View Poll Results: Based on what we have so far, who would you like to see starting at SG in our first games?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brandon Rush

98 74.81%
  • James Posey

1 0.76%
  • Mike Dunleavy

12 9.16%
  • Paul George

14 10.69%
  • Dahntay Jones

6 4.58%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting SG spot

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Starting SG spot

Obviously Danny is locked in as our starting SF, but what about the SG.

Brandon Rush
    James Posey
    Mike Dunleavy
    Paul George
    Dahntay Jones

Default Re: Starting SG spot

posey

I think Brandon's just as locked in as Danny is right now.

The only competitor would be the 2007 Mike Dunleavy, but even if the 2007 Mike Dunleavy still existed, he'd be better served coming off the bench and vying for the 6th man of the year award.

We need 2 things out of our starting SG at this point: above average defense and the ability to space the floor. No other SG on our roster provides that right now.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

There is only one open starting spot on the team right now: PF.

If JO'B had to pick an opening day starting lineup, I'd put money on this one:

Collison
    Rush
    Dunleavy
    Granger
    Hibbert
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rush will start, but I think he'll be supplanted by the end of the season by a healthy Dunleavy, or next season by Paul George.

If things stay the way they are, my guess is actually that Danny will start at PF

I honestly think end of game lineups are quite often going to be Collison, Price, Rush, Granger, Hibbert

Starting lineup might be that or Collison, Rush, Dun, Granger, Hibbert (perhaps Foster)

Why?

Jimmy likes small ball (duh)
    He doesn't like rookies (duh)
    We don't know if Tyler will be ready to play starters minutes, and I doubt we'll be playing Josh starters minutes Meaning Danny will get the lions share of the minutes there
    Posey and Jones can't shoot..so that leaves either Dun, Rush..our actual wings, at the two wing spots..or we could play small ball..(ugh)
    Last edited by Sookie; 08-22-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Collison
    Rush
    Dunleavy
    Granger
    Hibbert
    I think you are correct about that, and given the uncertainty at PF it's tough to argue against that lineup even though I greatly dislike seeing Granger at PF just as I disliked O'Neal at C (I was worried about long term injury problems playing against naturally larger and stronger opponents).

If Tyler is healthy, I'd plug him in at PF, slide Granger back to SF where he should be, and have Dunleavy lead the second unit with AJ Price.

Collison/ Price/ ..................................Ford
    Rush/ Dunleavy/ George
    Granger/ D. Jones/ George
    Hans/ McRoberts/ Rolle
    Hibbert/ Foster/ Rolle

So is everyone here basically under the assumption that Lance isn't a part of our plans going forward??

I'm certainly not saying he should start, but even if he isn't ready now at the beginning of the season, well neither will AJ Price. I'm just confused by all of the lineup projections I'm seeing.

Now, assuming he gets NO jail time, I could actually see the kid out there for us this year. He is a great talent, and at the end of the day we need that. Do we need baggage players with stupid pasts and behavioral problems? Heck no, but I'm wanting to give him a second chance simply because I salivate when I think of the player he could be. Can't believe I'm the only one here like this.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squirrelz For This Useful Post:

assuming everyone is healthy, Rush is starting at SG (for the beginning of the season). There is a chance that George could start near the end of the season
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I'm really excited to see Rush with an upgrade at PG. No one is seriously contending for his spot. That may change pretty quickly, though.

I think it is more likely that a healthy Price stars over Collison than Rush starting on the bench.

There's a lot of factors involved. I'd like to see Rush to start the season, just to see his mentality to start the season with Collison. I want Rush to be successful.

I think a healthy Dunleavy will be a nice spark off the bench, and a nice player to have on the floor with Paul George given his basketball IQ.

If Rush is the same ole Rush, then I think you try Paul George and see what you have with him at the SG for the future

I hope Rush is as encouraged as we are in Collison's words
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

I'm excited about the defensive potential of a Rush/Collison backcourt.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    There is only one open starting spot on the team right now: PF.

Collison
    Rush
    Dunleavy
    Granger
    Hibbert
    If Dunleavy is 100%, that is the best lineup.

If we face a bigger frontline, and Tyler is healthy, I would go with this:

Collison
    Rush
    Granger
    Hans
    Hibbert

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelz View Post
    So is everyone here basically under the assumption that Lance isn't a part of our plans going forward??

I'm certainly not saying he should start, but even if he isn't ready now at the beginning of the season, well neither will AJ Price. I'm just confused by all of the lineup projections I'm seeing.

Now, assuming he gets NO jail time, I could actually see the kid out there for us this year. He is a great talent, and at the end of the day we need that. Do we need baggage players with stupid pasts and behavioral problems? Heck no, but I'm wanting to give him a second chance simply because I salivate when I think of the player he could be. Can't believe I'm the only one here like this.

Management will go on and on about how they want to clean up the roster. And how they want character guys on the team. But the bottom line is we need talented players. He has not yet been convicted of any crime. We assume he is guilty because he has a history of being an idiot and the pacers have a history of having idiot players.
    Larry bird is a smart man. His reputation stands to be damaged the most if we cut ties with LS and he ends up becoming a great player in the league. Comparatively, if we hold on to him and he continues to be a malcontent the pacers can cut ties with him after his contract runs out. I think its worthwhile to hold on to this guy for a while.
    we will be known forever by the tracks we leave

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I'm excited about the defensive potential of a Rush/Collison backcourt.
    I always thought Collison wasnt a good defender. I read this piece:

Defensively is where Collison has his biggest problems. He makes Allen Iverson look fat – and unlike mighty mouse Chris Paul, he’s also not physically strong at all. That leaves him to be exploited terribly in post ups, and because of his lightness, a good screen or series of screens can take him out the picture on defense despite his recovery speed.
    http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.co...m-blockbuster/
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Lance has made himself one of the biggest question marks on the team. That's his doing, not ours.

I really don't know what will happen with him, and nor do you, so it shouldn't be that shocking that we're not all anticipating the future of the Pacers revolving around him. I'm dislike this situation as much as anyone else. It sickens me that things were going so well and something like this happens.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I stated this elsewhere and I'll throw it out here again for discussion:

maybe for the sake of Rush's development, he should come off the bench as a 6th man until he can demonstrate that he can play consistently, which would help his confidence for the long-term and help him get to his March/April form quicker and thus, start Dunleavy at SG in the meantime.

I really like this guy. He sounds so much better than TJ it's not funny. He knows how to run an offense, has leadership skills and can shoot the rock under pressure. It's good to have a PG who can shoot...

"As a team leader, Collison was remarkable. He was barking commands to veterans like Okafor and David West from the start of the season. On more than one occasion I saw him get on teammates for not being where they were supposed to be. He’s intelligent, knows how to get a team into its offense, and it shows. He’s also cold-blooded. He had two game-winning shots last season, and another three that put a nail in a run the other team was making to come back. He doesn’t shy from that big shot – and he has a decent track record of making it.

In the end, I feel Collison will be an exciting-as-hell, explosive scorer in the mold of Tony Parker, and most nights will outscore his opponent. At the same time, I’d also expect his opponent to regularly score more than is usual."

Source: Eight Points, Nine Seconds
    Author: Tim Donahue
    http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.co...m-blockbuster/

Mood

On 82games.com, there's a player's clutchness, which has Collsion fairly high: #23 last year.

http://www.82games.com/0910/CSORT11.HTM

Dunleavy's ideal positiion = Sixth Man
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Dunleavy's ideal positiion = Sixth Man
    Dun has shown in the past that he doesn't do well coming off the bench.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    On 82games.com, there's a player's clutchness, which has Collsion fairly high: #23 last year.

http://www.82games.com/0910/CSORT11.HTM
    Dwade is more clutch than lebron dont know where they get lebron is so clutch from

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'd put Dunleavy right in there with Lance.

Lance is not being discussed for obvious reasons. He may be in jail rather than available for shooting guard.

But Dunleavy needs to stay off these lists as well until it's determined he is no longer inhabited by little league aliens and can actually play ball again at the NBA level.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown