Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WNBA Eastern Conference Playoff Picture

Hybrid View

Default WNBA Eastern Conference Playoff Picture

It's getting messy out there, ladies and gentlemen! Although the top four EC playoff teams have been identified - Fever, NY Liberty, Wash Mistiques and ATL Dream - except for the Dream it's still unsure exactly where the remaining 3 teams will fall in the playoff picture. Below is a run down of the various scenarios. So, pay very close attention. It's very tricky!

Fever
    Current Overall Record: 21-11
    Current Conf. Standing: 13-9
    # Games Remaining: 2
    # EC Games Remaining: 0
    # WC Games Remaining: 2 (Silver Stars/Linkx)
    Best Overall Record Attainable: 23-11
    Worst Overall Record Attainable: 21-13
    Best Conf. Record Attainable: 13-9
    Best Possible Seeding: 1st
    Worse Possible Seeding: 3rd

Liberty
    Current Overall Record: 21-11
    Current Conf. Standing: 13-7
    # EC Games Remaining: 2 (Mystics/Sun)
    # WC Games Remaining: 0
    Best Overall Record Attainable: 23-11
    Worse Overall Record Attainable: 21-13
    Best Conf. Record Attainable: 15-7
    Worst Conf. Record Attainable: 13-9
    Worse Possible Seeding: 2rd

Mystics
    Current Overall Record: 20-12
    Current Conf. Standing: 11-9
    # EC Games Remaining: 0
    # WC Games Remaining: 2 (Liberty/Dream)
    Best Overall Record Attainable: 22-12
    Worst Overall Record Attainable: 20-14
    Best Conf. Record Attainable: 13-9
    Worst Conf. Record Attainable: 11-11
    Worse Possible Seeding: 3rd

Dream
    Current Overall Record: 19-14
    Current Conf. Standing: 10-11
    # Games Remaining: 1
    # EC Games Remaining: 1 (Mystics)
    # WC Games Remaining: 0
    Best Overall Record Attainable: 20-14
    Worse Overall Record Attainable: 19-15
    Best Conf. Record Attainable: 11-11
    Worst Conf. Record Attainable: 10-12
    Best Possible Seeding: 4th
    Worse Possible Seeding: 4th

Possible scenarios for Fever & Liberty:
    (1) If the Liberty loss 1 game and the Fever and Mystics win out the season, the Fever would hold 1st place outright, the Liberty 2nd by virtue of having a better conference record over the Mystics (Fever 14-8; Mystics 13-9), and the Mystics would hold 3rd place.
    (2) If the Liberty and Mystics win out the season and the Fever loss 1 game, the Liberty would hold 1st place, the Mystics would hold 2nd place and the Fever would drop to 3rd because the Mystics have the better regular season record (2-1) against the Fever.
    (3) If the Fever, Liberty and Mystics win their remaining games, the Liberty would have 1st place by virtue of having the best conference record (15-7), the Fever would hold 2nd place by having the better regular season record (23-11) and the Mystics would hold 3rd place.
    (4) If the Fever and Liberty win their remaining games and the Mystics lose 1 game, the Liberty would hold 1st place, the Fever 2nd place and the Mistiques 3rd place.
    (5) If Mystics win their remaining games, and both the Fever and Liberty lose their remaining games, the Mystics would hold 1st place and determination of 2nd and 3rd place would likely come down to which team between the Fever and Liberty had the best overall point totals since both teams would have identical overall and conference records (23-11) and both teams split their regular season wins (2-2).
    (6) If the Liberty, Mystics and Fever split their remaining games, the Liberty, Fever and Mystics would hold 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, respectively, because the Liberty would have the better conference record (14-8) and the Fever would have the better regular season record (22-12) over the Mystics (21-13).

The best the Dream can do is 4th place even if they won their remaining game and the Mystics lost their remaining 2games and the two teams tied for the regular season (20-14) because the Mystics would hold the regular season head-to-head tie-breaker (2-1).

Did you get all of that? A win or a lose by the Fever, Liberty or Mystics could alter the playoff picture dramatically!
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 08-20-2010 at 11:31 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NuffSaid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: WNBA Eastern Conference Playoff Picture

[Anthem]

Minor nitpick: It's the Washington Mystics.

[/Anthem]

Duly noted and corrected.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NuffSaid For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bam!

One loss and we go from 1st to 3rd (3 way tie for 1st). We're lucky NY lost too.

Sunday is a big day, all three teams in action. If we win and they lose we get 1st place back. Let's hope for that because all other scenarios are complicated and don't leave us in 1st! I could live with 2nd but am scared of ending up in the 3rd slot facing a 1st round match-up with NY and Cappie with 2 of 3 games on their home floor.

The Eastern Conference is crazy cakes. The Sun could end up above or at .500 and not get in the playoffs while everyone except Seattle is well under .500 in the West.
    Last edited by gummy; 08-21-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

You got it, gummy. I ran those scenarios and was amazed at the number of combinations I came up with. The Fever hand the #1 seed all but raped up until they lost to the Liberty and the Sun as the season came down to the wire. I just hope they win tomorrow and both the Liberty and Mystics lose tomorrow. Otherwise, if either one of them win, 2nd place is as far up they could go....could. (See scenario #5)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bam!

One loss and we go from 1st to 3rd (3 way tie for 1st). We're lucky NY lost too.

Sunday is a big day, all three teams in action. If we win and they lose we get 1st place back. Let's hope for that because all other scenarios are complicated and don't leave us in 1st! I could live with 2nd but am scared of ending up in the 3rd slot facing a 1st round match-up with NY and Cappie with 2 of 3 games on their home floor.

The Eastern Conference is crazy cakes. The Sun could end up above or at .500 and not get in the playoffs while everyone except Seattle is well under .500 in the West.
    Remember what I said when the Cappie to NY trade went down?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    That...

...or it puts the Liberty on the path to unseat us in the East.
    ...yeah...

Darn! I left out the 7th scenario:

If the Mystics win out the season, the Liberty split and the Fever lose their remaining games, the teams will be seeded 1, 2 and 3.

Didn't see that one coming at all!

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

so what's the playoff picture looking like right now??

Grown Man Ball

Mood

Yeah, Shade. I do remember. And after last night's *** kicking it looks like you may be right. I was hoping it would take NY a full year to gel...I feel so bad for Tamika Catchings. It sure feels like she'll go down in history as the best player in the history of the WNBA to never win a title or a regular season MVP.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Yeah gotta feel bad for Catch. I have a feeling she'll be ready to play Sunday. Verdict is still out on everybody else *cough* Katie Douglas *cough*

woman without a team

In Katie's defense she is playing with a sprained ankle.

Mood

I don't know Grace - I've loved Katie since her Purdue days but it seems to me that she tends to shrink a little in the post season, injured or not. Catch has had a nagging knee injury for most of the season, everyone has something going on at this time of year.

Anyway, the Fever are clicking on all cylinders at the moment in game 2. Up 21 to 8 at the start of the 2nd quarter. The Fever have out-rebounded the Liberty by 6 so far - when we rebound we win games, simple as that.

Mood

Wooooo, fireworks!

Catch set a helluva pick on Cappie, Pondexter took offense and slammed into Catchings hard, got called for the foul.

Mood

Great hustle by Katie tonight. Making us Perry grads proud.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Great hustle by Katie tonight. Making us Perry grads proud.
    Yep. Her shot is still off but the energy is there - she's done a decent job on Cappie and has been a facilitator tonight.

Interesting how almost none of the games in the playoffs so far have been particularly close.

On to Game 3.

Fever need a good start in New York. Can't have the turnovers. I think game 3 will be a nail biter.

Sports Logo

We brought the intensity tonight and we need to set the tone early in NY.

One thing for concern is how we let up towards the end. I hope that doesn't carry over into game 3.

I love Catch getting into both Cappie and Carson. That stiff arm by Carson that sent Catch tumbling got her really fired up. On the next couple possessions she got physical with Carson and knocked her off her rhythm a little bit. Then when Cappie came over, I thought I read Catch's lips say, "Are you serious?" Almost like, "I'm built like a brick wall. What are you doing trying to knock me over? Don't hurt yourself." I enjoyed that very much.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    Then when Cappie came over, I thought I read Catch's lips say, "Are you serious?" Almost like, "I'm built like a brick wall. What are you doing trying to knock me over? Don't hurt yourself." I enjoyed that very much.
    lol. That's what I read her saying too - and Cappie wisely turned around and walked away. I giggled like a schoolgirl.

Mood

It's game 3 versus NY and the Fever are up by 3 points at the end of the 3rd quarter!

It's been an intense game.

Mood

Tough loss, we had our chances.

They need rebounding, Cappie was a badass last year and even moreso this year.

Mood

Yep, need rebounding for sure and Cappie hit a crazy shot.

Sometimes I hate being right.