Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: From Istanbul, Turkey, the 2010 World Basketball Championships thread- Congratulations World Champion USA!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: From Istanbul, Turkey, the 2010 World Basketball Championships thread (now with extra primer)

Well, it was a game for 1 quarter, but Lithuania really came to play today. The tall blacks are getting pummeled 50-34 at halftime, as Kleiza has unlimited range today.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-28-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Default Re: From Istanbul, Turkey, the 2010 World Basketball Championships thread (now with extra primer)

I realize I'm probably the only one here that's intrigued by Jordan vs. Australia, but so help me I am.

In its first ever game on a world stage, Jordan actually looks pretty good.

It would be a heck of a story if they pulled an upset over the Boomers on their first try.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-28-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, is Spain the pre-"Decision" Heat, or post-"Decision"?

For lack of a better comparison, I compared them to Miami, because Miami is probably the biggest threat to LA this year, and they are a bit star-crazy themselves, personality-wise.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-28-2010 at 10:13 AM.

...you cannot stop Enver Soobzokov. You can only hope to contain him.

This is reminding me a bit of a 5/12 NCAA tournament game, where the lower seed is slowly gaining momentum, and is winning the crowd over.

39-32, Jordan leads at the half. The problem is that they can't play much better than this, and the Boomers can't possibly play any worse.

I wish i could switch between games, where are you watching it?

ESPN3.com has streaming of every game.

I don't get ESPN3, but I'm watching it elsewhere, but I'm going to err on the side of caution about posting the link, even though it's a non-NBA game, and the majority of us don't have access to ESPN3.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-28-2010 at 10:27 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Will be looking into the Jordan Australia game, always curious about the unknown countries. And having british commentary is always awesome

Don't look now, but China is making a serious comeback against Greece. Yi is playing like a man possessed. Totally different from the detached robotic player we've seen in the NBA.

Ok, it is hilarious that every time Australia makes a 3-pointer, the Axel Foley theme music plays in the background.

Don't look now, here come the Boomers. The lead is all the way down to 2.

Sun Yue really, really killed his own team today. China had Greece right where they wanted them and Yue kept taking every play himself and threw up three straight awful shots.

Yi was killing Greece the whole 2nd half, and they let Yue take all the big shots. Not sure why.

I don't think Turkoglu is anywhere close of being the best player outside of the US, but I'm expecting the home factor to be a huge advantage to Turkey, especially in the knock-out stage. A similar effect to the one that benefits clubs like Partizan or Macabi in the club competitions.

Tanjevic is a coach who instils a defensive, tough mentality to his teams. With the quality they have in their big man rotation - Ilyasova, Asik, Erden, Savas, Gonlum - I expect them to be a dominant rebounding team throughout the tournament and very good protecting the paint. Plus, they use plenty of switches defensively, using the mobility of their bigs and the size of their guards. This will cause lots of problems to the weaker offensive teams.

They're a vulnerable team mostly due to poor guard play - Tunceri, Onan and Akyol are decent, hard nosed players but they lack creativity and consistency; the reserves are no big shakes. Their offense is very stagnant and over-reliant on the 3pt shot and completely depleted of fluidity and ball movement. Good defensive teams that can stop Hedo's pick'n'roll game and defend the post will reduce them to a one-trick pony. They'd vastly improve with a quality distributor in their backcourt.

So, I'm expecting a very good rebounding team, a good defensive team and a poor offensive team vs. quality teams - they'll do well if their 3pt shots are falling but they don't have much versatility if that fails. Anyway, I don't think there's much separation in those teams behind the top-5, so the home court factor should be enough to put Turkey a little bit ahead of the pack.
    Last edited by cordobes; 08-28-2010 at 11:07 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

A huge, huge three to put Jordan up 5 with three minutes left.

Rasheim Wright is having the game of his life. He's not letting them lose.

Patty Mills is taking over. Jordan up 1 with 33 seconds left. This is taking on the personality of an NBA game. Give it to your best creator and get out of his way.

Total brain-fart rebounding foul on Jordan. David Anderson, Australia's best player, is on the line with 13 seconds left. Hits both easily.

Jordan gets the ball, down 1.

Wright misses, and Jordan misses about 3 or 4 tips at the rim, and the Boomers win 76-75 at the buzzer!

It has to be agonizing for them to be leading pretty much the entire game, only to cough it up at the very end like that. But that's where experience comes into play.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-28-2010 at 11:16 AM.

What a stupid foul. Jordan's head-coach is a good friend of mine. I hope they can pull this out.

It wasn't just the stupid foul. Jordan had a 7-point lead late, and kept letting Patty Mills break them down. They didn't adjust well at all to the added pressure.

In reality, just winning one game in Turkey would be a successful showing for Jordan. They should beat Angola easily if they play them like they did Australia.

Oh, what a shame. Jordan didn't attack the offensive board the entire game, there's some poetic justice that they failed to get the offensive rebound there. Great effort by Jordan anyway.

I thought it was good strategy to not get on the offensive glass. It kept Australia from beating them up in transition, which is the one thing they do well.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So is today's game (USA) going to be televised?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So is today's game (USA) going to be televised?
    It's on in 30 minutes, on ESPN Classic.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-28-2010 at 12:01 PM.

In the meantime, I'm taking a quick look at Puerto Rico vs. Russia. Carlos Arroyo and Jose Barea have a lot of fun together, and they manage to make Peter Ramos look like a legit big man every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I thought it was good strategy to not get on the offensive glass. It kept Australia from beating them up in transition, which is the one thing they do well.
    Agreed. Australia has good post players - Maric, Nielsen, Andersen - but I'd rather leave with that than allowing them to play a more free-wheeling game. It was a very good game from Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    I wish i could switch between games, where are you watching it?
    I'm watching with FIBA TV. I suppose it's not worth it if you're only interested in this tournament, especially if there are free alternatives, but for a fee of 30 one gets to see every FIBA tournament during one year.