homeless guy asked me for money the other day. I was about to give it to him and then I thought he was going to use it on drugs or alcohol.

And then I thought, that's what I'm going to use it on.

Why am I judging this poor *******?
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The IndyStar article last summer on the panhandlers that take up residence at 465 exits was quite revealing especially all the people that actually live in Carmel.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Don't knock homelessness until you've tried it.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I usually have a set amount that I'll offer them, take it or leave it. Usually it's a buck. I've had a few people who take the dollar (or five dollars if I'm feeling generous and have a job at the time) and try to barter up for like a twenty. I always feel somewhat slighted at that.

Of course, if we're in a public space and they'll exchange some of their time for $, I'll gladly give them whatever I can afford to at the time if they let me interview them for a little while. I have no shame in paying for people's stories.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Last time I got hit up in a parking lot was by a guy in front of a home improvement store just south of 56th & keystone. I think it's a menards. I gave him all my change (he said he needed bus fare to get his family home and his car was broke down...I didn't have jumper cables). I bought the story (stupid me), this was about 4 years ago. I gave him all my change and he said that wasn't enough, so I gave him 5 bucks and he saw I had a 20 and a 50 in there and asked if he could get the 20, and I basically told him "Look, I'm on to you, back off and go on your way before I call the cops for harassment in this parking lot." He backed off and was hitting up some other guy with the same story when I came walking out of the store.

At best it's dishonest, at worst it's dangerous. I don't appreciate it.

Luckily it hasn't happened to me in that sort of situation since then.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Yeah, I've found a lot of people in the Indy area that I know to just cycle through a few locations hitting people up with the same old story.

I've had someone get me with the bus story before at Circle Center Mall. I probably fell for a lie, but there's a part of me that believed it and/or wanted to believe it, so I gave him, I think, five bucks.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I've given, but never again. I believe there was a woman shot last year by someone who tried to grab her thru the window. (I may have the story turned around. If they really look to be in car trouble I'll offer to call AAA but that's it.

If they are panhandling...they prolly have paid for a license to do so.

Not that long ago if an officer believed you were panhandling he could question you about where you "lived" and worked.....it was called "Vagrancy" laws. It was considered illegal to be on the streets with no visible means of support.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Mood

People love to judge homeless guys. Like if you give them money they're just going to waste it.

Well, he lives in a box, what do you want him to do? Save it up and buy a wall unit? Take a little run to the store for a throw rug and a CD rack?

He's homeless.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People love to judge homeless guys. Like if you give them money they're just going to waste it.

Well, he lives in a box, what do you want him to do? Save it up and buy a wall unit? Take a little run to the store for a throw rug and a CD rack?

He's homeless.
    I judge them because how much of a piece of **** do you have to be to be truly homeless? Think about how many people you know who would help you out personally if you lost your place. How many people would allow you live with them to keep you from being homeless? For most people that number is certainly at least a couple, if not more.

What kind of a bridge burning jackass do you have to be, to seriously end up homeless without any friends or family willing to help you out? If you're not THAT person, then you're probably scamming.

Either way, I'm not going to bother. I'm going to get McDonalds applications and make 100 copies of them. When someone asks me for money, I'm going to hand them the application.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I judge them because how much of a piece of **** do you have to be to be truly homeless? Think about how many people you know who would help you out personally if you lost your place. How many people would allow you live with them to keep you from being homeless? For most people that number is certainly at least a couple, if not more.

What kind of a bridge burning jackass do you have to be, to seriously end up homeless without any friends or family willing to help you out? If you're not THAT person, then you're probably scamming.

Either way, I'm not going to bother. I'm going to get McDonalds applications and make 100 copies of them. When someone asks me for money, I'm going to hand them the application.
    I was actually quoting someone, but to be funny I plagiarized them...

Ironically the rest of what he said in his song goes along with what you posted...

Quote Originally Posted by LAZYBOY aka
    Greg Giraldo
    I walked behind this guy the other day.
    A homeless guy asked him for money.
    He looks right at the homeless guy and says why don't you go get a job you bum.
    People always say that to homeless guys like it is so easy.
    This homeless guy was wearing his underwear outside his pants.
    Outside his pants. I'm guessing his resume isn't all up to date.
    I'm predicting some problems during the interview process.
    I'm pretty sure even McDonalds has a "underwear goes inside the pants" policy.
    Not that they enforce it really strictly, but technically I'm sure it is on the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred P. Doolittle
    Don't say that, Governor. Don't look at it that way. What am I, Governors both? I ask you, what am I? I'm one of the undeserving poor: that's what I am. Think of what that means to a man. It means that he's up agen middle class morality all the time. If there's anything going, and I put in for a bit of it, it's always the same story: 'You're undeserving; so you can't have it.' But my needs is as great as the most deserving widow's that ever got money out of six different charities in one week for the death of the same husband. I don't need less than a deserving man: I need more. I don't eat less hearty than him; and I drink a lot more. I want a bit of amusement, cause I'm a thinking man. I want cheerfulness and a song and a band when I feel low. Well, they charge me just the same for everything as they charge the deserving. What is middle class morality? Just an excuse for never giving me anything.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

It could be that poor people aren't exactly overflowing with affluent friends able to let someone crash their place rent-free. Also, a good percent of the homeless are mentally ill.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 08-29-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Mood

I was coming out of a Blockbuster once on the west side of Indy. It was Christmas eve 2002 and I had just started the job I still have today which I was very fortunate to get. I was still getting established and had little money though and was only carrying $2 after renting a couple movies. I came out and a guy hit me up with his sob story. "I'm from Michigan and trying to get to Bloomington to see my daughter for Christmas but my car here is out of gas blah blah blah". I sat there for a few seconds and listened and started to reach for my wallet but something stopped me. He had pointed at a car that was close by the door when he said "my car here". So I asked him "your car here? As in this car right here?" pointing to the same one he had pointed at. He said yeah. I said "I only have two bucks on me but If you can open this car I'll give it to you". He just turned and walked away. It wasn't his car and he obviously didn't have the keys for it. I get the desperation. I get that folks need money. But there are plenty of welfare programs that we all contribute to. Use them. That's what they're there for.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    It could be that poor people aren't exactly overflowing with affluent white friends. Also, a good percent of the homeless are mentally ill.
    Dude?! You, me, and everyone else who is a regular here knows that there are a few surefire ways to get a thread locked on these forums and this is one of them.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

HOw many documentaries have to be made before people STOP being enablers and contribute to organizations such as Gleaner food bank, Knights of Columbus, Salvation Army etc etc ad nauseum instead of handing it to people at intersections?

BECAUSE YOU GIVE, YOU ENABLE....BECAUSE YOU ENABLE I MUST PUT UP WITH THEIR SCAMS. DONATE TO WORTHY ORGANIZATIONS AND LET THEM HANDLE THE PROBLEM RATHER THAN LETTING THESE PEOPLE BE A TRAFFIC HAZARD OR WORSE.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime. -Lao Tzu

Giving a panhandler money will help them out temporarily but it doesn't solve the root of the problem. And like Geezer said, it probably enables them. There are plenty of organizations that help the homeless and are worthy of your money.

I understand that s#it happens and perhaps some panhandlers are victims of circumstance. But that's where the charitable organizations come in. They provide the food and shelter until the homeless can get back on their feet. In the meantime, they shouldn't be begging or lying for money on the street.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Dude?! You, me, and everyone else who is a regular here knows that there are a few surefire ways to get a thread locked on these forums and this is one of them.

Edited. It amounts to the same thing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime. -Lao Tzu

Giving a panhandler money will help them out temporarily but it doesn't solve the root of the problem. And like Geezer said, it probably enables them. There are plenty of organizations that help the homeless and are worthy of your money.

I understand that s#it happens and perhaps some panhandlers are victims of circumstance. But that's where the charitable organizations come in. They provide the food and shelter until the homeless can get back on their feet. In the meantime, they shouldn't be begging or lying for money on the street.
    Must we always seek to solve to root of a problem every time we act? I understand your guys' position, but I think it's easy to forget just how personally degrading it is to beg a stranger for money, scam or no. Can you imagine the depths of **** your life would have to sink to to actually become a beggar? They have as much pride as anyone. I'm glad to give them whatever amount I've set aside, and I'm not so concerned about being an enabler. Say it's a coke addict and they need their fix. . . where exactly are they supposed to go detox? In jail? I have no problem making things a little more bearable for them for a day.

Also, awesome avatar!

Must we always seek to solve to root of a problem every time we act? I understand your guys' position, but I think it's easy to forget just how personally degrading it is to beg a stranger for money, scam or no. Can you imagine the depths of **** your life would have to sink to to actually become a beggar? They have as much pride as anyone. I'm glad to give them whatever amount I've set aside, and I'm not so concerned about being an enabler. Say it's a coke addict and they need their fix. . . where exactly are they supposed to go detox? In jail? I have no problem making things a little more bearable for them for a day.

Also, awesome avatar!
    Begging for money should be personally degrading. It should make a person feel so ashamed that they want to never have to do it again. It should force them to review the series of events that led them to that point, find out what went wrong and to start taking steps to get out of the hole that they're in. Easier said than done, I know. And I'm sure not everyone has that kind of resolve. They might need help to start that process, but again, that's where charitable organizations come in. But until they find the motivation to do that, they'll begging on the streets indefinitely. As long as they feel like begging is a real option for them, I don't think anything will change.

You're not a bad person for giving them money. Quite the opposite. And I understand your reasoning. I just don't think it's the help that they really need.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

It could be that poor people aren't exactly overflowing with affluent friends able to let someone crash their place rent-free. Also, a good percent of the homeless are mentally ill.
    You must live in some bubble my man. Seriously, you have 0 clue of what you're talking about. People don't have to be "affluent" to have someone stay with them.

I was raised dirt freaking poor, not even knowing where my next meal was going to come from sometimes when I got home from school. To the extent where my brother would bring home MRE's from his National Guard weekends, and sometimes that's all we would have. Seeing as how that's how I was raised, and who I was around, believe me I saw plenty of poor people letting other poor people move in with them to keep them from being homeless.

My dad is a severe alcoholic (awake at 5, drunk by 6 .... AM), and at times a huge piece of **** ... to put it nicely. I let him move in with me at one point to help him out, then he had to go when he started letting crackheads in the house I was paying for. Then his other alcoholic friends let him live there. Then another friend a year later after he burned that bridge. They're ALL poor. They're all struggling, but they still help each other out when the situation calls for it.

If my asshat father can find people to let him live there, I can't fathom how much of a complete .... (fill in the blank) you have to be to not have SOMEONE willing to do so.

I've been there, and lived it. I've seen it with my own eyes.
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 08-29-2010 at 09:56 PM.

You must live in some bubble my man. Seriously, you have 0 clue of what you're talking about. People don't have to be "affluent" to have someone stay with them.

I was raised dirt freaking poor, not even knowing where my next meal was going to come from sometimes when I got home from school. To the extent where my brother would bring home MRE's from his National Guard weekends, and sometimes that's all we would have. Seeing as how that's how I was raised, and who I was around, believe me I saw plenty of poor people letting other poor people move in with them to keep them from being homeless.

My dad is a severe alcoholic (awake at 5, drunk by 6 .... AM), and at times a huge piece of **** ... to put it nicely. I let him move in with me at one point to help him out, then he had to go when he started letting crackheads in the house I was paying for. Then his other alcoholic friends let him live there. Then another friend a year later after he burned that bridge. They're ALL poor. They're all struggling, but they still help each other out when the situation calls for it.

If my asshat father can find people to let him live there, I can't fathom how much of a complete .... (fill in the blank) you have to be to not have SOMEONE willing to do so.

I've been there, and lived it. I've seen it with my own eyes.
    It is just great to know you've found a way to explain every situation possible in which a person could become homeless. That's a pretty amazing accomplishment.

Some people are homeless because they're lazy, others are homeless for a multitude of other reasons. There are a lot of homeless people around where I live, a few of which I sort of have gotten to know because I pass them every day. Believe me, they are a variety of ways to become homeless and not all have to do with being a jackass.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    It is just great to know you've found a way to explain every situation possible in which a person could become homeless. That's a pretty amazing accomplishment.

Some people are homeless because they're lazy, others are homeless for a multitude of other reasons. There are a lot of homeless people around where I live, a few of which I sort of have gotten to know because I pass them every day. Believe me, they are a variety of ways to become homeless and not all have to do with being a jackass.
    Yes, you're correct there are a variety of ways to become homeless.

However there's not a variety of ways that nobody on planet Earth is willing to help you to avoid staying that way.