Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

  1. #26
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Quote Originally Posted by MrHale View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    for only giving up courtney lee, id be a very happy if i was a nets fan.
    Agreed. I've been driving the "get rid of Murphy" train for the past few years, but I think he could end up having a nice little run in New Jersey. His frontcourt partner is vastly better defensively, and on offense he'll be asked to spread the floor to provide space in the lane.

    I could see it working really well for him.

    as to the Magic fan, we've said many times that the Magic would be a great fit for Troy. His problems wouldn't hurt you so much, and his strengths would really help.

    Troy's just a terrible fit for the Pacers.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #27

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Murphy is a decent PF who can spread the floor for their penetrators of Harris and Terrence Williams and punish teams for doubling Brooke Lopez in the post.

    Last year the Nets were a penetrating team w/o much outside shooting. Murphy will supply the outside shooting and 3 pt. As Jimmy would say, "Murphy will stretch the "D" that packed" in the paint to stop Lopez and their penetrating players. IMO, Murphy should help them in that regard. Murphy supplies a commodity they need in that regards. They needed a shooter, and they got one. I wish Murphy well as a Net. I indeed hope he is everything the Nets need and expect.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Dutch Pacers Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Nets are contending with Golden State and Minnesota for the league's worst defense next year. Golden State and Minnesota, however, are much better offensively. This is going to be a very ugly year for New Jersey.
    Have you thought about Toronto? They will be sucky big time I think!
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

  5. #29
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Quote Originally Posted by NappyRootz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His plus-minus ratings have never been stellar but they are nothing compared to Rush or even Hibbert.
    I'm assuming your talking about Murph?

    Uhh.....
    A. Price Pacers 1,797 -1,745 52 840:00 .061 55
    R. Hibbert Pacers 4,224 -4,194 30 2003:24 .014 80
    L. Head Pacers 1,751 -1,740 11 813:06 .013 47
    J. Foster Pacers 555 -563 -8 254:47 -.031 16
    D. Granger Pacers 4,809 -4,821 -12 2242:36 -.005 61
    T. Diener Pacers 53 -66 -13 25:08 -.517 4
    J. McRoberts Pacers 1,135 -1,158 -23 512:25 -.044 41
    M. Dunleavy Pacers 3,107 -3,157 -50 1457:01 -.034 66
    T. Hansbrough Pacers 1,033 -1,090 -57 510:47 -.111 29
    E. Watson Pacers 4,853 -4,941 -88 2296:41 -.038 78
    S. Jones Pacers 1,342 -1,478 -136 674:58 -.201 52
    T. Ford Pacers 2,423 -2,596 -173 1188:56 -.145 47
    B. Rush Pacers 5,058 -5,260 -202 2455:50 -.082 81
    D. Jones Pacers 3,818 -4,034 -216 1869:00 -.115 75
    T. Murphy Pacers 4,812 -5,062 -250 2320:12 -.107 71


    http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusmi...=9&team=Pacers

  6. #30
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,170
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    I'm sure Murphy will be a good addition for the Nets, sorry he had to go, but we were badly in need of a PG. Now we can only hope that Tyler, Magnum or Jeff can fill in, and avoid injuries.

  7. #31
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,634

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Reading some of the comments from the RealGM Nets board...yes, it's just fan opinion....I found that there are some that question why the Nets did this instead of exercising some patience given the amount of CapSpace that they have. Some were looking at using the CapSpace towards the Trade Deadline to get something better. The detractors of the trade didn't mind getting Murphy, they were complaining more that this looks like a move "just to make a move" that they think won't turn out to be anything more then having less "ping pong" balls in the 2011 lottery.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  8. #32
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,771

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    The move carries no real downside for the Nets. At worst they got an expiring contract and someone who might have a ton of trade value in February

  9. #33

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Murph will work well in their system, though his rebounding will suffer. Plus he's a good locker room guy and a vet for the youth movement. And if it doesn't work, he's an expiring contract.

    Very low risk deal for NJ. If murph sticks and resigns on.a sane contract, he'll be good coming off the bench.

    Here, he just didn't work next to Hibbert on D. Nobody's fault, but you can't play a super slowfoot next to a moderate slowfoot.

  10. #34

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Good luck to Troy. I think all the people saying Nets fans are in for a surprise are wrong and Troy will be great for them.

  11. #35

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some quotes from Nets fans about Murphy:

    "Murphy is PERFECT for what we need at the 4 right now. Consistent scoring away from the basket which still leaves room for Brook to operate down low."

    "I like this deal alot. Troy Murphy is the perfect guy for us to get and hold down the 4 until the time comes that Favors is ready for serious minutes."

    "What a deal, we clearly get the PF we've been looking for the last 10 years.We don't give up anything to get him... Unbelievable."

    "This is a wonderful trade for the us. You get a 3pt shooting PF who rebounds efficiently."

    "Troy Murphy... Poor man's Dirk"

    "It's good to have a 3rd big. Lakers have Bynum-Gasol-Odom. Seems to work. Don't be so quick to give away good players. Correct me if im wrong but as of this very second isn't Murphy the 3rd best Net?"

    lol ... well, whatever floats your boat. I'll enjoy watching the other team's dunks over murphy on ESPN highlights every morning (as well as the Collison-Granger allioops)
    So you made a new post here at PD to make fun of Nets fans for being a bit over excited about their new player, while at the same time with the reaction most people on this board have had to getting Collison you would think we landed Gary Payton in his prime.

  12. #36

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The move carries no real downside for the Nets. At worst they got an expiring contract and someone who might have a ton of trade value in February
    The problem with this move for the Nets is in terms of opportunity cost. The cap room + Lee could be pieces to acquire a better player, or a player that could be a piece for the future, throughout the season.

    Murphy will make them a better team, but as long as they don't have someone who can handle the playmaking/floor-general duties that Devin Harris can't shoulder, they won't be in the playoffs sweepstakes anyway, so it's a very marginal and unimportant gain.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:


  14. #37
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Poor man's Dirk, LMAO.

    Brooklyn Ballers fans all must be drunk.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  15. #38

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. I've been driving the "get rid of Murphy" train for the past few years, but I think he could end up having a nice little run in New Jersey. His frontcourt partner is vastly better defensively, and on offense he'll be asked to spread the floor to provide space in the lane.

    I could see it working really well for him.

    as to the Magic fan, we've said many times that the Magic would be a great fit for Troy. His problems wouldn't hurt you so much, and his strengths would really help.

    Troy's just a terrible fit for the Pacers.
    Brook Lopez is by no means a good defensive player. He is weak and soft. And if Murphy is as poor a defender as all of you say, then I would not be suprised if most teams frontcourt dominate new jersey.

  16. #39
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,299

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic-man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if Murphy is as poor a defender as all of you say, then I would not be suprised if most teams frontcourt dominate new jersey.
    He's worse.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  17. #40
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,266

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem with this move for the Nets is in terms of opportunity cost. The cap room + Lee could be pieces to acquire a better player, or a player that could be a piece for the future, throughout the season.
    yup. i think the nets made a panic move there after missing out on all major free agents and still sitting on a load of cap space. the thinking now is that they've recycled their cap space asset into troy murphy as a trade piece at the deadline. the problem with troy though is that he's a specialist who would be valuable only to certain teams, making his potential trading market limited, as the pacers must have found out last trading deadline. cap space + young player is a much more tradable commodity.

  18. #41
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,181
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    And I, we are certainly glad you have him too.......!!!
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  19. #42
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,254

    Default Re: Nets fans are certainly happy to have Murphy

    Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem with this move for the Nets is in terms of opportunity cost. The cap room + Lee could be pieces to acquire a better player, or a player that could be a piece for the future, throughout the season.

    Murphy will make them a better team, but as long as they don't have someone who can handle the playmaking/floor-general duties that Devin Harris can't shoulder, they won't be in the playoffs sweepstakes anyway, so it's a very marginal and unimportant gain.
    Marginal is correct. Murphy is better than Yi. I think we might all agree with that. However, he will not help their defense at all. He will help their rebounding a bit, but Lopez will be snagging a number of boards Murphy currently pulls down. Maybe a lot if Murphy defers which I can see happening with a guy like Lopez.

    Anyway, all things considered he is a player who will make them a bit more competitive. While only a marginal improvement, his presence alone will still win 5 to 8 more games a year. He does have a few great games during the year depending on matchups.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 08-14-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Casting Nets: Signs to lure fans on New York Knicks turf [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 09:50 PM
  2. Nets hoping Yi, team's play will draw Chinese fans [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 08:10 PM
  3. So spygate ends in a wimper, not a roar
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 05-17-2008, 01:57 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 10:32 PM
  5. Insider 1/29/04
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 12:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •