Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darren Collison: “I want to make the playoffs this year”

Thumbs up Darren Collison: “I want to make the playoffs this year”

Darren Collison: “I want to make the playoffs this year”

August 20, 2010 – 9:50 am by Chris Fedor

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/201...year%E2%80%9D/

When Chris Paul got injured last season in New Orleans it opened up the door for Darren Collison to get his chance at starting. He took the job and ran with it. Collison quickly became one of the best rookies in the NBA and showed that he can be legitimate starting point guard in the league. After the Hornets talked with Chris Paul and seemingly worked out a way to keep him in the Big Easy, it made Collison more expendable.

The Hornets dealt away the promising young point guard in a four-team trade that brought Trevor Ariza to New Orleans to play on the wing with Chris Paul and Collison landed in Indiana. The Pacers have been looking for a promising, young starting point guard to match up with guys like Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Jameer Nelson, and some of the top point guards in the Eastern Conference and now it looks like Indiana has their point guard for the next decade or so. Collison is still relatively unproven and will have to build on his rookie season, but he’s still going to be just 23 years old when the season starts and has the look of a top point guard in the league.

Darren Collison joined 1070 the Fan in Indianapolis with the Ride and JMV to talk about how he feels to be a Pacer right now, how healthy he is right now, whether or not he was motivated last year by being passed up a number of times in the NBA Draft, whether or not he thought he would get traded to Indiana, what he learned from Chris Paul during his time in New Orleans, and what his goals are for this season.

On what is it that he injured and how significant it is:

“It’s nothing broken. It’s just fractured. I will be ready to go before training camp. It’s just a slow process right now. It’s not a real cast over it. It’s just a cautionary thing over it that keeps me healing the right way.”

On whether or not he was motivated because he slid in the NBA Draft:

“Yeah definitely it was a motivation tool for me. Anytime you get to play against teams that pass you up, you definitely want to take it personal. That’s something I thrive on, that’s something that fuels me, and it fueled me for my first year to prove to people that I can play this game.”

On whether he thought he would be traded to Indiana and when he first heard about them having an interest:

“I actually thought I got traded there earlier in the summer, but I guess my GM told me it was a rumor or something like that. I thought I got traded to Indiana. Indiana was in great talks to try and get me there. I really didn’t pay too much attention to it because at the end of the day it was just rumors and you really don’t know too much about it until it actually goes through.”

On how much it helped him being in New Orleans with Chris Paul:

“Yeah. You know when I first got there playing against Chris who is one of the best players in the NBA in my eyes, in order to get better I knew I had to compete against him so I could thrive on that. I knew I was going to get better myself in years to come. I definitely had that experience to come with me and little did I know I would get traded to a team that I got to eventually take control and have those same qualities that Chris had with his team and try to develop those qualities myself too. I can never be like Chris Paul, I can never be like Deron Williams, or Steve Nash. I can have my own experience but definitely is a learning tool to learn from those guys.”

On what he has to do to get Indiana going back in the right direction:

“I think it starts with me and the other core players of this team. I think we have to understand what our goals are for this team and it starts in training camp. We all have to be on the same page, we all have to make sure we’re gelling together, and we all got to compete in practice and make sure whatever coach is asking for it gets done. Once that’s happening, as the season goes on, it will take care of itself. I think we have a lot of good things to look forward to, but I want to make the playoffs this year. I don’t want to wait. I don’t want to do none of that. I don’t want to talk about it, and I wanna work hard to make the playoffs this year. I think this city and this organization deserves it.”

Listen to Darren Collison on 1070 the Fan in Indy here ----> http://media.1070thefan.com/Podcasts/1632/Collison.mp3
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Darren Collison: “I want to make the playoffs this year”

I like this guy...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to focused444 For This Useful Post:

I really think we are going to be the surprise team out of the East this year, I'm looking for a 6th seed.

shouldnt all players want to make the playoffs every year?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I think they all do, but Collison might be one of those players who wants it more. Every team needs a guy like that. Those sleepy Granger performances that I hate so much are the exact type of thing I expect to see less of this year. Granted, I don't know a lot about Collison, but he seems like the type of player who "gets up" for any game on any night. To have that coming from the PG position a double bonus.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to focused444 For This Useful Post:

I stuck my neck out and had the Pacers at #7 before the trade. Now I'm much more confident in that prediction. Pacers should be in the playoffs. It's nice to hear Collison talking this way. Hopefully the rest of the team will have the same goal and the same attitude.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Collison is expressing the early signs of leadership. I really look forward to seeing what he can do in that department.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

I had league pass, and Chris Paul is my favorite non Pacer player. So I watched a lot of Hornet games and I love, love Collisons game. This is going to be fun to watch.

I just didn't realize I'd like his personality and how he carries himself this well. End of October can't get here fast enough.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I had league pass, and Chris Paul is my favorite non Pacer player. So I watched a lot of Hornet games and I love, love Collisons game. This is going to be fun to watch.

I just didn't realize I'd like his personality and how he carries himself this well. End of October can't get here fast enough.
    heck, even the beginning of October (preseason) can't come fast enough!!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

Mood

Every summer the Pacers try to sell to the fans they are going to make the playoffs. I'll get excited come February if there is still playoff talk.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bridge For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
    Every summer the Pacers try to sell to the fans they are going to make the playoffs. I'll get excited come February if there is still playoff talk.
    I didn't hear anyone trying to sell anything. I heard DC saying that he would like to make the playoffs. All of our players should want the same, and there is nothing wrong with that. I guess if you want to wait for the fair weather before getting excited then that is your right.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Mood

I like his humility in saying he'll never be CP3 or Nash or the others, but with enough hard work he can reach that level. I like that he sets his aim high, too.

Let's just get to the season so we can quit listening to stuff and actually see evidence on the court.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I think that DC2 will play a similar role as a Pacer , that Chris Paul does as a Hornet..
    First off , Collison knows how to play in a P.G. dominant system.. Which by all means , in my opinion .. is a much harder/higher rewarding system for a good to elite point guard to be in, and learn .. It requires/allows the point guard to have a more active "quarterback" -type playmaking/leadership role ..

So by him playing in that type of system , and having Chris Paul as a mentor as well as his competition in workouts , practices , and scrimmages since he was drafted ...Darren couldn't have been put in ANY better position in the NBA, to succeed as a p.g. than the opportunity he had growing as a player with the Hornets and CP3.. -- and now to the Pacers.... with a pretty much guaranteed starting spot where he will have a chance to lead the team and run the show ..

The question , is if maybe he left a little too soon... or if it was the perfect time for him to be traded to Indiana, and be given the great responsibilities of being able to be "the man", and lead our team to wins.... and ultimately(hopefully) deep into the Playoffs ..

I think he is gonna come out bloodthirsty, and really play his a$$ off ...

I forsee , myself seeing him show flashes of eliteness throughout the season , as he grows as a player and as a teammate with our young , talented core..

I really am excited for the pre-season to start .. I think that this is gonna be one of the most fun seasons we have had in a very very long time ..

Last edited by Kemo; 08-22-2010 at 04:44 AM.
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.

Just imagine if you will ..........

A healthy , and very basketball hungry Tyler Hansbrough ... being dished dimes by DC2 on a consistant basis ..

I know it has been awhile since anyone, including myself , has had a healthy does of Psycho-T ..

Tyler Hansbrough's Top 3 Dunks

Last edited by Kemo; 08-22-2010 at 04:53 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

The addition of DC is going to be a great help. But it won't be enough to get the pacers into the playoffs this year. The East is loaded with talent. The pacers will need one or two more years before they make the playoffs unless they trade for a big man who can score in the post.
    we will be known forever by the tracks we leave

I'm excited for the season now that we've made this trade.

This will be a playoff year and we will have more wins than losses.

Darren is the missing piece to our playoff puzzle and a healthy Tyler at PF, there's no reason to miss the playoffs. Even if JOB is the head coach.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    yep, unless they are Dunleavy and Murphy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mmpfm1 View Post
    The addition of DC is going to be a great help. But it won't be enough to get the pacers into the playoffs this year. The East is loaded with talent. The pacers will need one or two more years before they make the playoffs unless they trade for a big man who can score in the post.
    You're right.
    If only we had a 7' low post threat like Roy Hibbert we would be in the playoffs for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    yep, unless they are Dunleavy and Murphy
    Come on, that's not fair...I've always had respect for Murphleavy. They both gave their best for our team and represent(ed) the franchise in a classy way. It's the contracts that make their game look bad.
    Thank you Jeff.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to 31andonly For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Just imagine if you will ..........

A healthy , and very basketball hungry Tyler Hansbrough ... being dished dimes by DC2 on a consistant basis ..

I know it has been awhile since anyone, including myself , has had a healthy does of Psycho-T ..

Those can't be real. Don't you know that big white guys can't jump?
    Plenty here will tell you that he's just not good enough.
    Muscle and massive heart (and 36" vertical at 250lbs) can never make up for his lack of "smooth street moves" that seem to pass for "who's a player" criteria these days.
    If he can't shake and bake, he can't be effective in the NBA.
    Don't you KNOW that????????????

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    Those can't be real. Don't you know that big white guys can't jump?
    Plenty here will tell you that he's just not good enough.
    Muscle and massive heart (and 36" vertical at 250lbs) can never make up for his lack of "smooth street moves" that seem to pass for "who's a player" criteria these days.
    If he can't shake and bake, he can't be effective in the NBA.
    Don't you KNOW that????????????

Yeah, I didn't see a bunch of pretty moves, but I saw a lot of determination and heart. And a lot of domination. The good thing about Hansborough is that it won't be the most beautiful thing in the world, but Pacers fans are going to love his game.

Mood

I REALLY hope Tyler can stay healthy this year. I feel like he's the guy this team needs at PF. I also like to see guys succeed against the odds and the hate, especially when they're wearing blue & gold as they do it.

I'm really excited to see a line-up of

DC
    Rush
    Granger
    Hans
    Hibbert

with Price, George, McBob, Foster, Lance, and Jr coming off the bench. That looks like a team that can make the playoffs this year, and for years after.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I REALLY hope Tyler can stay healthy this year. I feel like he's the guy this team needs at PF. I also like to see guys succeed against the odds and the hate, especially when they're wearing blue & gold as they do it.

DC
    Rush
    Granger
    Hans
    Hibbert

with Price, George, McBob, Foster ----- and Jr coming off the bench. That looks like a team that can make the playoffs this year, and for years after.

--pizza
    FIXED
    Thank you Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post

DC
    Rush
    Granger
    Hans
    Hibbert

with Price, George, McBob, Foster, Lance, and Jr coming off the bench. That looks like a team that can make the playoffs this year, and for years after.

--pizza
    wait...who is Jr?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    wait...who is Jr?
    Mike Dunleavy....Jr.