Thread: K2/Spice "Incense"

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post K2/Spice "Incense"

Hi all. The admins have graciously allowed me to post this here. Seems a little strange, but...

Does anyone know anything about K2 or Spice incense or blends? It is currently legal in Indiana, but has been made illegal in many states. If you'd like to get your nerd on and read about it, look here, http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/publicat...c-cannabinoids. Spice/K2 are herbal blends of incense that are sprayed with a synthetic cannabinoid, similar to a natural cannabinoid, such as THC (Marijuana).

I am actively seeking urine/blood samples from known users of these products for research and development on detecting metabolites in urine and blood. If you don't know about my line of work, I work in Research and Development in a private forensic toxicology laboratory. This type of testing has possible applications in the compliance monitoring of patients on medications for pain management, postmortem analyses in coroner and medical examiner cases, DUIs/DWIs, etc. As an example, a person is stopped for driving erratically at night by the police. He fails a few field sobriety tests and is asked to submit to a urine test. Urine tests come back totally negative for the typical drugs of abuse. Person readily admits to smoking Spice 1 hour prior to getting in the car. At the moment, very little is known about the metabolism and excretion of these synthetic drugs. There are many of these synthetic compounds found in the herbal blends; I've detected 5 - 6 different compounds in my own research on the herbal blends.

If you do know of these compounds or use them yourselves and would be willing to serve the greater good and come to my lab to "donate" some urine or blood, please let me know. Remember, this is all for research and development purposes. PM would be good, but if you have a question about this, you can ask here to. Also, remember, this is not illegal in this state, so no laws are being circumvented.

Thanks,

Stryder

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: K2/Spice "Incense"

Your link is broken.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where is your lab?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I assume you are developing drug screening/testing technology? Or are you developing technology that can tell the difference between synthetic cannabinoids and natural?

There's an odd little contradition/irony that could develop here as well.

It may be tough to convince a recreational drug user to help develop a test that, years later, could be used against them on the job market. I'm wondering if there is a financial incentive to participate? How else will you find participants?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where is your lab?
    West side of Indy, near the old airport.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I assume you are developing drug screening/testing technology? Or are you developing technology that can tell the difference between synthetic cannabinoids and natural?

There's an odd little contradition/irony that could develop here as well.

It may be tough to convince a recreational drug user to help develop a test that, years later, could be used against them on the job market. I'm wondering if there is a financial incentive to participate? How else will you find participants?
    Yes, it is a new method for screening for these sythetic cannabinoids, as well as confirmation and quantitation of these metabolites in blood, urine, etc. It is also able to differentiate between the normal/natural cannabinoids and synthetics.

No financial incentive, other than me buying lunch. Honestly, this is similar to the Salvia craze that went on last year, so I have a feeling many states won't ban it.

Another fact: Since January 2010, there have been 66 incidents in Indiana regarding K2/Spice or other synthetic cannabinoids in hospitals/ERs. This type of test will also help in those scenarios of an adverse interaction with the substance and a common method to quickly detect and identify any possible synthetic cannabinoids in a person's system who is suffering adverse effects in an emergency room setting. It's not always about the cops and how they're out to get you.
    Last edited by Stryder; 08-13-2010 at 06:07 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I never considered the uses for a hospital.

Thank you very much for explaining further.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 08-14-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

As a member of the drug discovery & pharmaceutical research community, I should comment how completely risky it is to use any of these synthetic cannabinoids, and for reasons other than their ability to activate Cannabinoid receptors. We know next-to-nothing about potential side effects, since none of these compounds have gone through the three levels of human clinical trials and 10+ years of study needed to have any clue about their dangers. It took a wide patient population to identify the liabilities of, for example, of Vioxx and Phen-Fen before it became obvious that they were dangereous.

Synthetic cannabinoids were discovered based opon how the molecules bind to cells with overabundant cannabinoid receptors. To think that it is then safe to ingest them is crazy. The toxicities, both short term and long term, are totally unknown. Maybe they "wash out" quickly and affect few other targets in the human body, but this a leap of faith, and for what, exactly?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    As a member of the drug discovery & pharmaceutical research community, I should comment how completely risky it is to use any of these synthetic cannabinoids, and for reasons other than their ability to activate Cannabinoid receptors. We know next-to-nothing about potential side effects, since none of these compounds have gone through the three levels of human clinical trials and 10+ years of study needed to have any clue about their dangers. It took a wide patient population to identify the liabilities of, for example, of Vioxx and Phen-Fen before it became obvious that they were dangereous.

Synthetic cannabinoids were discovered based opon how the molecules bind to cells with overabundant cannabinoid receptors. To think that it is then safe to ingest them is crazy. The toxicities, both short term and long term, are totally unknown. Maybe they "wash out" quickly and affect few other targets in the human body, but this a leap of faith, and for what, exactly?
    Thanks, SP. That's why I was hesitant in posting this but it's for the greater good.

Nerd.
    Mood

As of August 16th, K2/Spice has now been banned in Morgan and Boone counties in Indiana.

Mood

My pothead friend has not tried the spice yet out of some fears but has tried the salvia divinorum and liked that effect similiar to the "good ole sticky icky" as he calls it. He said he likes the immediate body buzz that Salvia gives him but it lasting effects are way shorter than the original blend.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    My pothead friend has not tried the spice yet out of some fears but has tried the salvia divinorum and liked that effect similiar to the "good ole sticky icky" as he calls it. He said he likes the immediate body buzz that Salvia gives him but it lasting effects are way shorter than the original blend.
    Yes, Salvia is another plant material that is smoked. We have methods for detecting that one.

The DEA has announced that within 30 days there will be an "emergency scheduling” of synthetic cannabimimetic compounds currently sold in herbal incense products.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/pressrel/pr112410.html

layman's explanation: http://cenblog.org/terra-sigillata/2...tic-marijuana/
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    As of August 16th, K2/Spice has now been banned in Morgan and Boone counties in Indiana.
    John Barnes wrote a bill to get it banded in Marion county.

Mood

It's banned in Lawrence County.

Nerd.
    Mood

DEA has actually emergency scheduled four main components of K2/Spice.

Oops: I didn't see Slick's message from above.
    Last edited by Stryder; 11-29-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    The DEA has announced that within 30 days there will be an "emergency scheduling” of synthetic cannabimimetic compounds currently sold in herbal incense products.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/pressrel/pr112410.html

layman's explanation: http://cenblog.org/terra-sigillata/2...tic-marijuana/
    This only accounts for JWH-018, 073, 200, CP47,497 and a cyclo compound. There are other compounds showing up in other 'blends'.
    Last edited by Stryder; 11-29-2010 at 03:25 PM.