Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not giving up much of anything for a guy who averages 8 and 8 with a 9 million dollar contract for 4 more years ....

Don't get the obsession.

I don't get the obsession of a 33 year old injured 1 trick pony who played 17 games last year, either. AV makes 400,000 more this year and is far far better player than Foster! Lets see who earns their salary this year between the two. I know where I'm putting my money, and you don't spell the name F O S T E R.

After looking at some of the contracts paid FA this year, Andy's a steal! Plus he can play both PF & C.

The Pacers have no chance of getting AV, but it doesn't change the point he's a player I'd love to have in a Pacers uni, even moreso than Landry.

Oh btw, AV isn't a 9 mil player over the next 4 years. 7 mil, 7.7mil, 8.4 mil, and 9.1.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 08-15-2010 at 04:03 PM.

varejao is not worth his contract and there is no way cavs trade him. they are "trying" to beat lebron to a title and they aren't makin moves unless they get way better
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

I'd like to have AV on this team but from what I have seen of him as a backup although a very good one.

I don't think he is worth the money he makes thought at least not to the Pacers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I don't get the obsession of a 33 year old injured 1 trick pony who played 17 games last year, either. AV makes 400,000 more this year and is far far better player than Foster! Lets see who earns their salary this year between the two. I know where I'm putting my money, and you don't spell the name F O S T E R.
    You have fun arguing with yourself. I never said anything about Foster, or liking him, or compared who earned their money more. That's just pointless rambling at it's finest. All I said is I wasn't giving up much to add Anderson. No clue where the rest of this came from.

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    Let's just ignore the fact that he's one of the best defensive big men in the league...
    You're going to try to convince me that a guy on a talent deficient team once you get past Lebron on their roster, hasn't been able to start ONE full season worth of games in his 6 year career, but is "one of the best defensive bigs in the league"? I'm not sure I'm buying that. When I watch him play defense I see him flop Divac style more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if people realize the outside world doesn't view Hibbert with the same rose-colored glasses....

Maybe the Pacers wouldn't offer Hibbert for Varejao, but the Cavs without a doubt would not offer Varejao for Hibbert.
    I think you're confusing how fans view Hibbert, vs team execs. While fans might not notice Hibbert as anything worth having, I guarantee you that team executives have taken notice of his improvements and willingness to work.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I never liked Varejao much. I've watched him fairly closely for the past 4 years, and while he's good at doing what he does (scrappy, always seems to be at the right place at the right time) I just find him to be extraordinarily clumsy and confused on offense. No thanks to him.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    Let's just ignore the fact that he's one of the best defensive big men in the league...
    this is absolute nonsense

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    this is absolute nonsense
    I don't know that you can call it "nonsense" when he was on the 2nd All Defense team this year.

There are six total big men on the 1st and 2nd team and four forwards. He's one of the top six or one of the top four.

You might say he's overrated as a defensive big, but hardly nonsense to call him one of the best defensive bigs in the league.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I don't want Varejao. The cost would be too high. I think his numbers will jump without Lebron around, though without Lebron he probably won't look as good a defender. Still a good one though.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I absolutely want no part of Varejao. And really, he can't do much on the court, especially without LeBron. Plus without LeBron, he won't be getting these rediculous flopping calls anymore either, so his value is nothing on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I don't know that you can call it "nonsense" when he was on the 2nd All Defense team this year.

There are six total big men on the 1st and 2nd team and four forwards. He's one of the top six or one of the top four.

You might say he's overrated as a defensive big, but hardly nonsense to call him one of the best defensive bigs in the league.
    Perhaps my words were a bit strong- I am slightly biased I'm sure, but I really do not like Varejao and would be very sad if he were to join the Pacers. He absolutely is NOT the answer, and I would much rather go into the season with what we currently have. The number of times I've seen him trip over his own feet or miss a catch because of his clumsy hands is absolutely astounding.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Varejao isnt' a good defender, he's an All-NBA quality defender (regardless of making the All-NBA D team or not, I though he already deserved to make it in the past) and plays excellent defense at both big man positions, versus pretty much every type of big (perimeter 4s give him more trouble but he still plays good-to-very good defense on them) + excellent help defense + excellent on transition. Plus, with his mobility and athleticism, he's exactly the kind of guy that fits well next to Hibbert. One of the best pick'n'roll defenders in the league as well.

Cleveland was still a top-5 defensive team last season playing a rotation with only 3 good defenders - LeBron, Varejao and West - and a fair share of sieves surrounding them. That's not easy, the defensive contributions of those 3 players, especially LBJ and Varejao, were huge.

He's also a very good rebounder - his already good rebounding rate (16%) would look even better if he was playing in most other teams (Cleveland was one of the best rebounding teams in the league).

This kind of player - the combination of defensive talent + defensive versatility - is very rare to find. Factoring versatility, I think he was the 2nd best defensive big in the league behind Howard last season.

Offensively, he's a garbage man (he takes 6 shots per game, scoring 9 points per game is actually pretty good), but a very good one. He takes too many jump-shots but that's mostly a product of Cleveland's offense. He's a great cutter, one of the best big man cutters in the NBA - those plays where he finishes a LeBron pass at the rim, the merit should be shared by both of them. This kind of player - the one who doesn't need plays run for him, the one who's there to clean the mess and provide a gateway to his teammates, guys with low usage rates - are very valuable. As a 4ht/5th option on the floor, Varejao is as good - or better, because he'll play within his role - than most other guys. He's better than Foster, he's better touch and hands and he's more mobile. He's also a good screener - and a much better rolling man than Foster.

If Indiana wants a top-notch defender next to Hibbert (which makes sense considering the way their roster is structured), they'll need to make options. Finding a player with Varejao's defensive/rebounding talent + Varejao's ability to play the 4 and the 5 and then also a good scorer, a 18ppg or so guy, is very difficult. That player is a superstar. Granger, Hibbert, Collison are guys who can score. Hanbrough who could be the 3rd big, is also primarily a scorer. George can also become a solid scorer even if not a shot-creator. A guy like Varejao makes lots of sense here because there's a good chance not many touches would be available anyway.

--------

As for how much he could cost, it's hard to say. In my view he's the Cavs best player right now, but I'm not sure how the new powers in Cleveland see him. I'd guess it'd take a combination of taking Mo Williams contract back + some young prospect (Rush, George... I don't think they'd make a point of getting Hibbert) + 1st round picks. Maybe 2 out these 3, probably 3, depending on the talent they'd get back. Difficult to have an idea, at this point, of how the new GM and HC value him though.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post: