Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Quote from DG33 in an ESPN article

Default Interesting Quote from DG33 in an ESPN article

Rajon Rondo thinks he's on the bubble
    By Chris Sheridan
    ESPN.com
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/...ory?id=5492343

ATHENS, Greece -- Somebody is going to get cut from Team USA after Wednesday night's exhibition game against Greece, and Rajon Rondo has no illusions about where he stands.

"I think I'm on the bubble," Rondo said Tuesday. "Just looking at the obvious -- I got a DNP last game. That pretty much speaks for itself."

After losing his job as the starting point guard to Derrick Rose last weekend in Madrid, Rondo's stock has fallen to the point where it now appears he is third on the point guard depth chart behind Rose and Russell Westbrook.

But Rondo is not the lone player on the bubble, a fact Danny Granger acknowledged.

"I just think it really depends on what the coaches want from the team," Granger said at the OAKA Arena after the American team practiced in the very same building where the 2004 Olympic team received their bronze medals. "If we take more of a defensive approach, I could be [on the bubble]. If we take more of an offensive approach, then it's different. It just depends on what they want to do."

Coach Mike Krzyzewski said he will go with the same starting lineup against Greece that he used in Sunday's one-point victory over Spain, using Rose at the point, Chauncey Billups at shooting guard, Kevin Durant at small forward, Andre Iguodala at power forward and Lamar Odom at center.

Coach K also said he would try to give all 13 players some playing time, as long as circumstances permit it.

When pressed on who may or may not be on the bubble, Krzyzewski gave a very strong indication that Stephen Curry is not.

It's not so much what Rajon has to show, it's what our team needs. We've found a good lineup, and the international game is so different from the NBA game, you can ask any of these guys," Krzyzewski said. "Part of it is to make sure that we try not to have two non-shooters out on the court, and there's the physicality, too.

"Derrick right now being with Chauncey is a good [combination], and Stephen, he provides a different thing, because if they are going under [screens] and they keep going under on him, then he has a 3. So it forces another team to change the way they defend our team. So it's things like that, and how we feel strategy-wise what'll be best for the team."

Rondo played poorly (1 of 4, two points, one assist, four turnovers) in the Americans' game against Lithuania on Saturday in which they failed to establish a fast pace and scored just seven points in the first quarter. Rondo and Tyson Chandler were replaced by Rose and Odom in the starting five the following night against Spain.

Rondo's knack for rebounding works in his favor, but his inability to consistently hit jump shots and free throws -- he was 5 of 19 (26 percent) in the NBA Finals -- are two of the factors working against him.

Another is the team's lack of size.

Odom, Chandler and Kevin Love are the only players who play power forward or center on their NBA teams, which has forced the Americans to use Granger, Rudy Gay, and Iguodala at the 4 spot from time to time.

Also, despite the fact that Billups and Curry are playing at shooting guard, both are the primary ballhandlers on their NBA teams, as are Rose, Westbrook and Rondo. And a team with five point guards (along with a sixth guard in Eric Gordon, who has been one of the most consistent players in practice) could be viewed as a team with a key structural flaw.

"I'm confident," said Love, who sat out Sunday night's game against Spain after sustaining a mild concussion the previous night against Lithuania when he tried to draw a charge and banged the back of his head against the floor. "I've been playing well in practice. I'm just hoping I get the opportunity, but I know there's a lot of great players that have a chance to make the [last] spot."

"But as far as the front line, I think a lot of people are saying we're thin. Even the coaches are saying that," Love said.

Whoever gets cut will be notified late Wednesday night after the game against Greece and will be given a one-way plane ticket back to the United States. The remaining 12 players will travel on to Istanbul, where Team USA opens play in the World Championship on Saturday night against Croatia.

"It's what's best for the country," said Rondo, who said his DNP-CD (did not play -- coach's decision) Sunday was his first since his rookie NBA season. "It's part of it. We knew coming in it was still tryouts until we make the team that goes to Turkey."

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN.com.
    Seems as though Granger doesn't care much about defense...
    Last edited by microwave_oven; 08-24-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Default Re: Interesting Quote from DG33 in an ESPN article

Or it means he thinks there are players on the team that are better than him at defense.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I didn't really care for that quote either. Would rather see him take pride in his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or it means he thinks there are players on the team that are better than him at defense.
    Either way it is concerning to me. I would think he would want to make himself the best defensive player, which he has all the tools to do...

I don't really see how this has anything to do with Granger not caring about defense or now wanting to be a better defensive player...
    To me it looks like Granger knows that right now he isn't exactly a defensive stud, and isn't afraid to admit it.
    Nothing about not wanting to be better, though.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    I don't really see how this has anything to do with Granger not caring about defense or now wanting to be a better defensive player...
    To me it looks like Granger knows that right now he isn't exactly a defensive stud, and isn't afraid to admit it.
    Nothing about not wanting to be better, though.
    But he has the makeup to be a great defensive player; he just isn't. This confirms to me that he doesn't have the right attitude or mindset about defense. If he wanted to improve, it seems like he would have said something about needing to be better on defense if that is what the coaches want to do.

Sports Logo

Although it would be nice for him to be on the roster to try to win for Team USA...am I the only one that wouldn't mind if Granger was cut?

I'd rather have him rest then risk any further possible injury.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

If he gets cut, I hope they tell him to work on his defense. If that was the case, then I would like to see him cut.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to microwave_oven For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

First off I'm a huge Pacers fan and will probably get torched for this. But Danny has gotten lazy on D, I remember it reported Danny and Ron battling one on one and Ron admitting Danny's defense was just as good as his (that was old defensive Ron). Danny WAS great on defensive, now he is asked to do more on offensive so he does less on defensive. Some of it is coaching but most of it is the player. I understand taking a couple plays off to kind of rest but Danny has gotten lazy on defense. IMO
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

What sucks, is he was a pretty good defender as he was working his way up in the NBA I thought, in year 2 maybe 3. It's not like he hasn't been a good defender or isn't capable of it. It's a little disheartening to me for him to say that, but i'm old school defense, so ya know.

I mean if he's really resigned to just be a scorer in the league, that kinda changes how I see him.

Now, backing away from the ledge.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

FYI, Rondo has been cut.

WojYahooNBA
    Team USA has cut Celtics guard Rajon Rondo.
    http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/22017784155

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by microwave_oven View Post
    But he has the makeup to be a great defensive player; he just isn't. This confirms to me that he doesn't have the right attitude or mindset about defense. If he wanted to improve, it seems like he would have said something about needing to be better on defense if that is what the coaches want to do.
    I agree. He hasn't had to carry the offensive load for Team USA, yet he's still looked lazy on D.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Granger has been exposed to the philosophy of O'B, where offense is king and defense is an afterthought where FG% and the elusive "deflections" are the primary determining metrics that measure defensive effectiveness. Also, as the star player of the Pacers, Granger is likely instructed to avoid fouls and therefore to spend his energy on offense instead of defense.

It is nice to see that he understands that he is not a defensive player, and that he is being honest about that.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/0...s=iref:nbahpt1

This article says Rondo cut himself.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

The interesting part is cutting rondo... Thought he could have done a better job of guarding the better point guards in the tournament

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This article says Rondo cut himself.....
    Someone should introduce Rondo to electric shavers
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I figured it would be Rondo to get the axe here. His game doesn't really translate well to international play. He still can't shoot from the outside and his defense isn't as valuable because most international point guards don't have the quickness about ability to blow by guys as much as American guys. Plus, the team was really guard heavy and Granger, if need be, can spot you some minutes at the four.

If i was Rondo I'd cut myself from the team too.

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    First off I'm a huge Pacers fan and will probably get torched for this. But Danny has gotten lazy on D, I remember it reported Danny and Ron battling one on one and Ron admitting Danny's defense was just as good as his (that was old defensive Ron). Danny WAS great on defensive, now he is asked to do more on offensive so he does less on defensive. Some of it is coaching but most of it is the player. I understand taking a couple plays off to kind of rest but Danny has gotten lazy on defense. IMO
    In the NBA many wing players who are studs offensively take breaks on the defensive end. They do it in order to keep their energy for offense. There are not too many players who can dominate on both ends. Those are the truly great players.
    we will be known forever by the tracks we leave

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmpfm1 View Post
    In the NBA many wing players who are studs offensively take breaks on the defensive end. They do it in order to keep their energy for offense. There are not too many players who can dominate on both ends. Those are the truly great players.
    I hear ya.

That says to me that Danny's inability to be great and dominate on both ends is not a matter of tools and the gifts he has received. It's a matter of the will.

That's disappointing.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

30. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mmpfm1 View Post
    I think that is a lame excuse for not wanting to put forth the necessary effort. Come on Danny.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Did he take a lot of offense to getting benched and not starting the past couple games? I'm not shocked and I think it's good that he was let go. He's a very poor fit for the international game.

Westbrook easily replaces his defense, and Rose out classes him in pretty much every way on the offensive end.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Did he take a lot of offense to getting benched and not starting the past couple games? I'm not shocked and I think it's good that he was let go. He's a very poor fit for the international game.

Westbrook easily replaces his defense, and Rose out classes him in pretty much every way on the offensive end.
    Plus, Westbrook can move over to the two spot, whereas Rondo cannot. Rondo plays a frenetic game. He isn't controlled. He is amazingly athletic, which is how he excels at this point in his career. He clearly has a lot to work on with his game. He was the last person cut and I feel there are worse athletes on the team, but he is the worst fundamental basketball player and that doesn't fit well in the international game. Rondo is still a very good PG. He just has a lot to work on still.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

It must have been all those solid fundamentals that attracted us to Shawne Williams.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    It must have been all those solid fundamentals that attracted us to Shawne Williams.

It was his smooth athleticism that was so attractive. The same smooth athleticism that Paul George displays. At the time, Rondo had plenty of knocks against him coming into the draft. I loved his ball handling and huge hands though. Rondo still has yet to prove he has a consistent jump shot and he still turns the ball over a lot.

We made a similar move as Boston when they drafted Rondo four picks later. There were concerns over both players, which is why they were looking to being drafted that late. Rondo just isn't a head case. Shawne Williams never had a chance to be successful because he was and still is ignorant. Rondo has had some great veterans to look up to and was smart enough to listen and change himself. Shawne still drives around getting high and expects not to get pulled over in an Escalade with 24 inch rims with smoke pouring out the windows and music blaring. Exemplary of his career.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post: