View Poll Results: Trade Danny Granger to Denver for Carmelo Anthony

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! WHY NOT?

53 44.92%
  • NO...I LIKE WHAT WE HAVE NOW

65 55.08%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question: Will you trade Danny Granger to Denver for Carmelo Anthony?

Default Re: Question: Will you trade Danny Granger to Denver for Carmelo Anthony?

Some people fail to remember that the season before last, Danny averaged more points per game than 'Melo , at a very similar shooting%, whilst being the center of the defense's attention on a much worse team.

Danny was what - 5th in the league in scoring in 08-09? That's an elite level scorer. Danny can create his own shot.

Now last year was a down year for him. Injuries and a team in disarray helped cause that. Also a coach that encourages him to launch 3-balls at every opportunity hurts his game.

I'm not saying Danny is better than 'Melo, I think it'd be pretty close with either on this team. However I much prefer Danny's demeanor, maturity, personality and commitment to the Pacers. Danny's the guy for this team in my book.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacerDU For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Question: Will you trade Danny Granger to Denver for Carmelo Anthony?

For me, I would not trade Danny for Melo straight up right now, simply because Danny has also scored more than 20pts per game at a relatively cheaper, and at the same time longer, contract. Although Melo scores more, a 1-year rental with no guarantee of him signing again for the Pacers assuming we acquire him is not worth it. If he didn't re-sign for extension with Denver, which has significantly better over talent on all positions, why would he in Indiana, which has upcoming players but are not yet better? Also he had public disputes before with George Karl, who is one of the better coaches in the league today, then we're expecting him to have the same or much worse scenario with JOB, which can affect the team chemistry and his level of play. And he also had some off-court issues in the past, which is critical for this team.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Some of you are saying you would do the trade only if Melo signed a long term deal. I think that's a silly position to take. Why? Because I think if Melo wanted out he would rock the boat until he was traded. So a long term contract means nothing. I believe Danny on the other hand would never rock the boat.

No way I would do that trade.

Some of you would trade for a team serving time in the pen if you thought it would mean better players. NOT ME! I want to like the players on the team I root for. Some of you aren't old enough to realize the journey is what make's things sweet, not championships.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 08-20-2010 at 06:28 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    +1
    He is NOT the guy to give a max contract to.
    For your information Danny's contract is reasonable right now because he signed this contract before his breakout season just wait that as soon as his player option comes he is going to up out and be signed for the max and all the flexibility everybody here keeps talking about is going to be gone.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 08-20-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    For your information Danny's contract is reasonable right now because he signed this contract before his breakout season just wait that as soon as his player option comes he is going to up out and be signed for the max and all the flexibility every here keeps talking about is going to be gone.
    Granger doesn't have a player option on his contract. He's locked in until 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post

Would rather have Granger at 11M, than Melo at 16M.
    Maybe at $16M it is not bad, but this guy has been refusing to sign an extension to his contract that is worth $65M over three years! If the reports are right, that would have him averaging over $21M per year. Do you really want that much of what may be a reduced cap (after the new CBA) tied up in one guy?

Folks, we've been there before, (not at @21M per year, but close enough) how did that work out for us?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Indiana Pacers
    Assets: Danny Granger, Darren Collison, Mike Dunleavy's expiring contract, T.J. Ford's expiring contract, Jeff Foster's expiring contract, Paul George, Dahntay Jones, Brandon Rush, Tyler Hansbrough and Roy Hibbert.

What's the deal?: Including Granger in a trade would move the Pacers to the front of the pack. Larry Bird has already lamented that his team is far from a finished product. However, would Anthony want to stay in Indiana without a talent like Granger's?

Bottom Line: No team can entice the Nuggets like Indiana can, but that doesn't mean a deal will get done. No one will trade for Anthony being absolutely certain he's coming for the long haul. The Pacers would look very foolish if they traded Granger only to see Anthony sign elsewhere next summer.
    Is it finally starting to get hot in Naptown?

i would love to see Carmelo at the 3 and Danny at the four

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz0xAH2ScbY
    Sittin on top of the world!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

If we could get carmello for expirings, drafts picks and paul george would you do it?

Its a gamble but with granger, melo and collinson we have to be looked at as a threat. Get melo here and show him we are willing to continue to put the pieces into place to win him a championship and he may just stay.

If not we lose paul george who could be a elite talent and some draft picks.

Denver knows they are going to lose him so draft picks and potential may take him.

Carmelo Anthony is a 30ppg threat, a go-to scorer with the offensive versatility and the shot-creation skills that Granger lacks. I think you can, and should, build around this type of scorer.

He isn't a MVP contender, he isn't at the level of LeBron James or Dwight Howard, but he's immediately bellow them, an All-NBA player, a top-3 player at his position, possibly a top-10 player in the league. A maximum contract type of player, a difference maker.

Carmelo should be a lot better than he is though. He should be better moving without the basketball (which he was doing very well pre-Iverson), he should share it more, be a better rebounder and a much better defender. I thought playing alongside Iverson had a negative effect on Carmelo's game. Cut his progression. It will be interesting to monitor how his game evolves if he ends up moving out of Denver.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post

If we could get carmello for expirings, drafts picks and paul george would you do it?

NO! I don't like the odds of being able to re-sign him, and if not you gave away a lot of assets including Granger for nothing. PASS.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    NO! I don't like the odds of being able to re-sign him, and if not you gave away a lot of assets including Granger for nothing. PASS.

Justin, reread what you quoted and then what you posted.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With those parameters, acquiring Carmelo becomes a no-brainer. It would be nice to arrange an extension prior to the trade, but I believe you make the trade regardless. That gives you one year to convince Carmelo that the Pacers are on the right path and can be contenders.

If you fail at convincing him, you regain your cap space, but have lost 2-3 first round draft choices (George + 1 or 2 others). Even with trading for Carmelo, we would have a little cap space left to go after either a shooting guard or another PF.

With an up and coming center in Hibbert and perhaps another good SG or PF, along with Granger and Collison, maybe that would be enough to convince Carmelo.

BUT... no way Denver would make a trade for just expirings, draft choices and George. They would have better offers from other teams in the players they would be willing to trade.

The offers are all junk. Melo put them in a no win situation. No one wants to risk just renting him for a year and losing talent because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    With those parameters, acquiring Carmelo becomes a no-brainer. It would be nice to arrange an extension prior to the trade, but I believe you make the trade regardless. That gives you one year to convince Carmelo that the Pacers are on the right path and can be contenders.

If you fail at convincing him, you regain your cap space, but have lost 2-3 first round draft choices (George + 1 or 2 others). Even with trading for Carmelo, we would have a little cap space left to go after either a shooting guard or another PF.

With an up and coming center in Hibbert and perhaps another good SG or PF, along with Granger and Collison, maybe that would be enough to convince Carmelo.

BUT... no way Denver would make a trade for just expirings, draft choices and George. They would have better offers from other teams in the players they would be willing to trade.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I've watched dozens of games with Carmelo, and I don't think he's a much better player than Danny. He's better, but not by much.

Carmelo has more options inside the arc to score, but Danny's better the further away from the rim you get on offense. On defense I give Danny the edge by a little, but when he wants to play defense, that edge can get larger. They're very similar players in the end results, but each have different ways of getting the job done.

That said, I'll take the guy who wants to be here and will make several million dollars a year less for the small talent difference.
    I totally disagree with anyone who says that the difference between Danny and Melo is close.

Carmelo is a better defender than Danny too. His defense against Kobe in the 2009 WCF series was very good, better than anyone I've seen guard Kobe. He played great on the Dream Team and was arguably the best player along with DWade.

When the Nuggets have played against the Pacers Melo has had his way against Danny and anyone else they've thrown at him. I just don't see how anyone could say they're close. I wish Danny was more like Melo, believe me I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I totally disagree with anyone who says that the difference between Danny and Melo is close.

Carmelo is a better defender than Danny too. His defense against Kobe in the 2009 WCF series was very good, better than anyone I've seen guard Kobe. He played great on the Dream Team and was arguably the best player along with DWade.

When the Nuggets have played against the Pacers Melo has had his way against Danny and anyone else they've thrown at him. I just don't see how anyone could say they're close. I wish Danny was more like Melo, believe me I do.
    I might ad that Melo would not be sitting on the bench if he was playing on the US team this year.