Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger Expects Pacers to Deal for a Big Man

Sports Logo

Default Re: Danny Granger Expects Pacers to Deal for a Big Man

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I honestly think we'll do, IF we are to trade for a big man this summer, is to go after a guy who has 4-5 years in the league and doesn't have injury concerns. Larry has said the whole time that he wants to acquire young talent and then add a veteran piece or two.

Players I could see as potential starting 4's for us, that may be on the market...

Amir Johnson - Toronto (has shown potential, very athletic, if he can add some muscle would be really nice at the 4)
    Jason Maxiell - Detroit (would be an absolute perfect compliment to Roy)
    Craig Smith - LA Clippers (undersized but strong as an ox, won't get bullied around)

I would love to see us pick up either Maxiell or Smith. Those 2 guys, given 25-30 minutes a night could be great for us.
    The way I look at it is that whoever we get will likely be our Starting PF for the next 2-3 seasons. None of them are Starting Caliber PFs that I would consider Players that I would want for the long-term.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    It's not great, but it's better than Murphy's.
    Better low-post defense then Murphy isn't saying much. I don't mind if Jason Thompson is solid on the offensive end...but if his defense isn't that much better then Murphy's....how is that a good thing?

We'd just have another double-double guy that is a better low-post scorer ( instead of a 3pt shooting Big Man ) that still isn't a good defender of opposing big men.

If we have several criteria for a future Big Man...and being able to defend on an adequate level is one of those criterias...then I don't see how Jason Thompson could be a solution. Don't get me wrong....I could live with a BRush for JT trade....but to play's "Devil's Advocate".....on one end of the court...he's great....but on the other end..he's a liability.....how is this any better then what Murphy did for us?
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-15-2010 at 11:06 AM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The way I look at it is that whoever we get will likely be our Starting PF for the next 2-3 seasons. None of them are Starting Caliber PFs that I would consider Players that I would want for the long-term.
    I agree....Theyre all key guys off the bench, but none that I would want starting on our team
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Crazy bellringer was right. There's money to be made in a place like this.
    What does that mean?
    I didn't understand the "profit" comment, and I don't understand your follow up.
    Profit who? Where? ??????????????????

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post
    He's a good young prospect that's extremely active and aggressive and a good rebounder.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jordan_hill/index.html
    Hmmm, sounds like Magnum Rolle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with Tyrus Thomas and his limited offensive game if he was actually taller than 6'7 (and anyone who thinks he is a legit 6'9 guy needs glasses). He also has a rep for being a bit petulant and selfish. Not a true team guy.

Randolph has a lot of potential...as a SF. I don't think he will ever have the build to be a true PF. And if you don't have the build you will at least need to have the toughness and the mentality to play inside. Randolph appears to lack all of those qualities IMO.
    a BIT?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    I don't think Danny said anything that everyone didn't already know.

But I wouldn't say the Pacers are desperate to make a move for a PF: Hansbrough/Foster/McRoberts/Danny would be decent rotation.

The Pacers do have a lot of trade assets and I'm looking forward to their next moves and this season.
    Yep, we do NOT have a desperate need a 4 like we had for a 1.
    Besides there being an "adequate" rotation in place NOW, our abundance of wings means that at least 1 of them will play some 4 just to get minutes.
    IF Paul George shows he MUST play, then Danny plays a LOT more 4 than anyone thinks now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    IF Paul George shows he MUST play, then Danny plays a LOT more 4 than anyone thinks now.
    I know you didn't specify that it wasn't, but I think we're all sure that's a pretty big if there. I don't think many of us expect him to see more than 400 or 500 minutes this year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Are any of these guys really better than Tyler? I'd rather go into next season to see what Tyler can do until we find some long-term solution at the 4.
    Agreed.
    People here have trade fever.
    Just like at an auction.

JUST MAKE A DEAL!!!

We wouldn't have gotten Collison if we hadn't been patient enough to ride out the early wave of signings.
    How many here were DESPERATE for a move? ANY move?

Now that we've pulled off a HUGE move for our future, we can't realistically expect to solve ALL of the teams problems RIGHT NOW.

We've got long terms "answers" in place at least 3 of the 5 positions. Possibly 4 by the end of the season if George shows what I expect.
    IF he does AND Hansbrough is healthy and plays well, you could consider that 5 out of 5!
    How much would THAT change what you THEN would like to do with all this $$ and a #1 pick?

We simply don't know who and how good they can be at this point.
    So to spend large to add another piece that might dislodge a different unproven piece is just throwing darts at the wall.

This team is already improved by several steps. I would be just fine playing the season as we sit and seeing what Tyler, McBob, BRush, Collison, George, Rolle SHOW us what they truly have to offer.

Trading our assets (valuable expiring contracts) to get someone that may or may not be better than what we already have (Hansbrough) is just very short sighted thinking in my opinion.

If we give away those contracts and Hansbrough is healthy and the starter then we've wasted those assets. WHat if we give away Dunleavy and he's healthy and the player he was 2 years ago? (no reason he shouldn't, he was HURT when he played last year).
    We have another #1 pick and a HUGE amount of money being freed up after this year.

Would be a shame to lose sight of that NOW.
    Last edited by MLB007; 08-15-2010 at 11:11 AM.

I finally watched the entire press conference Larry had after the trade. The way he describes the kind of PF he wants and how he wants to play next year was really encouraging. He said he wanted a more physical player at PF and that he wants the team to be able to score in the post. Music to my ears!
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Agreed.
    Just like at an auction.

JUST MAKE A DEAL!!!

We wouldn't have gotten Collison if we hadn't been patient enough to ride out the early wave of signings.

Now that we've pulled off a HUGE move for our future, we can't realistically expect to solve ALL of the teams problems RIGHT NOW.
    That's why I said "IF" we are to do a deal. Those 3 guys that I listed are just the few guys I could see that sort of fit the bill for what we're looking for and might be available. I don't think we'll make a trade for our starting PF this summer. I think we're going into the season with a platoon of Hansbrough/Foster/McRoberts at the PF spot and it won't actually be THAT bad.
    Grown Man Ball

Sports Logo

Agreed.
    Just like at an auction.

JUST MAKE A DEAL!!!

We've got long terms "answers" in place at least 3 of the 5 positions. Possibly 4 by the end of the season if George shows what I expect.
    IF he does AND Hansbrough is healthy and plays well, you could consider that 5 out of 5!
    How much would THAT change what you THEN would like to do with all this $$ and a #1 pick?

We simply don't know who and how good they can be at this point.
    So to spend large to add another piece that might dislodge a different unproven piece is just throwing darts at the wall.

This team is already improved by several steps. I would be just fine playing the season as we sit and seeing what Tyler, McBob, BRush, Collison, George, Rolle SHOW us what they truly have to offer.

Trading our assets (valuable expiring contracts) to get someone that may or may not be better than what we already have (Hansbrough) is just very short sighted thinking in my opinion.

If we give away those contracts and Hansbrough is healthy and the starter then we've wasted those assets. WHat if we give away Dunleavy and he's healthy and the player he was 2 years ago? (no reason he shouldn't, he was HURT when he played last year).
    We have another #1 pick and a HUGE amount of money being freed up after this year.

Would be a shame to lose sight of that NOW.
    I have no problem giving Dunleavy away as we will essentially be set at the Wing position for the next 2 seasons with a SG/SF rotation of BRush/Granger/Posey/George/Lance/Inferno.

Personally, I'm with you...Unless an outrageous opportunity presents itself where we don't have to give up a significant amount of assets...specifically giving up BRush....then I'd rather just wait it out and go with what you're suggesting.....I'd rather "stand pat" and just buy ( or waive ) Ford, Solo or Dunleavy ( more then likely Solo ) to clear up the roster spot for Magnum and then see what we have with a PF/C rotation of Hibbert/Foster/Hansbrough/McRoberts/Magnum with Granger playing a minimal # of Backup PF minutes. I know that this PF/C rotation sucks.....but this is more of a move to "evaluate and build team chemistry with our future likely core of Players" rather then a move for a "Playoff push. This will then allow us to re-evaluate what we have and make a move by the 2011-2012 offseason ( whenever that starts ). To me, making a move for a PF now commits us to getting a starting PF for the future...and ( as far as I can tell ) I do not see any move that we can make for a likely available PF that could make a huge difference for us.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-15-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Sports Logo

That's why I said "IF" we are to do a deal. Those 3 guys that I listed are just the few guys I could see that sort of fit the bill for what we're looking for and might be available. I don't think we'll make a trade for our starting PF this summer. I think we're going into the season with a platoon of Hansbrough/Foster/McRoberts at the PF spot and it won't actually be THAT bad.
    If we make any move for a PF this season....unless it's for another Expiring Contract for a PF....we would essentially be making a move for our future Starting PF as their contract would extend beyond the 2010-2011 season.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any realistic scenario where we get a PF with an Expiring Contract this season.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone else think Larry contacted Granger to tell him to not say things like this to the media?

Quote Originally Posted by focused444 View Post
    Anyone else think Larry contacted Granger to tell him to not say things like this to the media?
    Danny just reiterated what Bird already said. Bird said they weren't done yet and that can only lead you to believe he is talkin about a pf since we are light there now.
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

I agree with the whole "IF" we can make a deal that make sense we do it part. I like either Thompson or Landry... And there are others as well. We got wings, so I've got no problem putting Dun or Rush in a deal for a quality low post scoring / defending PF. Trade fever is in the air! Beware!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

I agree with the whole "IF" we can make a deal that make sense we do it part. I like either Thompson or Landry... And there are others as well. We got wings, so I've got no problem putting Dun or Rush in a deal for a quality low post scoring / defending PF. Trade fever is in the air! Beware!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I like Landry, but not as someone next to Roy. We need a defensive beast next to Roy. Who is out there that would really get us going?

I like the thought of Varajeo.

I also liked the idea of Okafur, minus the contract and the fading lateral quickness.

Milsap would be fun, but likely unavailable.

I don't know enough about Thompson with the Kings.

How good is Brandon Bass at defense?

I'm intrigued with Tyrus Thomas. I don't care if he's only 6'7".

Anybody else out there fit the bill?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I like Landry, but not as someone next to Roy. We need a defensive beast next to Roy. Who is out there that would really get us going?

I also liked the idea of Okafur, minus the contract and the fading lateral quickness.

I don't know enough about Thompson with the Kings.

I completely dismiss the notion of Tyrus Thomas only being 6'7". When you factor in his leaping ability the guy is a better shot blocker than most 7 footers.
    Grown Man Ball

Varajeo is one of the best options, but I see no way Cleveland would agree to a trade.

Milsap is also 6'7".

Hansbrough is better. Also better on offense.

Thomas is 6'8" with a 7'3" wingspan. I wouldn't mind Tyrus the player.

Horford, Josh Smith, curious about Speights, Nene. Not sure any of them are available.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    I finally watched the entire press conference Larry had after the trade.
    Cool. Could you provide a link?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Better low-post defense then Murphy isn't saying much. I don't mind if Jason Thompson is solid on the offensive end...but if his defense isn't that much better then Murphy's....how is that a good thing?

We'd just have another double-double guy that is a better low-post scorer ( instead of a 3pt shooting Big Man ) that still isn't a good defender of opposing big men

If we have several criteria for a future Big Man...and being able to defend on an adequate level is one of those criterias...then I don't see

how Jason Thompson could be a solution. Don't get me wrong....I could live with a BRush for JT trade....but to play's "Devil's Advocate".....on one end of the court...he's
    great....but on the other end..he's a liability.....how is this any better then what Murphy did for us?

Jason Thompson is still a very raw player on
    both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.I think Thompson can devlop into a good defensive player but you can tell he wasn't well
    coached in that area in college.He also needs to get stronger in his lower body which would help with his low post defense.The best thing going for him is he is very mobile for a bigman.His struggles on that side of the ball is not because of a lack of interest,he plays very hard he just hasn't put it all together yet.
    Last edited by nyballer31; 08-15-2010 at 03:04 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nyballer31 For This Useful Post:

Want nothing to do with Varejao. Speights looks like a solid player. 8.6ppg, 4.1rpg in only 16.4mpg. The trade of Dalembert may mean Speights isn't even available, though.

I completely dismiss the notion of Tyrus Thomas only being 6'7". When you factor in his leaping ability the guy is a better shot blocker than most 7 footers.
    That leaping ability really only comes into consideration when he's a weakside defender. It doesn't help him slow down a PF or center that he's guarding one-on-one in the paint. Can he hold off the strongest guys in the paint, can he push someone off the block, can he shut players down if that was his primary responsibility? Plus he's not this defensive beast that some people seem to be asking for. You guys are giving him that rep base upon his ability to come out of nowhere and block a shot or two. That makes you no more of a great defender than the ability to pick up steals (see: my boy Allen Iverson). Once again folks are giving too much credit to guys who are very athletic.
    Last edited by KennerLeaguer; 08-15-2010 at 03:06 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to KennerLeaguer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    Cool. Could you provide a link?
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2010...482/index.html

29. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twowa For This Useful Post: