Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Acquiring Darren Collison Means For The Pacers

Banned

Default What Acquiring Darren Collison Means For The Pacers

Heading into the offseason, the Indiana Pacers had one main need. Many people said they needed a big man to help Hibbert carry the load, but that wasn’t the main need. The actual fans of the Pacers knew that their need was for a true point guard to run the team. After having bad experiences over the past few seasons with Jamaal Tinsley, T.J. Ford, and Earl Watson, they finally have gotten their all-around point guard.

On August 11, 2010, the Indiana Pacers were able to acquire Darren Collison from the New Orleans Hornets in a four-team, five-player trade. They received both Collison and James Posey, in return for just Troy Murphy. The Nets received Murphy, while the Hornets got Trevor Ariza from Houston, and the Rockets got Courtney Lee, which also gets them more cap room next season.

Some people are still hating on the Pacers, but why? Their roster is set up very nicely. Their starting lineup is going to look like this:

PG: Darren Collison

SG: Brandon Rush

SF: Danny Granger

PF: Hansbrough/Rolle/McRoberts

C: Roy Hibbert

Granted, the Pacers are weak at power forward, but those three young players are very hungry to play and that will help them all improve. First, Tyler Hansbrough probably is the best all around player out of those three, but his inner ear problems and headaches could very well keep him out most of the preseason and possibly some regular season games. Magnum Rolle was just selected with the third to last pick in the second round in this past offseason’s Draft, and he really made his presence known in the Summer League for the Pacers. He has a nice mid-range jump shot, and also is a great shot blocker and rebounder as well. McRoberts is the most interesting prospect out of these three. He’s gotten limited playing time for Indiana the past few seasons, but when he has played he’s showed great potential. Josh has improved his three point shooting, and alongside that is a very energetic and athletic player. Out of these three players I expect a healthy Hansbrough would start, but that Magnum Rolle would be the next in line with McRoberts being the third string power forward, but also getting playing time at the center position.

Now that we’ve taken a look at the power forward situation, let’s take a look at the bench. The Pacers are going to be a very deep team this year with guys like Dahntay Jones, two of the power forwards listed above, A.J. Price when he returns from his injury, T.J. Ford, Jeff Foster, Paul George, and Lance Stephenson. The bench is going to be a major factor in whether the Pacers are a playoff team, or a lottery team this season. If the bench can come in and score a good amount per game, they’ll be fine. However, if the bench is unable to score, then the Pacers will not be able to hold off other teams’ starting lineups. Indiana has a decent starting lineup, but obviously shooting guard and power forward are not going to be that great, so it just shows how important it is that the Pacers win the second-team battle night-in and night-out.

Once again the Pacers will be playing under Jim O’Brien. I’m wondering how well ‘Collison is going to fit into that system. He’s a decent shooter, but from everything I saw from him last season, he likes to get to the basket more. Now I’m not saying that he won’t be allowed to drive as much as he did in New Orleans, but with O’Brien you never know. All that being said, I really think that things will work out and Collison will be a huge addition for the team, both now and in the future.

Overall, this move makes the Pacers a lot better. They finally get a true passing and scoring point guard. The issue from the point guard spot over the last few years is that they haven’t had a guard that could do both of those things. Jamaal Tinsley was mainly a scoring point guard but had some outbreaks of passing. Ford was a scoring point guard only who never passed the ball. Last but not least, Watson passed a lot and just wasn’t able to put the ball in the bucket. Indiana isn’t going to have that problem with Darren Collison, as he proved last season that he can both score and pass at the same time. I personally believe that the Pacers are now a playoff team after making this move. A #7 or #8 seed is the highest they’ll get, but at least they’ll get back into the postseason.

Thoughts?

Default Re: What Acquiring Darren Collison Means For The Pacers

I take it this is your article, and if so it was a very nice read!

And I agree that the bench will largely decide if we can make the playoffs, although I don't expect TJ to be a part of that.

guys does collison have a nickname?
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's hope not.

--------------------------------------

As for the OP, there is no way that Rolle will be ahead of McRoberts on the depth chart this year.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Obrien calls him Troy.

He can't let go.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Let's give him number 3, so it can be DC3 vs CP3 when we play the hornets.

or " The Slasher" or " slash attack"

I don't know he has an actual nickname, but I've seen on other Hornets forums/related sites he was sometimes referred to as "DC2" or simply "DC".

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice read, I would also add how much Collison will make a difference on the defensive end of the floor. With Collison and Rush, we have one of the better defensive backcourts in the NBA. This, plus losing Troy Murphy, is great news for Hibbert who won't pick up as many fouls trying to pick up Ford or Murphy's guy at the basket. I also think this is huge for Rush on the offensive end who now has a PG to play with who can set up Rush perfectly. Rush has needed a PG like Collison since we drafted him, I think the Collison move will dramatically help Rush and Hibbert improve with the rest of the team.

It also means that we could have 4 guys in the rookie-sophmore game on All Star Weekend assuming we sign Rolle somehow. Wouldn't that be a record?

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

How about "Young DC" as it seems all these guys like to becalled Young something...like Jennings with Young Buck lol.

I take offense at the comment that only actual fans knew that the Pacers biggest need was PG. I till firmly believe that PF was the biggest need. While an improvement at PG was needed a PG of Collison's talent will have a lot less impact on this team improving than a PF of similar talent playing next to Hibbert.

Edit: The take offense part wasn't supposed to be as serious as it sounded, my bad.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 08-12-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Mood

If he proves to be a truly good point guard, I suggest "commander in chief" or POTUS. His position is "floor general," and his initials are DC. It just adds up.

Of course, I imagine DC will probably be the default.

As far as what acquiring him means, you're right on. It's a huge piece of the puzzle for the rebuilding of the Pacers as a playoff team. Assuming he continues to impress like he did in his time as a starter last season, this is our guy. This is the PG of the future. We've now got a well established wing player in DG, a good and improving big in Hibbert, and now a very promising PG with a good head on his shoulders in Collison. When you have those three pieces, you can fill in around them with role players and bench players that complement them.

This move means our team for the foreseeable future is going to be all about DC, DG, and Hibs. The rest can come and go to some extent because one is already All-Star caliber, and two clearly have the potential to reach that level with the right development, refining, and success.

It also means we're going to see A LOT more of these this season:

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I take offense at the comment that only actual fans knew that the Pacers biggest need was PG. I till firmly believe that PF was the biggest need. While an improvement at PG was needed a PG of Collison's talent will have a lot less impact on this team improving than a PF of similar talent playing next to Hibbert.
    Right, but still. No one felt comfortable with what we had.

TJ: Turnovers, bad shots, dribbling into bigger defenders, proceeding to shoot into bigger defenders resulting in getting swatted, no defense whatsoever.

AJ: 2nd round pick, limited play time last year, injury in offseason.

Lance: Not a real PG, no NBA experience

Most Pacer fans didn't feel comfortable with Murphy, but we could live with it due to his offensive production and rebounding.

I still firmly believe PG was an absolute requirement. And honestly, Tyler can't be any worse of a defender than Murphy. At least he plays hard and tenaciously, assuming he's healthy. If not, well then PF becomes a larger concern.

Well... let's hope someone doesn't look at the first part of his last name and start calling him "Lassie".

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Granger View Post
    ...Once again the Pacers will be playing under Jim O’Brien. I’m wondering how well ‘Collison is going to fit into that system. He’s a decent shooter, but from everything I saw from him last season, he likes to get to the basket more. Now I’m not saying that he won’t be allowed to drive as much as he did in New Orleans, but with O’Brien you never know.
    Pushing and driving the ball is so much a part of his game. Unlike Ford, Collison is capable of both finishing and dishing from his drives. IMO, if it even appears that Collison is being discouraged from driving the ball, JOB should be tossed to the curb immediately.

Edit: The take offense part wasn't supposed to be as serious as it sounded, my bad.
    The problem is it seems as if JOB wasn't going to play Ford. So that left Price who was coming back from an injury, and Lance, a rookie non PG.

As much as I dislike Ford. If Price had been healthy, a Price/Ford combo with Price getting the majority of the minutes wouldn't have been as bad as Troy..or a SG playing the PF. But as it is..JOB wasn't playing ford and we aren't sure if Aj will be ready by the start of the season (although it seems likely)

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Pushing and driving the ball is so much a part of his game. Unlike Ford, Collison is capable of both finishing and dishing from his drives. IMO, if it even appears that Collison is being discouraged from driving the ball, JOB should be tossed to the curb immediately.
    Well, this will obviously be settled once the season starts, but I don't think O'Brien will have any issues with Collison - unless he starts pounding the ball and staring blankly at the defense like TJ did. In any case, consider this:

The white lines are Collison, the grey lines are Price.

As I had said previously, I think O'Brien will install more PnR's for Collison - just like for Price, but we'll find out.

(On a separate note, somewhere in the dusty corners of my mind is the thought that it was once reported/said that Hansbrough had never in his life run a PnR before he got here. Does anybody else remember this?)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Hey Pacers fans!

I am an Orlando Magic fan, but with the trade that happen yesterday I just needed to sign up on here. The reason I am on an opposing teams forum (which I thought I would never do), is because my best mate is a massive Pacers fan and has been for sometime. There are not many NBA fans down here in Australia, so he talks a lot about his Pacers to me, and I do vise versa with my Magic.

About a week ago on the Magic forum people were talking about who will make the last two spots in the 8 for the east. I said I would love it if Pacers made it, but then said I think they will finish 10th. Now, Bird finally made a good trade, and I am so happy for all you pacers fans to be able to acquire Collison for only Murphy (and taking on Posey's contract). I remember watching Vince Carter dominate and score 48 on Hornets last year, but that was not the thing that impressed me in that game (to be fair Carter should have had more of those) no... it was Collison. He killed it and finished with 27pts and 9asts, 4stls and shot 12-22.. the guy makes everyone better. Great defender, great slasher and penitrator, great play maker and very efficient.... He has it all, and does not make stupid errors and moves "cough" Ford "cough".

So congrats on a steal! This is the move that will have saved Granger walking, and gives the Pacers that needed piece.Though I do see weakness at Power Forward. Bird did say he is not quite finished, so hopefully he can swing a deal and acquire a Power Forward who can start.

Ps. Lance is unbelieveable, I watched all of his summer league games (I know it is just summer league) and he is awesome. I think he could play a bit of back-up Point guard. He just seems to be able to find players open and draw defenders. Paul George though..... he is a pure chucker, hopefully because he is raw, that he can be molded away from just jacking shots.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Magic-man For This Useful Post:

I have a good feeling that our bench 2nd unit , have the potential to be just as good as our starters...
    That's kinda amazing if you think about it ..
    2 talented young units to pound the rest of the nba teams into the ground .. lol

heck ,honestly , as a whole.. , if we are going by potential and perceived talent .. (with our younguns)..there doesn't appear much of a dropoff of talent between each position and their backup ..
    The potential is definitely there, now let's just sit back and watch and see if they grow ito what we think they are capable of being.

DC/AJ
    Rush/Stephenson
    Granger/George
    Hans/Rolle
    Hibbert/McRoberts

Then you got Foster, Dunleavy , whom if healthy and back to form .. will REALLY help this team...
    then there's Dahntay , and Posey ... ALL guys , whom if healthy will be key roleplayers..

GO PACERS!
    Last edited by Kemo; 08-12-2010 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Nice write-up, thanks for taking the time to put it together!

I think JOB will have no problem with DC, and if he does see ya later JOB.

In terms of the PF position. It is hard to know what we will get out of Tyler. I hope and pray he can get back to his old form. In terms Mcbob, it's make or break time for him. JOB has to play him this season. I am so tired of hearing about how if he got minutes he would be really good, let's see it then. Unfortunately under JOB I think we will see more of the same with Mcbobs playing time. I do like hearing Bird say he would like to see more scoring around the basket from our 4 & 5 guys, which in my opinion is the way it should be.

I am still pinching myself about us getting DC. I really think he is going to be the goods for us. If we can get our PF position locked down, I think we are a playoff team. So much can still happen, and I am over joyed by what Bird and David have done so far.

Thanks again for the write-up The Lone Granger!!!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    It also means that we could have 4 guys in the rookie-sophmore game on All Star Weekend assuming we sign Rolle somehow. Wouldn't that be a record?
    Wait we could have max. 6 guys. AJ and Hans ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Granger View Post
    Thoughts?
    Well, you could change #3 and #4 in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I have a good feeling that our bench 2nd unit , have the potential to be just as good as our starters...
    That's kinda amazing if you think about it ..
    2 talented young units to pound the rest of the nba teams into the ground .. lol

heck ,honestly , as a whole.. , if we are going by potential and perceived talent .. (with our younguns)..there doesn't appear much of a dropoff of talent between each position and their backup ..
    The potential is definitely there, now let's just sit back and watch and see if they grow ito what we think they are capable of being.

DC/AJ
    Rush/Stephenson
    Granger/George
    Hans/Rolle
    Hibbert/McRoberts

Then you got Foster, Dunleavy , whom if healthy and back to form .. will REALLY help this team...
    then there's Dahntay , and Posey ... ALL guys , whom if healthy will be key roleplayers..

GO PACERS!
    I agree.

And what will be even more fun, is seeing how different players play with each other. What kind of lineups you can generate.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing Stephenson and Price play together. I think they'll compliment each other, and NY boys tend to like playing together.

Personally though, my guess is JOB's favorite lineup is going to be Darren/AJ/Barndon/Danny/Roy.

Small, 2PGs, lots of shooting. It just seems like a Jimmy lineup..
    And offensively that unit probably would do well together..defensively we could have an issue though..

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that now we can go into the 2011 free-agency period and possibly not have to look for a starting point guard.

Banned

Well, I think you're wrong. But we're all entitled.

When we didn't have a scoring pg AND 4 AND inconsistant 2, then maybe you're right.

But that scenerio has changed.

Collison's impact scoring, Hibbards continued development (he worked his butt off this offseason from what I've read) and Brandons and anything we get from George (we will) mean we don't need anything but putbacks, rebounds and defense.

We don't need an all star 4. Jeff Foster will do most of the things we need from the position quite well for part of the game. He can spell Roy for part of the game.
    Danny will abuse the 4's he matches up with for another part of the game.
    If Tyler comes back healthy we will have 48 minutes covered very adequately. Anything from Rolle and McBob is gravy.