Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

  1. #1
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi..._a_hole_a.html

    THE 'BURBS - I think it's funny that some fans immediately put the Pacers in the playoffs after they acquired Darren Collison.

    Darren Collison is just one piece - a giant piece I might add - but they've still got some work to do if they expect to end their four-year postseason drought.

    No matter what you thought of Troy Murphy's defensive flaws, the Pacers will have to find a way to make up for the 11.0 rebounds he averaged the past two seasons. Roy Hibbert was second in rebounds at 5.7 last season.

    That won't get it done. Pacers officials know it, too.

    As one Pacers official said, "Rome wasn't built overnight."

    "We're not good enough right now... So we have to take a hard look and see where we're at," Pacers president Larry Bird told AOL FanHouse during the Hall of Fame induction weekend. "If there's some opportunity, we're going to be involved in it.''

    The blue and gold need a power forward.

    Coach Jim O'Brien will probably play Danny Granger there at times, but there's no way Granger can play that position on a regular basis for an entire season.

    Part of the problem is that the Pacers still don't know what Tyler Hansbrough will be able to do for them because last year's first-round pick is still limited to non-contact drills.

    Jeff Foster, who only played in 16 games last season, also is not taking part in contact drills as he works his way back from back surgery.

    I'll be on vacation until Sept. 1.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    The only bit of "news" in this piece is that he's going on vacation until the first.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member nerveghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Westfield, IN
    Posts
    300

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    --shrugs -- It's a blog.

  5. #4
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    The always just state the obvious....
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  6. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Member mmpfm1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Pacer fans have been searching desperately for a glimmer of hope amidst years of pain and agony . Many have been too quick to anoint DC as the savior of the franchise. DC has been pegged as the missing piece to the pacers playoff puzzle. However, he is only one of several very important pieces. The power forward position is a glaring weakness. Tyler H will end up being a career backup or role player. He is not going to be able to put up consistent points every night , defenses are able to lay off of him on defense. He dominated the college game with his size, heart and being on a great North Carolina team. But in the NBA you need size and athleticism and skill. Especially if you play for a team that is not very talented.
    we will be known forever by the tracks we leave

  8. #6
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,747

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by mmpfm1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacer fans have been searching desperately for a glimmer of hope amidst years of pain and agony . Many have been too quick to anoint DC as the savior of the franchise. DC has been pegged as the missing piece to the pacers playoff puzzle. However, he is only one of several very important pieces. The power forward position is a glaring weakness. Tyler H will end up being a career backup or role player. He is not going to be able to put up consistent points every night , defenses are able to lay off of him on defense. He dominated the college game with his size, heart and being on a great North Carolina team. But in the NBA you need size and athleticism and skill. Especially if you play for a team that is not very talented.
    good job summarizing the article?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  9. #7
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    I'd say the PF position was a "glaring weakness" prior to 8-11-10 anyway.

    Anyone have Roy's rebound numbers when Troy was out, handy? I know we've talked about this before.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    The hole is been there even when Murphy was here, there is a reason why we have like 200 threads about other teams power forwards.

  12. #9

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    why do people think that we need to fill that hole now? (thats what she said)


    why cant we just play this year out and then see whos on the free agent market and use our tons o' money that way?

    any PFs gonna be available next summer?
    Spikes gonna rip off my face and wear it on Halloween!

  13. #10
    Member pathil275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    412

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by RickDerris View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    any PFs gonna be available next summer?
    Horford, Landry

  14. #11
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,028

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Part of the problem is that the Pacers still don't know what Tyler Hansbrough will be able to do for them because last year's first-round pick is still limited to non-contact drills.
    Not good....
    Not much to do about it now but at some point we're going to have to be able to move on because the longer this drags on IMHO then the longer it WILL drag on....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. #12
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The always just state the obvious....
    It's obvious to someone who reads and posts on a Pacers basketball oriented message board. May not be obvious to their readership.
    2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

  16. #13
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,611

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Yea that part about him not being cleared to do contact yet is starting to weigh heavily on my thought process about the up coming season.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  17. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    684

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by pathil275 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Horford, Landry
    Just Landry, then. Horford isn't a realistic option. He'll be a restricted free agent. If we got a semi-reasonable deal, the Hawks would match it.

  18. #15
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea that part about him not being cleared to do contact yet is starting to weigh heavily on my thought process about the up coming season.
    Yes, that was the only part of the blog that grabbed my attention. Niether Tyler or Jeff have been cleared for any contact.

    Training camp open 5 weeks from today

  19. #16
    Member mmpfm1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    good job summarizing the article?

    Not really a summary. It was a post related to the blog though.
    we will be known forever by the tracks we leave

  20. #17
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone have Roy's rebound numbers when Troy was out, handy? I know we've talked about this before.
    I ran the numbers a whiile back. They jump to over 8 per game. I think it's something like 8.5.

    The problem is not going to be replacing the 11 rebounds that Troy got. He didn't get a ton of tough rebounds anyway. The problem is that we were a bad rebounding team last year, and we traded our most prolific rebounder.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:


  22. #18
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by mmpfm1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really a summary. It was a post related to the blog though.
    Nah it was simply a compilation of everything bad that person could think of to say about the team. Nothing original and no real value.

  23. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, that was the only part of the blog that grabbed my attention. Niether Tyler or Jeff have been cleared for any contact.

    Training camp open 5 weeks from today
    Exactly.
    With 5 weeks before training camp opens there is no point in risking the healing process of Jeff's back.
    As for Tyler, I'd just as soon give both of them every day possible to mend before the grind begins.
    Yes it would be nice if they were both 100% right now and looking good, but we can't always get what we waaant.
    And we ARE Pacer fans.........
    would you expect anything else?

  24. #20
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I ran the numbers a whiile back. They jump to over 8 per game. I think it's something like 8.5.

    The problem is not going to be replacing the 11 rebounds that Troy got. He didn't get a ton of tough rebounds anyway. The problem is that we were a bad rebounding team last year, and we traded our most prolific rebounder.
    I just wonder if it has almost a even impact.

    Troy's numbers were good, but they were mostly defensive rebounds, easily. If you can increase your offensive rebounds because the player that replaces him is better at that. If you take a portion of his defensive rebounds and say they are of the proximity type, those should be gotten by other players, maybe.

    I know part of it's scheme, Troy wasn't going to get an offensive rebound 25 feet away from the basket.

    I'm just thinking that losing your clearly best statistical rebounder, might not have as much of the impact it would look like from a pure numbers standpoint.

    The article makes it sound like you lose 11 boards and that no one gets to play those minutes, when really you could get 5 boards from Tyler, 4 from McBob, 2 more from Roy and there you go. Just a thought.

  25. #21
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, that was the only part of the blog that grabbed my attention. Niether Tyler or Jeff have been cleared for any contact.

    Training camp open 5 weeks from today
    Me too.

    For some reason I had it in my mind that Tyler was just waiting on the Pacers' go-ahead for contact, but this makes it sound like it's still in the hands of the docs.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  26. #22
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly.
    With 5 weeks before training camp opens there is no point in risking the healing process of Jeff's back.
    I think UB is saying that 5 weeks isn't very long, especially if they haven't even started light contact drills.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  28. #23
    Member mmpfm1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah it was simply a compilation of everything bad that person could think of to say about the team. Nothing original and no real value.

    The pacers have lots of flaws. Am I less of a fan because I am willing to point out those things? This is a discussion forum and not a support group for disgruntled pacers fans looking for any shred of hope.
    we will be known forever by the tracks we leave

  29. #24
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,169

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    I'm under the impression Tyler has been going full contact on his own, but no contact while under the Pacers supervision.

    As for Murphy, we've all discussed the root of his rebound numbers. His next tough rebound against the opposition will be his first.

    I think a healthy Tyler and Foster will cure some rebounding woes. McBob and Rolle can rebound. Are newly acquired PG can rebound as well

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:


  31. #25
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Wells: There's a hole at the 4 spot

    Quote Originally Posted by mmpfm1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacer fans have been searching desperately for a glimmer of hope amidst years of pain and agony . Many have been too quick to anoint DC as the savior of the franchise. DC has been pegged as the missing piece to the pacers playoff puzzle. However, he is only one of several very important pieces. The power forward position is a glaring weakness. Tyler H will end up being a career backup or role player. He is not going to be able to put up consistent points every night , defenses are able to lay off of him on defense. He dominated the college game with his size, heart and being on a great North Carolina team. But in the NBA you need size and athleticism and skill. Especially if you play for a team that is not very talented.
    Without it getting into a peeing match.

    I'd say PF is STILL a glaring weakness.

    Defense being able to lay off him is subjective.

    Deeming him a career back up or role player is subjective.

    His size and athleticism is comparable to Blake Griffin or at least it was around when they were drafted.

    His skill level is subjective.

    How DC's thought of is a moot point, once games are being played.

    Lastly, much of this has been discussed in detail, that may be why some of the responses are short and dismissive like.

    I welcome you back, but realize many of us have been here talking about this stuff before now, so it's somewhat hard to respond to sweeping opinion stated like it's a fact.

    Point out the flaws, by all means, but you'll elicit better response when you say it as your opinion and ask others what they think.

    Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Speed; 08-23-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Spell check by Count55 :)

Similar Threads

  1. Wells: Pacers forgetting problems at point (IndyStar)
    By avoidingtheclowns in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 12:08 PM
  2. Mike Wells practice impressions
    By IndyBball in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
  3. couple of mike wells' articles on tinsley, trading
    By wintermute in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 07:32 PM
  4. Thank you, Mike Wells
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 11:39 AM
  5. His best in Past? Mike Wells Indy Star
    By indygeezer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •