Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United States thrashes China in tuneup - Danny Granger scored 22 points

Default United States thrashes China in tuneup - Danny Granger scored 22 points

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/...ory?id=5464038

Danny Granger scored 22 points and the Americans sprinted past China 98-51 in a scrimmage Saturday at Madison Square Garden.

On a day they gave their strongest hint yet that they're prepared to take only one center to the world championships, the Americans were credited with a 32-4 advantage in fast-break points.
    "We're the fastest team, I think, in the world, so we've got to use that to our advantage," Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala said.
    Eric Gordon strengthened his case for a spot on the team with 15 points, while Kevin Durant added 14 and Derrick Rose had 12.
    Among those in attendance was Kobe Bryant, who was on the gold medal-winning team in 2008.
    Granger, showing no effects from a dislocated ring finger on his shooting hand, was 9 of 12 from the field and made three 3-pointers. He was hurt earlier this week and missed a day of practice.
    "I score the ball, that's what I do," Granger said.

Gordon made three of the Americans' 11 3-pointers. Though he's been considered on the bubble to make the final roster, he's played well in U.S. game action and supplies some of the outside shooting a perimeter-oriented team needs. He scored 16 points in the intrasquad scrimmage last month in Las Vegas.
    Coach Mike Krzyzewski likely did show who two of his cuts will be, not using Jeff Green or JaVale McGee. If McGee is cut, it would leave Tyson Chandler as the only true center on the U.S. team.
    The Americans believe they can overcome a lack of size with their speed and shooting. It worked for three quarters. The first field goal of the fourth quarter put the Americans up by 51 points.
    The teams played four 10-minute quarters, with the score reset at the beginning of each period. The Americans outscored the Chinese 35-8 in the third, then lost the fourth 17-16 when Gordon was just short on a 3-point attempt at the buzzer.
    "We expected to win every quarter," Gordon said. "It didn't happen for us, but we really did good the first three quarters."
    Yi Jianlian of the Washington Wizards scored 13 points for China.
    Both teams will play Sunday in a doubleheader at Madison Square Garden. The United States faces France in its lone exhibition on home soil, with China meeting Puerto Rico in the second game.
    The Americans leave Monday for three exhibition games in Europe. Their first game in Turkey is scheduled for Aug. 28.
    "We just need to play," Krzyzewski said. "I'm not saying China's a great team or anything, but they've played, and that's what they do. They play internationally. Our guys need to play these scrimmages and games to get accustomed to the international game."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamiyohk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: United States thrashes China in tuneup - Danny Granger scored 22 points

It kinda irritates me that Danny said "I score the ball, thats what I do."

I don't like that kinda attitude. I'd rather him say something more team oriented.

Default Re: United States thrashes China in tuneup - Danny Granger scored 22 points

I loved Danny his all star year. I didn't like him last year. He was a pure chucker, and despite being a good scorer, that hurt us a lot last season.

I agree with the above post. I hate that kind of attitude.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Perhaps it was out of context....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

I don't think Danny's comment, represented in the proper context or not, is an indication of his feelings or ideas about team. I'm glad he's feeling confident.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5_7_Clash For This Useful Post:

Oh I know. I know he is a team player. He was just a chucker last year and didn't seem to care as much about defense as he did in the past. This is just an indication to see the same thing this year.

I want him to focus more on defense this year, as well. I remember Danny coming in as a rookie and thinking two things:
    Man, that kid can get to the rim.
    and
    Man, he plays great defense.

It's really too bad that we haven't seen much of that part of his game lately but I think he's being inundated with a shoot first mentality by our own Reed Richards. Combine that with limited amount of playing time due to injuries and some of his game has taken a back seat to his desire to be a scorer. Thankfully, he IS a great scorer but I want to see more of his athleticism and defense this season. Hopefully with more guys who can put up points, he'll get back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It kinda irritates me that Danny said "I score the ball, thats what I do."

I don't like that kinda attitude. I'd rather him say something more team oriented.
    Personally, I like the attitude. What I heard "When the team needs a scorer, I'm going to score". That's the beginnings of a killer instinct.

I think ya'll are misunderstand what I'm saying - probably because it came out wrong on my end. Danny Granger is one of my all-time favorite players. Last year, I saw a lot of chucking though - I don't like that. He is capable of being one of the best all around players in the NBA, but when all he does is chuck, he is limiting himself. He also lost focus on defense last year, I didn't like that. So I'm just saying, seeing him talking about scoring is kinda meh to me. I know he can score, I'd like to see him take over a game from all angles though.

I think ya'll are misunderstand what I'm saying - probably because it came out wrong on my end. Danny Granger is one of my all-time favorite players. Last year, I saw a lot of chucking though - I don't like that. He is capable of being one of the best all around players in the NBA, but when all he does is chuck, he is limiting himself. He also lost focus on defense last year, I didn't like that. So I'm just saying, seeing him talking about scoring is kinda meh to me. I know he can score, I'd like to see him take over a game from all angles though.
    But he wasn't chucking. See my comment about only 3 from behind the arc.

He can score all he wants, in my book, as long as he's not camping behind the line and chucking.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post
    I loved Danny his all star year. I didn't like him last year. He was a pure chucker, and despite being a good scorer, that hurt us a lot last season.

I agree with the above post. I hate that kind of attitude.
    Give me a break, Danny wasn't any less efficient scoring the ball last year than he was during his all-star campaign. When healthy, his shooting %'s were at the exact same level.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Oh I know. I know he is a team player. He was just a chucker last year and didn't seem to care as much about defense as he did in the past. This is just an indication to see the same thing this year.
    Danny has been an offensively focused player for the Pacers since he stepped on the court his rookie season.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Kinda nice to see this headline on espn.com, "Granger, U.S. smack China in scrimmage"

Quote Originally Posted by greenway84 View Post
    I agree 100% Everything that made him great (Defense, Hustle, Rebounding) All got lost after he made the all star team. Turned into a pre-modona that wants to score a ton of point and thats about it. Dont get me wrong I love him, but he needs to get back to what made him great.
    Welcome Greenway, this is DGrangeRx33 from RealGM.

I think we need not be too critical of what he said. He just mentions his role on the USA team. He's there to be one of the scorers and can space out the court for the other guys to operate.

Turned into a pre-modona
    So... he's not yet a mother?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    So... he's not yet a mother?
    I think he meant prima donna. It is an Italian term for first lady, originally used for the lead lady singer in an opera. To someone who has never seen it spelled out it does sound an awful lot like pre-modona in reference to Modona, who just happens to also be a singer and most likely a prima donna in both senses of the phrase.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 08-15-2010 at 08:41 AM.

USA obliterating China here in 3rd quarter. Up 25-2 at one point. Danny Granger looks amazing, scoring in every way possible. Has 20 points.
    http://twitter.com/DraftExpress
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I agree 100% Everything that made him great (Defense, Hustle, Rebounding) All got lost after he made the all star team. Turned into a pre-modona that wants to score a ton of point and thats about it. Dont get me wrong I love him, but he needs to get back to what made him great.
    I don't want you to misunderstand me. I, by no means, feel like Danny's game has gotten worse or that he has become a prima donna. And it's not that he isn't playing ANY defense at all, obviously he is. His blocked shots are evidence of that. I just want him to mix it up a little more. Sometimes I feel like Danny is more consistent when he drives and gets up and to the basket. On a side note, I feel the same way about Brandon. I think there is a such an emphasis on shooting long in JOB's system that it's hard for them to do some of these other things all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I think he meant prima donna.
    I think that's a safe assumption.

Enjoy your time at PD!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Coach Mike D'Antoni is the architect of the offense that Team USA will utilize this year and Danny Granger, Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry, Eric Gordon, and Rudy Gay will thrive in it. While it's not surprising to me that Danny was the high scorer with his excellent size and shooting touch, I and most fans probably had expected 6'10" sensation Keviin Durant to be our high scorer. Didn't see the game last night. Was it broadcasted last night on cable or TV?

My take on Danny Granger is that he will be a better defensive player this year from having played on Team USA. He's learning defensive techniques from some of the best USA coaches. Watching their practices, I was impressed watching Danny practicing their defensive sets and his reaction time in switching and challenging shots. We can all assume that the Pacers as a team will take playing defense more seriously this year. Since our roster is full of athletic studs at nearly every position, it's almost by default that our team defense will be drastically improved.

Remember the old spiritual phrase.....good begets good?

We'll see alot of 'good' from the Pacers this year!!!
    Last edited by TooBigNdaPaint; 08-15-2010 at 10:37 AM.

streets ahead

Wasn't sure which Danny/Finger/Team USA thread to post this in so I'll just bump this...

Green and McGee Sent Home

August 15, 2010 · 12:15PM
    Posted by John Schuhmann

NEW YORK – The U.S. National Team officially trimmed their roster from 15 to 13 by cutting Jeff Green and JaVale McGee before Sunday’s exhibition against France. The remaining 13 players will travel with the team to Europe on Monday and a final cut doesn’t need to be made until Aug. 26, two days before the World Championship begins.

Before then, the team will play exhibitions against Lithuania and Spain in Madrid, and against Greece in Athens.

“We’re not going to get a chance to know exactly what we need until we play Lithuania, Spain and Greece,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said Saturday. “Those games are going to more simulate what we’re going to have in Turkey than either [Saturday's scrimmage against China] or the game [Sunday] against France.”

The remaining roster is…

Guards:
    Chauncey Billups, Stephen Curry, Eric Gordon, Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook
    Forwards: Kevin Durant, Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala
    Centers: Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love, Lamar Odom
    The final cut is likely to be a guard, either Curry, Gordon or Westbrook.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/0...gee-sent-home/

I'd imagine Westbrook gets cut...I like him but he's a bit redundant with Rose and Rondo assuming they're both locks.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I'd imagine Westbrook gets cut...I like him but he's a bit redundant with Rose and Rondo assuming they're both locks.
    yeah i agree but i can also see Eric Gordon getting cut as they could try to play a bigger lineup with durant or iggy playing the 2 spot if needed sometime in the game.
    at least it's gonna be interesting how they play in some minutes.
    I'm quite confident Danny wont get cut.

Why are we starting Rondo and Billups against France?