Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

  1. #1

    Default Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    get not wanting kids to see that but really its HBO a "Grown" network anyways.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...yans-profanity

    Tony Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 16, 2010 12:14 PM ET
    Jets coach Rex Ryan showed on the first episode of Hard Knocks that he can drop "F" bombs with the best of them. Tony Dungy would like to remind Ryan that just because the show is on HBO, that doesn't mean he needs to talk like Tony Soprano.

    Dungy, who in 13 seasons with the Buccaneers and Colts was one of the most mild-mannered head coaches in NFL history, said on The Dan Patrick Show that he thinks Ryan ought to watch his mouth.

    "I'm disappointed with all the profanity," Dungy said. "I think Rex can make his points without all that."

    Asked if he would hire a coach who talks the way Ryan does, Dungy answered, "I would not. I personally don't want my players to be around that. I don't want to be around that. . . . It's hard for me to be around that, and if I were in charge, no, I wouldn't hire someone like that. Now, I've been around 'F' bombs, so it's not like it's new. I just don't think that has to be part of your every-minute, everyday vocabulary to get your point across."

    Dungy thinks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would be wise to give Ryan a call and ask him to think about how he's representing the NFL.

    "I would hope that he does," Dungy said of the possibility of Goodell getting involved. "I don't know that he will or not but I hope that he does because I just don't think the league needs that. I don't think our young people need to hear that that's what's done to be successful. Because it doesn't have to be that way."

    Between Dungy and his own mother, Ryan may have been sufficiently chastened that he'll watch what he says even if he doesn't hear from Goodell. Or at least save his "F" bombs for when the microphones aren't around.

  2. #2
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Why should the guy have to change the way he operates because of some cameras? If the NFL actually chastised him for swearing, shame on the NFL.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  3. #3
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,520
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    F Tony Dungy.

    I've not heard many coaches over the years that didn't drop a lot of F bombs. Just nouns, verbs and adjectives, who really gives a F.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  4. #4
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,051
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    They're called sentence enhancers.

    When using those words, your tongue begins to tingle. And it's great.

    I drop F-bombs everyday while at work performing maintenance on analytical chemistry instrumentation. You'd be surprised at what comes out of a chemist's mouth sometimes, far worse than what you would hear Rex Ryan say.

  5. #5
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,206
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    If Rex Ryan has the right to act like a blowhard *** on TV why does Dungy not have the right to voice his displeasure about it?

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    pacer fan since 88-89 Mr_Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis/Noblesville
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,497

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    F Tony Dungy.

    I've not heard many coaches over the years that didn't drop a lot of F bombs. Just nouns, verbs and adjectives, who really gives a F.
    F Rex Ryan and anybody like him
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

  8. #7
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,051
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Rex Ryan has the right to act like a blowhard *** on TV why does Dungy not have the right to voice his displeasure about it?
    I'm not sure anyone (I'm not at least) arguing that he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion on the matter. I think the problem lies in that he is saying the league should step in and say something to Ryan.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:


  10. #8

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure anyone (I'm not at least) arguing that he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion on the matter. I think the problem lies in that he is saying the league should step in and say something to Ryan.

    Yep that to me is the crux of the issue here I mean if Tony doesn't like profanity people can respect that its him saying the NFL needs to step in and do something about it that I find bizarre.

  11. #9
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,926

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Tony has his way of coaching and Rex Ryan has his way of coaching... While each has the right to their opinions of the other, and even the right to express it, perhaps Tony should simply acknowledge Ryan's way isn't right for him and move on.

    And the NFL should absolutely NOT influence Ryan's style at all, profane as it may be. When he's addressing the media... sure... they can have a talk with him if he doesn't maintain certain standards. But on the sidelines for reality TV? If they don't like what the mics are hearing and the cameras are seeing... get the mics and cameras away from the team.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  12. #10
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,893

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep that to me is the crux of the issue here I mean if Tony doesn't like profanity people can respect that its him saying the NFL needs to step in and do something about it that I find bizarre.
    I don't know about you, but I can't cuss at work. I also have a dress code. The NBA can, and has, told players what they can and can't wear to and from the arenas. They also fine players for foul language.

    It's nothing new.

  13. #11

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about you, but I can't cuss at work. I also have a dress code. The NBA can, and has, told players what they can and can't wear to and from the arenas. They also fine players for foul language.

    It's nothing new.

    Except that's not a good comparison. Because I'm sure your work place wouldn't allow people who have tested positive for drugs, been arrested, or charged with any felonies to continue working there either. Yet you still see it.

    Rex was cursing a storm on an HBO TV show a show on cable that has adult content chances are the "F" word will be lobbied around. If the NFL didn't want that they wouldn't agree to a "Hard Knocks" show which really is about wanting the "gritty" aspect of a team. And foul language is usually a part of it. "Hard Knocks" would never want a team coached by Dungy because its too vanilla for their tastes.

    Tony asking Goodell to step in and say its bad that he uses foul language to me is crossing the line especially since he's doing it on a TV show and not in front of kids or anything and its not even against the rules just against personal sensibilities. Nobody ever told Tony to stop reference God and that could be considered offensive as well after all religion and politics aren't allowed to be discussed in the work place either.

  14. #12
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,893

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except that's not a good comparison. Because I'm sure your work place wouldn't allow people who have tested positive for drugs, been arrested, or charged with any felonies to continue working there either. Yet you still see it.
    That's all true, but I wasn't making a point that all work places are the same and should have the same standards. I was saying that it's not uncommon, and actually is a very common practice.

    There's a difference in "can" they and "should" they.


    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tony asking Goodell to step in and say its bad that he uses foul language to me is crossing the line especially since he's doing it on a TV show and not in front of kids or anything and its not even against the rules just against personal sensibilities. Nobody ever told Tony to stop reference God and that could be considered offensive as well after all religion and politics aren't allowed to be discussed in the work place either.
    See this is what is so interesting. We should have tolerance for Rex, but not for Tony.

    It's a disagreement. Goodell will either act on Tony's advice or he won't. Tony isn't going "over the line" because, quite frankly, there is no line.

    If Goodell thinks that the cursing is hurting the NFL, the Jets, or Ryan's image he will ask (or tell) him to knock it off. If he thinks it is but doesn't think it's a big concern, then he won't. Or if he just doesn't think anything of it, he won't.

    Tony has every right to disagree with Ryan's choice of words. He has every right to think it should be restricted. Rex has every right to use those words, until or unless Goodell say's otherwise. Goodell has every right to choose who's right, between Tony and Rex.

    I just think it's ironic that you want Tony to curb his thoughts/feelings because you don't agree with him that Rex should curb his thoughts/feelings.

  15. #13

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    See this is what is so interesting. We should have tolerance for Rex, but not for Tony.

    It's a disagreement. Goodell will either act on Tony's advice or he won't. Tony isn't going "over the line" because, quite frankly, there is no line.

    If Goodell thinks that the cursing is hurting the NFL, the Jets, or Ryan's image he will ask (or tell) him to knock it off. If he thinks it is but doesn't think it's a big concern, then he won't. Or if he just doesn't think anything of it, he won't.

    Tony has every right to disagree with Ryan's choice of words. He has every right to think it should be restricted. Rex has every right to use those words, until or unless Goodell say's otherwise. Goodell has every right to choose who's right, between Tony and Rex.

    I just think it's ironic that you want Tony to curb his thoughts/feelings because you don't agree with him that Rex should curb his thoughts/feelings.

    Uh no I think Tony should actually respect the fact that Rex has his own approach to coaching just like Tony has to his. You don't see Rex telling others what he feels may be inappropriate do you?

    Nor is he asking the NFL commish to look into it either. Of course if Rex did he'd have more of a standing to do so than Tony since Rex is still an NFL coach Tony OTOH is not.

    Tony's entitled to his opinion on not liking profanity I just don't think he should lobby TPTB of the NFL to step in.

  16. #14

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    I personally dislike Rex Ryan for being an arrogant lowdmouthed blowhard, but if he had been coaching the Colts for the past decade, then I think that they would have more than one SB ring.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  17. #15
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,206
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I personally dislike Rex Ryan for being an arrogant lowdmouthed blowhard, but if he had been coaching the Colts for the past decade, then I think that they would have more than one SB ring.
    Wow. Maybe we should wait until Rex wins at least one as a HC before we throw out ridiculous "what ifs" about what he may or may not have accomplished with another team. Here's my ridiculous "what if" scenario. I think that if Rex Ryan had been coaching the Colts instead of Dungy, the Colts would have imploded under his leadership and missed the playoffs 6 times while all of their veteran leaders tuned him out and demanded trades. See? Mine holds just as much water as yours.

  18. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,311

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Tony's problem is he believes the coaches and players are role models.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  19. #17
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,893

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tony's problem is he believes the coaches and players are role models.

    While I believe they shouldn't be, they most certainly are role models.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  21. #18

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    It also seems to be a common complaint among Colts that Tony built defenses that (except on one occasion) were nowhere near stout enough to hold up in the playoffs and could not allow a premier offense to carry the day.

    Look, I can't stand Ryan and I hope that he flops miserably and the Jets are 0-16. I also grudgingly respect the super-aggressive way that his teams (Ravens before the Jets, when he was their DC) have played defense.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 08-18-2010 at 01:12 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  22. #19
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,576

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    F Rex Ryan
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  23. #20

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tony's problem is he believes the coaches and players are role models.
    I'm not sure that's the case. It just happens that Dungy is a very, VERY religious man. Cussing just isn't in his makeup. No reason to berate the guy for it.

  24. #21

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Buddy Ryan responds

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ungys-comments

    Buddy Ryan chimes in on Tony Dungy's comments
    Posted by Mike Florio on August 17, 2010 4:23 PM ET
    On Monday, former Bucs and Colts coach Tony Dungy told Dan Patrick that Dungy wouldn't hire a foul-mouthed coach like Jets coach Rex Ryan.

    On Tuesday, former Eagles and Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan got involved.

    Appearing with John Gonzalez and Vai Sikahema of 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia, the elder Ryan discussed Dungy's criticism of Rex.

    As to Dungy's point that he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan, Buddy Ryan said, "I don't think he had applied for a job with what's his name, either."

    As to Dungy's statement that he hopes Commissioner Roger Goodell tells Rex to tone it down, Buddy Ryan said, "Well, it's none of Dungy's business."

    As to the entire issue, Buddy Ryan said that he "think[s] it's being blown way out of perspective."

    Fortunately for the folks at 97.5 The Fanatic, Buddy Ryan used no profanity during the interview.

  25. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,311

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure that's the case. It just happens that Dungy is a very, VERY religious man. Cussing just isn't in his makeup. No reason to berate the guy for it.
    Just having a little fun because actually Tony Dungy does in fact believe players and coaches should be role models. From his lips to my ears that includes all adults as well. I had the opportunity to speak with Tony on several occasions during Colt training camps for maybe 7 years. I personally think the man is fantastic and is legit to the bone in his beliefs and walks the walk so to speak.

    I can tell you when he was coach he had stacks of his books lying on the floor of his office sent in by fans and some that were to be given away for charity purposes. He would take out time everyday to sign personal messages to the fans on every book.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  26. #23
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    The guy who sticks up for Michael Vick post dog-gate is going to turn up his nose on Rex for saying the F word? Nice.

  27. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,311

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    Speaking of Vick and Tony Dungy


    http://www.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor...e=NFLHeadlines


    ATLANTA -- Tony Dungy believes in mentoring and says it puts people on the right path -- including his most famous pupil, Philadelphia quarterback Michael Vick.

    On a national tour to promote his new book on mentoring, Dungy told The Associated Press on Monday that Vick still has a lot to learn about his image.


    NFC East blog
    ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

    • Blog network: NFL Nation


    Dungy says even if Vick isn't doing something illegal, he still can make better decisions to stay out of harm's way.

    Vick hosted a birthday party that ended with a shooting June 25 in Virginia Beach, Va.

    "The first thing people have to realize is that probation officers detail everything, and if he is off track even a little, they're going to come down," Dungy said. "They reviewed the situation that went on and moved forward. The NFL did and moved forward. Michael would like to have all the negative publicity back, but it really wasn't the type of thing that people have blown it into. But that's the lesson for him."

    Vick is on probation after serving an 18-month federal prison sentence that ended in May 2009 for dogfighting.

    According to police in Virginia Beach, Vick was not present when a person was shot. Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, identified the victim as Quanis Phillips, a co-defendant in the dogfighting ring.

    "Tony Dungy can go somewhere and if something happens, I'm not going to get singled out," Dungy said. "Michael Vick goes some place and the same thing happens, and you're the center of attention. You're the focus. Now is it fair? Who knows?

    "But that's the bed you've made and you've got to sleep in it and be prepared for that. That's the lesson he's learned."

    Dungy shares life lessons in his new book, The Mentor Leader. It went on sale last week, and Dungy spoke at the national offices of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America in midtown Atlanta. He will also make stops during the promotional tour this week in Central and South Florida.

    Dungy writes at length about his work with Vick.

    "Whether Michael manages to regain the status he once had in the league is not nearly as important as the kind of man he becomes," Dungy said. That's what I wrote about him in the book."

    During Vick's imprisonment in Leavenworth, Kan., Dungy visited with the former Atlanta Falcons star. Since Vick's release in May 2009, Dungy has stayed in contact with him regularly and talks occasionally with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Eagles coach Andy Reid to ensure Vick is making good decisions off the field.

    "He didn't do anything other than maybe put himself in a place where he shouldn't have been," Dungy said. "But people will look at that one incident and forget about the other 364 days and a lot of the good things that have gone on."

    Vick is Philadelphia's No. 2 quarterback behind starter Kevin Kolb. Last week at Eagles training camp, Goodell met with Vick -- who does not face any disciplinary actions from the NFL as a result of the birthday bash shooting.

    Dungy coached the Indianapolis Colts to the 2006 Super Bowl title.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  28. #25

    Default Re: Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...irly-judged-me

    Rex Ryan says Dungy "unfairly judged me"
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 18, 2010 12:29 PM ET
    Tony Dungy and Rex Ryan both get their fair share of attention and criticism when they speak their mind, so perhaps it shouldn't be so surprising that Dungy's comments on Ryan's love of the F-bomb created such an uproar.

    Ryan weighed in on the issue Wednesday morning, only after his father, among others, had their say.

    Ryan said that Dungy "unfairly judged" him and those on the scene said Ryan was emotional about it and seemingly hurt. "I'm a good person," Ryan said.

    He said he a lot of respect for Dungy, and left a message for the former Colts coach inviting him to camp to meet the "real" Ryan. You can argue with Ryan's methods, but it's hard to make the case that he's phony or somehow not "real."

    In that respect, Ryan and Dungy have a lot in common

Similar Threads

  1. Dungy to talk with Atlanta kids, fathers
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
  2. Dungy: Manning had a second knee surgery
    By idioteque in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 03:37 PM
  3. Dungy sides with Packers over Favre
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 10:31 PM
  4. Dungy: Colts likely to focus on defense during offseason
    By realtyczar in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •