Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/...ory?id=5493184

    Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA

    Associated Press
    ATHENS, Greece -- The U.S. national basketball team finalized its roster for the world championships when Boston Celtics star Rajon Rondo asked to withdraw from consideration.

    Rondo had started the Americans' first two exhibition games, then surprisingly didn't play at all Sunday when the U.S. edged Spain.

    The final 12-man roster set Tuesday includes: Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, Rudy Gay, Lamar Odom, Chauncey Billups, Danny Granger, Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon, Stephen Curry, Kevin Love, Tyson Chandler and Andre Iguodala.

    Coach Mike Krzyzewski's team has one more tuneup against Greece on Wednesday. The world championships start Saturday in Turkey and run through Sept. 12.
    -------------------

    This means for me that the games will be worth watching since Danny's on the team.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 08-24-2010 at 02:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Member makaveli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Age
    41
    Posts
    184

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    I'm guessing "withdraw" ought to be in quotation marks for some reason.

  3. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Would team USA tell Rondo that either he can 'withdraw" or be cut??

  4. #4
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,598

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    I'm a bit baffled by this. While I understand Rondo was certainly up for being cut, it could have just as easily been Curry or Gordon, though Coach K likes Curry a lot.

    Regardless, glad to see Danny made it now!

  5. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    I did read an article (On Hoopshype.com) where Rondo seemed a little concerned about the long NBA season and then playing in the summer and then another long NBA season.

    Remember Rondo played 24 playoff games (which IMO equals about 40 regular season games) so compared to Danny, Rondo played almost another 1/3 of a season.

  6. #6
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did read an article (On Hoopshype.com) where Rondo seemed a little concerned about the long NBA season and then playing in the summer and then another long NBA season.

    Remember Rondo played 24 playoff games (which IMO equals about 40 regular season games) so compared to Danny, Rondo played almost another 1/3 of a season.
    Yeah, but why would he go through all the tryouts, travelling, friendlies etc... only to withdraw a day before the decision was supposedly due? I think, like you say, it's just a tactic to save some face.

  7. #7
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,073

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Rondo certainly shouldn't have been in a position to be cut. Maybe he was told his role was going to be reduced and asked out.

    That really, really hurts their press. He was the best defensive player on the whole team.

  8. #8
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    I don't see the drop from Rondo to Westbrook as that much of a hit defensively.

    I also think Rose is light years ahead of Rondo offensively.

    The writing was on the wall for Rondo when he got moved to the bench IMO.

    I don't think it hurts us that much, but then again I've seen Rondo as the odd man out on this team for some time. His game doesn't translate that well to the international game and his truly elite skills (athleticism and defense) are replicated elsewhere on this team.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  9. #9
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,073

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    It's a hit because now you can't play them both at once.

    And no, Rose is not light years ahead of Rondo. Rondo can run a damn team. Rose still tries to dominate everything.

    Rondo doesn't translate to the international game how, exactly? Ever heard of Pepe Sanchez? Not being a good shooter doesn't automatically mean you can't play the FIBA style.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-24-2010 at 03:49 PM.

  10. #10
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rondo certainly shouldn't have been in a position to be cut. Maybe he was told his role was going to be reduced and asked out.

    That really, really hurts their press. He was the best defensive player on the whole team.
    Agreed. I'm surprised too but Westbrook has played just as good defensively and probably got the nod due to being a slightly better shooter.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  11. #11
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Which IMO Kstat is something this team needs offensively right now, another guy beyond Durant, who will say give me the damn ball and get the hell outta the way, I'm gonna blow by this guy and score. Rose can do that, I don't think that's Rondo's style.

    Billups can run the team.

    Only time will tell, admittedly it's an incredibly tough decision on who to cut since the guard stable on this team is so absurdly deep, and you're two most inexperienced/lowest regarded guys (Curry and Gordon) happen to be perfect fits for the international game.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  12. #12
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Weird, Spears is/was reporting on twitter that Rondo got cut. Looks like Rondo was on the bubble, so maybe he was just saving face before he was cut.





    Team USA announces it cuts Celtics guard Rajon Rondo from World Championship roster. Rondo didn't play in last exhibition in Spain. about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck Retweeted by 22 people

    SpearsNBAYahoo












    http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/22017827574

  13. #13
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a hit because now you can't play them both at once.

    And no, Rose is not light years ahead of Rondo. Rondo can run a damn team. Rose still tries to dominate everything.

    Rondo doesn't translate to the international game how, exactly? Ever heard of Pepe Sanchez? Not being a good shooter doesn't automatically mean you can't play the FIBA style.
    You also touched on this during the Lith game and I still agree with you, but if I could pick anyone to cut out of the 13 it would probably be Idoudala, but for some reason he appears to have had a guaranteed spot.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  15. #14
    PROUD 2 B A PACERS FAN! xtacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TURKEY
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,748

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also think Rose is light years ahead of Rondo offensively.
    i watched rose against spain. if he plays like the way he played in this game he will just hurt usa. he is just out of control. he passes his man but when help comes from the other defenders he gets stuck. if he does that in the tournament he can easily lead offensive fouls. in nba rose is better but when they play european basketball rondo is the better choice.

  16. #15
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    We don't beat Spain without Rose. I'm not sure what game you were watching.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  18. #16

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but why would he go through all the tryouts, travelling, friendlies etc... only to withdraw a day before the decision was supposedly due? I think, like you say, it's just a tactic to save some face.
    If you read the article in this thread, I think you'll find your answer. Essentially, too many PGs/Guards, not enough height/versatility in the front-court.

  19. #17
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,073

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    How would you even know that? Rondo didn't even play. They didn't use several players.

  20. #18

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Team USA will be lucky to win bronze.

  21. #19
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,129

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't beat Spain without Rose. I'm not sure what game you were watching.
    Agreed. Although he can make better decisions with the basketball. After he beats his man, he's decision making is poor.

    He can beat his man whenever he wants. His ability to get to top speed, and change directions is amazing. There's no way the defender can stay in front of him. His pull up 3, and that little floater after his jumpstop need to go though, IMHO. He can get those whenever he wants, he doesn't need to take them whenever he has the chance. He needs to be a little more picky on what shots he settles for.

  22. #20
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Team USA will be lucky to win bronze.
    Oh, this is so going in my signature.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  23. #21
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,073

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Team USA will be lucky to win bronze.
    Name 3 better teams. I would LOVE to hear this.

  24. #22

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Czechoslovakia
    Mauritania
    Bhutan

  25. #23

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    I think Rondo's one of the best PGs in the NBA. But he is a poor fit for the international game. Although to be honest, Rose and Westbrook are too. ( Curry's the best option)

  26. #24
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Quote Originally Posted by dannygranger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Czechoslovakia
    Mauritania
    Bhutan
    Czechoslovakia's lack of existence is really gonna hurt their chances. On the other hand, they do have more size than we do.
    2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

  27. #25
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,527
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rajon Rondo withdraws from Team USA. (Means Danny made team)

    Honestly, I'd feel more comfortable with the ball in Rondo's hands rather than Rose. I think Rondo's more likely to find the open guy and Rose is more likely to go on his own and take a bad shot. JMO

    I like Curry's overall style of game better than any of the PG's.

    I'd rather have seen Iguodala or Gordon cut.

    Overall I've not been impressed by Team USA's play, I would not be surprised if they get beat.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Similar Threads

  1. Chad Ford's Mock 6.0 6/22/10 ROUND ONE
    By Chuck Chillout in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
  2. The PD NBA Draft - #6 Minnesota
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 08:24 PM
  3. The PD NBA Draft - Selection #8 - Milwaukee
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 10:44 PM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 7
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 01:46 AM
  5. Michael Wilbon has some great articles (two inside)
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 08:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •