Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

  1. #1
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??




    Assuming he's healthy this coming season, could you guys imagine the twin towers of Hibbert and Oden? Oden is athletic enough to play the 4 on the defensive end, then on offense we could use Roy's sweet 15-17 foot jumpers while Oden could bang down low and abuse opposing big men. We could surely get Oden a lot cheaper than we could get Horford because of Oden's injury history and lack of production thus far in his career, and from a business standpoint it would put asses in seats (A LOT of them) at Conseco.

    If you don't like this idea, don't get your panties in a twist. It's Sunday morning and I barely slept last night, so I'm just kicking around ideas right now.

    Here's a nicely written article about Oden's contract situation in Portland that pretty much sums things up from their end.

    http://howtowatchsports.com/2010/01/...-of-greg-oden/

    I say, if he hits the market we should make him a priority.
    Last edited by SMosley21; 08-15-2010 at 10:39 AM.
    Grown Man Ball

  2. #2
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,823

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    assuming hes healthy this season....

    Portland isnt going to let him go. Their fans would be soooo pissed if they let go of the guy that they drafted before KD
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  3. #3
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    assuming hes healthy this season....

    Portland isnt going to let him go. Their fans would be soooo pissed if they let go of the guy that they drafted before KD
    Their fans are already pissed that they drafted him over KD anyway. They're going to have a tough decision to make after this season though. If he comes back this season and is able to play at least 65-70 game and puts up decent numbers (13 and 9 with a couple blocks per), what do they do contract wise? They won't max him out, but they'll have to give him more than what he has shown he's worth so far. They'll basically be paying him for potential (like they do in the NFL) and will have to decide if they're willing to tie up long term money for a guy who has had serious injury problems. He's scheduled to make $6.7 million this season and then Portland will have to decide if they want to make the qualifying offer next summer of $8.8 million. I'm not saying that it's LIKELY that we sign Oden, but that if Portland doesn't feel like he's worth long term money, then we could be in a perfect spot to bring him home and reap the benefits of their labor the past few seasons.
    Grown Man Ball

  4. #4
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    What MT said.

    However, with their new front office, they may be more likely to cut bait on Oden than Pritchard. Hell, they had such a fun time badmouthing Pritch I wouldn't be surprised if they came out and said everyone in Oregon wanted Durant except him and Penn.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  5. #5
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,288

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    If and only if he proves he is healthy and can play a whole season, we won't be the only team trying to sign him. He is too much of a risk to sign to a long term deal. It could bite you in the arse way to easy. I know they are not they same player, but it would be like signing Bender to a long term deal and not going after someone else who would be a better fit (Brad Miller).

  6. #6
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their fans are already pissed that they drafted him over KD anyway. They're going to have a tough decision to make after this season though. If he comes back this season and is able to play at least 65-70 game and puts up decent numbers (13 and 9 with a couple blocks per), what do they do contract wise? They won't max him out, but they'll have to give him more than what he has shown he's worth so far. They'll basically be paying him for potential (like they do in the NFL) and will have to decide if they're willing to tie up long term money for a guy who has had serious injury problems. He's scheduled to make $6.7 million this season and then Portland will have to decide if they want to make the qualifying offer next summer of $8.8 million. I'm not saying that it's LIKELY that we sign Oden, but that if Portland doesn't feel like he's worth long term money, then we could be in a perfect spot to bring him home and reap the benefits of their labor the past few seasons.
    I would say it's likely the new CBA will help them immensely with their concerns.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  7. #7
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,288

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would say it's likely the new CBA will help them immensely with their concerns.

    Are you saying unguaranteed contracts like the NFL where they can cut you each year? It would make the signing bonuses the biggest part of the contract.

  8. #8
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,555
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    The second most successful NBA player to come from Lawrence North in recent years?

    It might be awesome to see him here. I can see it now...sometimes in warmups, sometimes in an actual game uniform, but getting constant interviews in the local media, but mostly truly rockin' his three piece suits from behind the bench like somebody who is auditioning to be a cover model for GQ. Unfortunately for Oden, though, GQ generally seems to feature younger looking guys.

    Unlike our team offensive philosophy overall, I'll pass.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  10. #9
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    [insert joke about Oden looking old]

  11. #10
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Greg Oden makes Bob Sanders look like Wolverine.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  13. #11
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,989

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    He's on the verge of changing his name to Greg Broken.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  14. #12
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,230

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    I'd love to give Oden a shot...at the right price, of course.

    His problem has been primarily health, not skill.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  16. #13
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Is Oden the right player to have next to Roy? I doubt he is quick enough to guard the pick and roll effectively.

    That's what we need: a defending, shot blocking, defend the pick and rolling PF/C who can hit a shot from 15 feet consistently.

    Tyler: not a shot blocker
    McBob: Not a shooter
    Rolle: Not a minute of experience yet
    Foster: Fading

    While having Odom is a cool idea, it's a bad idea with Roy on the roster.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  17. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,005

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    It would be nice to have Oden as a back-up to Hibbert, but I don't see him and Hibbert doing too well on the court at the same time.

  18. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    IMO, chance to land Horford maybe higher than Oden.

  19. #16

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    if oden could remain healthy, then sure. that means hibbert would be his back up or hibbert would be traded

  20. #17

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Last time we traded for a Portland C we got a washed up Tom Owens.

    June 5, 1981: Traded by the Portland Trail Blazers to the Indiana Pacers for a 1984 1st round draft pick (Sam Bowie).

    Bowie was taken one pick before Michael Jordan.

    After one year we traded him to Detroit for a 2nd round pick who turned into Stuart Gray.

    Do we really want to gamble again?
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  21. #18

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last time we traded for a Portland C we got a washed up Tom Owens.

    June 5, 1981: Traded by the Portland Trail Blazers to the Indiana Pacers for a 1984 1st round draft pick (Sam Bowie).

    Bowie was taken one pick before Michael Jordan.

    After one year we traded him to Detroit for a 2nd round pick who turned into Stuart Gray.

    Do we really want to gamble again?
    JO was the last center we took from Portland.

    And I was a kid when the Owens thing went down, and both me and my brother thought it was an incredibly stupid trade. Pacers ownership back in the day... though... let's just say they had a desperate small market mindset. I mean, the telethon was just a few years earlier, for god's sake.

    Now I'm going to have to drink whiskey....

    As far as Oden goes, both he and Hib are true centers who have to play around the rim on D. But we're 2 bigs short, and sure, Oden might be worth a gamble if he plays healthy this year.
    Last edited by danman; 08-15-2010 at 07:59 PM.

  22. #19
    Member ChristianDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    I would love for us to sign Greg Oden. To have Hibbert AND Oden as our centers would be INSANE (assuming Oden can stay somewhat healthy). This season will be big for him though--make or break really. The thing is his injuries aren't all because of him, it's been because of stepping on people's feet, etc and getting hurt such as sprained ankles and such. It's not like he goes out there and has trouble tearing up his knees while running or anything, so as long as he can shed the bad luck he's been having during his NBA career, he'll be alright. I'm just really hoping he can get it together this season and start to prove some people wrong.

  23. #20
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,758

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    I stated a long time ago that I just had a wierd feeling Oden would end up being a Pacer at some point. I am not a big fan of the idea, but I have had a strange feeling it will happen at some point. What would Portland want?

    This actually got me thinking, what if we could Pry Andre Miller from Portland? Can you imagine a Andre Miller/Collison PG duo.

    We could offer something along the lines of Ford/Foster/Price for A Miller/Oden. (This trade only makes sense if Portland is ready to give up on Oden, otherwise some might consider it a dumb trade that Portland wouldn't even consider.)

    We would be taking on an extra year of a contract similar to Fords, but it is Andre Miller. He could be the starting PG and allow Collison to play a 6th man type role and slowly ease his way into it. It also gives us a legitimate veteran player to pair with Granger.

    If Foster can have a good showing early on in the season, Portland might actually consider this trade. I also think Ford would be a great fit in Portland, coming in as an instant offense type player when B. Roy is on the bench. Portlands offense is built around a scoring guard, which is what TJ is. Also, price gives Portland a young point guard prospect to replace an aging Andre Miller.


    Now I've got some trading to do on NBA2k
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  24. #21
    Member colts19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    terre haute indiana
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    I like greg oden, and if we were able to get him real cheap, I would do it. However, I saw him play in middle school when he lived in Terre Haute and I have always felt like in middle, high school and college he never really was as good as I thought he should be. He didn't dominate people that he clearly should have. I don't think that has changed.
    Good is the enemy of Great


    We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to colts19 For This Useful Post:


  26. #22

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Oden and Hibbert playing together wouldn't work. Too much slowness there. One or the other.

    If I were Portland, I'd never trade Oden for Hibbert. Not this soon.

  27. #23
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oden and Hibbert playing together wouldn't work. Too much slowness there. One or the other.

    If I were Portland, I'd never trade Oden for Hibbert. Not this soon.
    Because troy Murphy was ussain bolt?

  28. #24

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because troy Murphy was ussain bolt?
    Do you think Hibbert+Murphy worked out defensively? I disagree, I thought it was awful - and among other things, in a big part because of how slow they both are.

  29. #25
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,745

    Default Re: If we don't target Horford, what about... Greg Oden??

    Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because troy Murphy was ussain bolt?
    I fail to see where this was ever stated or implied...
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Similar Threads

  1. Pacers financial status & Horford
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 08:19 PM
  2. Was Stephenson the Pacers main target?
    By pwee31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
  3. Al Horford of Atlanta Hawks misses practice, is game-time decision [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2009, 01:50 PM
  5. Sprained ankle keeps Hawks' Horford out vs. Wiz [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •