Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger Expects Pacers to Deal for a Big Man

Default Danny Granger Expects Pacers to Deal for a Big Man

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/08/14/d...for-a-big-man/

Danny Granger Expects Pacers to Deal for a Big Man

Chris Tomasson
    Senior NBA Writer

NEW YORK -- First, Larry Bird said it. Now, Danny Granger is being even more specific about what type of move the Indiana Pacers soon could make.

Asked by FanHouse on Friday in Springfield, Mass., where Bird was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame along with members of the 1992 Olympic Dream Team, the Pacers president said the team needs to make another trade before the start of the regular season. Asked by FanHouse about Bird's comments, Granger said management has told him to expect a move, and he figures they will look to acquire a big man.

"We're not done yet," Granger said after scoring 22 points for Team USA in a scrimmage Saturday against China at Madison Square Garden. "I talked to management, and we're not done yet. What will happen, I don't know yet. We're still mulling over it. But we got a few things still up our sleeve."

Granger let it be known what the Pacers need after recently dealing power forward Troy Murphy to New Jersey in a four-team trade which netted Indiana point guard Darren Collison and small forward James Posey from New Orleans.

"We're going to have to go after another big, I'm sure," said the 6-foot-8 Granger. "Losing Troy, he was great. I can play the (power forward) but I'm not a true (power forward). So we're definitely going to have to add another big, and I think that will be our main focus."

The Pacers have the expiring contracts of Mike Dunleavy ($10.56 million), T.J. Ford ($8.78 million) and Jeff Foster ($6.66 million) to dangle in trades. That Murphy has an expiring contract worth $11.97 million played a role in the Pacers getting into the four-team deal, enabling them to acquire a much-needed point guard.

"I love them," Granger said of the trade acquisitions. "I really love them. As soon as it happened, I called Darren Collison because I was really excited about it ... Amazing point guard. What he did for New Orleans when Chris Paul was out (the second half of last season with a knee injury). And I think in our system he'll really thrive. And he shot it well. I think, when he got drafted, they didn't know how good of a shooter he was."

The 6-foot Collison shot 40 percent from three-point range as a rookie last season. He averaged 12.4 points and 5.7 assists.

Now that the Hornets have gotten a key small man, they'll turn their attention to a big man.

Chris Tomasson can be reached at tomasson@fanhouse.com or on Twitter@christomasson

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Danny Granger Expects Pacers to Deal for a Big Man

Wow...talk about loose lips. I'm not mad at him.

"We're going to have to go after another big, I'm sure," said the 6-foot-8 Granger. "Losing Troy, he was great. I can play the (power forward) but I'm not a true (power forward). So we're definitely going to have to add another big, and I think that will be our main focus."

Yeah, Danny's really leaking crucial info there. I'm just glad to see that he's concerned about the team and has an ostensibly keen understanding of the team's needs.

It's always interesting to hear how much players/management discuss strategy/transactions. Good to hear there's a line of communication there.

The key quote is... "I talked to management, and we're not done yet. What will happen, I don't know yet. We're still mulling over it. But we got a few things still up our sleeve."

Not that he talked to Bird & or Morway but that there appears to be multiple offers being discussed.

I dont think its a surprise that we're going after another big man. Practically everyone knows that. There was an article out there stating that the reason that the Pacers havent traded Murphy yet (pre Collison trade) was because theyre PF situation would look even worse.

Now that Murphy is gone, we're in desperate need of a PF.

Bird said it himself. Granger didnt leak anything too lucrative here. This is all a known for us. If something happens before the season starts, thats great. But I just dont see that happening. If it does happen, it'll probably be a one year rental until out PF options are better. Right now there isnt much out there that will help us in the long term
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

TJ's "Will find out the direction of my career soon" tweet + Danny's "we got a few things still up our sleeve." quote = ?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TJ's "Will find out the direction of my career soon" tweet + Danny's "we got a few things still up our sleeve." quote = ?
    Profit?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    So he tweeted that recently?
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

I wouldn't doubt if it's something involving Charlotte. If they were close to making the previous deal, then they must think highly of TJ.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Good to hear!

I wonder who they're looking at...
    • Tyrus Thomas
    • Taj Gibson
    • Hickson
    • Brandon Wright
    • Jordan Hill
    • Anthony Randolph
    • Bass
    • Landry
    • Jason Thompson

Those are some names I came up with on the top of my head. I would like to see Tyrus Thomas or Anthony Randolph come to the Pacers. They athletic PF that would really held on defence.

I dont think we have a shot at Horford this season, and if we did, we would be risking him leaving after one season...thats why I didnt add him
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    So he tweeted that recently?
    http://twitter.com/tj_ford/status/21016801387

Will find out the direction of my career soon

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Profit?
    Crazy bellringer was right. There's money to be made in a place like this.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I wonder who they're looking at...
    • Tyrus Thomas
    • Taj Gibson
    • Hickson
    • Brandon Wright
    • Jordan Hill
    • Anthony Randolph
    • Bass
    • Landry
    • Jason Thompson

Those are some names I came up with on the top of my head. I would like to see Tyrus Thomas or Anthony Randolph come to the Pacers. They athletic PF that would really held on defence.

I dont think we have a shot at Horford this season, and if we did, we would be risking him leaving after one season...thats why I didnt add him
    im not sure how we have a shot at horford anyways, i reviewed ATL's salaries and it doesnt look that terrible to me. seems like they should be able to afford horford.

i bet its charlotte as well, who does jordan hill play for, he sounds like an intriguing prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    im not sure how we have a shot at horford anyways, i reviewed ATL's salaries and it doesnt look that terrible to me. seems like they should be able to afford horford.

i bet its charlotte as well, who does jordan hill play for, he sounds like an intriguing prospect.
    Hill plays for Houston...he was projected to be good coming out of college. But he hasnt done much in Houston or his time in NY

And with Yao, Scola and Brad Miller in Houston, there isnt much room for Hill

He's a good young prospect that's extremely active and aggressive and a good rebounder.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jordan_hill/index.html

I doubt we deal for Randolph. Donnie is huge on that kid and just traded for him a little over a month ago.

Mood

Hopefully Bird does have something up his sleeve to get us an athletic 4 and maybe lighten the wing spot players as well. I hate to say it but I would be ok if Inferno, Dunleavy or Rush, or even two were dealt to get a starter quality 4 to hold down the interior and grab boards.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hill plays for Houston...he was projected to be good coming out of college. But he hasnt done much in Houston or his time in NY

in that case i cant see much going down, since Houston is only seeking cap relief, and that rules out our expirings. i think hill was drafted 8th overall, but i cannot recall exactly.

is he worth our first round draft pick next year? i hate trading draft picks and it goes against my stance that as a small market team we build via the draft, but if he is a guy we can add to the core players than its worth considering perhaps.

even that seems like a remote possibility, since were looking to subtract 2 players and to add one, in order to sign Rolle.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Milsap?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Milsap?
    I'd love it but I'm not sure they'd go for expiring + rush or someone else.

But then again, what do I know? I thought we had no shot at Collison.

Yao is hurt, Miller is at the end of his career.

I'm not saying that Houston won't move Hill but to say there's little room for him.... I'm not so sure.

in that case i cant see much going down, since Houston is only seeking cap relief, and that rules out our expirings. i think hill was drafted 8th overall, but i cannot recall exactly.

is he worth our first round draft pick next year? i hate trading draft picks and it goes against my stance that as a small market team we build via the draft, but if he is a guy we can add to the core players than its worth considering perhaps.

even that seems like a remote possibility, since were looking to subtract 2 players and to add one, in order to sign Rolle.
    How does this trade look? http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=27vcplo

We also make a spot for Rolle. Houston gets Dampier's unguaranteed therefore clearing cap space - http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...es/bobcats.jsp

And most importantly, we get rid of Ford and get Hill

How does this trade look? http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=27vcplo

We also make a spot for Rolle. Houston gets Dampier's unguaranteed therefore clearing cap space - http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...es/bobcats.jsp

And most importantly, we get rid of Ford and get Hill
    I like it. Not to mention Jeffries is an expiring and I'd hope we wouldn't bring him back after a year.

And I do think Hill compliments Roy well.