Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carmelo wants out of Denver

Default Carmelo wants out of Denver

Sucks for the Nuggets. Looks like this 2003 draft class wants to have their cake and eat it too

http://realgm.net/src_wiretap_archiv...ts_past_10_11/

Carmelo Anthony and the Nuggets are heading to an inevitable split, according to sources.

Anthony is weighing whether to sign a three-year, $65 million extension offered by the Nuggets, but his dilemma is deciding the best way to move on from his time in Denver.

Anthony could agree to an extension under the premise that the Nuggets will trade him, or he can leave the franchise next summer as a free agent.

In either case, "he's going to make it real clear that he's not coming back," said one league source.

Anthony's agent, Leon Rose, could not be reached for comment and the Nuggets declined to comment.
    Wonder if the Nuggets try to rebuild or get talent now to help Billups?

Default Carmelo Anthony Likely To Leave Denver

By Ric Bucher
    ESPN The Magazine
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5468878

All signs continue to point toward the eventual divorce between Carmelo Anthony and the Denver Nuggets.

League sources say it is now a matter of when, not if, Anthony and the Nuggets will go their separate ways.

Anthony is weighing whether to sign a three-year, $65 million extension offered by the Nuggets. His dilemma, league sources say, is what affords him the best chance of continuing his career elsewhere. Anthony could sign with Denver and convince the team to then trade him. His other option would be to not sign the extension, thereby forcing the team to move him rather than risk losing him next summer as a free agent.

During his annual basketball camp in Colorado on Saturday, Anthony said he had no timetable on when he'll decide whether to sign the extension.

In either case, "he's going to make it real clear that he's not coming back," said one league source.

But both Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke and Anthony already are well aware that they don't have a future together, sources say. That became clear to Kroenke at a reception after Anthony's July 11 nuptials to La La Vasquez in Manhattan.

A series of toasts at the wedding reception, initiated by New Orleans Hornets guard Chris Paul, suggested Anthony leave Denver for the New York Knicks. Paul suggested it playfully, one source said, but subsequent guests -- including Knicks power forward Amare Stoudemire and Anthony's brother, Robert -- made the point more forcefully.

Then Kroenke stood up to give a toast and the room was filled with an awkward silence, one wedding guest said. Kroenke tried to make light of the situation by suggesting Paul could come to Denver but that elicited no response.

While Anthony stood and applauded Kroenke when he was recognized, he apparently did nothing to discourage or dismiss the suggestions that he should leave the Nuggets.

"There were other people saying, 'We're going to get you guys together,' but it doesn't become a runaway train if Melo says something," said one source. "Maybe he didn't perpetuate it, but tell people to stop or say, 'Stan, I'm sorry.' He didn't do any of that."

Paul has since met with Hornets' management and appears less eager to leave New Orleans, but all the signals from Anthony are that he would like to be in a different uniform this season.

Wedding signals included.

Anthony's agent, Leon Rose, could not be reached for comment and the Nuggets declined to comment.
    I can't say I would be suprised like this.

I don't think the Nuggets have done enough job to build a championship level team around Carmelo. What do they have player wise that would make him want to stay?

Default Re: Carmelo wants out of Denver

It does seem to be the trend of the modern player, leaving for greener pastures. He has his eyes on NY Knicks if you believe the rumors. Needless to say I would love to see him with the Pacers or the Warriors here in Oakland.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony Likely To Leave Denver

Denver has brought in Iverson, then Billups. They have had a respectable list of big men over his years there. Maybe Carmelo hasn't done a good enough job to win a championship in Denver?

The reality is that both parties have tried very hard. There can only be one champion each year, and they happen to play in the conference that features both the Spurs and Lakers dynasties. So what happens if goes to NY? He and Amare lose to the Heat and then its the Knicks fault for not making a championship caliber team?
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's more than corn in Indiana Carmello.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are 65 million reasons that probably can't, and likely won't, be able to be matched prior to or especially after the new CBA for Carmelo to sign this extension. But, who knows, maybe he will force a sign and trade with this extension?

Could get interesting...

Two of these threads. They need to be merged.

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It does seem to be the trend of the modern player, leaving for greener pastures. He has his eyes on NY Knicks if you believe the rumors. Needless to say I would love to see him with the Pacers or the Warriors here in Oakland.
    No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    More ego tripping (at the gates of hell). 'Melo, Parker, and Amare still don't challenge Bryant's Lakers, the Heat, or Magic.

I think he'll end up in New York IF he plays one more year in Denver and then becomes a FA.

I don't think that will be the case through trade b/c the Knicks really don't have anything to offer the Nuggets. They don't have any draft picks in the next couple years b/c the Rockets can switch next year, and own the pick the year after. Gallanari and the Golden St. kids aren't enough .

You also look at it from the Nuggets perspective. If your franchise and your fans truly believe Carmelo will be gone after this year, then why keep him around for the year?

Unlike Chris Paul where you have 2 years to try to surround him with a team that can compete, you have this 1 upcoming year with Carmelo, and you're already coming up on training camp in 40 days.

You definitely don't want to end up like the Cavs with Lebron.

I expect quite a few teams to make some serious offers for Carmelo. Teams like the Bulls, Clippers, Nets, Rockets, and Knicks to some extent.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops b/c he could change the landscape and fortunes of a team as well

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I think he'll end up in New York IF he plays one more year in Denver and then becomes a FA.

I don't think that will be the case through trade b/c the Knicks really don't have anything to offer the Nuggets. They don't have any draft picks in the next couple years b/c the Rockets can switch next year, and own the pick the year after. Gallanari and the Golden St. kids aren't enough .

You also look at it from the Nuggets perspective. If your franchise and your fans truly believe Carmelo will be gone after this year, then why keep him around for the year?

Unlike Chris Paul where you have 2 years to try to surround him with a team that can compete, you have this 1 upcoming year with Carmelo, and you're already coming up on training camp in 40 days.

You definitely don't want to end up like the Cavs with Lebron.

I expect quite a few teams to make some serious offers for Carmelo. Teams like the Bulls, Clippers, Nets, Rockets, and Knicks to some extent.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops b/c he could change the landscape and fortunes of a team as well
    Bucher just said on ESPNews that he wants to sign his extension with the Nugs with the understanding he'd then be traded (before this season). So, screw you very much, Denver, basically.

The Hornets will likely try to move heaven and earth to pair him with CP3, regardless of the fact they just got Ariza. They just traded their best chip in Collison, though (I'm blanking on where he ended up. Anyone? Whoever picked him up is a lucky, lucky team with a bright future. The Pacers should be so fortunate.) Anyway, hopefully we get involved in a 3-way trade somehow and pick up another young building block.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    Denver has brought in Iverson, then Billups. They have had a respectable list of big men over his years there. Maybe Carmelo hasn't done a good enough job to win a championship in Denver?

The reality is that both parties have tried very hard. There can only be one champion each year, and they happen to play in the conference that features both the Spurs and Lakers dynasties. So what happens if goes to NY? He and Amare lose to the Heat and then its the Knicks fault for not making a championship caliber team?
    I agree completely with this. What else was Denver supposed to do? I still can't believe they managed to turn Iverson into Billups.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Miami Bound.

lmao

maybe if melo is traded we can finagle our way into a pf somehow
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers2012 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Melo either gets dealt to the Knicks after signing that lucrative extension or he signs as a free agent. Either way, he is New York bound.

For Denver, its a sad situation, they put a lot into their team, but the truth is, they didn't have the right formula. They got Chauncey Billups about three years too late to really build on a stable long term solution. They thought Kenyon Martin was their answer down low years back, but injuries and egos damaged that, as well as acquired often troubled JR Smith. I did like Ty Lawson as their successor to Billups. All in all, I think to many players without championship pedigrees that never materialized into a championship formula.

*Can't forget Nene either. Talent wise, very deep, maturity wise??? Al Harrington for 3.

Giving up Camby for nothing in order to stay under the L.T. was a bad move, and this was at a time when they really needed a big man. They haven't gone to the extent many teams do to build a team around their franchise player.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate the modern NBA "superstar." LeBron, Bosh, Amar'e, and now apparently Paul and Melo. Every one of those players had GMs and teammates who would walk through fire for them and each of them wants to take the easy way out and walk away. I'd respect them if they took massive paycuts to play with other teams but it's always going to be "give me my max dollars and trade me to the exact team that I want to play for" until one of these GMs decides not to play ball. I hope it's the Nuggets' GM and Melo has to "settle" for 5yrs/$85M instead of 6yrs/$120M somewhere else.

Dirk Nowitzki is such a perfect anti-superstar that I can't help but cheer for him and his imperfect supporting cast. Has any modern player done more with less than Dirk? He's had 10 years of one-dimensional, overrated, old teammates and is still in the conversation every single year as the playoffs begin. I wish more players would follow his example.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Agree. What else could Denver have done? (Outside of getting a coach that can draw up inbound plays).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Had LeBron, while he was still in Cleveland, had the talent Carmelo had in Denver, they'd have won the East every year.

I would not blame for Melo wanting to build their own "Heat trio".
    If your can build a champ team with agreement between players,
    why wast time for waiting the stupid GM to do the same?

Banned

I would trade Danny and whoever for Melo all day long, that guy is a beast.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

I think New Jersey has the assets but does Melo really want to end up there (and Brooklyn). The only possible role I see the Pacers playing is as a source of expiring contracts, but nothing is coming to mind right now.

New York has jack when it comes to assets.

Send him to the Clippers.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Agree. What else could Denver have done? (Outside of getting a coach that can draw up inbound plays).
    Apparently, the Nuggets are having issues in upper management and ownership. Mark Warkentein, who was exec of the year a couple years ago and well regarded, was not brought back. Neither was Rex Chapman.

A guy named Bret Bearup is playing a similar role to the Nugz owner as Robert Rowell played with the Warriors. And that's not a good thing. At all. Basically, he's the owner's buddy and thinks he knows more than guys like with actual experience running a team like Warkentein and Chapman. Anyone who is playing the role of GM has to report to this Bearup dude, and that's why nobody with any reputable amount of experience wants to work for the Nugz. These fragile ego know nothings like Bearup and Rowell are guys who help run franchises into the ground.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15764171

Then there's issues with whether or not Stan Kroenke is going to buy the St. Louis Rams or not. I'm not sure what that means for his Nugz, but it's clear that everything in pro sports starts up top. And when you have some kind of dysfunction up top, it trickles down and creates an unstable environment. It's been illustrated over and over again in this league how bad ownership can just wreck a franchise and the Nugz are apparently headed down that path.

As a Warrior fan, this kind of thing sounds oddly familiar

All of this reflects on the man at the top. Kroenke's aversion to publicity in a very public business has created an odd disconnect in the organization: Everyone is publicly accountable except for the owner, his adviser and his son.

So the elder Kroenke hires people to provide the public accountability required of a pro sports team's front office — Kiki Vandeweghe, Warkentien, Chapman — and then tires of them and the publicity they receive. More than one Nuggets official over the years has asked me to keep his name out of the paper so as not to antagonize the owner.
    You could've just swapped out Kroenke's name with Chris Cohan and it would've read perfectly. That's a pretty scary thought. If I were Carmelo, I'd want out to.
    Last edited by d_c; 08-17-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    By Ric Bucher
    ESPN The Magazine
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5468878

I can't say I would be suprised like this.

I don't think the Nuggets have done enough job to build a championship level team around Carmelo. What do they have player wise that would make him want to stay?
    He's a talented chukker. Nothing more.
    Why would you think he was good enough to build a championship team around?

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    He's a talented chukker. Nothing more.
    Why would you think he was good enough to build a championship team around?
    I dunno. Maybe he's not the very, very best, but he's probably in the tier right below that. He's been one of the most gifted scorers of the decade.

And if you wouldn't bother building around Carmelo, why then even waste time building around Granger, who is older and not as good as Carmelo?

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post: