Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tbird Topic: My Muddled Thoughts on the Lance Stephenson Dilemma [The Front Page]

Post Tbird Topic: My Muddled Thoughts on the Lance Stephenson Dilemma [The Front Page]

“You define the moment, or the moment defines you.”

That long ago movie line has resonated in my mind long*after I first heard it, and I think it is relevant here among many of the principle players*involved in this sticky Lance Stephenson situation.

For Lance Stephenson himself, how he responds to this horrific night . . . → Read More: Tbird Topic: My Muddled Thoughts on the Lance Stephenson Dilemma

More...

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RoboHicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tbird Topic: My Muddled Thoughts on the Lance Stephenson Dilemma [The Front Page]

Who or what are these "mad ants" that you speak of, and why do they just exist in Ft. Wayne?

/kermit "it's not easy being" green
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: Tbird Topic: My Muddled Thoughts on the Lance Stephenson Dilemma [The Front Page]

Wasn't there once something called Pacer Pride?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I usually agree with tbird's articles, but I think it would be a HUGE mistake to cut and run on Lance before seeing what he can do against NBA talent in games that count.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be a HUGE mistake to cut and run on Lance before seeing what he can do against NBA talent in games that count.
    Congrats, TBIRD. Excellent, well-written argument. The NBADL is not something that I had even considered, but is definitely a great option while TPTB is gathering info to enable a plan for how to proceed. It certainly takes Lance out of mind/out of sight until all the facts of the case are known and a "verdict" is rendered.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

TPTB didn't spend the past several years to cleanse this team in order for some 19 year old knucklehead to come along & drag it down in the muck again.

The only way I want Stevenson named mention with the Pacers in the same sentence is if the former is between the two.

I hope he gets his life together then can get his basketball career started, but not in Indy or Fort Wayne.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I usually agree with tbird's articles, but I think it would be a HUGE mistake to cut and run on Lance before seeing what he can do against NBA talent in games that count.
    Not if he he is an abusive punk.

Doesn't matter what he is, you can't cut him until you have a guilty verdict. Without that, you're starting a president that you can cut someone based on being accused of something. Bad deal, especially to be the ones who started it.

You have to wait until there's a verdict, honestly. Thus the NBDL is a very easy choice while you're waiting. Keeps him out of sight, but lets him still get in playing time. All while you get to play "wait and see" as long as needed.

Both Rodriquez and Stephenson are on the front page of SI.com tonight as enticement to read a story entitled "Athletes and Domestic Violence." Stephenson is pictured in a Pacers shooting shoot. Someone used to tell me that there is no such thing as bad publicity, but in this case, they are quite wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Doesn't matter what he is, you can't cut him until you have a guilty verdict. Without that, you're starting a president that you can cut someone based on being accused of something. Bad deal, especially to be the ones who started it.

I agree he should not be cut until convicted, but he should be smacked down hard until then, he knew the score ( or should have)

As I posted on the Star's forums, I don't think cutting him will really do any good. Up until this incident there was no valid reason to see our current roster as 'thugs' but that is what 90% of the comments there insinuated. The damage has already been done when the story broke, and honestly I don't think it is as bad as most of us thought. Indianapolis has largely shut off news of the Pacers, and I don't think it will turn on again until they start making buzz with wins. I've talked to a lot of old fans (read: ex-fans, i.e. everyone else in my family and church) and not one person was even aware of the situation. My father used to be a die-hard fan, but stopped caring after Artest. He didn't even know what I was talking about... and frankly I didn't elaborate.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do anything about it, but I think they need to keep control of his contract. They have to pay it anyway, why not send him away to the NBADL for a year? I honestly believe that if they cut him, the people that refuse to buy tickets based on player character alone will (a) never read about it, (b) will still be mad that Bird drafted him to begin with, or (c) will continue to assume that all the other players are thugs.

For the record, I'm a Hoosier, and I certainly don't want to bring a New York attitude to any level Indiana basketball. This is my business assessment of the effectiveness of the PR moves TPTB have made so far.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Here's another thought. What happened to that deal with Ford for Dampier's contract? Maybe they can now throw Lance in?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I think the D league could be an excellent solution until his legal situation is concluded, which just might take an entire year.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Tbird, I really like your assessment and your possible solutions to the issue.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

what if the pacers had not signed him so quickly and instead waited until the end of training camp. after considering this incident, does anyone still believe the pacers would have offered LS a 4 year contract w/ 2 years gauranteed?

if the answer is no, they would not have signed him, then i think it becomes very obvious what the blue & gold need to do.

The problem with the Mad Ants thing, which actually is something of an elegant solution, is that I don't think the Pacers can dictate what position Lance plays or minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    The problem with the Mad Ants thing, which actually is something of an elegant solution, is that I don't think the Pacers can dictate what position Lance plays or minutes.
    That's true. We're not like the Lakers, who own their own D-League team so they can make them run the triangle.

I like both the European and Mad Ants solution. It's essentially a paid one-year suspension from the Indiana Pacers and the NBA. It gives the Pacers some time to let the situation resolve itself legally, serves as a (non)punishment for Stephenson, and forces him to not make anymore mistakes for a full year if he wants to resume his NBA career.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of these possible solutions, the only viable one, assuming he doesn't get the minimum prison sentence of SEVEN years for his charged offenses, is the European option.

Even the NBADL would not want to associate with someone who has been all but convicted in the court of public opinion, even if his presence would elevate the level of play in any game he is involved in. The NBADL begins with NBA, which I would think, as a league, not want public perception of the league tarnished any more than it currently is being with the ongoing situation and its nationwide media coverage and consistent negativity regarding the permissive nature of the NBA, and sports in general, with respect to athletes who engage in immoral or unlawful activity in their personal lives while being paid millions of dollars and having few consequences compared to an average person.

In today's economic reality, coupled with the climate of overall intolerance with respect to things considered outside of societal norms, I can't imagine a scenario outside of a complete and public recanting on the part of Lance's girlfriend of the entire story that fully exonerates him (and which fully explains away the injuries she sustained), where Lance is given an opportunity to play professional basketball in the United States for a long period of time whether it is fair to him personally or not.

I really believe Europe is his only hope, and that is only if he is not convicted.

I let Clark Kellogg handle the situation and report back that's what we pay him for. He's not going to Europe, he's already under contract. We have to pay him first 2 years, unless he's guilty and can't compete then I could see his contract being voided or suspended with out pay. Then we would lose him.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to aceace For This Useful Post:

D league would be a great test to see if Lance is honest and humble about proceeding in his career. Honestly, historically he would react horribly to that type of situation, see it as a huge dis, I think. Some time in D league would be a really good way to see where his mind is, imo. Great suggestion, T Bird.

By putting Lance in the D League, would that open a roster spot until he is called up?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I like what TBird proposed, particularly using the Mad Ants as a place to stash him while this is all being sorted out. I think he'd get just as valuable an experience there as with the Pacers, because rookies just don't get that kind of playing time in the NBA, with more coaches other than :

As to why you sign him after summer league, how many folks on here would have been screaming for TPTB's heads if there was no contract and no incident? If Lance had done really well in camp as well and suddenly we were talking about first round type money?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I think the D league could be an excellent solution until his legal situation is concluded, which just might take an entire year.
    No, domestic vilence cases are expidited.

Banned

IF he is convicted, he is gone.
    Nothing else will suffice.
    The years since the brawl has cost the P's many 10's of millions of dollars.
    They aren't forgetting that.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    By putting Lance in the D League, would that open a roster spot until he is called up?

Nope, Lance would still be counted as one of 15 players on the Pacers.

He'd still be a Pacer.