Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

  1. #1
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    He might be as good of a fit for Roy as anybody.

    Is he someone CLE will likely want to rebuild with?

  2. #2
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    I actually thought about Varejao when compiling the list of PFs that we should go after. The only reason I didn't bring him up is that I doubt Cleveland will be willing to part with him, given their current state. He's a fan favorite and I can't see Dan Gilbert wanting to alienate the fans even more this summer.
    Grown Man Ball

  3. #3
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,140

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He might be as good of a fit for Roy as anybody.

    Is he someone CLE will likely want to rebuild with?
    Roy Hibbert, plus a pick.

    You have to keep in mind, Varejao is their one and only center right now, as well as a fan favorite. He probably is the closest thing they have to untouchable.

    The only way they give him up for a non-center is if it's a superstar, which obviously won't happen.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-15-2010 at 02:14 PM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy Hibbert, plus a pick.

    You have to keep in mind, Varejao is their one and only center right now, as well as a fan favorite. He probably is the closest thing they have to untouchable.
    Well, good for them.

  6. #5
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,140

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    You could probably get Jamison for pennies on the dollar. I don't see them moving Hickson or Varejao.

    I actually think Jamison could be a really good catch for a team needing veteran PF help. He's got at least one 20/10 season left, in the right situation.

  7. #6

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    I mentioned him in the PF thread, but I recognize that it'd be difficult to pry him away from Cleveland. I'd suspect the only hope for getting him at a cheap price is if the Cavs decide to blow it up and rebuild, and ask for expirings. Even then though, they'd probably want some good value in return (i.e. picks/prospects).

  8. #7

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    I'd give up one of the wings and two picks for him (either Brandon, Lance, or George) And I don't say I'd give up Brandon for many players. But I'm not willing to give up Hibbert.

    But I really like Varejao next to Hibbert. Plus, we'd have our complete young core, pretty much.

    Although, I think Hickson would be good to try and pull away too..and would probably cost us less.

  9. #8
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,140

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mentioned him in the PF thread, but I recognize that it'd be difficult to pry him away from Cleveland. I'd suspect the only hope for getting him at a cheap price is if the Cavs decide to blow it up and rebuild, and ask for expirings. Even then though, they'd probably want some good value in return (i.e. picks/prospects).
    Even if they want to rebuild, which I'm sure they do, they would want to rebuild WITH Varejao, who's still only 27.

  10. #9
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    I would rather see how Ty turns out in camp.. if he is healthy I say throw him in the mix and lets roll with what we got.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to woowoo For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie;1050897[B
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ]I'd give up one of the wings and two picks for him (either Brandon, Lance, or George)[/B] And I don't say I'd give up Brandon for many players. But I'm not willing to give up Hibbert.

    But I really like Varejao next to Hibbert. Plus, we'd have our complete young core, pretty much.

    Although, I think Hickson would be good to try and pull away too..and would probably cost us less.
    Lance or PG for Anderson V? That is crazy....

  13. #11
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,029

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy Hibbert, plus a pick.

    Bologona. Cavs would do HIbbert for Varejao straight up and run.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  14. #12
    10 - 32 - 50 31andonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,581

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would rather see how Ty turns out in camp.. if he is healthy I say throw him in the mix and lets roll with what we got.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Thank you Jeff.

  15. #13
    Lifer 2minutes twowa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middletown, IN
    Age
    38
    Posts
    618

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    I might be the only one, and maybe it's because I really haven't watched him play much, but I don't get why everyone is so high on Varejao. Good defender and great energy guy, but pretty weak as a starting PF IMO. 5.7 ppg, 6.5 rpg. He's Jeff Foster with sideshow bob hair. A guy you love to have on your team, but I don't consider him a guy I would want as the starting PF.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twowa For This Useful Post:


  17. #14
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    I'm not giving up much of anything for a guy who averages 8 and 8 with a 9 million dollar contract for 4 more years ....

    Don't get the obsession.

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  19. #15
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Umm no please. I have never like Vareajo. While I have seen improvement from his game, I just do not like the guy's game. Plus I think he is way over paid.

  20. #16
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,140

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bologona. Cavs would do HIbbert for Varejao straight up and run.
    Sometimes I wonder if people realize the outside world doesn't view Hibbert with the same rose-colored glasses....

    Maybe the Pacers wouldn't offer Hibbert for Varejao, but the Cavs without a doubt would not offer Varejao for Hibbert.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-15-2010 at 03:03 PM.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not giving up much of anything for a guy who averages 8 and 8 with a 9 million dollar contract for 4 more years ....

    Don't get the obsession.
    Let's just ignore the fact that he's one of the best defensive big men in the league...

  23. #18
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,399

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Varejao = Foster 2.0

    No thanks.

  24. #19
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,097

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Varejao = Foster 2.0

    No thanks.
    Sort of.

    V. is a better shot blocker, better finisher at the rim, better from 15 feet. Younger and healthier.

    I think someone as good as Foster in his prime next to Roy would be worth considering. Someone a little better would certainly be worth a serious look.

    But, yeah, we don't have to be in a hurry. Maybe someone will emerge who is far better than both.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  26. #20
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,029

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes I wonder if people realize the outside world doesn't view Hibbert with the same rose-colored glasses....

    Maybe the Pacers wouldn't offer Hibbert for Varejao, but the Cavs without a doubt would not offer Varejao for Hibbert.
    27 years old, 6’10”, due $7 million dollars next year, 7.7 million the year after that, 8.4 million the year after that, and 9.1 million the year after that. Has never averaged more than 9ppg. Has never averaged more than 8 rpg. Has never consistently held down a starting spot. One second team all defense selection (Not deserved IMO). Has never averaged more than .9 BPG. Shot 57% from the field last year. Shot 66% from the free throw line last year. Played 28.5 MPG last year.

    24 years old, 7’2”, Due $1.6 million next year, Team option for $2.58 million the year after that, $3.65 million qualifying offer the year after that. Averaged 11.7 PPG his second year in the league. Averaged 6 boards his second year in the league. Started 69 games his second year in the NBA. No honors yet in the NBA. Averaged 1.6 BPG his second year in the NBA. Shot 50% from the field his second year in the NBA. Shot 75% from the free throw line his second year in the NBA. Played 25 MPG his second year in the NBA.

    Who would you rather have? If you say the first guy I think you’re full of crap, and merely just sticking to an argument that is clearly attached to a sinking ship. You would really take the guy that is three years older due nearly $30 million over the next four years and posts the inferior stats? I think you’d find yourself in the distinct minority of NBA GMs on that decision. David Kahn might agree with you though, who knows.

    But clearly, I’m just wearing my homer glasses when I say that Roy Hibbert is worth more than Varejao.

    EDIT: I just saw your second addition...let's just say that I disagree with you and I think the Cavs would too.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  28. #21
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,029

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's just ignore the fact that he's one of the best defensive big men in the league...
    That's never averaged even one blocked shot per game in his career?

    And if you're truly one of the best defensive big men in the league, you're going to start more than what 7 games last year? I don't care what the rest of your game looks like.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  29. #22
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,140

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's never averaged even one blocked shot per game in his career?
    If you really rate centers strictly by how many blocks they average, you have a long way to go...if and when you ever get there, we can continue this discussion.

  30. #23
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,029

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you really rate centers strictly by how many blocks they average, you have a long way to go...
    Assuming Anderson Varejao is a center at all....

    And hey I think blocks are a pretty decent indicator, and the guy couldn't beat out Shaq's corpse for a starting job last season?

    One of the best big man defenders in the whole league...Somehow I doubt that.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  31. #24
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,140

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    1. Shaq starts on reputation alone, and nobody on the Cavs was happy about it.

    2. Varejao's numbers both offensively and defensively are much better at the center position. He holds opposing centers to absurdly low efficiency numbers.

  32. #25

    Default Re: What might it take to get Anderson Varejao?

    Quote Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance or PG for Anderson V? That is crazy....
    Lance is a second round draft pick. Yes, I'd give him up for one of the best young defensive posts.

    Paul George is project..yes..I'd give him up for Varejao. We have plenty of young wings, we can afford to lose one.

    To be honest, I'm not sure Cleveland would do that though.

    I'd give them TJ + young wing + draft pick for Varejao. And if we got him for that, we'd get a steal. But I wouldn't even think of giving up Hibbert for him.
    Last edited by Sookie; 08-16-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Derek Anderson blasts Browns fans
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 10:25 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 07:00 PM
  3. Boston Celtics' Ray Allen suspended for elbowing Anderson Varejao [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 05:00 PM
  4. Cleveland Cavaliers' Anderson Varejao out with wrist injury [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2009, 01:40 PM
  5. Why not Anderson Varejao???
    By bambam in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •